shape
carat
color
clarity

How important is color, really?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WannaRockHerWorld

Rough_Rock

I’m new to the website, and in generally, I don’t post to ANY forums for anything. But considering the magnitude of my impending purchase, I thought it merits a post. I’m hoping to get some meaningful feedback, so I’ll thank you all in advance.

So I’m looking for an E-ring, and I’m struggling with whether it’s worth it to go from a ring with an H/I color versus a J. Just to give you some idea as to what stage I’m at in my purchase, my approach was as follows: In layman’s terms, I wanted to get the biggest, shiniest, sparkliest, rock I could find, and of course, which my budget would allow, which led me to believe that I should prioritize the 4C’s in this order: Carat, Cut, Color, and Clarity.

With my budget being in the $13k-$14.5/$15k range, through some searches on some popular websites (i.e. bluenile), I have found that I could afford a rock with the following approximate gradings ~2.0 carat, Ideal Cut, I/J color, VS2/SI2 clarity. I’ve found that the difference between the I and J color (with all other things being approximately equal) is about $1k. My first question is, is the jump from J to I worth it?

I was in a jewelry store yesterday and the woman there was telling me that if you want to make a jump from J, you should be looking at a G/H, as you really only see differences between E/F, G/H and I/J, and not so much between I and J. (I should also mention that she was trying to sell me a J ring, which seemed like a good deal, but it was about 1.9 carats and about $9k, however I’m willing to spend more for a bigger, better ring.)

I can see the difference between an I and a J, when placed side-by-side, but I’m still struggling to decide whether or not that difference is worth the extra $$. And then my other question is, should I downgrade on carat to get an H or G? Is that trade-off worth it? What are your personal views on that trade-off?

Mr New York

Rough_Rock
Go to a Jeweler and look at the differences. Thats what my gf and I are doing tomorrow. We''re lucky enough to live close enough to visit the GOG store!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
More important than how you feel about the color/carat tradeoff, or even our opinions on the color/carat tradeoff, how does SHE feel about the color/carat tradeoff? Is the 2 carat goal her goal or yours? Is she color sensitive?

There are many threads on this issue and we are all across the board in our opinions. Here is a recent thread. I know there are others, I just can't find them
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/would-you-rather-have-1-6-g-vs2-or-1-75-i-vs2.89492/.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Color choice is an extremely personal opinion. As you go farther from 'D', the range of 'color' included in each grade becomes wider so more stone color is included in each range. J is where the range really starts getting wide - thus if you have a stone at the 'high' range of J, it can look very close to a 'low' I, but a stone at the 'low' range of J can show a lot more color than an I. A high E and low E will still be very close and difficult to differentiate from a D for most people, esp in the face up position.

The larger a stone gets, the more likely it is to show color in each color grade (in other words a 1 carat I will not show as much color as a 2 carat I, etc). Also consider the setting - an open setting is going to have more of the sides visible (where more color shows as she moves her hand around), whereas a bezel type setting can help by hiding the sides where color is often even more predominant.

Go and look at stones in the size that you are interested in and see what your preferences are. It would be nice (if you aren't totally trying to surprise her) if you could take her along to see what her preferences are too (one of you may be more sensitive than the other)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2008 4:23:22 PM
Author: :)
Color choice is an extremely personal opinion. As you go farther from ''D'', the range of ''color'' included in each grade becomes wider so more stone color is included in each range. J is where the range really starts getting wide - thus if you have a stone at the ''high'' range of J, it can look very close to a ''low'' I, but a stone at the ''low'' range of J can show a lot more color than an I. A high E and low E will still be very close and difficult to differentiate from a D for most people, esp in the face up position.

The larger a stone gets, the more likely it is to show color in each color grade (in other words a 1 carat I will not show as much color as a 2 carat I, etc). Also consider the setting - an open setting is going to have more of the sides visible (where more color shows as she moves her hand around), whereas a bezel type setting can help by hiding the sides where color is often even more predominant.

Go and look at stones in the size that you are interested in and see what your preferences are. It would be nice (if you aren''t totally trying to surprise her) if you could take her along to see what her preferences are too (one of you may be more sensitive than the other)
Ditto what :) and NEL have advised. Also try to concentrate on getting a really well cut diamond, and any colour and clarity grade you pick will look stunning!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''d personally get a J unless you or your girlfriend is color sensitive (most people can''t really tell the difference). Cut is most important so please be sure to do your research in that regard (sticking with AGS0''s is a pretty safe bet). After that I''d pick a vendor that is convenient for you and then pick out the best cut, eye-clean stone in your budget. It might end up being an H or an I but I''d be open to the J if that''s what is available (unfortunately this stone is reserved, but it''s $13648 through the PS search engine and is a good example of what you can get for your $ in the H&A department).

