carat
color
clarity

How do you really feel about bezels?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is POH?

I am hunting and can’t find her ring anywhere! would you mind linking to it?

of course! It means princess of hearts (it's basically an H&A radiant (square) and it's glorious. I have her ring bookmarked lol

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
of course! It means princess of hearts (it's basically an H&A radiant (square) and it's glorious. I have her ring bookmarked lol

This is also one of my favourite rings on PS. Also Annette Tillander - more now to add to the wishlist!!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my favorite bezels is the one DK did for @rainydaze with her POH stone. I have adored it since I saw it, and plan to use it as inspo for when I get my own bezel setting. The flower engraving on the sides is freaking TDF!

@lovedogs That’s also my favorite..I REALLY wanted to copy that but I restrained myself. It’s gorgeous!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Thank you so much!!!! It’s gorgeous :love:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
That's very helpful to know @lulu_ma . Do you think the double prongs are more protective? I love the look so that would be a bonus.

This thread is very useful. I have realised I like the overall look of bezel jewellery (including rings), but when I'm wanting all the focus on the centre stone (and to see as much of it as possible), a prong set solitaire may do this better.

Yes, I absolutely recommend double claw prongs for the corners of an emerald cut. I don't worry about the corners of my stone any more and my reset is a higher profile than my original e-ring setting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs That’s also my favorite..I REALLY wanted to copy that but I restrained myself. It’s gorgeous!

I have a plan to copy the side engraving but do a very different shank. So itll be more of an 'inspired by', and hopefully doesn't rub anyone the wrong way :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would bezel an old cut stone and prong set a MB.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a plan to copy the side engraving but do a very different shank. So itll be more of an 'inspired by', and hopefully doesn't rub anyone the wrong way :)

I really wanted that flower.. :lol:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @lovedogs @Tartansparkles and @MamaBee! Your comments about my ring have made my day and then some! I have no qualms whatsoever if any of you wish to copy it, or use it as inspiration. I have said it before elsewhere on PS, but I'll say it again - it is such a wearable ring and hits all the right notes. It's so pretty and flattering, it's got some heft to it which I love, and the rose gold combined with the engraving add just the right je ne sais quois that looks & feels so special and beautiful.

As to the topic of this thread, I have two rings with full bezels and a three-stone with half-bezels. My original ering (with a princess cut) had prongs. The bezels are so much easier to wear. I am still considering a reset of my OEC from a full-bezel to prongs because I really want to see if it brings the stone out even more, but I suspect I will not tolerate the prongs well. The full-bezel rings give me worry-free wear which I love, whereas the half-bezels do allow for more kapow performance (the full bezels don't allow for that fire and sparkle that shoots off of the girdles, whereas I get to enjoy that with the half-bezels).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @lovedogs @Tartansparkles and @MamaBee! Your comments about my ring have made my day and then some! I have no qualms whatsoever if any of you wish to copy it, or use it as inspiration. I have said it before elsewhere on PS, but I'll say it again - it is such a wearable ring and hits all the right notes. It's so pretty and flattering, it's got some heft to it which I love, and the rose gold combined with the engraving add just the right je ne sais quois that looks & feels so special and beautiful.

As to the topic of this thread, I have two rings with full bezels and a three-stone with half-bezels. My original ering (with a princess cut) had prongs. The bezels are so much easier to wear. I am still considering a reset of my OEC from a full-bezel to prongs because I really want to see if it brings the stone out even more, but I suspect I will not tolerate the prongs well. The full-bezel rings give me worry-free wear which I love, whereas the half-bezels do allow for more kapow performance (the full bezels don't allow for that fire and sparkle that shoots off of the girdles, whereas I get to enjoy that with the half-bezels).

Oh yay, I was worried you might be offended at my plan to use yours as inspiration. Do you think the size of the center stone is good? I'm making myself insane trying to decide between a .43 and .53 CBI.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yay, I was worried you might be offended at my plan to use yours as inspiration. Do you think the size of the center stone is good? I'm making myself insane trying to decide between a .43 and .53 CBI.

Oh not at all! It makes me happy. =)2

I also have a .46 diamond (AVR, D/IF) that is prong set in a VanCraeynest setting. I think the details of the VanC setting give a little more visual 'beef' to the .46, whereas the POH ring is a .76 which I think is big enough to hold its own in the simpler setting. All that to say, I think the .53 might be better if you are going for a design like my POH ring.

I think that part of why the POH ring works so well is the subtle widening of the shank as it meets the basket. The .76 (I forget the mm dimensions, that would be more helpful here) allows for that. I'm not sure if my .46 would, or if it does it might still require a more petite shank overall. I like my shanks to be 2mm wide AND thick at the bottom, and if I recall that's what I did with the POH. Another rambling thought here... the shank of the .46 increases in width towards the basket because there are shields and flowers. The diamond blends because it ends up being about the same width, whereas on the POH ring the diamond stands out because it's still larger than the widest part of the shank. Does that make sense?

What size finger will it be worn on? My POH is a 7.5 (or maybe 7.25) so if your finger is a lot smaller, the .53 will achieve the look you are after even moreso.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh not at all! It makes me happy. =)2

I also have a .46 diamond (AVR, D/IF) that is prong set in a VanCraeynest setting. I think the details of the VanC setting give a little more visual 'beef' to the .46, whereas the POH ring is a .76 which I think is big enough to hold its own in the simpler setting. All that to say, I think the .53 might be better if you are going for a design like my POH ring.

