shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you decide which project to go ahead with?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
When you have a couple of stones and ideas to go with them, but you only have one "pile" of money, how do you decide which project to begin?

Is it based on which stone is the most valuable? Which setting is the most costly?

It seems as if when I have money, it burns a hole in my account and I must commit it to something right away or risk spending it here or there on little sparklies that catch my eye. I'm wondering how others go about their decision making. :confused:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I pick the one I look forward to wearing the most. It all starts with a stone that really makes my heart sing.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in the same position, chose the one I was looking forward to wearing the most.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I do the easy ones first; the ones where I only have one idea about the setting. The stones with multiple setting ideas pinging around my head, I'll sit on those until I've made up my mind.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1315085022|3009248 said:
I pick the one I look forward to wearing the most. It all starts with a stone that really makes my heart sing.

Me too! The problem is that I have too many that make my heart sing. :oops:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me it's ALL about the stone.
The perfect setting just gets out of the way and isn't even noticed.

A setting just holds the stone, and is no more glamorous than a pair of tweezers.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I also pick the project that I am looking the most forward to wearing. For me, settings can enhance certain qualities in a stone, especially with colored stones (e.g. YG vs. WG can have a big effect on the tone).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't. And then two months later, I am sitting there, staring at a bank account that is strangely full of money, and I still don't know what to do with it. :sick:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I usually decide based on several things:
- cost of the setting
-inspiration/ excitment of this piece over others
-cost of gold :nono:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I have four projects rolling around in my head and $$ for only one. ;(

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
1) What I want to wear

BUT ALSO

2) What I might as well get before prices keep soaring. :rolleyes:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one where I am surest of the design AND the one that I know I'll wear more often.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I've been getting all distracted with dreams. All your perspectives are good ones! I especially connect with Chrono's... sureness of design, and knowlege of what I'll wear more. I get so caught up in imagining what something will look like if.... Or imagining designs for a stone I have not even received! I guess I ought to go ahead with a not necessarily flashy project that I've been wanting to complete for a couple of years.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I choose to set the stones that I think my friends will grab my hand and go "OMG let me see that!" When I do that I find that I too think the stone is terrific and I am glad I set it. If in doubt....wait to mount. lol

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way of knowing... totally random. Moreover, I want to set certain stones and end up setting other ones... Now I have to do something with my favorite Mahenge but have no idea...

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have several stones that need setting. I try to have only one project going at a time, both to spread the cost, as well as the fun.

The next one to be done will be the one where I have both the money, and the surest idea of what I want for the setting. A couple of my stones will get nice designer settings, so I need to save up for those. If I decide to go with a premade sterling setting, the project can get done faster. I guess the next project will get done when I make up my mind. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results