shape
carat
color
clarity

How easy is it to engrave an initial on a silver charm?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm working on a mother's ring for myself. I'm leaning towards a silver ring with a couple of dangling heart charms and engraving the kid's initials of their first names on the charms. This is something any jeweler can do right? My Italian jeweler is kind of a pain to deal with so if engraving silver is difficult then I may go a different route.

IMG_9197.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also if I find one of these rings in a size 8, is it a big deal to size silver a half to whole size?

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Silver is very easy to engrave and size. It’s shouldn’t be an issue, the only thing is that if it has a pattern like above the pattern will get messed up

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience, it can be difficult to find a jeweler/bench person who works with silver, and oftentimes silver ring resizing is limited to 1/2 to 1 size only, so maybe confirm you have access to a jeweler/silversmith before purchasing anything requiring re-sizing/engraving ... JMHO.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such a simple thing.
Find a band ring that you like, in your size, or even bigger.
Find heart charms that are the right size with room for initials.
I don't see why a jeweler couldn't engrave initials for you. Don't they still engrave bands and other things with dates, etc.?
What if you found vintage heart charms with the correct initials already engraved? Ebay? Etsy?
It's just a matter of soldering a loop into the band and attaching the charms.

If you can find a band you like, and the hearts with initials, send it to me and I will size it and assemble it for you, no charge:razz:

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Smith3 and @marymm I have a few ideas for this project so maybe I'll see if I can avoid involving a jeweler or silversmith.

@stracci2000 your post came in as I was typing, that is so sweet of you! I'm going to see what the Italian guy says about this idea about engraving and then I'll go from there. Still tossing around ideas but I came aross the silver ring with the heart charms last night and thought it would be perfect.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 so I found this, now I know this looks crazy dirty BUT it was $18!!! Sterling and size 6 1/2 can you size this up? If not it's only $18 and I'll figure out something to do with it but I didn't want it to sell before I asked:

IMG_9198.jpg IMG_9199.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 so I found this, now I know this looks crazy dirty BUT it was $18!!! Sterling and size 6 1/2 can you size this up? If not it's only $18 and I'll figure out something to do with it but I didn't want it to sell before I asked:

IMG_9198.jpg IMG_9199.jpg

Sure! I will add a piece and mimic the pattern.
What about the initials? I confess i never did any engraving.
But I'm sure it can be added later

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure! I will add a piece and mimic the pattern.
What about the initials? I confess i never did any engraving.
But I'm sure it can be added later

I might just leave the hearts as is, I really hate to alter an antique piece, maybe down the road I will have them engraved. Gosh I really appreciate you helping me out. When I started looking at rings like this they are selling so high, easily over $150 so I had to jump on this one.

Even if you have to interrupt the pattern, at least I'll be able to wear it! You are the best!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so welcome!
As you know, I do this kind of thing all the time, and I enjoy it very much!
I am thrilled to help you, and very happy to do it!
Just send it off to me and let me know what size you want it to be.=)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results