shape
carat
color
clarity

How does this sound?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm still as lost as when I first started. This diamond stuff can be quite tricky. Here is a little background. I'm going to ask my beautiful girlfriend of one year to marry me. I've already picked out the band. It's 18k white gold and has .50 carats in the band. My search for a diamond has been frustrating. The good thing is the ring doesn't need a big diamond to compliment it. I've discussed it with others and it looks like .75 round diamond is what I need to set it off. The tricky part is finding the perfect blend of C's for my budget. I've narrowed it down to a few choices but I wouldn't mind a few opinions from experts as yourselves. Does this sound like a good choice per GIA?

Color - G
Clarity - VS1
Cut - Excellent
Characteristics - Crystal
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Fluorescence - None

The price is 3k for the diamond alone.

I picked the best cut because I've heard that plays a huge role in brilliance. I've also heard the color is pretty negligible to the naked eye from "G" on up, hence the "G" pick ( same goes for the clarity choice). Can I do better with this price set in mind? Thanks for your time and help.

Oh yeah, this if off Blue Nile's website.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the numbers? GIA Ex cut might not be best in all cases which is why we need the numbers. Try running it through this tool. https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp If you get less than 2, then it is probably a good stone although we prefer to look at an Idealscope image to confirm that, but BN does not supply that.

EDT:
Are you trying to buy a round brilliant or other cuts? And is this just a general specs for what you going to search for?

This link is a video comparison of color in a ideal cuts stone. Take a look at it. http://vimeo.com/3288695 For me, I color is still negligible. As for clarity, as long as it is eye-clean and has no effect on light performance, it is good, you won't be able to tell the difference between an IF and an eye-clean SI1 or lower grade.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Sorry about that, here you go.

Depth - 62%
Table - 55%
Girdle - Medium, Faceted
Cutlet -None

I have no idea but round brilliant sounds good and yes, these are general specs.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 8:49:32 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Take a look at this.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2097574.htm#

That looks very nice. I just wonder if the .79 is worth the money over the .75? Also, per the the video the H is in the middle scale of the near colorless. Shouldn''t I try for the closest to colorless? I notice the diamond didn''t have the GIA grading. Is AGS just as prestigious as GIA? I''m guessing that''s an actual picture of the diamond. Is the star that pronounced when looking at it? I assume you showed this to me because you think this is a worthy diamond. Is it because you trust this grading system or because you think it''s a superior diamond? You''ve been very helpful and I thank you for responding so quick.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 9:04:00 PM
Author: HornAround

That looks very nice. I just wonder if the .79 is worth the money over the .75? Also, per the the video the H is in the middle scale of the near colorless. Shouldn''t I try for the closest to colorless? I notice the diamond didn''t have the GIA grading. Is AGS just as prestigious as GIA? I''m guessing that''s an actual picture of the diamond. Is the star that pronounced when looking at it? I assume you showed this to me because you think this is a worthy diamond. Is it because you trust this grading system or because you think it''s a superior diamond? You''ve been very helpful and I thank you for responding so quick.

AGS is considered a better lab around here. Their cut grading is better than GIA and color and clarity grading is just as stringent as GIA. The star is prominent especially if you look at it closely, that is one of the trade mark of a symmetrical cut stone.

Also the IS/ASET image is good. To understand these images, look at these link.
https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
H color will still be very white especially in a .75 range. AGS and GIA are both excellent grading labs but I prefer AGS. The diamond Stone listed would be an excellent choice for an engagement ring and will be gorgeous. Here are some other options:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2097578.htm $2813 PS discount

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1193790.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1197178.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2097565.htm

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Wow, this is harder than I expected it to be. The only thing I do know is online is where I''m going to find the best price, it''s just unfortunate that I can''t look at the diamond with my own eyes.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where are you located? Maybe you are near a vendor?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 9:27:13 PM
Wow, this is harder than I expected it to be. The only thing I do know is online is where I'm going to find the best price, it's just unfortunate that I can't look at the diamond with my own eyes.
Sorry you are finding this difficult, what are your main concerns? I am sure we can help and make this much easier for you!

With the first diamond you mentioned, can you list the crown and pavilion angles, polish and symmetry grades, girdle thickness and diameter measurement please if this is a diamond you are considering? This diamond might be ok and worth considering if you can get the info, I see we haven't looked at it properly yet.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
I''m located in Houston, Texas.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:18:28 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 4/14/2009 9:27:13 PM
Wow, this is harder than I expected it to be. The only thing I do know is online is where I'm going to find the best price, it's just unfortunate that I can't look at the diamond with my own eyes.
Sorry you are finding this difficult, what are your main concerns? I am sure we can help and make this much easier for you!

With the first diamond you mentioned, can you list the crown and pavilion angles, polish and symmetry grades, girdle thickness and diameter measurement please if this is a diamond you are considering? This diamond might be ok and worth considering if you can get the info, I see we haven't looked at it properly yet.

I don't think blue nile has all the info you are looking for (which concerns me). Here is the webpage for the diamond- Blue Nile. I'm torn between where to buy the ring from too. WF looks like they know what they're doing but I'm concerned on how reputable they are.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 11:20:04 AM
I'm located in Houston, Texas.

