shape
carat
color
clarity

How does one know, just based on a few photos....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man Made Diamond

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Good point.
You, and everyone else, can decide for themselves whether to care or not.
But the shininess being the same does not make them the same - not by a long shot.
Proof of this is in the price.
Supply and demand - and whether/how those, and we, have been manipulated is another thread.

The problem is the potential for deception when someone buys a MMD for marriage proposal.
Good, bad, right, or wrong, in our culture today it's assumed a proposal diamond was mined from the earth.

Many recipients of marriage proposal have not been pleased to find out the diamond they assumed was mined turns out to be manufactured in a lab.

Of course when both parties discuss and agree on a MMD before the proposal then it's fine, but lying and deception at this pivotal moment in a relationship is not fine.

But the question was how we felt about people posting fake or non-genuine or falsely stating the stats on the boards.

I don't see why we should care what someone else buys unless that post inspires another individual who then buys off of those false stats.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But the question was how we felt about people posting fake or non-genuine or falsely stating the stats on the boards.

I don't see why we should care what someone else buys unless that post inspires another individual who then buys off of those false stats.

I was responding to what Karl wrote, not the OP ... as indicated by my quoting Karl.
Nearly all threads veer off into tangents.
Karl's did.
I think it's fine and makes a conversation more interesting.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So are we more concerned about the amount of money spent or looking at pretty bling? I could show my ring only if I tell you how much I Spent? I have colored stones that are gorgeous that are lab created that I have not posted because they are not allowed. But is SMTB about the bling?

I don't care what something costs, or whether it's mined or made by the hand of man, as long as it looks great :))

I was just trying to get at the underlying thought processes behind whether or not MMD and Mined diamonds should both be in the SMTB section!

If some people would feel 'deceived' by an undeclared MMD, because they felt it was 'cheating', I would argue that posting things with clear explanations in all cases would mitigate/alleviate that issue :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Then if we post a shiny and not post what it is no one will be inspired to buy “false stats”. So then can we post a shiny just because it’s a shiny? Does it matter what it is if it’s pretty? Only if we care that someone spent less than us?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell you what, if I was being less than truthful I would be posting some big honker stones.

That's how you know all my posts are the real deal :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously I care a great deal about how a diamond performs and looks.

I also value when material, color, and clarity are from the earth instead of a lab.
That means something to me, and I'm okay with paying the higher price for diamonds that GIA or AGS has verified to be fully natural in material and color.
I'm also okay with the resulting tiny carat size that my budget can swing.
I'm not a size queen ... well ... with diamonds anyway. :Up_to_something:

Once again, one way is not universally superior to another way.

You get to not care about lab origin, and I get to care.
Nobody's right or wrong, or better or worse.
People just vary.

The only bad thing here is when sellers (or those proposing marriage) represent something from a lab as being natural and from the earth.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
99% of what I own is mined diamonds. Love them. Since this is a diamond board that makes money from sponsors who sell mined diamonds I would assume SMTB should be all mined diamonds. I personally dont care what people have and love to see bling. It’s not a big deal to go to each forum and see the bling there. Just have a SMTB under each forum.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
We can’t tell for certain that others are being truthful, and it’s wise to keep that in our minds when making friends online.

I enjoy the bling threads on all the PS forums. I also think communities are built on trust, and I can see how a situation of serial misrepresentation could be predatory.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I know for myself after the latest person posted her "graff bands" I felt very very unsafe.
I wanted to remove my pictures & my account.
I mean to me a person who does that might well have nefarious ideas and it scared me. I mean why else are they here?
And I abhor lying .

My husband reassured me that I'm not in any danger so I left it alone.
But again other than instinct I don't know how to prove anything.

Well, we’ll never know without a shadow of a doubt whether a piece posted is genuine or not, but that’s where trust comes in.

Personally, I don’t care if a piece in SMTB is made with earth-mined, MMD or simulants (though I’d support disclosure if the poster chooses to do so) because I’m really on there to go wow so sparkly and/or get inspiration for future projects. I’ll go one further and say that I don’t even mind people posting about setting questions for their MMD or simulants in RT, as long as the questions and conversation are limited to the metal type / design / bench etc. And they clearly state they are not discussing their stone.Though I think the latter becomes a more nebulous boundary and this is why the other subforums exist and RT is reserved for earth mined stones. I can think of a possibly better way of organising it (say, having only one RT, SMTB, Preloved etc and having a tag/filter system) but that would require a radical redesign of PS, and why fix something that isn’t broken?

Obviously in the preloved subforum or whenever sales are discussed then certs / proof are crucial since origin determines price.

My bigger issue, and where the safety issue really comes from, is when you have scammers/spammers posting pics of things they don’t own (a la Nida) as a way of possibly trying to build trust, get invited to GTGs, learn of other posters’ possessions for nefarious purposes etc. And since they get these images from Instagram usually, they’re posting pics of earth mined jewels. That to me is the greater danger!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good point.
You, and everyone else, can decide for themselves whether to care or not.
But the shininess being the same does not make them the same - not by a long shot.
Proof of this is in the price.
Supply and demand - and whether/how those, and we, have been manipulated is another thread.

The problem is the potential for deception when someone buys a MMD for marriage proposal.
Good, bad, right, or wrong, in our culture today it's assumed a proposal diamond was mined from the earth.

Many recipients of marriage proposal have not been pleased to find out the diamond they assumed was mined turns out to be manufactured in a lab.

Of course when both parties discuss and agree on a MMD before the proposal then it's fine, but lying and deception at this pivotal moment in a relationship is not fine.
I agree; lying and deception is never a good thing and a very bad way to start a marriage.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
To add to the discussion.
If someone posts a picture of a a ring lets say and someone asks them for more details.
They have the "right" to say mind your own business.
Now it's not how we as a community in general act ask most of us and you might find out way more information than you need just because a lot of us like to geek out on diamonds and jewellery.
But the person asking has no "right" to any information.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So are we more concerned about the amount of money spent or looking at pretty bling? I could show my ring only if I tell you how much I Spent? I have colored stones that are gorgeous that are lab created that I have not posted because they are not allowed. But is SMTB about the bling?

There is a lab created CS SMTB thread.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results