shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you style your tennis necklace?

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After much faffing and an exchange from the vendor, I finally have my tennis necklace! I’ve ended up with 7.2 carat natural earth mined diamonds, H/I colour, SI/VS2 clarity 16.5 inches in 18 karat white gold. The intention was for it to be low key enough for everyday wear.

I am however finding it hard to wear. With the rest of my jewellery I feel a bit overdressed. I know it sounds dumb, but in very bright sunlight/ overhead lighting it sparkles and grabs attention making me feel a bit uncomfortable during the day. I know a few pricescopers own tennis necklaces and wear them daily. So I’d love to ask: ‘How do I style this necklace so it doesn’t look too flashy for daytime?’

Any advice on layering techniques, other jewellery you wear with it and what clothing style you prefer would be greatly appreciated.

Just for context. I own and usually wear daily some combination of very classic diamond pieces (solitaire, larger eternity band, tennis bracelet) I usually wear black, white and grey and live in Northern Europe where we don’t tend to wear as much fine jewellery.

Attachments

• IMG_6218.jpeg
    IMG_6218.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_6401.png
    IMG_6401.png
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 71
I don’t personally think it looks OTT at all, it looks very pretty! I think if you wear it with a couple of pendants it actually looks more dressed down, also if you wear it on your skin instead of against your blouse. Or if you wear it with a collared shirt, leaving the top couple buttons open, so it just peeks out. Beautiful!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks lovely and not flashy at all @RosieR !

Whilst I don’t own a tennis necklace, I wonder whether a shorter length would make it more casual? How long is it at the moment and can you shorten it by taking out (and repurposing) a few diamonds, and adding an extension chain to have it at a longer length too?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks lovely..classic and elegant @RosieR

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosie I love this on you. All of your pieces are so classic - you just can’t go wrong either individually or together. Love @AllAboardTheBlingTrain ‘s suggestions of how to wear it to make it more casual, but honestly, I think it looks fine. I totally get what you are saying about being overdressed (I have battled with mental pictures of Dame Edna over the years too!) but really truly, you rock that necklace.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think sometimes when you get a new piece of jewelry, it stands out and you feel as though it stands out to everyone. I agree with the others - I think it looks fabulous on you and not 'in your face' at all. You have always chosen beautiful, classic pieces and you really can't go wrong with any of them. Hope this beauty grows on you quickly!!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think sometimes when you get a new piece of jewelry, it stands out and you feel as though it stands out to everyone. I agree with the others - I think it looks fabulous on you and not 'in your face' at all. You have always chosen beautiful, classic pieces and you really can't go wrong with any of them. Hope this beauty grows on you quickly!!

There is definitely an element of this at play. The necklace was made in November when I live in polo neck jumpers and scarves. The odd occasion when I haven’t been wearing all those clothes and wore the necklace it seemed a bit ‘in yer face’
I’ve not had enough warm weather or occasions to wear it and feel comfortable.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is definitely an element of this at play. The necklace was made in November when I live in polo neck jumpers and scarves. The odd occasion when I haven’t been wearing all those clothes and wore the necklace it seemed a bit ‘in yer face’

I totally get it but think your eyes will adjust rather quickly even with less clothing. It looks beautiful and not in your face at all!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it looks lovely and not flashy at all @RosieR !

Whilst I don’t own a tennis necklace, I wonder whether a shorter length would make it more casual? How long is it at the moment and can you shorten it by taking out (and repurposing) a few diamonds, and adding an extension chain to have it at a longer length too?

Thanks!
The old necklace was 16 inches and flipped (amongst other problems)
The flipping is minimal now that it’s 16.5 inches long.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't live in Northern Europe but it doesn't look too flashy to me. I think it's gorgeous. I have a similar one and wear it with anything and everything (and after trying a couple of failed tactics to stop the flipping, I just let it flip if it wants to). I am not generally a fan of the layering trend so I just wear it alone.

There may be an additional factor here, which is that often, to me anyway, jewelry can seem a bit much at first but then after you get used to wearing a piece, you no longer feel that way or self-conscious wearing it. It's definitely sparkly but imo could also be considered a staple. Where I live, anyway. :)

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope people will chime in. I just acquired a diamond and sapphire tennis necklace and it is 16". I have yet to test out layering it with other necklaces because 1) I don't think they may be long enough, and 2) I don't always like layering because the way the necklaces get all tangled up. 3) imo, less is more! You look beautiful and sexy with just the necklace btw!!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Oh Rosie, I think your necklace is perfect! Not overly showy at all.