MaxPow3r

Rough_Rock
I just paid a visit to Whiteflash this past week and took a look at a few stones ranging from G - I color, all of which were AGS triple 0 stones around 1 carat. Honestly, I couldn''t tell a difference, especially face up. All were such excellent cuts that color didn''t seem to play any part in how they looked. Maybe I''m just not color sensitive? Regardless, I saw no difference.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto what some of the other posters have said -- it is a personal preference. When you go to the jeweler, try to see a D, E, F, G, H, I and J diamond next to each other... altho the shades might vary due to cut...

I was dead set on getting an "E" stone, as I love the icy white diamonds....and got a G and it''s as white as can be in all lighting. However, if someone were to put their D or E stone right up next to mine, I''m sure mine would show some color.

Some people like the "warmth" in a stone -- again, it''s whatever appeals to your eye!
2.gif
Good Luck!

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 4:51:53 PM
Author: MaxPow3r
I just paid a visit to Whiteflash this past week and took a look at a few stones ranging from G - I color, all of which were AGS triple 0 stones around 1 carat. Honestly, I couldn''t tell a difference, especially face up. All were such excellent cuts that color didn''t seem to play any part in how they looked. Maybe I''m just not color sensitive? Regardless, I saw no difference.
And sometimes people who ARE sensitive to color find the warmth seen in a ''lower'' color to be more appealing to the eye (or a better match to their skin tone!) - it is just really such a personal feeling.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Wanna,

I both appreciate what your jeweler told you, but also, am influenced by the empirical approach of MaxPower.

Regardless...given the particulars easily seen on this board...I DO like this one...

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
Make sure to look at the stone under various lighting, not just under the store lights which can disguise color. View the diamond on a white background as well.

I just read a book called "How to Buy a Diamond" by Fred Cuellar, AKA The Diamond Guy. Very good advise with lots of anecdotes and stories. It''s up to you and your girl what to choose -- if size is important then go lower in color. If you don''t like the warmer color, then compromise by coming down some in carat. Just don''t compromise on cut.

According to Cuellar and the GIA, DEF are colorless, GHI near colorless, and JKL slightly yellow. Stones larger than a half carat will show mor body color as size increases. But according to PSers who have J -- their stone faces up perfectly white!

You just have to look with your own eyes and decide what you see. Compare different colors on a white background and in various lighting. It''s very important to compare with other color stones --what looks acceptable by itself might look dingy next to a whiter stone.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
So many factors matter when thinking about color (cut, cut quality, fluorescence , setting, etc). I personally am color sensitive, and would try to get the best color possible. Some people prefer larger, slightly warmer stones. I have seen many beauitful J color stones though, but it is best to view the diamond in person.

WannaRockHerWorld

Rough_Rock
I wanted to thank everyone for their input. I realize that this is a very subjective topic and has more to do with personal preference, but I just wanted to get some general feedback.

Unfortunately, I''m trying to make this a surprise so I cannot get her input on preference, but fortunately, my gf is very easy going, and will absolutely love anything I give her. However, as my username implies, I would like to exceed expectations and "Rock Her World".

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I love my I color and never saw any tint until I put it next to one of those fake cz rings in a Belk. Turns out I liked the tint I saw in it, but I''ve never seen it otherwise. Next time I would definitely go for the J, for a pendant I''ll look for a K. But some people think differently so you really should go see more for yourself. And although size may be important, CUT should be your first priority. A very well cut can make a smaller carat weight appear bigger than a not so well cut heavier diamond anyway. If you don''t want to do tons of research, stick to AGS0. Don''t rely on "GIA excellent". I did and it''s on it''s way to Whiteflash to be recut!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
It really all relates to personal preference. Color was very impt to me. I would prefer to go lower in both clarity & carat size, within reason, pf course, in order to stay within the D - F range. This is just my personal preference.
Others are quite happy with other color ranges and if they even notice a difference, it is negligible.

My suggestion would be to gauge how important it is to you or girlfriend, by experimenting/comparing diamonds in different color ranges. If you notice a difference and don''t like it, then ... there you go. If you don''t notice a difference then, it''s not that important to you.

