shape
carat
color
clarity

How frequently/easily do you spot sub-par diamonds IRL?

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With all the expertise on this forum I wonder how frequently people encounter diamonds in real life that they can tell are sub-par in terms of cut, color or clarity.

Any stories where a friend or acquaintance showed you a stone they were happy with and you could immediately tell something was wrong? Did you tell that friend about your thoughts?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my vision is too crappy to notice other people's ring in a harsh light lol. I will say though that I NEVER received so many compliments until I got my ACA. Yes, it's huge (lol), but I think the cut is also a factor.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend recently got engaged, and I can see her diamond isn’t that great, but I’d never say anything. She’s thrilled, her fiancé bought it as a surprise, and I’m sure they both think it’s great, as long as they’re happy, it’s not really anyone else’s business.

Another friend was burgled recently and had all her jewellery stolen, she asked me to point her in the right direction for a 5 stone band, which I happily did.

I don’t think it’s ever a good idea to give an opinion unless it’s expressly asked for, and then you really need to know someone well and be extremely tactful.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The first thing I notice is the size. Cut is next, although in certain lighting conditions it can come first. I remember a lady wearing a fireball of a diamond across a restaurant with spotlighting - and upon closer inspection it was huge, so probably easier to spot. Color is difficult to tell unless it was obviously tinted face up and clarity I can't tell, unless again, very obvious. All this is from normal viewing distance, not looking up close intently for a good minute!

I have had a few acquaintances where the ring was probably not cut well, but I choose to smile and congratulate them on their engagement and ring. What is the point of pointing out something off with their ring when they have already bought it and are enjoying it? It serves no purpose other than to make them feel worse about their ring. If they had approached me for assistance during the shopping process or confided that something is off with their ring that would be a different story, although as @Austina has said, it needs to be done with tact and sensitivity.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Often, I live in the UK where most people have access to sub par stones only! One of my colleagues is sporting a horrible pear that looks like a highly included snowball, no sparkle whatsoever. I’d NEVER ever comment, although I have tried to educate a couple of people embarking on buying E rings.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don't know what you mean by sub-par......but are you worried about this happening to you?

cheer--Sharon

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I can only see really low colors if the lighting is right, it's at least a carat, and I have a chance to look at it, meaning not just a glance.
I can also tell when a diamond is heavily included if it' opaque. Can't see the inclusions, but a diamond that's not clear is bleh to me.

As far as cut goes, no, I can't tell. There are too many variables - like how clean the diamond is, and lighting. I just know when I see a pretty diamond, that it's preeeeeeeeettty.. lol.. :bigsmile:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It depends on the person honestly. I see the rings floating around in my office quite frequently, and other than observing the size (mostly since they are HUGE), I don't pay attention to cut/color. I can tell when someone's had their ring cleaned though as it appears suddenly much brighter/sparkly-er over night...

But, with my friends who became engaged and have allowed me to observe their rings in fairly minute detail? (even under a loupe a few times!) Yes, I can definitely see things like clarity and cut. What do I do? I let the excitement of the engagement roll my along with the oohing and ahhing...other than that I keep my mouth shut shut shut. What occlusion? What cloud at 2 O'clock? What do you mean there's a carbon spec under the table? I see NOTHING of that sort! It is NONE of my business, my job is to help my friend celebrate. Whatever it looks like, it is the most perfect ring they will ever receive!

ETA: The italicized text is made up and I have not come across them in person with anyone whose ring I have observed in person.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see lots of sub par diamonds. Even at the local jeweler. I would never tell a friend their diamond was bad unless they earnestly asked.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think I would never know because I see most diamonds on friends in 1.) ballroom lighting at weddings, 2.) shopping malls 3.) restaurants and they are always quite sparkly in that lighting. The average is 0.5ct so I probably wouldn’t notice if they were sub-standard in shaded daylight because I can’t stare at it. It’s not really common to examine friends’ engagement rings like super close-up here or talk about it (i think it’s out of politeness/fear of being rude). If something was 1.5-2ct and not shiny I’m sure I would notice, but the 1.5-2ct that I’ve seen on friends have been marvelous-looking, so incredibly clear and just stunning. This is because in Asia usually if you are buying big from a BM jeweler (and we don’t have online stores for diamonds), the price is gonna be huge and the quality will probably also be decent since high color and clarity are valued. No frozen spit.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After spending time here on PS, I’ve found I’m more likely to be able to spot one at most of the jewellers I window shop at. This is normally in terms of how the stone is cut and performs.

