shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you feel about "special occasion" jewelry?

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I've been eyeing a gorgeous vintage cluster ring, but the total size is pretty large on the finger. Even though I love the style I find myself thinking... "I love this, but where would I actually WEAR it?" With COVID it's not like I have any nights out on the horizon, and I definitely couldn't wear something like that to work... I guess I could wear it around the house and feel like a princess :lol:

So what do you all do with jewelry purchases? Do you only purchase items that you think you could actually wear on an every day basis? Do you have "special occasion" items, and if so, what percentage of your jewelry falls in that category? What makes something "special occasion" to you?

I realized that everything I currently own falls into the more practical/everyday category, so looking for things that are "special occasion" only makes me feel more conflicted, like I wouldn't get good use out of it. Is "price per wear" the best policy for you?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe we should enjoy everything we have and that each day is a "special" occasion because we are here. I know not everyone shares that view but this is my perspective only. Life is short and challenging and each day is a gift. I am not saving any bling for a special occasion as for me each day is special.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 3.07.06 PM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been eyeing a gorgeous vintage cluster ring, but the total size is pretty large on the finger. Even though I love the style I find myself thinking... "I love this, but where would I actually WEAR it?" With COVID it's not like I have any nights out on the horizon, and I definitely couldn't wear something like that to work... I guess I could wear it around the house and feel like a princess :lol:

So what do you all do with jewelry purchases? Do you only purchase items that you think you could actually wear on an every day basis? Do you have "special occasion" items, and if so, what percentage of your jewelry falls in that category? What makes something "special occasion" to you?

I realized that everything I currently own falls into the more practical/everyday category, so looking for things that are "special occasion" only makes me feel more conflicted, like I wouldn't get good use out of it. Is "price per wear" the best policy for you?

If you love it and will wear it and can afford it get it. And wear the heck out of it. You can wear it in your PJs! Whatever brings you pleasure and joy. My sweet and dear friend @bling_dream19 we need your perspective here. PJs and bling is a beautiful mix. :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I believe we should enjoy everything we have and that each day is a "special" occasion because we are here. I know not everyone shares that view but this is my perspective only. Life is short and challenging and each day is a gift. I am not saving any bling for a special occasion as for me each day is special.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 3.07.06 PM.png

Well said Missy
use everything and wear everything and enjoy everything you love

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I personally am very much a cost-per-wear, wear-everyday person, and wouldn't buy something that I couldn't wear at least a few times a month. So for me, as a person with a very casual lifestyle (work in scrubs, rest of the time in jeans, put on a dress once in a blue moon), I would not buy special occasion jewellery. I would rather put that money into nicer everyday items.

There's no right or wrong though. Some people value owning nice things without necessarily needing to use them all the time.

Why couldn't you wear it to work? Is it because it's not allowed, or do you just feel it would be OTT? If the latter, I think we need pics to advise you appropriately ;-)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a number of pieces that are "special occasion wear". I rarely wear them out... But I've found that that doesn't mean I rarely enjoy them!! I take them out of their boxes, and I play with them, and I take photos of them, and I wear them around the house, and they make me happy every time I do :love:

If this ring will make you feel like a princess when you look at it, when you play with it, when you take photos of it, when you wear it around the house - for me that's an easy "yes!" :bigsmile:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do try and take price/cost per use/wear into consideration when I plan to buy something. However, the heart usually over-rules the head! :lol-2:

Like clothes and accessories such as shoes and handbags, I have a bling wardrobe too.

The big guns for dressier occasions are not worn as often as those for casual/daily wear as dressier/formal occasions are far and between nowadays even before Covid-19.

However, like formal clothes and accessories, I need to have some nicer blings to hand, in case I get to dress up for the occasions.

I like to take them out and admire them from time to time as it makes me feel good.

3 of my diamond bracelets can be worn casually on their own or stacked up for dressier events.

My 1.19ct EC that I wear as one of 2 RHRs (the other being a 0.47ct EC that I wear casually) comes out whenever it can.

The bigger "cocktail" rings do come out from time to time, some of them are really too fancy except for the more formal events. Hopefully I shall have the chances to go to nice places and events in the not too distant future.

I do try and design pieces so that they are not too fancy/flashy, and believe I have largely achieved that.

In early 2019, I sold my 1in/25mm (without the bail) paved diamond puffed heart pendant with about 3cttw of diamonds when I needed the money. I seldom wear it as it was just too big and too blingy. Whoever bought it bought a real bargain. I miss it dearly, and am having a smaller one made to replace it eventually, most likely to be in Moissy.