Good luck with your search!
35.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 5:59:55 PM
Author: Kelli
I love my I color and never saw any tint until I put it next to one of those fake cz rings in a Belk. Turns out I liked the tint I saw in it, but I've never seen it otherwise. Next time I would definitely go for the J, for a pendant I'll look for a K. But some people think differently so you really should go see more for yourself. And although size may be important, CUT should be your first priority. A very well cut can make a smaller carat weight appear bigger than a not so well cut heavier diamond anyway. If you don't want to do tons of research, stick to AGS0. Don't rely on 'GIA excellent'. I did and it's on it's way to Whiteflash to be recut!
EXACTLY!! I always think that if my diamond (being close to the 2 carat range), were and E color, and blindingly "icy white" that people would assume it was a cz, because of it's size. I LOVE having an H/I color diamond, with a teeny wee cloud in it (I think of it as it's birthmark, and can easily identify it, when it's being worked on at a jeweler's). It is personal preference for sure..HOWEVER in my experience the only thing people notice is the SIZE of the diamond (not color or clarity). A few have asked me what size it is, but never what color! I''d proudly wear the J..and if I had the option of going bigger, but down a color grade (to a J), I'd do it in a heartbeat!

goodys4me

Rough_Rock
It''s personal preference. I''m color sensitive. I took a look at some Hearts on Fire diamonds yesterday that were H and I in color and I could really see the yellowish tint. When I mentioned it to the salesperson, they said it was just one of the colors of the spectrum shining through since it was a HoF stone. But, I then put it up next to a non-brand D color stone and the yellowish tint was even more pronounced. To my BF, he can barely see the difference, but to my eyes it''s obvious. For some reason, I just see more yellow in a HoF stone than in non-HoF stones. I looked at a Tiffany H-color and it didn''t look as yellow as the HoF H-color I viewed. Some people prefer the warmer colors, I like mine icy white. The more you get out there and actually see the different stones, different cuts, colors, etc. you''ll have a better idea of what your tastes are and what looks gorgeous to you.
17.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Hey Beau13 mine has a cloud too and I love it for the very same reason you do. It''s a vs2, but I can still see it from the side (a little) it''s right on that line that shows halfway down on a RB. It looks like a bubble floating to the top! Sorry to thread jack, just thought it was interesting. See, people can love flaws too!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 5:45:39 PM
Author: RxTechRN2b
Make sure to look at the stone under various lighting, not just under the store lights which can disguise color. View the diamond on a white background as well.

I just read a book called ''How to Buy a Diamond'' by Fred Cuellar, AKA The Diamond Guy. Very good advise with lots of anecdotes and stories. It''s up to you and your girl what to choose -- if size is important then go lower in color. If you don''t like the warmer color, then compromise by coming down some in carat. Just don''t compromise on cut.

According to Cuellar and the GIA, DEF are colorless, GHI near colorless, and JKL slightly yellow. Stones larger than a half carat will show mor body color as size increases. But according to PSers who have J -- their stone faces up perfectly white!

You just have to look with your own eyes and decide what you see. Compare different colors on a white background and in various lighting. It''s very important to compare with other color stones --what looks acceptable by itself might look dingy next to a whiter stone.
Do yourself a favor and have a Google on ''ol Fred and search for him here on PS. He''s a convicted felon, and his book is full of misinformation like "warped" diamonds.
2.gif

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 6:42:45 PM
Author: purrfectpear

I just read a book called ''How to Buy a Diamond'' by Fred Cuellar, AKA The Diamond Guy. Very good advise with lots of anecdotes and stories. It''s up to you and your girl what to choose -- if size is important then go lower in color. If you don''t like the warmer color, then compromise by coming down some in carat. Just don''t compromise on cut.

Do yourself a favor and have a Google on ''ol Fred and search for him here on PS. He''s a convicted felon, and his book is full of misinformation like ''warped'' diamonds.
2.gif
Purrfect beat me to it...!

diamondquester

Rough_Rock
What about I color in a princess? This post: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-color-diamonds-vs-g-colors.25946/ makes it sound like there is a big difference between H and I in princess. (Also mentioned this just now in my other post: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-with-internet-diamonds.92070/) I''m actually having second thoughts on getting an I for a princess.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I love the lower diamond colors and you get alot more bang for your buck.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 6:50:05 PM
Author: diamondquester
What about I color in a princess? This post: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-color-diamonds-vs-g-colors.25946/ makes it sound like there is a big difference between H and I in princess. (Also mentioned this just now in my other post: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-with-internet-diamonds.92070/) I''m actually having second thoughts on getting an I for a princess.
Again it is person dependent - a princess will be more likely to show color in the pointy tips

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Ditto everyone. Color is personal preference. On average though, G-H is a good "safe" place to be on color if you really want this to be a surprise.

