shape
carat
color
clarity

How important is it to buy the ring your girlfriend asks for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
You've now progressed to a higher level of consciousness. Welcome! There are a lot of us up here. LOL

Is your budget still 15K? If not, here is a nice one from GOG: Link

I would get this one if I had an extra $18K lying around!

moneyman

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 3:06:29 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
You''ve now progressed to a higher level of consciousness. Welcome! There are a lot of us up here. LOL

That''s a nice looking diamond! Based on what I''ve read and seen in person now, I think I would like something in the G, H or maybe I color range, but with medium to strong blue fluorescence. As long as it doesn''t make the diamond look hazy or oily (which I have yet to see in person), it seems to boost the appearance of near colorless diamonds. What are your thoughts on this thing?

I''m checking whether or not the below diamond is eye clean. My suspicion is that based on the price/carat it probably isn''t. Assuming you think the cut looks good, would you consider buying a diamond like this even if the carbon on the edge were visible without magnification? Eye clean seems to be one of those bare minimums that everyone seems to strive for, but at the same time, I think a prong could very easily hide the carbon. Another thing to consider. Would a 2.70ct look gaudy on a size 4 band?

moneyman

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 12:08:26 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
The diamond in my avatar is superideal and H color. Seriously, I think you would be fine with H. But do go to Tiffany''s and compare colors.

And I agree with you that after 11 years, she DESERVES a ring!!!!
9.gif

Not sure what all has been listed so far, but here are some of my picks:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4833/

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1848227.htm
What size is the rock in your avatar? It looks gigantic! Oh and by the way, it''s a real stunner.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 3:02:36 PM
Author: moneyman
WOW!! Unfortunately I have a very discerning eye for picking out colors on diamonds, but all this time I've been looking at loose diamonds - often face down on a piece of white paper. Once the diamonds are mounted and you are basically only looking at the diamonds from face down on the ring, G and H look great - or maybe it was the effects of the flourescence....or maybe the lighting. But I can say that the two H's and one G that I looked at looked great. This is a game changer!!

I only had time to look at three diamonds at Tiffany's, all excellent cuts but I didn't have the luxury of getting exactly the crown angles and pavilion angle ranges I asked for because I told her it was more important to find diamonds in stock with medium to strong flourescence), but will probably go back on Monday (when my gf goes back to work - and when I'm not faced with a higher calling - go cardinals!). I would also love to go back once my beginner ideal scope arrives. Not sure how the scope works though and I'm not sure if the light would be sufficient to use in the store.

Another slight change in plans, apparently my girlfriend is set on getting 1.85ct or better. She saw a friend's ring recently and told me that 1.60ct looked too small and that she would want something 1.85ct or better. Apparently when she was growing up she wanted 2.30ct. When she was growing up??? Who thinks about that type of thing. I used to think of girls, basketball, football and occasionally stocks. But I have to say that knowing I can go with G, H or hopefully I has eased the pain. I'm really excited!

Gotta admit wanting a 2.3 ct when you're growing up is a bit strange.
33.gif
But none the less, I'm glad you decided you can go lower in color, it really does make such a price difference!

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
To get an idea of what a 2.7 ct diamond would look like on a size 4 band. This is a link to KrityDarling 3.56 ct H SI1 diamond on a size 4 band. So remember it will appear quite smaller than that.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/handshots-of-my-custom-ring.35653/

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 4:05:24 PM

You've now progressed to a higher level of consciousness. Welcome! There are a lot of us up here. LOL

That's a nice looking diamond! Based on what I've read and seen in person now, I think I would like something in the G, H or maybe I color range, but with medium to strong blue fluorescence. As long as it doesn't make the diamond look hazy or oily (which I have yet to see in person), it seems to boost the appearance of near colorless diamonds. What are your thoughts on this thing?

