shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you rather have 1.6 G VS2 or 1.75 I VS2??

G or I?

• 1.6 G

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 1.75 I

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

caligirl08

Rough_Rock
Pser''s, in the endless debate on color/size, just wondering if you''d go from G to I color for .15 more in carat weight?
I think diameter on G is 7.5-7.53 and the I in 7.76-7.79.

G is GIA excellent (very good symmetry and polish)
I is AGS ideal (0 symmetry and polish- negligible fluoro)

thanks!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go for the G. At that size, the difference is moot.
28.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i''ll take the G VS2

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
I like bigger too and would have to see stones to choose. More than likely, I'd end up looking for an even bigger, eye-clean SI1!
31.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer the smaller G but as SDL points out it comes down to what you prefer.
I am sure whatever ring you get will be beautiful!

Best wishes,
Missy

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
The I - but only because of the AGS cert!

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock
I would chose I because that''s the color I got for my fiance (1.5 carat) and we are not that color sensitive. It all depends on you! Best of luck.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I prefer a higher colour and 1.6cts is a lovely size :)

At the end of the day it is what you prefer that matters:)

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the size and get the I. I would probably go lower with all the beautiful J''s and K''s that I have seen.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2008 7:01:22 PM
Author: Ellen
28.gif
HI:

Yup.

cheers--Sharon

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Erm, this debate is getting harder now.
I couldn't confidently say without seeing the diamonds...
I *think* I would go for the higher colour, but after Wink's comments, I'm less sure of myself!
Also, the I diamond has great specs...

This colour/size topic is getting really interesting... and thought provoking!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
28.gif
Absolutely!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 9:16:54 PM
Author: MissGotRocks

28.gif
Absolutely!
Ditto
35.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the minority. If given the chance to view both stones, I''d let my eyes pick. If I were choosing based on data alone (not having the opportunity to see both stones in person), I''d pick the I stone. It''s bigger and it''s AGS0 - things that would sway me.

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
I voted for G. I love colorless rocks, unless it''s an antique stone of course.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2008 9:37:30 PM
Author: Allison D.
I''m in the minority. If given the chance to view both stones, I''d let my eyes pick. If I were choosing based on data alone (not having the opportunity to see both stones in person), I''d pick the I stone. It''s bigger and it''s AGS0 - things that would sway me.
Ditto Alj.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 6:13:22 AM
Author: Lorelei

Ditto Alj.
ditto again. true that side by side a 1.75 and 1.6 may not be much size difference - but we all know that baby will be on its own once its on your finger.
I vote the I, as I''ve just received my K and its as white as can be (and what Allison said above, lol).

Sparkle_Girl

Shiny_Rock
i love the icy look so def go with the G
36.gif

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 8:07:59 AM
Author: arjunajane

Ditto Alj.
ditto again. true that side by side a 1.75 and 1.6 may not be much size difference - but we all know that baby will be on its own once its on your finger.
I vote the I, as I''ve just received my K and its as white as can be (and what Allison said above, lol).
Ditto again.

I always suggest no compromise on cut quality but then going for the larger carat/best colour in your budget as after sparkle what you see is size and colour. Though there are many tools to help with evaluating cut (e.g. Idealscope, ASET) - the best way to judge colour is to see the diamond in person as everyone has a different perpection of this. Just as someone has coined the term "mind clean" for clarity - I think there is a similar concept on colour applies i.e. "Mind-white"

When well-cut, whilst D-F (colourless) G-J( near colourless) all look like shades of white when face-up set in jewellery it depends on your perception visually and in your mind.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2008 8:18:01 AM
Author: Indira-London

Ditto Alj.
Ditto again.

I always suggest no compromise on cut quality but then going for the larger carat/best colour in your budget as after sparkle what you see is size and colour. Though there are many tools to help with evaluating cut (e.g. Idealscope, ASET) - the best way to judge colour is to see the diamond in person as everyone has a different perpection of this. Just as someone has coined the term ''mind clean'' for clarity - I think there is a similar concept on colour applies i.e. ''Mind-white''

When well-cut, whilst D-F (colourless) G-J( near colourless) all look like shades of white when face-up set in jewellery it depends on your perception visually and in your mind.
Indira, that is a great point, and I shall definitely be using that term, most useful and descriptive - thanks!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go for the I mostly because it''s an AGS 0 and AGS 0 stones are graded more strictly than GIA Excellent. It doesn''t hurt that it''s a little bit bigger!

If you post all the numbers the round brilliant experts around here could probably tell you if the GIA Excellent is as well cut as the AGS 0.

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
The difference in mm is so minuscule that you''d never notice it in those carat weights, I''d go for the higher color. You didn''t give info on cut quality, assuming it is exactly the same then the smaller is the finer diamond. My own preference would be an even smaller stone with VS clarity and E/F color.

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I see there is additional information. In that case I would have to assess both stones side-by-side and choose the one that appears finer to my eyes.

Some people are impressed by size and would simply go for the larger, even though the mm difference is scant. Others who want the finer things will have different criteria to guide their choice (not to say that the larger in this poll is the inferior stone). If both stones look equal in whiteness, clearness, and sparkliness, then I would go with the larger as long as the proportions were ideal on my hand.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Respectfully, I'd point out "finer" is subjective. It's fair to say it may be more rare, but it's not necessarily "better".

Color is a preference thing; some people prefer warmer color. Preference things aren't right or wrong, per se.

Beyond that, some may look at those two stones and surmise that the I color is "finer" from a cut perspective. I'd personally prefer "finer" cut than finer color, but that's my individual preference.

The good news is there are enough variables to please all buyers, whatever their individual priorities and preferences may be.
1.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Knowing that the I is an AGS0, I''d go that route most definitely.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 8:18:01 AM
Author: Indira-London

Ditto Alj.
Ditto again.
Ditto too!

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
How true -- "finer" is subjective to the viewer''s eye. As I said, it''s hard to tell about these two diamonds and I would have to see them in person to judge which one I prefer as the "finer." I do love this forum because of all the different styles of settings and diamonds and sizes -- some are big and gloriously ornate while others are small and simple. Or you can have smaller diamonds in highly detailed settings with an awesome huge stone all on its solitaire own. And of course there are styles to suit every in-between taste. You''ve got round diamonds, squares and pears, all divine. Icy whites or warmer tones look good in just the right settings to best display their color. Whatever YOU choose is the "finer" choice, after all!

alexandrite_lover

Rough_Rock
Thritto!

But with that having been said, what is the setting like? With a halo, the G will be stunning due to color; with a solitare, though, I''d go for the I!

alexandrite_lover

Rough_Rock
"Thritto" to going for the G- I lcan''t believe I left that out
32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results