Also, if your gf doesn''t care about a specific size, stay just under 2 carats to avoid paying a premium -- that should help you get more diamond for your $$$.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 6:38:02 PM
Hey Beau13 mine has a cloud too and I love it for the very same reason you do. It's a vs2, but I can still see it from the side (a little) it's right on that line that shows halfway down on a RB. It looks like a bubble floating to the top! Sorry to thread jack, just thought it was interesting. See, people can love flaws too!
I don't think any diamond is "flawless", some have more character than others! I have a few flaws..and that's what makes me so attractive to my hubby!
emwink.gif
I also like the fact that my diamond has certain characteristics that make it not so perfect, because again,I can show others it is indeed a diamond (have had a few question it). If it wasn't a diamond..it would be flawless and icey white right??

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 8:01:26 PM
Author: beau13

Date: 8/7/2008 6:38:02 PM
Hey Beau13 mine has a cloud too and I love it for the very same reason you do. It''s a vs2, but I can still see it from the side (a little) it''s right on that line that shows halfway down on a RB. It looks like a bubble floating to the top! Sorry to thread jack, just thought it was interesting. See, people can love flaws too!
I don''t think any diamond is ''flawless'', some have more character than others! I have a few flaws..and that''s what makes me so attractive to my hubby!
emwink.gif
I also like the fact that my diamond has certain characteristics that make it not so perfect, because again,I can show others it is indeed a diamond (have had a few question it). If it wasn''t a diamond..it would be flawless and icey white right??
Technically they do make CZs that are not colorless or ''icey'' (master CZ sets, some for consumer purchase CZs too). I don''t think there is a very large consumer market for them though. (And I understand your point!)

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
Wow -- that''s an eye opener about Fred Cueller. I trusted in the credentials right on the front cover since they themselves are completely trustworthy -- the Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, the Washington Post, MSNBC. Also, President Bush and Oprah have bought from him! And I didn''t see anything obviously coming from way out in left field -- I''ve read similar in other diamond books and research on the history of diamonds marketing the "diamond invention." Cuellar does throw great caution in dealing with internet jewelers, which is of course a touchy subject on a forum endorsed by internet vendors. Even that information is useful for people who may not have considered problems such as the anual inpection and upkeep, etc. In any case, I wouldn''t buy a diamond from him knowing he''s one of the crooked jewelers he writes about, have never heard of "warped diamonds" (as apparently he has told people calling him about other jewelers diamonds), and will read the book again with different eyes. How scarey to know that a convicted felon is able to sell the 6th edition of the #1 selling diamond book at Barnes and Noble! You''d think all the honest jewelers out there could do something about this deception of the public and get the book taken off the shelves. I''m not so much worried about inacurate information, because nothing really jumped out as wrong. I''m just upset that the guy can make such a tidy profit at something for which he has a prior felony! I plan to do some more in depth research on this guy as soon as I can get to a real computer (my blackberry can only do so much on the internet). I need to find out who to trust!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

I just read a book called 'How to Buy a Diamond' by Fred Cuellar, AKA The Diamond Guy. Very good advise with lots of anecdotes and stories. It's up to you and your girl what to choose -- if size is important then go lower in color. If you don't like the warmer color, then compromise by coming down some in carat. Just don't compromise on cut.

You just have to look with your own eyes and decide what you see. Compare different colors on a white background and in various lighting. It's very important to compare with other color stones --what looks acceptable by itself might look dingy next to a whiter stone.
Hi terry, I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with some of your post.
With re to your last statement. I agree that viewing stones upside down on a flat white background is a useful way to critically compare colour - but it has no real life bearing.
Or, as Rhino would like to say, "not until we start mounting diamonds upside down and the wearer has albino skin" lol
41.gif

Comparing stones side by side is great while you are making buying decisions and defining your level of comfort with colour. But again, IRL after we buy a diamond I don't know what situations it will look "dingy", unless you wear multiple stones varying from D to L on the same hand.
2.gif

Please understand i am not "picking you apart" or anything like that, I would just like to see the OP get the most accurate info without a bias created towards lower coloured stones.

1.gif

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s better to be safe than sorry. Since it''s a surprise I think no lower than an I. The really fancy shmancy stores like Cartier, Tiffany and Harry Winston stay in the D-I range.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results