I'm checking whether or not the below diamond is eye clean. My suspicion is that based on the price/carat it probably isn't. Assuming you think the cut looks good, would you consider buying a diamond like this even if the carbon on the edge were visible without magnification? Eye clean seems to be one of those bare minimums that everyone seems to strive for, but at the same time, I think a prong could very easily hide the carbon. Another thing to consider. Would a 2.70ct look gaudy on a size 4 band?
I think it's a nice looking diamond too. I have an I/SI1 that I bought from GOG and it blew me away when I saw it. I had it set into an antique style platinum ring with sapphires but sorry no photos yet. Why do you want medium to stong blue flouro? I have heard that it is a non-issue except in lower color diamonds where it tends to make the diamond look whiter. By lower, I mean like J or below. I have also heard that flouro making a diamond appear hazy/oily is very rare and kind of one of those myths you read about. Maybe an expert can jump in here.

I don't know what diamond you are referring to, but I personally would not buy a diamond with visible carbon inclusions for an engagement ring. Definitely for a pendant where I could hide the inclusion under a prong, but not an engagement ring. This is just my honest opinion. I tried on a 2 carat round diamond once. I wear a size 5 and I decided that 2 ct. is probably the biggest I would ever want to go. Gaudiness is, in my opinion not contingent on the size of the diamond (except in obscene sizes, like 5 cts.) but in how it is set. I think that a 2.70 ct. set into a very simple, elegant setting would not look gaudy. Hope that makes sense. Again, this is purely opinion.

If you are looking at 2.70 ct., I'm guessing your budget has changed considerable, am I right? Eye-cleanness is subjective. Here is a 1.51 ct. D/I1 that Jonathan says is eye-clean. At $8986, it is a steal. I have a Jubilee and really like the cut.

1.51 ct. D/I1 Jubilee

This is another nice one in a larger size. This is the last one I'll post. 2.38 ct. I/SI1

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
This is one of those classic theoretical questions about customs and expectations. Should the man choose the engagement ring and present it to the woman? Or should the woman choose her own engagement ring?

Obviously, if she has told you what she wants, you should defer to her wishes as much as possible.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 12:49:16 PM
Well, the point of my original post was that I don't think she knows what she wants so why not use my own best judgement since I'm confident I know more about the price to value tradeoff in diamond buying (but I'm still very very wet behind the ears compared to the ladies and gents on this board!) than her. I made the suggestion about Eva Longoria's ring because I really like it, but also because it's not a round diamond and therefore should on average be cheaper per carat.

I think she's just asking for the Tiffany style setting, not actually from Tiffany's. I originally started my shopping a while back. Was kind of close to buying a 2.4ct $80k ring at Harry Winston, but luckily I got cold feet and didn't pull the trigger. Restarted the search early last year and went to Tiffany's searching for rings in the $30-45k range. When I told my older brother, he literally hit me upside the head. He's in finance and Tiffany's is one of the stocks he covers and used to own. Based on their financials and based on conversations he had with the CEO, he said there's no way he'd ever walk through the door and buy anything and that I shouldn't either (he's a total cheap skate, so it's not a knock on the Tiffany's reputation or quality or prestige, just his opinion that they're overpriced - just his opinion as an expert cheapskate, not expert diamond person).

I'm also in finance and after a HORRIBLE year, I now find myself unemployed. I have $20k in the bank, refuse to carry debt to make this purchase and don't want to sell anything from my stock portfolio to make this purchase. So I guess I'm willing to spend up to 20k, but would much rather spend in the $13-15k range so that I have a cash cushion to go along with my unemployment checks.

Let's turn this discussion on it's head. For $13-15k, what would you ladies get? Let's say the only constraint is that the diamond must be a round brilliant. Feel free to make suggestions as high as $20k if you feel it's a compelling value.
This is easy. I say go to whiteflash.com and get the biggest eye clean ACA (important) diamond you can for $15,000 and have them set it in one of their "Tiffany style" settings in the metal of her choice (include that in your budget or add to your budget- their Tiffany style settings would only add as much as $600, I think, if platinum, obviously less if 18kt gold, and I think they have white and yellow). The Tiffany style setting is not the Tiffany setting, but that's life.

