shape
carat
color
clarity

How important is designer/brand to you?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
This morning I entertained myself reading through old wishlist/jewelry wardrobe staple threads (I’ll link them in the first comment) and I noticed two trends: broad items like diamond studs, and specific branded pieces like the Cartier love bracelet. It got me thinking. I’m sorry if there’s already been a thread discussing this; I didn’t find one when I searched.

How big a role does brand/designer play in your real or dream jewelry wardrobe? Does it vary based on category (for example, you have a particular fondness and loyalty to a certain ring or watch designer but don’t care about that for necklaces and earrings)? Is it more about collecting iconic branded items like a VCA Alhambra bracelet?

Please explain your opinion and taste!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Depends on if the brand and name is a small company\actual person involved in all aspects of the product or a front name for a scummy large corperation or worse a front for China goods at way inflated prices.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on if the brand and name is a small company\actual person involved in all aspects of the product or a front name for a scummy large corperation or worse a front for China goods at way inflated prices.

I’m less curious about which brands and more curious about your personal approach to jewelry shopping and collecting. For example, if you were going to buy a watch would you start your search with a particular brand or handful of brands in mind, or would you start with an idea of specs and see what watches fit that dream? Sub “watch” for any item.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have zero brands that I look for in jewelry but that's mainly because most of my purchases are vintage and antique. I buy for aesthetic only, always.

Not poo pooing those that love their brands, it is really fun to see the new Tiffany and VCA etc pieces folks get. It just doesn't get me out of bed :snore:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m less curious about which brands and more curious about your personal approach to jewelry shopping and collecting. For example, if you were going to buy a watch would you start your search with a particular brand or handful of brands in mind, or would you start with an idea of specs and see what watches fit that dream? Sub “watch” for any item.

In general,
I figure out what I want then figure out who can supply it to me.
Then I figure out which one to buy it from.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mmm I think you'll find this different person to person. Most people here are into niche brands anyway like August vintage or crafted by infinity. So it's not like they dont have a branding associated with them just not so widely recognized as vca. On the flip side there are plenty of threads here about people collecting just to round out their VCA collections and you'll see plenty of mentions of people's accounts on the purse forum -- not to sling mud but this forum 95% cares about branding and is even organized into sub forums according to what brand people subscribe to. So honestly plenty of brand loyalty here and brand cultism over there, a good proportion of us are members of both. And it'd be crazy therefore for us to denounce branding as irrelevant. But maybe also these forums hopefully cultivate an appreciation for why people subscribe to these brands (they're often hyped up for at least one half decent reason). In any case youd hope that'd be the rationale behind these forums existing. Ofcourse CS and Pearl's aren't that adherent as there aren't many big brands in either so you do get a bit of a mix here

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @qubitasaurus I’m interested to hear different perspectives and reasoning.

There are a few jewelry designers I love to follow, but along the lines of what @Karl_K said they are all individuals rather than brands per say.

Personally I am not very into brands be it jewelry, purses, clothes, whatever, but something about a Cartier love ring excites me.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @qubitasaurus I’m interested to hear different perspectives and reasoning.

There are a few jewelry designers I love to follow, but along the lines of what @Karl_K said they are all individuals rather than brands per say.

Personally I am not very into brands be it jewelry, purses, clothes, whatever, but something about a Cartier love ring excites me.

I find these things usually come and go for me. I sometimes think I'd like the love bracelet but then I kind of realize I dont really want any other solid gold jewelery generically, I dont want a bracelet generically. So only thing left is branding and once I realise this I kind of move on pretty quickly to weighing up the value of the branding vs the price tag -- usually this is a losing calculation.

If you want the counterpoint go look up the purse forum, I wouldn't be surprise if about 20% of the people here also have accounts over there (just from the way it pops up in threads). I guess that will sell the value in the brand a little better.

I think small designers have less obnoxious branding generally, but it's still there. And marketing (especially for luxury items) is about creating a need for that item. Often by driving at the fact that you are missing something and this item will fulfill that need. Are you really missing something though? Whenever I hit that question the answer is usually no (or I discover I am missing something closer to home, like more time with my family).

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I admit I'm a brand snob..... but only certain brands, or items- not generally the popular ones.
(In other words, I don't like tiffany or vca or Cartier or the typical handbag brands like Gucci etc.)
I prefer graff or harry Winston. And none of the pieces can have large or obvious logos/branding.

It's funny because growing up I always told my mother, who cares if that old dress is whatever brand- no one will know. It's just so old & out dated, get rid of it .... how the tables have turned lol.

