shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I learn to love my white diamond?

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
I love my e-ring diamond and think it is beautiful but it's an H. My problem is that I can't stop dreaming about yummy lower colors especially light browns. I feel kinda stupid since I picked the stone. I knew that I prefer lower colors, but I wanted an elongated old cut. Finding something that was an old cut, elongated shape, lower color, good cut and in budget proved impossible. So when this diamond winked at me so beautifully and it's only fault was that it was white white, well I figured that I could learn to love white diamonds too.

I find myself thinking that I want to upgrade in a couple of years. Not because I want a bigger stone but because I want something a lot warmer. My fiancee is very sentimental about the stone and does not want to upgrade. I figured that I could just get an anniversary ring instead. Well apparently he wants my e-ring to be the biggest stone I own. Still don't know how I am going to handle that little fact.

I think the mayor thing that is making me unhappy is that I am very disappointed in my setting. When it was in the original setting (way to big and impossible to re-size) then I still sometimes wished it were warmer but I loved it and was happy. It is now in a bezeled halo setting but the bezel is really thick and it has affected the stones performance to a very large extent. The table facets now look dead and the majority of the fire is gone. It kinda looks like a white topaz.

My engagement ring is very over the top for Sweden, here engagement rings are mostly plain gold bands so it feels so wrong to spend more money on my e-ring. Especially since I can't let go of the thought that I want something a lot warmer, then it would be stupid to put more money into a new setting.

Anyway to zap the diamond and make it warmer? :roll:

Also does anyone know if a jeweler can inexpensively remove the bezel and do prongs to an existing setting? I hope that getting the fire back would make me forget about the white issue.

Sorry about my rambling novel I know I am all over the place. I guess I just feel guilty about not being perfectly in love with my e-ring.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would imagine a good jeweler could absolutely turn the bezel setting into a prong setting, but a pro would know better than I would. I think you should do that and see if you like your diamond and setting better with prongs. It's an absolutely gorgeous stone and it's a shame that the performance isn't great right now.

And if you change the setting to prongs and still don't like it, reset it! Maybe you could set it in yellow gold to give it more of a warm look? If this is going to be your only engagement ring, you should love it! You could always put a colored stone in the setting you have now.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1315781236|3015317 said:
I would imagine a good jeweler could absolutely turn the bezel setting into a prong setting, but a pro would know better than I would. I think you should do that and see if you like your diamond and setting better with prongs. It's an absolutely gorgeous stone and it's a shame that the performance isn't great right now.

And if you change the setting to prongs and still don't like it, reset it! Maybe you could set it in yellow gold to give it more of a warm look? If this is going to be your only engagement ring, you should love it! You could always put a colored stone in the setting you have now.
I was just going to mention yellow gold also. Perhaps a yellow gold head?

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the kind words Thing2of2. It helps to hear that I am not crazy for wanting to change my e-ring. In real life there is no one to talk to about this kind of stuff. People just look at me like I am crazy. Funny thing my mom just got engaged, guess what she picked. A gold band with three 1 pointers. Meanwhile I picked a 1.07ct old mine cut in a custom halo :lol: .

Ame and Thing2of2- I had already thought about doing a pink gold head then I remembered. My prettys old setting was entirely in yellow gold (with black enamel) and she looked if possible even whiter, even from the side placed and place on a white surface. Most of the time the stone would either reflect the colors of my shirt or be white white or white blue.

Is an H not supposed to be sufficiently low down on the color scale to look yellower in a yellow setting? I think mine missed that memo.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really am surprised that it didn't pick up more body color than it did. I wish I had better ideas to warm it up.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
3 stone with warm sides?

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1315784296|3015384 said:
I really am surprised that it didn't pick up more body color than it did. I wish I had better ideas to warm it up.

I know. Someone should tell my stone it's supposed to pick up colors from it's setting. Here is a like to my old setting, really awful photos but as you can see it picked up no warmth. The last photo is the most representative of what I would see all the time. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-omc-engagement-ring-with-black-enamel.155485/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-omc-engagement-ring-with-black-enamel.155485/[/URL]

I was thinking that if I do a reset maybe to include color in the shank, either rose gold or maybe sapphires, could kinda make up for the whiteness. Right now my whole ring is white.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait a minute...I seem to recall someone having a setting with a yellow sapphire (I think) set in the bottom of the ring at the culet to enhance the color of the diamond...pretty sure it was Haven's, you could check her topics...would probably involve a new setting, though...just an idea.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally like it just how it is. Though it is interesting to me that it didnt pick up any ring color at all. Is there ANY sort of lighting situation where it gives the color you love?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yellow diamonds have been enhanced by yellow gold "cups" under the setting for centuries. Perhaps your present ring could accommodate a cup under the halo.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1315786286|3015429 said:
Yellow diamonds have been enhanced by yellow gold "cups" under the setting for centuries. Perhaps your present ring could accommodate a cup under the halo.