That's what I would do, and I wouldn't be afraid of (in fact, I would want to) go down to H, I, or J. Maybe SI1 if it were eye clean would do the trick.

IMO you can't buy a nicer modern cut RB (even from Tiffany & Co. and I am a fan of Tiffany especially their Statement Jewelry collection and their tanazanite pieces).

I think a Whiteflash (in fact, I know) ACA would be a knowledgeable choice, and personally I think there's something to be said for having a budget, especially in today's frightening economy.

A Whiteflash ACA in a Tiffany style setting, as large as you can make it without a visible inclusion, is not a compromise in quality (I mean unless you want to put it in a Leon Mege setting, which doesn't look like Tiffany, if that's the way she wants it to look like, would eat up a large amount of a $15k budget, and contradict her desire to have a large stone).

Basically, I think you can do the best you can do without sacrificing quality (which I would never recommend) and it's not that hard to do!

Good luck!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Oops, I have to edit my post to "the largest 1.85 ct Whiteflash ACA" since I missed this requirement.
32.gif

I would definitely not get this ring at Tiffany & Co. For a RB, you would pay a IMO very unreasonable premium. The great thing about ACA''s is the quality and standardization. Basically, you just don''t have to worry about angles and all that. They''ve done that for you.

In any case, best wishes!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 4:05:24 PM

That's a nice looking diamond! Based on what I've read and seen in person now, I think I would like something in the G, H or maybe I color range, but with medium to strong blue fluorescence. As long as it doesn't make the diamond look hazy or oily (which I have yet to see in person), it seems to boost the appearance of near colorless diamonds. What are your thoughts on this thing?

I'm checking whether or not the below diamond is eye clean. My suspicion is that based on the price/carat it probably isn't. Assuming you think the cut looks good, would you consider buying a diamond like this even if the carbon on the edge were visible without magnification? Eye clean seems to be one of those bare minimums that everyone seems to strive for, but at the same time, I think a prong could very easily hide the carbon. Another thing to consider. Would a 2.70ct look gaudy on a size 4 band?

Gaudy? Not at all!!!
This is what a 2.7-ish diamond looks like on a size 4 band. Nice decent size but definitely not gaudy!

beebsring2.JPG

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am probablly in the minority here but I think a 2.5 ct+ round on a size 4 band is too large for an e-ring. I wouldn''t mind it so much for a RHR you wear occasionally but for daily wear - it looks too overwhelming at least for me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen KristyDarling''s 3.56 Leon three stone in person (and OMG it''s stunning) and she is a tiny lady with slim fingers and No it did not look gaudy. It''s all in how you wear it and what your social circle is used to, it looked substantial and stunning, but guady? Not at all. Blindingly beautiful though.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 3:31:49 AM
Author: Gypsy
It''s all in how you wear it and what your social circle is used to

This is something to take into consideration. What is your social circle like? If everyone else is wearing 1 carat or less and you show up with a 3 carat, it''s going to stand out. And not necessarily in a good way.

moneyman

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any comments about the diamond in the below listed link? I know I started this discussion by saying I was looking for something in the $13-15k range but I am willing to pay up to $20k if I thought I found something interesting and I think this ring is something interesting at 8k/carat. My gf obviously values size. This ring gives her that, but it also has what seems to be a very nice cut, good enough color and is eye clean according to the seller. I was previously set on buying something in the colorless color range, but am now convinced after what I''ve heard from the board and what I''ve seen in person that near colorless is great once the diamond is set. If anything, I wish the below diamond were H colored so I could save some bucks.

This has been a long journey and no joke, a journey that included me almost buying a diamond out of the back of a van in a mall parking lot. I just want to get something that my gf will like and something that makes me excited knowing I got a lot of bang for my buck.