Edit to add, my ring is from graff & yes that means a lot to me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any branded jewellery except for watches, and only have 3 of those, two of them are Ebel.
If I have the money to spare, I may get another version of Ebel Beluga with more diamonds.
As for other types of jewellery, I can't think of a branded item that I lust after, except perhaps a Chopard Happy Diamonds ring.
Don't really follow trends in fashion either, or spend hundreds or thousands on accessories.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would like an Omega watch because Bruce Springsteen has one
otherwise brands are not important for me
i want to know what im buying is good value for money and is what it says it is and is fit for purpose and will also last,

ok so i have lots of mall jewlery - thats from before i knew you guys

But in general i would rather buy nothing than have a sub standard product
I don't really follow brands or trends but of course im influenced by what i see
i buy what i like

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Based on this thread and the others it seems like people are more connected to brands when it comes to watches than any other jewelry.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How important is a designer brand to me?
Less than zero ... in fact ...

With the exception of sox, underwear, and shoes (for sanitation reasons), all my clothes are second-hand from thrift stores.
While I seek out and love high quality natural fabrics and manufacturing, I'm anti-status symbol to the extent that I remove logos from brands on my clothes.
I'll even spend a long time meticulously removing from a shirt (one stitch at a time under magnification with a scalpel blade) that guy on a horse playing polo. :rolleyes:

I wear a diamond with top light performance ... but I've railed here against status-symbol jewelry brands like Cartier, VCA, TooFunny & Co., et al., for selling diamonds without the best light performance, especial TooFunny for the conflict of interest for grading their own diamonds instead of sending them to a reputable independent lab.
I've pointed out how some high-priced car brands like Mercedes, Volvo and Jaguar have some of the lowest quality and reliability ratings.

I've changed.
Back in the 80s I simply HAD to be seen wearing a Rolex.
Unworn for decades, recently sold it.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate “Brand” names and can acknowledge there is something special about the “experience” of purchasing said Brand from fancy store BUT I can’t spend my dollars that way.
I would dearly love a Cartier Love Bangle with 10 diamonds. I adore the look but never ever will I spend $23,,000 on one.
For that money I could buy a 10 carat plus Diamond Platinum Art Deco bracelet that no one else will have!
I think Tiffany is ridiculously overpriced. With their big ticket items, yes there’s quality but for the most part, you’re paying a hefty premium for the name which doesn’t have the cachet it once had.
I’m happy to pay for quality, for rarity, for workmanship but not for a “Name” per see.
Watches though are a bit different. There is a difference in the quality of workmanship and movement sophistication (I’m not talking Quartz movement watches). People who buy a Rolex expect it to last a lifetime and then some, So with watches at least you’re buying the pedigree as much as the “name”.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't care about brands at all although some brands carry very pretty things that I love.

I tend to be attracted to cute things like fruit, flowers, cute animals so jewellery made into those shapes really call out to me.

Not jewellery related but I kinda freaked out when I bought my house because it had these weird European appliances which my friend raved over. I'm a Westinghouse girl who paid $500 roughly for for each appliance and these served me well for decades so I was completely suspicious of my branded oven that apparently costs a fortune to fix. It works though so no funny business for now!

I have different views on brands as far as handbags, shoes & clothes, jewelry and watches go.

For shoes & clothes, I just want something that is good quality, and I can get that without necessarily going for something branded, so I do. I have a few pieces of clothing and a few pairs of shoes that are high end brands and a few that arent recognisable brands but still were expensive; and it’s all worth it to me because they’re excellent quality. The only exception I would make is scarves, where I tend to buy branded ones because scarves are purely decorative for me.

Handbags, I mostly buy branded handbags but only if I like the look of the bag. I don’t have a very huge purse collection though, my aim is to have a versatile or well rounded collection. I do have some handbags from more unknown brands that are excellent quality and I prefer those to bags from more “well known” brands of worse quality.

Jewelry, I mostly own and want unbranded jewelry because I can’t stomach the brand markups for branded fine jewelry. I do have a couple of pieces from big jewelry houses but that’s more incidental (I bought it because I liked it rather than because of the brand recognition). I don’t think there’s anything wrong with buying or wearing a ton of designer jewelry, but for me I’m happy with 1-2 pieces from a specific line that I personally really love, and not collecting multiples of the same line. Id much rather buy unbranded things because I also really enjoy designing jewelry myself.

Watches are the only place where I LOVE branded stuff and I’ll only buy from a few brands I really like the aesthetic of. I think it’s because I associate brand with quality. I don’t see myself buying an unbranded watch, ever. I’m definitely a bit of a brand snob when it comes to watches.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy what I love. I buy quality and what I enjoy and the name brand is not important to me. If it happens to be a name brand that is only because I enjoy wearing it and I feel good wearing it but I don't seek out name brands. Rather I like good value for the dollar and buy what is quality and what I deem to be worth it. Often name brands are IMO over priced and I prefer getting my money's worth if you kwim.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on this thread and the others it seems like people are more connected to brands when it comes to watches than any other jewelry.

That much is true for me, however, it confines to just one brand and range - I love Ebel Belugas for their bracelet design, each link is curvy and chunky, very unusual.