great idea!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, no, your heart belongs to color and your stone is too white! i'm loving the idea of a small yellow stone beneath it or even yellow gold to help heighten the color.

perhaps for an anniversary you could convince your other half to set the diamond as a pendant and get yourself a champagne or higher yellow diamond for your e-ring?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I think you won't be happy with your ring until you switch out the setting! Is there any way you can inexpensively put a colored stone into your current setting (yellow sapphire since you love warmer stones) and get an inexpensive but open setting for your pretty oval? Then you would have the FIRE back. I know you like warmth, but I feel like what you really miss is the FIRE. To get the stone that you fell in love with, you might have to do away with the bezel! I actually loved your original setting! Yellow gold would be divine! Maybe you could sell your current setting if money is an issue to fund the yellow gold setting? White diamonds have plenty of fire and lots going on - and shouldn't just look white, imo. My colorless diamonds always show rainbows and big flashes of yellow, red, blue and green. I've never looked at them and thought, "Hmmm, white!" This is why I think you miss the FIRE that the bezel is probably quenching! :love:

Lew Lew

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Re the yellow diamond on the bottom thing - will it even work to make your particular diamond yellower? In this thread (https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ght-performance.162974/#post-2965173#p2965173) a guy asked about a hidden pink diamond b/c he was worried it would make the main white diamond pink, and the responses were that it would not look pink if the main diamond were a well-cut diamond with a closed culet.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree trying a YG band might do the trick for you. I had a heart diamond in a 4mm YG cathedral solitaire mounting and you could see yellow no matter which direction you looked. I moved it to a WG RHR and even though it's probably a H or I now I don't see yellow in it. I am attaching pictures sorry they aren't the same size and the YG one is overly yellow but I think you can still see the difference.

hrtring.jpg

heartringenhancer.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
natascha|1315780887|3015313 said:
I think the mayor thing that is making me unhappy is that I am very disappointed in my setting. When it was in the original setting (way to big and impossible to re-size) then I still sometimes wished it were warmer but I loved it and was happy. It is now in a bezeled halo setting but the bezel is really thick and it has affected the stones performance to a very large extent. The table facets now look dead and the majority of the fire is gone. It kinda looks like a white topaz.

My engagement ring is very over the top for Sweden, here engagement rings are mostly plain gold bands so it feels so wrong to spend more money on my e-ring. Especially since I can't let go of the thought that I want something a lot warmer, then it would be stupid to put more money into a new setting.

Natascha - get that bezel redone, stat! I had the exact same problem with my pendant, and twice over, at that - the jeweler had left a little too much metal at the back of the setting, and it was causing gunk to accumulate. I noticed it around the shoulders of the stone immediately and had him grind it down, but it took me almost 6 months to realize that the same problem was still present to a lesser degree at the base of the stone, right where the biggest facets are on a pear. I took it back, and, voila! All of a sudden, my stone is the same firecracker it was before it was set. And here I wasted a year feeling sort of "meh" about it and worrying that I'd just chosen a dud! What you're describing sounds pretty much identical, so if you're not comfortable with the international shipping, go to a good local jeweler and ask if they can thin out your bezel (double-check and see if it's the front or the back that's causing the issue).

As for the color issue ... oh, would that I knew. I don't have a color issue per se, but I can't help but wish that my e-ring stone had fluorescence. I love everything about it - size, color, cut, the whole shebang - but that one thing niggles at me. I sort of think it's the sort of thing we have to learn to live with, because, sadly, there's no way to impart either color or fluor (or to take them away, much as others have wished!). The cup idea might work, and the idea of a tiny stone under the open culet might as well, but at the end of the day, they're band-aids, I think. My best advice would be to make this one look as beautiful as it can, and to keep an eye out for another stone with all the warmth you want for a RHR or anniversary ....

