shape
carat
color
clarity

How important is designer/brand to you?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not IMO, b/c is NOT recognizable by the public. A Rolex yes!. A Lange no!.

DF, nobody gets to make up definitions for words, that suit their purposes - well Trump does that all the time.
Maybe politics damaging critical thinking is your problem.

There's nothing in this dictionary's definition of "brand" about, "recognized by the public".

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 6.19.23 PM.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, How can we say a branded name if most people don't recognize the brand?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
When talking about iconic branded pieces, brand recognition is of course a major component of the conversation. I’d guess that most people on this forum own at least one “branded” diamond, but that wouldn’t be known or recognizable to those around us and it’s not really what we’re talking about here.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 your perspective really resonated with me. I am not really into brands at all and I’ve been trying to figure out what’s got me so interested in the Cartier love ring/bracelet. I think because I just love classic, sophisticated, gold jewelry in general and I feel those pieces tick the boxes, regardless of brand (many other popular Cartier items do nothing for me).

I love the LOVE ring (and bracelet) and design in general. I have owned many iterations of the ring and purchased the ring as gifts for both my sisters who did not know the brand but completely appreciated its classic sophisticated design. They were it daily and would not part with it.

I hope you get your love ring one day!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I love the LOVE ring (and bracelet) and design in general. I have owned many iterations of the ring and purchased the ring as gifts for both my sisters who did not know the brand but completely appreciated its classic sophisticated design. They were it daily and would not part with it.

I hope you get your love ring one day!

Thank you! Your message put the biggest smile on my face! I’m so glad you and your sisters have gotten such enjoyment, they are really lovely pieces!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not entirely against designer/branding, but I will say that "influencers" wearing labels like that played out Gucci belt, mostly anything LV at this point, Tory Burch Millers, etc. drives me nuts and makes me RUN from the brand. It's like being in high school all over again when someone decided a certain something was "cool." No thanks. I've always had my own style and don't need anyone else's help. Some people do like guidance, and that's ok, too. Some people like status symbols, and omg, that's ok, too!

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I’m a branded girl but I like it to be discreet brands. No logo pieces or anything like that but hey I like what I like. I love arm candy and stay working on my wrist. DH buys me expensive watches so I wear them. He doesn’t buy me bags because he feels it crazy to send thousands on a bag. I buy Chanel flaps myself. I have been bitten by VCA bug so I’m now working on my list from them.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care about brands unless it's a brand I love. Good answer huh? So I guess brand is very important to me, because I know why I like a brand. I like WF for diamonds. I like Victor Canera for settings. I like AV for ideal antique cut stones. I guess my OEC doesn't count cause I couldn't brand that if I wanted to. I LOVE VCA for other jewelry. I like Rolex and JLC for watches. I don't love every piece produced by each of these designers. However, because I appreciate the aesthetic, style, beauty, workmanship, attention to detail, and I can fully rely on the quality of the pieces produced by these designers, I know that when I peruse their pieces, I will more likely than not, find pieces that appeal to me. So if that makes me a brand whore, so be it. ;)2

So those of you who like recognizable items—ie. hermes belt with H buckle, VCA jewelry, LV bags, Christian Loubouton shoes with red soles—-why do you love them? Is it strictly style? Are there expectations in your work/social circle?

For me I would say it’s 90% style, but I also wouldn’t buy an expensive item if I didn’t love it. That being said, of course I’m cognisant of the fact that carrying an LV bag vs a no-name bag is sending some kind of message. My social circle is a mix, but most people do carry or wear some branded items. I wouldn’t buy them to fit in though, I buy them because I like them and I want them. The vast majority of my branded pieces are handbags, though I do carry and enjoy non branded handbags as well. I have a little bit of branded jewelry and one or two pairs of name brand shoes.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is me. I won’t wear logos on clothing or handbags, and no recognizable (VCA, Carter, Hermes) jewelry.
I do like Bottega Veneta because I like the classic style and lack of logo. Also like Tod’s for same reason

So those of you who like recognizable items—ie. hermes belt with H buckle, VCA jewelry, LV bags, Christian Loubouton shoes with red soles—-why do you love them? Is it strictly style? Are there expectations in your work/social circle?

I love LV bags because I love the style and aesthetic. I also associate it with my mom who was carrying LV 40 years ago when no one here knew it. I love VCA cause their pieces are beautiful, stunning, and complement me. I don't have a single friend in my usual circle that knows about it, and 99% of my family doesn't know and doesn't care. When I wear stacks to the office I pull my sleeves down so people don't see them, cause there are people at my office that do know the brand and I don't like all the gushing. My bracelets are for me to sneak looks at during the day and I just love the feeling of them on my arm. I have no social life. No events. No weddings, parties, birthdays. I wear them even when I'm at home in my t-shirts and leggings.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Almost all my jewellery is pre loved or pre loved, then redesigned. I have one love bracelet from Cartier. I love it for its timelessness. I have a vintage steel Rolex and vintage Omega. I love a good Swiss watch (Lange is also fine ;-)). And I’ve got a Hermès chaine d’ancre in silver. A present from DH years ago, for a big accomplishment at work. That’s about it.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
.... I just want something that is good quality, and I can get that without necessarily going for something branded, so I do.

I agree with the above, I don't necessarily hanker after fancy brands but will seek the specific product (clothes, bags, jewels whatever) I want and if I can get it unbranded at a better price GREAT, if I feel there is no alternative but the branded option, and I feel the price warrants the quality of it then sure I'll go ahead and get that one. I have a beautiful Longines watch, it was a gift and is very sentimental to me but if I was buying a new watch - I wouldn't necessarily repurchase a brand name one. Eg. I always buy Oroton handbags because I like the style, it's an Australian brand and I think the price is fair for the quality. I don't care about the logo as such, it's always about timeless quality... :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, How can we say a branded name if most people don't recognize the brand?

