shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you respond to “diamonds are bullshit”

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most everything in life is bull shit but we do it anyways. Let he without bullshit throw the first cowpie.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@bmfang It was so hilarious!

I remember hearing of these tests with mcdonalds etc when I was a teenager. Id suspected they were some form of "test", guess I was right haha

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
It is kind of bullshit that our culture (assuming you're an American) uses diamonds as a gateway to marriage. I think almost all of the male anti-diamond sentiment is a reaction to that. There's a reason you don't see an article about how Blue Topaz is Bullshit. There's no social pressure on a man to spend such a large chunk of his salary to buy one, and the consequence of not buying one is far less than eternal loneliness.

But this isn't something I'd really want to hash out with a friend. He says: "Diamonds are bullshit." I say, "Then don't buy one." Problem solved, onto the next topic.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Yeah, you know all about bullshit."

AV_

Ideal_Rock

stark6935

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Notice that I am not going to ask if you think diamonds are bullshi, lol. I think it’s safe to assume that the people on here love diamonds for one reason or another.

I have a (single male) friend that is constantly going on about how stupid it is to buy diamonds. He likes to share this article:

https://priceonomics.com/post/45768546804/diamonds-are-bullshit

So - how do you respond to “diamonds are bullshit?”

I think that I have been successfully brainwashed, since I love diamonds so much - an engagement is an excellent excuse for such a luxury item, but for me, any reason will do. I have never made the mistake of thinking diamonds are an investment. I just simply love them ... looking at a beautiful diamond makes me feel good ... and I am fascinated by them (history, properties, etc). I think that things are worth what people are willing to pay ... and people are willing to pay a lot for diamonds. I hate that I’m a successful marketing target, but not enough to stop me from a big diamond purchase. So ...I dunno - maybe diamonds are bullshit but I still love them. I have no clever rebuttal, just an admission that I’m a sucker.

What do you think?

A diamond is absolutely unescessary and serves no purpose other than being a symbol.

My girlfriend came from a relationship where her ex literally had 12 motorcycles, a boat, a truck, a car, guns, etc. Every dollar she spends is for her kids. She had an insignificant ring she didnt even wear.

The ring tells many stories, and holds many secrets. When a girl is having a bad day and looks at it does she think about you and smile? Does she hear randomly shes a lucky girl from strangers who see it? Does she know and you know diamonds are BS but the fact you did it anyway because you think deserves everything (even cultural wastes of money)? It is a symbol of love, work, commitment, and many other things only defined by the two people it embodies. Im a student, I dont have a lot of money at this time and I sold my sports car because I wanted her to have this ring more than a stupid car. She didnt want me to sell it because she knew how much I liked it. It isnt just a rock, shes not a poor investment, and she deserves to know she was worth it.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@bmfang It was so hilarious!

I remember hearing of these tests with mcdonalds etc when I was a teenager. Id suspected they were some form of "test", guess I was right haha

@Matilda
I tried to justify it by saying that it was a test for a “high maintenance” gal. In reality (now with hindsight) I was only trying to justify my own stinginess. Thank goodness that by the time I finally asked my (now) wife out on a date, I had learnt my lesson!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the whole existentialist crisis response. “Life has no inherent meaning or value either, what’s your point”.

This statement alarms/offends most people, and Then I walk away :lol:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matilda
I tried to justify it by saying that it was a test for a “high maintenance” gal. In reality (now with hindsight) I was only trying to justify my own stinginess. Thank goodness that by the time I finally asked my (now) wife out on a date, I had learnt my lesson!!!

I don’t mind “stingy” dates when that’s what they can responsibly afford. I only mind it if I know it’s because they’re being stingy as a “test”. Believe me, I am plenty high maintenance, but not about money since I make plenty of that myself. I require a lot more time, effort and energy than handing me a credit card. And I’m not shy about it.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I would probably say I don't care. I like them. And it's not your f'in wallet buying them anyway so why are you even concerned? I'm sure you buy plenty of stuff I think is bullshit too but you don't hear me saying it's stupid.

But that's just me lol. I don't think I need to defend my love of diamonds and coloured stones to anybody generally except maybe my husband but he likes them as much as I do so I don't even really need to defend it to him either xD

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually respond in the line of it is my hard-earned money and I shall spend it as I see fit.

DK :))

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Nice topic to raise rage from all points of view.
Why waist your time on bull.... t. Buy Zircons, they are bright enough for him.
Life is short my friend -waist it on the positive side.
All is B---t, fashion, cars, watches, phones, throw them all and go to Amazon jungles.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@david b
I do not hear of 'Diamonds are BS' often, but 'Diamonds are convention' (BS, polite); which triggers a standard reply: 'Like language.' 'Tradition' would be the better word, but who gets it anymore!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sometimes wonder if the argument would be different if the cultural norm was that men wore diamonds. I think a bit of the “diamonds are bullshit” argument is thinly veiled misogyny because diamonds are something that is almost exclusive bought for/by, worn and enjoyed by women.

