shape
carat
color
clarity

How Important is Your Birthday?

How important is Your Birthday?

• I''m the center of the universe on my birthday

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Birthday, what birthday? I try to ignore getting older...

• Couldn''t care less about my birthday

• Other (please share)

• Just show me the answers

• Total voters

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 4:13:45 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Date: 3/26/2009 12:44:17 PM

Author: bee*

I like celebrating mine but it doesn''t bother me hugely. For the past three years I''ve had exams on my birthday and the day after so I''ve barely done a thing for it.

Oh Bee* - exams on your birthday sounds horrible
7.gif
I hope D takes you out and makes a very big deal of you (and possibly makes sure another pair of Manolos appear
2.gif
) to make up for that!
31.gif

Yep it was definitely horrible the last few years! I hate studying on my bday. D did take me out when they were done but no Manolos landed at my feet
8.gif
At least when I graduate I can buy myself a bday pair! That restaurant you''re going too sounds delish!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 4:17:31 PM
Author: BizouMom
My birthday is St. Patrick''s Day and when I was a very little kid, I thought that everyone was celebrating my birthday with all the green balloons and shamrocks everywhere. Didn''t take me long to get straight on that one though. However, it was fun in my younger partying days. Always walked to the front of the line at the Irish bars and was let right in!

Happy Birthday Octavia!

Haha - that is HILARIOUS, I can totally see you thanking people for the balloons and the parade when you were little - too cute!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:31:23 PM
Author: mia1181
A-Gretch- You guys are just like us! Not that DH''s family doesn''t care about birthdays, they just seemed to lack the creativity that my family had. I have 5 siblings, so Birthdays were a huge deal to us. It was the only day that we got to feel special. We were king/queen for a day also. No chores, you picked the meals, what to watch on TV, where to go, etc. DH is a fairly romantic guy so he does okay with Birthdays, but he doesn''t go the extra mile my family did. Like he might start a small arguement on my birthday, to which I usually respond with ''Oh HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!''
20.gif
In a sarcastic tone. In my family if you had an issue with someone, you wouldn''t dare bring it up on their birthday!

But I did choose ''other'' on my poll because I don''t actually make a big deal on my B-day to others. I''m not one to countdown to everyone when my birthday is coming. I don''t expect my friend to make a big deal out of it or anything. It''s just supposed to be a big deal to DH.

Happy Birthday BTW!
emotion-19.gif
We''ll be the same age tomorrow... until November!

Hehe - same with my family, no fights/criticism of the birthday girl/boy on their birthday. In my family, that alone was a vacation all by itself
3.gif
20.gif

Thanks for the b-day wishes
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:57:25 PM
Author: diamondrnglover
My birthday is Dec 30, so it has been forgetten since I was born, even when I was young no ever celebrated my birthday
38.gif
so I guess it is just in my head that its just another day
15.gif
but I do make sure my kids know that there birthday is very special to me
36.gif

Awww...that''s so sad! I''m sorry everyone overlooks your birthday. That''s very sweet that you make a big deal out of it for your kids though - I am sure they will cherish that as they grow older
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 6:02:02 PM
Author: bee*

Yep it was definitely horrible the last few years! I hate studying on my bday. D did take me out when they were done but no Manolos landed at my feet
8.gif
At least when I graduate I can buy myself a bday pair! That restaurant you''re going too sounds delish!

I think we need to have a discussion with D about the necessity of Manolos for special occasions
31.gif
27.gif

Thanks - Greens has been my favorite restaurant ever since I was little. I''m a foodie, but have also been a vegetarian since I was 5, so its a perfect combo. There''s actually a pretty cute (if I do say so myself
2.gif
) picture of me dressed up as a full-on princess - pink leotard, pink frilly tutu-like skirt, tiara, and pink feather boa - in the parking lot getting ready to go there for my 6th birthday
3.gif

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
FI used to think b-days weren''t that big of a deal...but I think I''m bringing him ''round to my way of thinking
25.gif
. I love having a birthday and I love throwing birthday bashes for other people. What better excuse for a party, fun times, and happy people?

I don''t care how old I get, I''m going to loudly and proudly exclaim my age at each and every one of my birthdays.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Listen... I only get 1 day a year to call my own and you bet I will take full advantage of it. I need the card, the wishes, and the cake with candles.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I guess I''ve always been underwhelmed by it that it doesn''t make a whole lot of difference...

cheers--Sharon

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We grew up not celebrating any holidays, so it was never a big deal to me. Once husband and I got together tho, he started making me a nice cake every year and would draw a heart on it or something sweet like that. We don''t make each others birthday a massive deal other than "OMG you''re going to be 35?? Gah you''re so old I can''t believe I''m married to an old man like you" "Oh yeah? Well, you turn 35 4 months after me ya old bag" We spend a lot of time throughout the year giving each other a bunch of crap about it. The kids get a party, but we don''t sing and we don''t spend a ton of money decorating..they get character napkins and plates and my cousin makes a cool cake.