Then give WF a call, they are based there. Lucky you. They will entertain customers by appointment.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 11:27:28 AM

I don't think blue nile has all the info you are looking for (which concerns me). Here is the webpage for the diamond- Blue Nile. I'm torn between where to buy the ring from too. WF looks like they know what they're doing but I'm concerned on how reputable they are.
I don't think you'll have anything to worry about with regard to WF, their reputation is quite good. Also lucky you that you're in Houston, you can go (on appointment) and have a look for yourself.
36.gif

http://www.whiteflash.com/whiteflash_contact/

fabienne

Rough_Rock
Houston...lucky you! You're near Whiteflash!

I'm new but I wanted to ask you about the setting you chose for the diamond you are choosing. What type of setting is it? The reason I ask is because my ER has three 5 pointers on each side of my band. I was hoping to upgrade the stones to a higher quality since they just sit there and don't really sparkle but not able to because of the way the ring is designed. If your girlfriend is greedy like me, she'll want the sidestones to sparkle too!

ETA...did I say that right...5 pointers or is it .05 pointers? ?

Oh and I definitely wouldn't hesitate to work with Whiteflash if I lived locally.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Awesome, I''m going to go check them out this weekend.
Date: 4/15/2009 11:31:49 AM

Then give WF a call, they are based there. Lucky you. They will entertain customers by appointment.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 11:34:44 AM
Author: fabienne
Houston...lucky you! You''re near Whiteflash!

I''m new but I wanted to ask you about the setting you chose for the diamond you are choosing. What type of setting is it? The reason I ask is because my ER has three 5 pointers on each side of my band. I was hoping to upgrade the stones to a higher quality since they just sit there and don''t really sparkle but not able to because of the way the ring is designed. If your girlfriend is greedy like me, she''ll want the sidestones to sparkle too!

ETA...did I say that right...5 pointers or is it .05 pointers? ?

Oh and I definitely wouldn''t hesitate to work with Whiteflash if I lived locally.

Now I''m worried about the ring I picked out. I believe the ring has .25 baguettes on each side. I should probably find out what specifications the diamonds are before picking out the main one huh?

rickster123

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I just watched the color video.......great info. I learned that I cant tell the difference between D and M.........so I will never be a gemologist. Very informative video. Thanks for the reference.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
HornAround and Fabienne, here are a couple charts for you to help gauge the sizes of rounds. They're said to not be exact but are good estimates:

diamonds_.02_7.0.gif

skinny12.jpg

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I have a larger than average hand (ring size 8) and my 1.75 looks larger than their 2.0 ?

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the chart. I'm pretty set on the diamond size (.75-.82) . I guess I just need to decipher what's going to be the best bang for my buck. I just called my jeweler and got the info on my diamond band.

The ring has 4 baguettes totaling .29. It also has 12 round diamonds totaling .20. All of them are F-G color and VS1-VS2.

The diamond he tried selling me has these specifications

.78 carat

Color -G
Clarity - SI2
Cut -EGS ideal
Polish - very good
Symmetry - very good
Flourescence - none
Dimensions - 5.96 x 5.92
Depth - 61.20
Table - 56.80

The diamond looked nice to me but this was before I knew anything about anything.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 11:31:49 AM

Turns out I''m not too lucky as tax would be applied to my order since I''m in Texas......
29.gif

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Thoughts on my band and the diamond from WF?
33.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 3:12:34 PM
Turns out I''m not too lucky as tax would be applied to my order since I''m in Texas......
29.gif

Well, you can''t have it both ways right? To be able to see the stone and not pay taxes... :razz: It''s one or the other, or most of the time, neither.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
True.

Do you think this diamond would look right with my band? I'm going to check it out sometime this week. Pretty exciting and frustrating all at the same time. I found a similar diamond on Blue NIle for 100 bucks cheaper and of course, no tax. I wonder if the proportions are the same and how well their "ideal" cut is.......

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, WF has a good upgrade policy and the stone is a H&A cut. BN do not provide all the necessary information, so you are buying blind, no upgrade policy and not a H&A cut. H&A might or might not be what you are looking for, in that case compared the stone I picked with a similar ES stone when you go down to WF.

I can't comment on how well the stone will complement your ring as the ring I got my fiancee is a simple solitaire. It is also a matter of personal taste, what I like might not be what you and your fiancee like.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 12:12:00 PM
Author: girlie-girl
HornAround and Fabienne, here are a couple charts for you to help gauge the sizes of rounds. They''re said to not be exact but are good estimates:

diamonds_.02_7.0.gif

skinny12.jpg
I hadn''t seen those before, they are awesome!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 8:29:10 PM
This link is a video comparison of color in a ideal cuts stone. Take a look at it. http://vimeo.com/3288695 For me, I color is still negligible.
Wow, I guess I just learned that I'm color-sensitive!! Who knew?

I still like the look of lower colors, even though I can perceive it. ETA: I don't mean that perceiving lower colors (K-O) is what made me say I was color sensitive, I was talking about the difference between D-F.
1.gif

Re: your setting going with the stone that's picked out, why don't you take it with you to whiteflash and have them plop the stone in there? Then you'll have a very good idea of whether you like the look or not.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
That color comparison was great! I am very color sensitive- I couldn''t really tell the difference from the D to an E, but from the F on, it was very obvious... But I LOVE warm color stones!!! Thanks, whoever posted that!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results