shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you deep clean a new purchase?

dcnl06

Rough_Rock
Premium
I purchased 3 vintage items over the weekend. Some are stoneless bands and the others have diamonds.

1. 18kt white gold band
2. 14k yellow gold orange blossom band
3. 4 stone diamond band in 14k white gold
4. (Oops!! It was 4 purchases ‍:lol:)
9 stone diamond band stacking ring (this one appears to need the deepest cleaning)

How do you clean your newly acquired antique/vintage purchases including plain bands and bands with diamonds-

Especially if you don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Be sure to use Dawn foaming liquid! I tried it per the recommendations of other PSers and it definitely cleans better than regular Dawn. I pour some of the Dawn foaming liquid in with some hot water, mix it up, and soak my diamond rings for a while, then brush with a clean toothbrush (it was a new toothbrush that I only use on diamonds). Be sure to close the sink drain too, just in case!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I microwave a bowl of water for four minutes (be careful not to burn yourself removing it). Take it out and squirt some Dawn in there and swirl it around. Gently place your rings in and cover and let it sit for a while. Then take them out give a scrub with a soft toothbrush (diamonds and harder stones only not pearls or softer stones) rinse and dry with a lint free cloth.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To clean the gold you probably want to buy a silver polishing cloth.
it removes any tarnish, and ok with diamonds.
but yes, soak your diamond set rings overnight in a soapy solution and use a toothbrush to get in underneath, then rinse and dry.
always have the sink plug in!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If it's just gold or platinum, plain or with diamonds, I soak overnight in a little bowl with a mix of water and ammonia, then rinse and repeat if necessary.

If it has any other stones I would probably just use dish soap and water as everybody's been recommending (though I do sometimes use ammonia on sapphires, spinels, and chrysoberyl).

If it has turquoise or organic materials like coral, pearls, I might just wipe with a damp cloth, depending on how dirty it is.

And if the metal is tarnished, a silver cloth will clean it.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Use a hairdryer to dry stones/diamonds and they'll shine brilliantly!

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I boil water in my electric kettle then pour it into a cup , squirt some Dawn and soak the rings from 5 minutes to 30 minutes depending on the delicacy & dirt of the jewelry . clean with a soft tooth brush then rinse with water .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results