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
Foxinsox, that is SUCH an interesting point!!

I think what you're saying is that basically diamonds = feminism. I'd better go and buy some more!! Just doing my part for the sisterhood.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think what you're saying is that basically diamonds = feminism. I'd better go and buy some more!! Just doing my part for the sisterhood.

Good point. I should buy more diamonds too!

Haha seriously. As least my purchase doesn’t lose 50% value the second I own it. Or require thousands a year to maintain. My friend has a Porsche and the amount he spends on maintenance and parts on a yearly basis makes my eyes water.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say - ""Yes! You're quite right - and you must have saved a lot of money! You're paying for dinner."

Seriously, tho, diamonds ARE very common. But high quality diamonds are NOT common at all. And to be honest, I find his position the best ever argument for getting a large, D colored, flawless diamond; if he wants something that's definitely rare and beautiful, he'll need to go for the super-high stats!

He'd better be careful, or his own argument will come back to bite him in the wallet.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sometimes wonder if the argument would be different if the cultural norm was that men wore diamonds. I think a bit of the “diamonds are bullshit” argument is thinly veiled misogyny because diamonds are something that is almost exclusive bought for/by, worn and enjoyed by women.

As a male of the species, I better do my bit for equality and hurry up and get that 2ct Octavia or Yoram Asscher ;))

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Okay, who remembers the Firesign Theatre from the '60s? They started out on radio in LA and later released a number of comedy albums. Everytime this kind of topic comes up all I want to say is...

Mrs. Presky: "Why. . why . . this is a bag of shit!"
Announcer: "But it's really GREAT shit, Mrs. Presky."

-- Firesign Theatre, from their 3rd recording: Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A diamond is absolutely unescessary and serves no purpose other than being a symbol.

My girlfriend came from a relationship where her ex literally had 12 motorcycles, a boat, a truck, a car, guns, etc. Every dollar she spends is for her kids. She had an insignificant ring she didnt even wear.

The ring tells many stories, and holds many secrets. When a girl is having a bad day and looks at it does she think about you and smile? Does she hear randomly shes a lucky girl from strangers who see it? Does she know and you know diamonds are BS but the fact you did it anyway because you think deserves everything (even cultural wastes of money)? It is a symbol of love, work, commitment, and many other things only defined by the two people it embodies. Im a student, I dont have a lot of money at this time and I sold my sports car because I wanted her to have this ring more than a stupid car. She didnt want me to sell it because she knew how much I liked it. It isnt just a rock, shes not a poor investment, and she deserves to know she was worth it.

Good man!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cars and diamonds both come and go, but generosity is never out of style, @stark6935. And great husbands are particularly thin on the ground. Well done you, for being worth more than any diamond ever could.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its the expected to buy part that bugs a lot of guys and it does feed the dislike of diamonds.
Most guys would never buy a diamond if it was not expected of them to do so.
That builds resentment for diamonds.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@bmfang I’m glad you did. An exam isn’t exactly romantic haha! I wonder how the guy would feel if his lover also tested him... not a recipe for a healthy relationship!!:lol:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I get asked this quite often. The answer is easy. Diamonds are unnecessary. That’s a poor definition of bullshit since it applies to nearly everything you buy but there is absolutely no obligation to do this if you don't want.

Mostly I think they're baiting me. They know I'm a fan of diamonds, they know I work in the industry, and they are surprised to hear me basically agree with them. If you don't want a diamond, don't buy one. It'll be fine, although it might be good to make sure your fiancee is on board with this. She may want one. You'll have more money left to buy what you (and she/he) actually want. That's probably unnecessary too, but that's what money is for. Spend it how you like.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I read the article with growing dismay at how lazy his writing was and how many factual errors it contained. He parrots much information that is out of date and simply wrong. I was going to catalog some of them and post the correct information, but frankly, I have much too much to do today.

I am also loving the commentary here, so off I go to more important issues, content that the people who matter, people who like/love sparkly diamonds and gems, already know their purchases and desires make them happy.

Wink

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I read the article with growing dismay at how lazy his writing was and how many factual errors it contained. He parrots much information that is out of date and simply wrong. I was going to catalog some of them and post the correct information, but frankly, I have much too much to do today.

I am also loving the commentary here, so off I go to more important issues, content that the people who matter, people who like/love sparkly diamonds and gems, already know their purchases and desires make them happy.

Wink
That is why I laugh and change the subject.
To explain the real complexities of the diamond market would take a long time and they would not change their opinion anyway.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results