Sorry DF, I've already explained (and included a dictionary definition) that a brand not being recognized by many people does not mean that it is not a brand.

How's bout this analogy ...
A real fully natural red diamond (graded so by GIA) would not be recognized by many people as a real diamond.
Low-recognition does not mean that it is not a real diamond.

Something being rare does not make it not real.

:))

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO... Aversion to branding to the point of vehemently eschewing anything a house has to offer merely because it’s branded has a peculiar but unmistakable smell of snobbery. Many non-branded designs are either heavily inspired-by or direct knock-offs of branded goods - in those cases I would much rather my money and credit for design and manufacture go to whatever entity genuinely earned it.

I have obviously-branded pieces, discreetly branded pieces, and unbranded pieces. I don’t have any pieces that I don’t love.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here ya go DS...

IMG_0241.jpg

My favorite bag in the world. That one!!! I have a good friend here who has the same bag with the silver hardware. Beautiful, classic, timeless...just like my jewelry preferences!

I'm not entirely against designer/branding, but I will say that "influencers" wearing labels like that played out Gucci belt, mostly anything LV at this point, Tory Burch Millers, etc. drives me nuts and makes me RUN from the brand. It's like being in high school all over again when someone decided a certain something was "cool." No thanks. I've always had my own style and don't need anyone else's help. Some people do like guidance, and that's ok, too. Some people like status symbols, and omg, that's ok, too!

The great thing is, I do not follow any influencers, so my choices are definitely my own taste, too! If I buy something that is a status symbol, I probably wouldn't know it!

IMO... Aversion to branding to the point of vehemently eschewing anything a house has to offer merely because it’s branded has a peculiar but unmistakable smell of snobbery. Many non-branded designs are either heavily inspired-by or direct knock-offs of branded goods - in those cases I would much rather my money and credit for design and manufacture go to whatever entity genuinely earned it.

I have obviously-branded pieces, discreetly branded pieces, and unbranded pieces. I don’t have any pieces that I don’t love.

I love you, Yssie. Buying what we love is the key. No one locally knows my VCA, and that is totally fine and actually preferable to me!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Chiming back in to say, I need a canvas tote back for various practical tasks.... and the only bag that will do is an LL Bean Boat&Tote - it’s not so much a branded label that I insist upon (I remove them) but the authenticity. Does that count?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I don't go out of my way for a brand. I'm not militant about it by I strongly avoid poorly placed large logos and the like. I do try to balance value and quality as best I can. The make of an item is important. If all the criteria are met and it happens to be branded, I buy it. Extremely expensive articles of anything are impractical for my lifestyle.
*would I ever turn down a gift of a branded piece? Mmmmmm no, unless it was garish or had absolutely no utilitarian value.
I don't carry a purse, I just use a classic eelskin bi-fold wallet in the pocket. I just replaced it two years ago after many, many years with the exact same one. It's a nice wallet. We'll see if they still make them like they used to.
I don't wear a watch, I don't know why because I like watches on other people. Still, never wear one.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish someone made nice fitness trackers. Those things are the pits and always look ugly no matter what they do to them.

Although....I did purchase a strap extender off of Etsy and wore my Fitbit on my ankle. It was actually funny, as I would joke I was on house arrest. I also, happily, had more steps recorded when worn on my ankle too.
Now I have the Apple and can’t do that.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look at it this way; Louis Vuitton And Coco Channel are dead so it’s not really their brand is it? I love looking at pretty stuff in Town and Country but I would never buy. Who is the famous British male designer who committed suicide a while ago? The brand is still in his name but he doesn’t design a darn thing for them cause he is dead. So how are you buying his brand?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Everything in context.

I shop at places that charges for compostable bags. Labeled green cart friendly. I am an unrepentant. :evil2:

cheers--Sharon

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to look at high end brands and ask myself if I would buy them if they were not branded. Like those brown purses with the LV logo. To me they are ugly...yet a couple of years ago I HAD to have one. Human beings are interesting animals.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to look at high end brands and ask myself if I would buy them if they were not branded. Like those brown purses with the LV logo. To me they are ugly...yet a couple of years ago I HAD to have one. Human beings are interesting animals.

I never did understand the brown LV purse.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I've ever purchased a piece of jewelry because of the brand recognition. However, I own a handful of branded pieces (and lust after several more!) because those particular items happen to match my aesthetic and meet my need perfectly.

For example, my next purchase will probably be one of the Cartier love hoop earrings. I like my hoops to be a certain thickness, to have squared off edges, to have a certain type of back/fastener and to feel a certain way when on. I also like them to point a certain direction when on which means the posts need to be on a slight diagonal. I've looked for years and have never been able to find a hoop I like as much. So I'll probably buy Cartier because they fit my needs the best. The fact that they are Cartier is fun, but absolutely not my deciding factor.

Then there are a couple of brands whose designs almost always match my quirky style. Kwiat and Oscar Heyman come to mind. I love all jewelry that falls into the the categories of Art Deco, Mid-Century Modern, and even Futuristic, and often Kwiat and vintage Oscar Heyman do.

One of my favorite jewelry designers is a woman named Patricia Von Musulin. I don't know if you all would consider her a "brand" because most folks (even here on PriceScope) have never heard of her. Her designs, though not particularly expensive, are considered high art and are in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I love her style. I have a jade necklace of hers that is made of small, cubed, jade beads in red, black, green and white. It is funky and looks like costume jewelry, but I adore it. I'd love to have more of her pieces but this has nothing to do with name brand recognition because almost no one has heard of her.

So for me, its all about the specific piece, or a specific style or look.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results