shape
carat
color
clarity

How do the experts of PS feel about this ruby? More importantly, vet this vendor?

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Definiry dont buy that "ruby". It will likely look dark and dead in real life. I would much prefer a small but bright stone to a large one without much life

Thank you for the advice! Yes, I would prefer the same. Back to bargain hunting we go! :D

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
That isn’t a ruby it’s a pink sapphire. In some cultures that colour might be referred to as a ruby but most buyers expect red.
buying off Instagram is risky in my opinion. Unlike eBay and Etsy there is no way of checking the number of happy prior purchasers and their comments. Plus eBay and Etsy offer a dispute resolution facility if nothing is received or the gem is not as expected.
A bright pink sapphire with good sparkle and over 2 carats will cost a lot more than $200 unfortunately.
I bought this sapphire from an Etsy seller called LuckyStarGem. It was $100 US and is just on 2 carats. It’s natural, it’s also included but I bought it for it’s unusual colour. They have a few other nice gems for the price. just check the videos, the photos are somewhat over bright.
B5AB3550-4CE7-412D-ACE6-191B173B5E49.jpeg

I actually love these milky, opalescent sapphires! (Opalescent—I learned that term here! haha) I know it's not everyone's cup of tea (they are "inclusions", after all lol), but I think they're absolutely gorgeous. I'm also on the hunt for a pretty one like this! :kiss2:

I will take your advice then and look into Etsy a bit more. =)2 I'm sure there will be something to be had at my budget, just have to keep looking! I'm not really searching for a big stone. I have small fingers and prefer daintier jewellery so luckily something like 1.5 ct is the biggest I'll go (if I could ever afford it, whatever it is, you know? haha!)

Thank you again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results