DK :))

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't appreciate brand names on anything. I go for the practical every time. I'd choose an inspired by over the real thing every time. I can't think of any brand name thing I'd really want.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know I realized what I wrote isn’t 100% accurate. I own 2 name brand watches that weren’t monetarily worth what I paid. Yet I wanted them anyway. So yeah I guess while in most cases I don’t pay attention to the name brand occasionally I do.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I very rarely buy anything branded. I think my three Coach bags are pretty much it. And I only got those bags because I really loved them. None of my jewellery is branded either. Just run of the mill independent jeweller number bajillion lol.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
my clothes are second-hand from thrift stores.
While I seek out and love high quality natural fabrics and manufacturing, I'm anti-status symbol to the extent that I remove logos from brands on my clothes.

Kenny, we are two sides of the same coin! Rolex and all..
#Twinning

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like certain clothing/shoe/handbag brands but it is not important to me with jewelry. There are so many pieces that are created to be very similar to branded items that cost much less and look beautiful. So I can get more for my money by not choosing a branded ring or necklace.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are brands across the consumer goods board that I have positive personal experience with, so when it comes time to replace or upgrade, I generally research those brands first to see if they have something in line with what I'm looking for. If yes, I check ratings and reviews. If not, I keep researching.

Same when it comes to jewelry and gemstones ... I'd rather repeat-shop at online vendors I've come to trust through prior purchases. If those vendors don't have what I'm looking, oftentimes I wait and focus on another project.

Designer brands are almost non-existent in my jewelry wardrobe other than a few silver Tiffany pieces my DH has given me through the years. I have a life-long affection for Tiffany & Co., even now, and while I would never pay the $$$ for their higher end pieces (for several reasons) I do appreciate their diamond bands and their silver line. I've owned a few Cartier bands but they all seem to be on the thick side and don't feel comfortable on my finger. None of the other designer brands appeal to me personally although I admire so many pieces in terms of aesthetics.

I'm all about super-ideal-cut diamonds, and there are several online vendors I buy from when the need arises. I've utilized upgrade policies sometimes; other times I've sold diamonds so I can buy from a different vendor. While these super-ideal diamond vendors are brands (BGD, WF, August Vintage/Distinctive Gem, HPD), I don't consider them "designer brands" because I've never come across another person in my circle who was familiar with any of them.

My real collection is colored gemstones, and there I buy the CS loose and then figure out what kind of ring I see it in ... these days DK does most of my settings. None of my CS vendors are "branded designers."

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Design/Brand are not important to me unless there is a specific piece of interest. I find that I am not comfortable wearing knockoffs.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying a certain brand at times in your life meant you have "arrived". so yeah I bought into that whole thing a few times. But the older I get the more my give a damn is busted... I still enjoy certain branded things mind you, but I prefer to keep the "labels" h idden. in perfume I do look to certain houses first, they have a history of knocking it out of the park with me. With jewlery, less so. I tend to like either smaller boutique brands for jewlery. Clothes and bags? whatver is cheapest at target...lol Clearly I don't go out much these days, like everyeone else. I have a set of lovely business clothes as I need to look good in front of a client, but outside of that, I just kinda don't care. Its less the brand and more the fit. with certain clients you must wear certain things, its the way of the world unfortunately, but to that end, I tend to go custom.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first came to PS, it was to learn more about diamonds so that I could get a high quality diamond for an anniversary. We all know the rest of that story! So number 1, I only buy diamonds with great cut and at least VS clarity. High end brand name on diamonds means nothing to me, and I'd never pay for that. I want superideal rounds or my AVR which was cut by Yoram. Then I have a few others including one excellent cut antique asscher and some DBTY pieces from WF. I am into high quality custom jewelry settings which have been done by Victor and Caysie, aside from Whiteflash and Beaudry pieces.

Clothing and purses: I am not into high end brands. I don't have endless money, and I would be stressed using a $5k purse for daily use. In fact, if I had one, it would only come out for special occasions like some of my jewelry! I buy Tory Burch and Coach purses, mostly, and usually on sale. They last as long as I want to use them (a few years), so they are good enough quality. I buy good quality clothes, but not designer. I just don't go anywhere to need that. I am more into comfort than anything else! (The only high end purses that I truly love for the designs are Chanel, and they are just out of my price range.)

Now, for my branded indulgence, I fell in love with VCA :kiss2: !!! I have looked at every major jewelry line, designer and other high quality, such as what Neiman Marcus carries, and nothing appeals to me STYLE-WISE like VCA. The one exception is that I think Cartier watches are beautiful, and I do have one and there's one more I'd consider. I absolutely do NOT buy VCA because of the brand name. I buy it because I find the designs to be whimsical, feminine, classic, unique, beautiful, and well made. Sadly they come with quite a brand premium, but they also hold their value probably more than any other jewelry. So if I decided to sell, I likely could get most of my money back out of it, and in at least some cases such as limited piece, one can make a profit. I won't collect a lot, but my plan is to get a select few yg and wg pieces. (I have a few other things such as a Tiffany diamond platinum cross pendant, etc. and Roberto Coin pieces, and those were all like-new second hand or on sale.)

I never buy based on trends or brand name, only classics that are beautiful and timeless.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results