Go with what one's heart desires if one is able to do so would be my motto.

Personal opinion and all that.

DK :))

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, practicality does matter. I do have and wear some large rings, and I am okay with having a group of right-hand rings, each of which gives me pleasure and each of which receives some wear each year ... however, I have enough treasured right-hand rings that something new would have to be pretty darn special to muscle in on that already-established group and take "wear opportunity" away from those favorites, if you know what I mean. As a collector, though, I still have a couple more ring projects to complete in the next year or two, with stones I already own, and some of those rings will be large lol.

So, I guess I am suggesting you think about your current wear patterns ... sure, when we're home we may not wear jewelry, and for certain errands or activities outside the home a large ring may not be your first pick ... but do you currently own and love any large rings? Would this new large cluster ring be a lovely addition or just another variation on cluster ring(s) you may already own?

I will say, the hardest thing for me to remember is that a piece of jewelry or a diamond or gemstone can be so beautiful, and even "so me" in terms of design/stones, but I can appreciate it without having to own it ... if I am actively thinking "where/when could I wear it?," for me I've learned that it's not something I need to add to my collection. Sometimes it takes buying it and seeing it, and then returning it. Sometimes I've bought it, and loved it, and kept it, and then later tried to sell it.

My rule of thumb, for me, has become: "if you're not sure, don't buy it."

YMMV.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I personally am very much a cost-per-wear, wear-everyday person, and wouldn't buy something that I couldn't wear at least a few times a month. So for me, as a person with a very casual lifestyle (work in scrubs, rest of the time in jeans, put on a dress once in a blue moon), I would not buy special occasion jewellery. I would rather put that money into nicer everyday items.

There's no right or wrong though. Some people value owning nice things without necessarily needing to use them all the time.

Why couldn't you wear it to work? Is it because it's not allowed, or do you just feel it would be OTT? If the latter, I think we need pics to advise you appropriately ;-)

OTT! With healthcare giant rings don't work well with gloves (as I'm sure you know!)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTT! With healthcare giant rings don't work well with gloves (as I'm sure you know!)

I know what you mean as I used to work in pharmaceutical and food manufacturing facilities where jewellery and make up are not allowed due to risk of cross contamination etc...

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just saw so.e earings on a pearl thread
the way the member had them arranged on a jersey to show them to us they looked like the most lovelly brooch
I want them
To make into a brooch
yet i know earings would get more use ......

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a “save it for an occasion” person. What if my next big occasion is my funeral? Hope not, but the point is life is too short.

At this point my biggest outing is grocery shopping, that’s once a week and I always have my favorite pieces on. I also just wear my favorite rings at home when watching tv, better looking at them than commercials!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on how much you love the vintage ring you are eyeing. If you only wear it once in awhile but it gives you a good feeling when you look at it or when you think about wearing it then it seems like a worthy purchase.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. So. If I think a piece is special occasion only, I am not tempted unless it is love at first sight and it is such a good deal that my cost per wear could be averaged out by years to a reasonable amount. I have no regrets about The very few pieces that I only wear on special occasions. When I do wear them, they are well worth it! That said, I paid a ver small sum for them and did not sacrifice everyday bling goals for them. I’ll post a pic. Of what I consider special occasion cocktail ring, pendant and bracelet. Something about the size and style that I can only pull off when I’m at a special event 373641AD-7A92-4C8B-B846-54F8B69F3DB3.jpeg

Attachments

• AD82EEA2-5F8C-4EFC-B879-0261F0BFC648.jpeg
    AD82EEA2-5F8C-4EFC-B879-0261F0BFC648.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 33A9B7B0-3C4B-4C5E-94FF-2BC018446F43.jpeg
    33A9B7B0-3C4B-4C5E-94FF-2BC018446F43.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 13

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See, I personally would wear everything @nala posted for a trip to Shoprite ;-)

@FL_runner, if you can share a pic of the cluster, I’d love to see it, only if it’s safe to do so, I wouldn’t want someone to snipe it on you!

I’m resetting a diamond into a ring that will be fairly large for my standards but I will absolutely wear it every chance. This is a comfort level thing though so only you know what you are comfortable with and if it’s worth it or not. Here is the ring, the diamond is replacing the opal, should have it back the end of this month:

781BFEDC-848E-4779-BA9E-B3F9803AE71B.jpeg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I have a few pieces that are for special occasions rather than everyday, just as I have dresses and shoes that are for special occasions rather than everyday. However, I very rarely go anywhere more formal than a mid-priced or nice restaurant or the equivalents, so I'm considering those "special occasions" here. Aside from pandemics, I go out about 2-4 times a month. I'd probably get it if:

(1) I had the money to easily spend.

