shape
carat
color
clarity

How do Lab vs Earth mined Diamonds retain value- or trade up?

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Neither retain value well. Some people think buying "earth grown" diamonds is a good investment and they are very wrong.

Couldn't agree more. Always sell EM diamonds at a significant loss and do not see that holding on to them "over time" would have increased their value. Haven't seen any evidence of that either.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Couldn't agree more. Always sell EM diamonds at a significant loss and do not see that holding on to them "over time" would have increased their value. Haven't seen any evidence of that either.

The biggest factors will be larger carat weights and/or specific fancy colors.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The biggest factors will be larger carat weights and/or specific fancy colors.

This really sums up my feelings.
Although trustworthy LG dealers I know are selling larger stones, that seems one area where I could envision instability.
I haven’t felt comfortable investing in larger LG diamonds for this reason.
Stones smaller than about 3cts seem to have found a bottom. Mind you, I’ve only been in the field for less than a year, but prices seem sustainable.
I do know that if one considers a longer timeline, LGs have come down in price.

Fancy colors is an entirely different and interesting discussion.
For one thing , unlike colorless, the prices of colored lab diamonds aren’t based on Natural Fancy Colored Diamonds.
And the technology is far less transparent.
I have felt comfortable investing in Pink and Blue lab growns that I find to be attractive - at prices I feel are sustainable.

TinsieCat

Rough_Rock
@Rockdiamond to discuss the crux of your intended focus further:

As a consumer, here is how I used to perceive lab diamonds before I ripped through the science of them and then compared numerous LGD's and naturals side-by-side from a variety of sellers.

1. They're fake
2. They won't look the same as natural
3. The seller is trying to fool me
4. They're expensive for being fake
5. I should just stick with a CZ or Moissanite instead

After merely a few days of research visiting a handful of amongst the millions and millions of websites and videos around the world geared towards the education about LGD's, I was utterly shocked that synthesized diamonds were at the amazing state of existence that they are now, instead of just industrial grade for things like augmenting the blades of saws.

I just received my gorgeous lab diamond and I told one of my bffs and one aunt who are judgey. I know I should not care what they think but it does bother me when they start implying it’s “fake” and “cheap”. I don’t know how to go about educating them without sounding defensive. I wish I had never told them in the first place.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I just received my gorgeous lab diamond and I told one of my bffs and one aunt who are judgey. I know I should not care what they think but it does bother me when they start implying it’s “fake” and “cheap”. I don’t know how to go about educating them without sounding defensive. I wish I had never told them in the first place.

That's their battle that they have to fight within themselves.
You know what you've got: a real, bonafide, actual diamond that is 100% identical to what the Earth creates, and is just as pleasing to your eyes...that's all that matters.

If you are on social media and they are on your friends/followers list, then you could always make a simplistic post that doesn't tag or target anyone and links to the best diamond education section on the world wide web, along the lines of:

"I absolutely LOVE my amazing diamond!"

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results