But if you feel like you want to tone it down, then how about adding casual layers to it? A "neck mess" can look effortless even when the individual pieces in it are bling-tastic.

I've always though Sarah Jessica Parker had fun neck stacks. And Judi Dench is rock'n in hers.

Here's some random images I pulled that might inspire you...

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 8.10.32 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 8.11.50 PM.png

GettyImages-1346209171.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 8.12.24 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 8.13.10 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 8.14.35 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 8.14.54 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 8.14.16 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 8.13.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 8.13.10 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I'm torn because:
- I think that your tennis necklace is the epitome of class and it's wonderful on its own;
- but I saw a combo
* fancy station chocker+tennis necklace+fancy station necklace *
on a 40 yo woman (she wore classic white shirt, jeans, white sneakers and LV Neverful bag) and I thought it looked fresh and beautiful!
Something like this
3mm17JulietteTennisNecklace_1080x.png

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope people will chime in. I just acquired a diamond and sapphire tennis necklace and it is 16". I have yet to test out layering it with other necklaces because 1) I don't think they may be long enough, and 2) I don't always like layering because the way the necklaces get all tangled up. 3) imo, less is more! You look beautiful and sexy with just the necklace btw!!

Thank you!

Yes! The ‘less is more concept’ I was thinking maybe laying would tone it down for daytime.

Please post some pics of you laying your lovely new necklace. I’d love some inspiration shots :)

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks so much! I’m liking the idea of the tennis with some sort of plain gold. Similar to the tennis and vca hammered gold 5motif combo I wear most days. I saw images of Courtney Cox in her tennis necklace with IMG_5770.png gold and liked the look.
Was thinking of getting a herringbone necklace to pair with, but hear they scratch terribly when paired with other necklaces

Attachments

• IMG_5769.png
    IMG_5769.png
    487.8 KB · Views: 12

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had the same problem. I felt my 12 carat white gold was too much for every day wear. So I purchased a 3.5 carat in yellow gold for a more casual look. I love it! They both have their place IMG_5450.jpeg IMG_5450.jpeg IMG_4070.jpeg IMG_4070.jpeg

Oh my!!! That are both perfect :)
you stack them so effortlessly! Thanks for sharing pictures

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm torn because:
- I think that your tennis necklace is the epitome of class and it's wonderful on its own;
- but I saw a combo
* fancy station chocker+tennis necklace+fancy station necklace *
on a 40 yo woman (she wore classic white shirt, jeans, white sneakers and LV Neverful bag) and I thought it looked fresh and beautiful!
Something like this
3mm17JulietteTennisNecklace_1080x.png

Yes! This!!!
I too am in my 40’s and am trying to go for the effortless, cool girl, ‘Jessica McCormack day diamonds vibe’. I just don’t want to look too serious or pretentious.

I did half have a fantasy of layering with a DBTY style necklace with different sized diamonds and with not equal spacing similar to the necklace in this Boodles advertisement, but thought it probably wouldn’t be a ‘tone down’ and I’d just be adding to the problem :lol: IMG_5881.png

Edited to say I have worn the necklace without layering out for cocktails with the girls and dinner with hubby without any awkwardness!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

Yes! The ‘less is more concept’ I was thinking maybe laying would tone it down for daytime.

Please post some pics of you laying your lovely new necklace. I’d love some inspiration shots :)
I will play around with my current necklaces and see if I can come up with combo that works great together!!

mishka

Rough_Rock
I had the same problem. I felt my 12 carat white gold was too much for every day wear. So I purchased a 3.5 carat in yellow gold for a more casual look. I love it! They both have their place IMG_5450.jpeg IMG_5450.jpeg IMG_4070.jpeg IMG_4070.jpeg

Hi, apologies for the thread highjack. @princessk would you mind sharing where the letter “G” necklace is from?
Currently looking at the Roberto Coin initial necklaces, but can’t see it in person unfortunately. Thanks in advance!

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi, apologies for the thread highjack. @princessk would you mind sharing where the letter “G” necklace is from?
Currently looking at the Roberto Coin initial necklaces, but can’t see it in person unfortunately. Thanks in advance!

Yes I just purchased it in honor of my Golden retriever Gabby . She just passed away. Great service and price from Elizabeth jewellers on Etsy. My friend purchased an A and also was happy with it.

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh my!!! That are both perfect :)
you stack them so effortlessly! Thanks for sharing pictures

Thanks. It’s become an obsession lol

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

is lovely
you just have to get used to it and not be selfconcouse
i know, eaiser said than done

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results