I was born on my grampa''s birthday (just like he predicted to mom) and every year, he''d ask "How old are we today, Love?" Not getting presents never mattered to me, but I always looked forward to that every year. He''s been gone 20 years, and every year when I wake up on my birthday, I remember him and smile.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 6:47:02 PM
Author: Aloros
FI used to think b-days weren''t that big of a deal...but I think I''m bringing him ''round to my way of thinking
25.gif
. I love having a birthday and I love throwing birthday bashes for other people. What better excuse for a party, fun times, and happy people?

I don''t care how old I get, I''m going to loudly and proudly exclaim my age at each and every one of my birthdays.

Hehe that''s a wonderful philosophy Aloros. I''m not really into the being embarrassed about my age thing either, but maybe if I was/looked older it would be worse? I dunno though - my mom is now 70, and she looks FANTASTIC for her age, and while she doesn''t exactly wear a t-shirt with it, she doesn''t seem to have too much trouble telling people how old she is. I wish there were more women out there aging proudly to serve as role models
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 6:51:33 PM
Author: soocool
Listen... I only get 1 day a year to call my own and you bet I will take full advantage of it. I need the card, the wishes, and the cake with candles.

LOL. Agreed
2.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 7:38:22 PM
Author: packrat
We grew up not celebrating any holidays, so it was never a big deal to me. Once husband and I got together tho, he started making me a nice cake every year and would draw a heart on it or something sweet like that. We don''t make each others birthday a massive deal other than ''OMG you''re going to be 35?? Gah you''re so old I can''t believe I''m married to an old man like you'' ''Oh yeah? Well, you turn 35 4 months after me ya old bag'' We spend a lot of time throughout the year giving each other a bunch of crap about it. The kids get a party, but we don''t sing and we don''t spend a ton of money decorating..they get character napkins and plates and my cousin makes a cool cake.

I was born on my grampa''s birthday (just like he predicted to mom) and every year, he''d ask ''How old are we today, Love?'' Not getting presents never mattered to me, but I always looked forward to that every year. He''s been gone 20 years, and every year when I wake up on my birthday, I remember him and smile.

awww...that story about your grampa is so sweet packrat - sounds like you two had a lovely bond, what a special and precious memory to have
1.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AG- yes! I am getting SOMETHING .50 ct for my Big Day! Def a diamond but not sure if solitaire or tcw. Still thinking about it. Should be a tradition. Turn 50, get .50!

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AmberGretchen! I just wanted to say happy early birthday and I''m so excited for you! My most favorite birthday was when I turned 27 last year on 2/7, and I hope you have an amazing day tomorrow!
9.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
SO was Jehovah''s Witness growing up, so he didn''t celebrate his birthday. I''m not a huge big deal b-day person, but I do like a cake every year, a present and a card, minimum. Fancy dinners and fanfare are not required. Now, I did have to tell him that 5''s and 0''s are important (like 25, 30, 55, etc) and require slightly more acknowledgement. Basically, he should dote and fuss. The funny things is that he gets excited about his b-day now, but not as disappointed if nothing exciting is going on. I took a cake to his job 1 or 2 years, and threw him a surprise party for his 25th.

I like celebrating birthdays because it is the only day that is only about "you". With anniversaries and holidays and V-day, everything is about ''us'' or ''everyone'', which is great, but it''s nice to be special every once in a while. And it can be little things, like making my lunch, or making me breakfast, or taking the dog out and feeding it all day, but it''s nice, just for that one day, to be treated a lil special!
2.gif

I voted other...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My birthday is in 10 days...and since I know that and have a countdown, that''s probably evidence that it''s a big deal. :)

But I really don''t think that anyone other than my parents and DH need to notice my birthday (especially since I can''t remember anyone else''s!) but birthdays are meaningful to me, and DH knows it - we both treat birthdays with some care. We make each other a cake, and try to give thoughtful gifts. For DH''s birthday this fall, I gave him a house (we were in the middle of moving - it was probably the worst birthday for that reason), so I''ve been teasing him that he''s going to have a hard time topping my gift! When we have kids, I really want to go all out for birthdays - not necessarily for parties, but in terms of making the kid feel extra special that day. I think it''s important to have that.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not terribly fussed on my own birthday, but I LOVE making a huge fuss of DH on his! He reciprocates by spoiling me rotten on my birthday
11.gif
To be honest he didn''t see my birthday, or anyone elses for that matter, as too big of a deal when we first met, but he has really changed! Through no influence of my own, I swear
12.gif

Growing up he was an only child until the age of 17, so for the longest time his birthday was number 1 priority as he didn''t have siblings to fuss over on their birthdays! In my family birthdays (well kids birthdays anyway) have always been a big deal and mum and dad love making birthdays a big thing, even now that myself and my brothers are 34, 29, 27 and 23!
9.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 11:21:35 PM
Author: trillionaire
SO was Jehovah''s Witness growing up, so he didn''t celebrate his birthday.