And I have noticed things in friend’s/acquaintance’s stones but haven’t ventured forth my opinion unless expressly asked (only once in the last year when asked by a work colleague about the stone he bought for his wife).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg all the time and I would never say a word, unless they bring up some issue they may have with it or why it doesn’t seem to sparkle as much as mine. Even then I just explain that mine is an OEC and the cuts are entirely different.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah yes, when I was young and too honest.
A work colleague came in wearing their new engagement ring, very proud. Telling everyone that the ring cost the fiancé over $10,000.
One look told me that it was CZ. The “925” inside for sterling silver was the clincher.
Thinking they had been “ripped off big time” I thought I’ll be cunning so I took her to my jeweler and got him to examine the ring, I told her she needed to get a valuation.
Of course he says, this ring I’m afraid is just sterling silver set with a Cubic Zirconia, worth about $50.
Phew I thought, now they can get their money back from the thief / conperson that sold it to them.
Wrong.
Turns out fiancé had lost nearly $10,000 from their joint account gambling and to “hide it” he has bought the cheap ring and passed it off as an expensive diamond ring.
The relationship obviously broke up and I felt really really awful (she never knew that I “planned the jewelers visit so as to reveal it as a CZ)
In hindsight, I did her a favour. What a jerk losing $10,000 of joint money gambling AND trying to deceive her.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A friend just got engaged with a solitaire that I’m guessing is just under a carat. When I looked at it I instantly saw there is a cloud/feather inclusion on one side that takes up about 1/5th of the face up surface area. I would never say anything or point it out. She loves the ring which her fiancé had custom made for her. He picked the stone so I hope he at least knows what he got because it was a trade in. Who knows? Maybe he got the setting and stone as part of the trade. The setting is very nicely made and suits the stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only time I see great cut diamonds is when I am with PS friends! Those are easy to spot and clean!!!

But I don't go up to strangers and examine their diamonds closely, and I certainly would never make a negative comment about someone's diamond even if they asked. The only exception is if the person is shopping. Then I'll steer them to well cut diamonds!

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! That is a crazy story :shock:

A work colleague came in wearing their new engagement ring, very proud. Telling everyone that the ring cost the fiancé over $10,000.
One look told me that it was CZ. The “925” inside for sterling silver was the clincher.
Thinking they had been “ripped off big time” I thought I’ll be cunning so I took her to my jeweler and got him to examine the ring, I told her she needed to get a valuation.
Of course he says, this ring I’m afraid is just sterling silver set with a Cubic Zirconia, worth about $50.
Phew I thought, now they can get their money back from the thief / conperson that sold it to them.
Wrong.
Turns out fiancé had lost nearly $10,000 from their joint account gambling and to “hide it” he has bought the cheap ring and passed it off as an expensive diamond ring.
The relationship obviously broke up and I felt really really awful (she never knew that I “planned the jewelers visit so as to reveal it as a CZ)
In hindsight, I did her a favour. What a jerk losing $10,000 of joint money gambling AND trying to deceive her.

Last edited:

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
It happens here and there but if has already been purchased I congratulate them and “ooh and aah” as customary. If they are shopping then I definitely suggest certain vendors and IS images. If I start talking HCA and crown angles I tend to lose them and the blank looks commence. :eh:

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I usually assume the diamonds are dirty. Most people walk around with filthy diamonds

YES!!! Drives me crazy!! It’s so gross.

And to answer OP’s question, I notice the poor cut of people’s diamonds second the quality of the setting, because yes, most are covered in schmutz. Poor quality settings are rampant. And no I’ve never said anything to anyone and frankly no one has ever asked.

Kurosawa

Rough_Rock
RetroTreeGal, if it's not too much trouble, could you expand on poor quality settings? What traits tip you off as to whether a setting is high or low quality?

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
I work with the public and I have a habit of checking out stones. I saw one last night that absolutely blew my mind. She ended up coming back because she forgot something and I actually mentioned her ring to her. Turns out it was her grandmothers and they made her engagement ring with the stone. It was absolutely stunning.

I learned a long time ago to not talk about stones with friends unless asked. To most it's an emotional purchase and you typically just cause friction in the process.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES!!! Drives me crazy!! It’s so gross.
YES!!! what is with people not cleaning their rings? I was having breakfast with a friend recently who commented on how sparkly my rings were, had I had them cleaned? I said not at the jeweler just did them myself and she said oh I should take mine in for cleaning. Which.. why wouldn't you clean them as often as you wash your hands? Don't people like seeing them sparkle and shine?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wrong.

Wow!! What an unlucky, lucky break!! She’s better off! You saved her from a miserable life!!! :o

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
I would say I notice settings more than the stones.....cringe worthy prongs, poor quality melee, etc. I feel like I'm more forgiving on my assessment of the center stones (of course all in my head, because you never point out flaws!)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll share my odd experience from today. A woman came in for her appointment, today, and I noticed her ER...not because it was remarkable, in a good way, but because it was remarkable in a “holy crap! What is THAT?” way.
She had a 1+/-ct center stone (Emerald Cut, I THINK), Set in a pave halo. Her WR is so thin, I thought it was part of the ER. Her center EC (still questionable-it was rectangular) was dark GRAY! Now, it COULD have been a gray spinel...but I was afraid to strike up conversation with her about it for fear it was just a diamond’s worst nightmare! I couldn’t even see the steps on this thing, and it didn’t flash or scintillate...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do notice but I would never say a word. If someone asks for recommendations I gladly help them.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results