I think that part of why the POH ring works so well is the subtle widening of the shank as it meets the basket. The .76 (I forget the mm dimensions, that would be more helpful here) allows for that. I'm not sure if my .46 would, or if it does it might still require a more petite shank overall. I like my shanks to be 2mm wide AND thick at the bottom, and if I recall that's what I did with the POH. Another rambling thought here... the shank of the .46 increases in width towards the basket because there are shields and flowers. The diamond blends because it ends up being about the same width, whereas on the POH ring the diamond stands out because it's still larger than the widest part of the shank. Does that make sense?

What size finger will it be worn on? My POH is a 7.5 (or maybe 7.25) so if your finger is a lot smaller, the .53 will achieve the look you are after even moreso.

You are so helpful, thank you! I definitely stalked your thread, and it looks like yours is 5.13 x 5.14mm.

I am a size 6.5-7 (7 if stacking). So my size is close to yous!

The .53 is 5.18 x 5.22, and the .43 is 4.87 x 4.88.

Amusing you mention VC, because my plan is essentially a weirdo merge between your bezel with engraving and the flowers on the side of many VC designs (DK has a few bands with similarly designed flowers). I basically hope it's a mash up of VC and yours :)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so helpful, thank you! I definitely stalked your thread, and it looks like yours is 5.13 x 5.14mm.

I am a size 6.5-7 (7 if stacking). So my size is close to yous!

The .53 is 5.18 x 5.22, and the .43 is 4.87 x 4.88.

Amusing you mention VC, because my plan is essentially a weirdo merge between your bezel with engraving and the flowers on the side of many VC designs (DK has a few bands with similarly designed flowers). I basically hope it's a mash up of VC and yours :)

Oo, the .53 would be perfect then!

Interestingly enough, I had a ring made like the one you are describing (I think)! I wanted the same shank as my POH, with said flowers on the side. It has a spinel in a bezel. I have to admit, I never wear it. It just didn't translate the way I had hoped. The flowers - to me - are not... pretty? I didn't expect VC quality flowers both because it is a different type of manufacture and because it's made by a different jeweler. However, they still didn't translate in an aesthetically pleasing way for this ring. Here are some pictures so you can judge for yourself. (All this in sharp contrast to the engraved flowers on the sides of my POH ring which are to-die-for!)

If you would like more, or better, pictures just let me know! I took these just now, quickly, so I could show you but the lighting and detail isn't great.

1628041570908.png

1628041585299.png

1628041596871.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oo, the .53 would be perfect then!

Interestingly enough, I had a ring made like the one you are describing (I think)! I wanted the same shank as my POH, with said flowers on the side. It has a spinel in a bezel. I have to admit, I never wear it. It just didn't translate the way I had hoped. The flowers - to me - are not... pretty? I didn't expect VC quality flowers both because it is a different type of manufacture and because it's made by a different jeweler. However, they still didn't translate in an aesthetically pleasing way for this ring. Here are some pictures so you can judge for yourself. (All this in sharp contrast to the engraved flowers on the sides of my POH ring which are to-die-for!)

If you would like more, or better, pictures just let me know! I took these just now, quickly, so I could show you but the lighting and detail isn't great.

1628041570908.png

1628041585299.png

1628041596871.png

That's super helpful, thanks!

This was my bad photoshop attempt from your ring + a shank from a different DK ring. This is what I would ask for, essentially, but potentially with a thicker bezel than yours (likely something more like the 2nd pic, except with sharper corners). bezel-1.png

I would want a bit of metal around the stone so that the square/octogon shape doesn't look out of place. Like the one below except instead of a cushion shape it would be the shape of yours.

bezel-2.png

I think I feel hopeful because I know DK can do this given that all of the rings I'm using for inspiration are from him.

Given that I want a wider metal bezel, do you think the .53 is still the best choice? Sorry to thread jack so badly @MillieLou !

EDIT. wow the photoshop pics are super pixilated! But it's the shank from this DK ring: https://www.instagram.com/p/CP9Ott_hihg/

bezel on a round ring with a cushion shape (head) from this ring: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJhAcvJhb-d/

And of course engraving from your gorgeous ring: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRZvM_4AvsX/

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say so (that the .53 is the best choice). I think that size would allow better for the flower detail at the sides. Love your mockups... this is going to be an amazing ring!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That's super helpful, thanks!

This was my bad photoshop attempt from your ring + a shank from a different DK ring. This is what I would ask for, essentially, but potentially with a thicker bezel than yours (likely something more like the 2nd pic, except with sharper corners). bezel-1.png

I would want a bit of metal around the stone so that the square/octogon shape doesn't look out of place. Like the one below except instead of a cushion shape it would be the shape of yours.

bezel-2.png

I think I feel hopeful because I know DK can do this given that all of the rings I'm using for inspiration are from him.

Given that I want a wider metal bezel, do you think the .53 is still the best choice? Sorry to thread jack so badly @MillieLou !

EDIT. wow the photoshop pics are super pixilated! But it's the shank from this DK ring: https://www.instagram.com/p/CP9Ott_hihg/

bezel on a round ring with a cushion shape (head) from this ring: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJhAcvJhb-d/

And of course engraving from your gorgeous ring: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRZvM_4AvsX/

This is going to be awesome!!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to see this!! I love bezels and you just can’t go wrong with a CBI and DK combo!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results