shape
carat
color
clarity

How do they do it?!? --on eBay, I mean.

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by jontompsen, Jul 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. jontompsen
    Rough_Rock

by jontompsen » Jul 11, 2001
    I want to sell diamond jewelry on eBay (it seems profitable), but I have no idea where to start. I'm looking to start a small business from home to help out.Can any one help by giving me a clue on HOW this person is doing it: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1614020840 I know of one national line of stores (jewelryexchange.com) that guarantees that their jewelry can be appraised for double their sale prace up to $3000. They sell 1.5 ct diamond studs for $599... think those would go well on online auctions?Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Jon Tompsen

2. StevL
    Brilliant_Rock
    Trade

by StevL » Jul 11, 2001
    You just have to love this [​IMG]"These round cut brilliant diamonds are I2 clarity and G-H color. They have the sparkle and brilliance of VS1 diamonds."------------------
    StevL
    www.demsjewelers.com
    www.eightstar.com

3. jontompsen
    Rough_Rock

Thank you for replying!!Yes, I do know "how" to sell on eBay (I have 21 feedback rating there), I guess I should have refined my questions a little more.1. Are appraisals generally inflated that much? What appraisors should I look out for? EGL? Is "UGS" (Universal Gemological Services... the appraisor of the diamonds in that auction) reliable?2. My first post was trying to get a feel for the market. I'm looking for tips on where to buy good diamonds that I could resell on eBay.3. Do I need to be registered with any diamond associations or the government if I decided to sell a diamond or two per week? What are regulations on selling diamonds?All your posts are greatly appreciated!
    Jon Tompsen
    [email protected]

4. pricescope
    Ideal_Rock

by pricescope » Jul 11, 2001
    Yeah, right [​IMG]What amazed me is that probably there are people who will really believe it.

5. pricescope
    Ideal_Rock

Hi Jon,Did you try to follow this link for the new sellers:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/n-selling.html ?I checked the bid you're referring above. Well the appraisals shown are inflated enormously. For example, one can get 0.7 H-I2 for $800 in the internet, while the appraisal gives you $2,430!!!Current bid is already over $1,500 with almost 2 days left. So the winner most probably won't get any extraordinary deal.

6. jontompsen
    Rough_Rock

1. Are appraisals generally inflated that much? What appraisors should I look out for? EGL? Is "UGS" (Universal Gemological Services... the appraisor of the diamonds in that auction) reliable?2. My first post was trying to get a feel for the market. I'm looking for tips on where to buy good diamonds that I could resell on eBay.3. Do I need to be registered with any diamond associations or the government if I decided to sell a diamond or two per week? What are regulations on selling diamonds?All your posts are greatly appreciated!
    Jon Tompsen
    [email protected]

7. pricescope
    Ideal_Rock

Jon,
    It happens rather often. If you want accurate appraisals contact David Atlas, AGA, www.gemappraisers.com or check our list of independent appraisers: www.pricescope.com/appr_list.asp .
    I'm not able to answer these questions competently enough. If you are in the trade you can check trade related websites like www.diamonds.net and www.diamondfloor.com .

8. jontompsen
    Rough_Rock

9. pricescope
    Ideal_Rock

by pricescope » Aug 1, 2001
    Hi Jon,Don't mention it [​IMG] Any progress with your research?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.