Me too!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 10:52:07 PM
Author: AprilBaby
AG- yes! I am getting SOMETHING .50 ct for my Big Day! Def a diamond but not sure if solitaire or tcw. Still thinking about it. Should be a tradition. Turn 50, get .50!

I could TOTALLY get behind that tradition - I think I''ll have to start working on my DH now though
2.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 11:13:55 PM
Author: jjc
Hi AmberGretchen! I just wanted to say happy early birthday and I''m so excited for you! My most favorite birthday was when I turned 27 last year on 2/7, and I hope you have an amazing day tomorrow!
9.gif

Thanks jjc! I''m just now seeing this on my birthday, so it feels like birthday wishes
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 11:21:35 PM
Author: trillionaire
SO was Jehovah''s Witness growing up, so he didn''t celebrate his birthday. I''m not a huge big deal b-day person, but I do like a cake every year, a present and a card, minimum. Fancy dinners and fanfare are not required. Now, I did have to tell him that 5''s and 0''s are important (like 25, 30, 55, etc) and require slightly more acknowledgement. Basically, he should dote and fuss. The funny things is that he gets excited about his b-day now, but not as disappointed if nothing exciting is going on. I took a cake to his job 1 or 2 years, and threw him a surprise party for his 25th.

I like celebrating birthdays because it is the only day that is only about ''you''. With anniversaries and holidays and V-day, everything is about ''us'' or ''everyone'', which is great, but it''s nice to be special every once in a while. And it can be little things, like making my lunch, or making me breakfast, or taking the dog out and feeding it all day, but it''s nice, just for that one day, to be treated a lil special!
2.gif

I voted other...

trillionaire - I had no idea that Jehovah''s Witnesses didn''t celebrate birthdays. Learn something new every day I guess, that is really interesting (and a little sad, especially for the kids).

I''m with you about the fuss and wanting it to feel special - I think that''s really what I''m looking for, I just haven''t expressed it terribly well in the past to DH.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 11:31:14 PM
Author: Elmorton
My birthday is in 10 days...and since I know that and have a countdown, that''s probably evidence that it''s a big deal. :)

But I really don''t think that anyone other than my parents and DH need to notice my birthday (especially since I can''t remember anyone else''s!) but birthdays are meaningful to me, and DH knows it - we both treat birthdays with some care. We make each other a cake, and try to give thoughtful gifts. For DH''s birthday this fall, I gave him a house (we were in the middle of moving - it was probably the worst birthday for that reason), so I''ve been teasing him that he''s going to have a hard time topping my gift! When we have kids, I really want to go all out for birthdays - not necessarily for parties, but in terms of making the kid feel extra special that day. I think it''s important to have that.

Hehe - I think a countdown is definitely a good indicator of importance
2.gif

That is cute about the house - definitely a tough birthday gift to top!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 8:01:50 AM
Author: DandiAndi
I''m not terribly fussed on my own birthday, but I LOVE making a huge fuss of DH on his! He reciprocates by spoiling me rotten on my birthday
11.gif
To be honest he didn''t see my birthday, or anyone elses for that matter, as too big of a deal when we first met, but he has really changed! Through no influence of my own, I swear
12.gif

Growing up he was an only child until the age of 17, so for the longest time his birthday was number 1 priority as he didn''t have siblings to fuss over on their birthdays! In my family birthdays (well kids birthdays anyway) have always been a big deal and mum and dad love making birthdays a big thing, even now that myself and my brothers are 34, 29, 27 and 23!
9.gif

Hehe, well Andi, based on your lovely pressies yesterday, I''d say you trained him well
2.gif
Want to come over to this side of the pond and take a crack at mine?
31.gif

Seriously though, happy b-day from yesterday - sounds like it was a lovely (and very sparkly
2.gif
) one - the best kind!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I haven''t read through the entire thread....
I love my birthday but it doesn''t take much to make me happy. My FI usually just barbecues and we have some friends over for a few drinks and cake. I usually get a card and flowers from the boys and would only be upset if nobody remembered.

My father forgot my birthday once many years ago. I was pretty upset especially since my birthday is the day before his
38.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results