(2) I really, really liked it.

(3) I didn't already have similar rings.

(4) I'd wear it at least once a month (post-Covid).

And if I didn't go out to dinner or somewhere else that it would fit with at least once a month, then I'd get it as a reminder to! :)

Last edited:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Ok. So. If I think a piece is special occasion only, I am not tempted unless it is love at first sight and it is such a good deal that my cost per wear could be averaged out by years to a reasonable amount. I have no regrets about The very few pieces that I only wear on special occasions. When I do wear them, they are well worth it! That said, I paid a ver small sum for them and did not sacrifice everyday bling goals for them. I’ll post a pic. Of what I consider special occasion cocktail ring, pendant and bracelet. Something about the size and style that I can only pull off when I’m at a special event 373641AD-7A92-4C8B-B846-54F8B69F3DB3.jpeg

Breathtaking! The sapphire is especially phenomenal, thank you for sharing!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
These are all good questions and insights from everyone!

In this particular case I don’t have anything similar, the asking price was significantly better than I expected and I don’t have any everyday jewelry I’m saving for. And it was a jaw dropper for me when I saw it :lol-2: I think it would be my “fancy ring” and then I would stop buying things for while!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@FL_runner, if you can share a pic of the cluster, I’d love to see it, only if it’s safe to do so, I wouldn’t want someone to snipe it on you!

I’m resetting a diamond into a ring that will be fairly large for my standards but I will absolutely wear it every chance. This is a comfort level thing though so only you know what you are comfortable with and if it’s worth it or not. Here is the ring, the diamond is replacing the opal, should have it back the end of this month:

I cant wait to see the finished ring! Maybe you could have the opal set into a sweet little pendant.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some big clustery rings that I wear once in a while.
I think I will wear them around the house, starting now!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I have some big clustery rings that I wear once in a while.
I think I will wear them around the house, starting now!

I think that sounds good! I put on my favorite rings to motivate me to do things like fold laundry so I have something pretty to look at.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that sounds good! I put on my favorite rings to motivate me to do things like fold laundry so I have something pretty to look at.

Of course! Then you could say that you gave them some love!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I only buy pieces that I wear every day with the exception of a few bracelets that I alternate. I don’t want to buy expensive jewelry to keep in a box. That is my take but obviously others have other feelings and opinions about it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Technically as all the bling i have brought myself has come from the mall jewler

Sigh

everything is special occasion as they are not the right quality for everday wear

Mind you i have pearls
pearls love being warn every day !

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock

Yada, I love that setting and the diamond will look amazing! I agree that you should think about resetting the opal in a pendant!

Here’s a pic- It’s vintage but not antique, and has modern cut stones set in platinum. Not the best photos but the geometric design and use of mixed shapes really spoke to me. Tempted to trial it out to see it in person, there’s a good return policy. I feel like it’s larger than what I usually wear but won’t be a super-honker.

10EEF3F6-B780-47C8-9652-CE2798B8917F.jpeg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is amazing @FL_runner! I definitely see the appeal and hey if there is a solid return policy then no harm in at least trying ;-)

Personally I don’t see anything wrong with special occasion Jewelry as long as I’ll actually wear it. So, no buying pieces that will sit in a safe for the rest of my life, but absolutely okay to buy a piece I only wear when attending a wedding or something (I usually do attend a few a year). I’m young enough that I do prioritise everyday stuff for now so that I can build up a good collection, but I do plan to pivot to buying non-everyday pieces as well once I’m happy with my everyday collection. The non-everyday pieces will of course involve more saving and waiting however, but it is what it is.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I have some because I'm still usually expected to attend some events when no pandemic for my husband. But for me my special jewellery is usually my triple cultured pearl strand from my wedding day and my engagement ring since it's a mined diamond in a mined diamond halo. Super sparkly lol. I wear them for nice dates as well. I consider that a special occasion too. It doesn't all need to be saved for weddings, funerals, and formal parties :D

If I'm not wearing my pearls though I have a huge green resin pendant in plated gold that I love too. Poor thing needs a redip but I love it so much. It's so beautiful. I had to have it even though I pretty much turn my nose up at plated stuff because of my penchant for getting a rash from non platinum. But I fell in love and wear it on date nights or events as well on my grandmother's gold necklace.

So yeah I'm for some nicer jewellery for special stuff!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results