Actually, here is a quote from bluenile in reply to whether or not the stone is eye clean and whether or not the fluorescence left the diamond hazy/oily.

"My Gemologist confirmed the Fluorescence was not going to pose a problem: "It looks great, no dead spots, haziness or strong blue evident at all!!!". He also commented on the SI1 clarity "1000% eye clean, great brilliance - a true dazzler!".
Both issues got rave reviews, I think this would be an outstanding option."

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-2-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-si1-clarity_LD00995516#grading_report

denverboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 2:54:43 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
I am probablly in the minority here but I think a 2.5 ct+ round on a size 4 band is too large for an e-ring. I wouldn''t mind it so much for a RHR you wear occasionally but for daily wear - it looks too overwhelming at least for me.

As an average guy, and having discussed diamond size with quite a few "average" women (and by average I mean average income, and not pricescope diamond lover material, but average girl diamond liking material)... I think if you were to put this poll on CNN.com you''d find that an overwhelming majority thinks that a 2.5 ct+ stone on a size 4 band looks too large and, not to be rude, but yes.. gaudy. Yes, it does make a difference what social circle you are with.. and it may be totally acceptable from that point of view. So I don''t mean to offend anyone, but I''m just trying to put in the opinion of what I think the average person thinks out there instead of getting the opinion of all the diamond lovers on pricescope =)

But back to the original question & post - my personal opinion is that an engagement ring should of course be a reflection of BOTH of you. The engagement is bewteen both of you afterall. The ring isn''t a gift to her for something that is only hers (like a birthday). This is something that is shared by both of you. For that reason, I think it''s great if you know what she likes and doesn''t like... you should obviously try to get something she''ll love. But if you want to put your opinion into part of the selection process then go for it. And isn''t it that much more special when she can say that you were both involved in thinking of/picking out what kind of ring to get rather than her just saying "oh yeah i told him exactly what to get" ... that just sounds boring and unromantic to me.

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 3:05:10 PM

Does anyone have any comments about the diamond in the below listed link? I know I started this discussion by saying I was looking for something in the $13-15k range but I am willing to pay up to $20k if I thought I found something interesting and I think this ring is something interesting at 8k/carat. My gf obviously values size. This ring gives her that, but it also has what seems to be a very nice cut, good enough color and is eye clean according to the seller. I was previously set on buying something in the colorless color range, but am now convinced after what I''ve heard from the board and what I''ve seen in person that near colorless is great once the diamond is set. If anything, I wish the below diamond were H colored so I could save some bucks.

This has been a long journey and no joke, a journey that included me almost buying a diamond out of the back of a van in a mall parking lot. I just want to get something that my gf will like and something that makes me excited knowing I got a lot of bang for my buck.

Actually, here is a quote from bluenile in reply to whether or not the stone is eye clean and whether or not the fluorescence left the diamond hazy/oily.

''My Gemologist confirmed the Fluorescence was not going to pose a problem: ''It looks great, no dead spots, haziness or strong blue evident at all!!!''. He also commented on the SI1 clarity ''1000% eye clean, great brilliance - a true dazzler!''.

Both issues got rave reviews, I think this would be an outstanding option.''

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-2-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-si1-clarity_LD00995516#grading_report
Wow, aren''t you glad you didn''t pull the trigger on the diamond from the van??

I think the diamond you posted is very promising... the table is a bit larger than what people around here normally go for. I think it may be more of a traditional 60/60 diamond?? But in any case, it did very well on the HCA -- 1.6 (within TIC range) -- and I believe it falls within both boxes for GIA excellent and AGS ideal. So it really does seem very promising. I''ll leave the rest to the experts though!

As for diamond size, I think it''s just a matter of what will make you and your girlfriend happy. 2.7 on a size 4 finger is pretty big though -- if you have any concerns that she may actually feel like it''s too big, maybe you should just ask her.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results