P.S. - I know what you mean about Sweden (I think we've commiserated in other threads). But it shouldn't feel wrong to spend money on something you love - hey, it's not like it's taking away from anything else in your life, right? Just a slight difference in priorities. :Up_to_something:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
The way I deal with my diamond not being as yellow as I would have liked is to embrace it for what it is. It has its own special very unique quirks that I love and it cannot help that a million years ago it was destined to be the shade that it is. Perhaps this is all too poetic, but that's part of it for me. That it is what it is and I can love it but I can't change that. I think that one of the things that disappointed me in your reset is that the shape became too perfect in that oval. I love its slight wonkiness in the previous setting. I don't like the setting that my stone is in either - I mean I like it but my stone doesn't like it. I have a reset planned. I just hope that I can solve the problems with the reset. It was so beautiful before it was set and I want to recapture that.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The nice thing about near colorless stone is that I think it is easier to see the range of fire in a colorless stone versus one with a hue. You can try to make your stone more yellow, but it seems to me that there are other things that are bothering you about the stone/setting. You can either start over and get a yellow/brown stone, or b) switch out the old setting to one where the setting is more open and can bring out your stone's better qualities. Then you might fall in love with it again.

I think another thing is that where you live, the size of your diamond ring is not the norm. Maybe you would feel more comfortable with a colored diamond (which is more subtle, could be mistaken for something else) or a colored stone. I would think carefully what you think would truly make you happy rather than doing half/fixes, half-fixes being trying to make your stone more yellow.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
When you really think about it hard and forgot how you are supposed to feel...is your dislike about the stone, the setting or both entirely?

Would you be happy with a well-executed setting with the current stone? If the answer is no, then I would probably live with what you have an eventually work out a sollution to get a warmer stone whether that would be an upgrade, a second ring, or something along those lines. This may take time to find a sollution especially if it's a sensitive topic with the hubby. However, if it's more about the stone than the setting, fidgiting with the setting won't solve the problem.

If you think you would be happy with your ring if it was reset or remade into a well-executed setting, then I do think it would be worth going that route. First, I would ask jewelers that have proven themselves to do excellent and detailed repairs and ask if the bezel can be turned into prongs and what they think about how it would look. If they give you the go, then I think it's worth it to try this if you think you could love the setting then. Another option if you think you could be happy with your stone would be to reset, perhaps into a more vintagy looking yellow gold or rose gold (yum) setting with a basket underneath and perhaps some warm colored melee in the J/K range. Repairs, especially good ones, can get pricey so that may influence your decision to reset.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are the best!

IndyLady- Good Idea, I actually want a nice OEC three stone in warm colors for some special occasion in about 5 years.

junebug17- Yes that is havens amazing ring. A cognac diamond would be great underneath. Only thing is that I like my rings to be easy access :naughty: otherwise I go nuts when trying to clean it ( I only use ye old toothbrush and fairy).

ame- Only time it would be that type of color is if I wear something beige/ brown.

Lady_Disdain- Those cups are pretty amazing. Thing is it would drive me bonkers not being able to clean it. How do you clean a cupped diamond?

Movie zombie- That's basically what I want to do. Or maybe for the wedding ( still 5 years to go) I know some people go from the typical yellow gold engagement band to white ones for the wedding. I mean mt case would be the same right? I 'll just be changing the color of my diamond :D

Bliss- I think you hit the nail on the head. In the old setting when it acted like a fireball and the setting was amazing to look at I loved it. I have to get that fire back! I can afford to get a new setting the problem is more convincing myself that it is ok to spend that much money. Thing is that in Sweden I have not found anyone that does stock or inexpensive settings, cheapest I have found is around $1300 for a basic solitaire. I need to do something, I will talk to my jeweler when I go and order the settings for my new earrings and see what he says. Thing is I can afford to get a whole new setting I just need to convince myself that it is okay to spend the money on jewelry.

Lew Lew- great thread, Thank you!

Marcy- both those rings look great! Thanks for the great comparison. Thing is my diamond used to be in a yellow gold setting and it was still completely white from all angles. Higher up I linked to my old setting, the last photo is most representative of the actual color I saw most of the time.

Circe- It would be amazing if they could just thin out the bezel. Do you think that would be enough for my OMC? My diamond is actually pretty shallow for a OMC, still has the really high crown. I think that in the old setting it was getting a lot of light from the pavilion maybe. http://www.etsy.com/listing/71703431/reserved-for-nataschaniklas A you can see the bezel is quite thick covering a lot of the diamond, underneath it's the same story, lots of metal. I also love fluorescence, when I bought this diamond they said it did not have any but out in the sun it glows blue sometimes. I need to get a black-light :sun: . Your recommendation is great, I think that what I need to do.
Your husband is from Sweden but you don't live here, right? Feels great that someone has had the same experience. Have you ever met someone in Sweden with the same size diamond as yours?

Cehrabehra- Great explanation. You diamond is actually one of my first loves :love: I remember doing the math to see if mine would look like little sister to yours I agree about the wonkiness. My stone just looks wrong in this setting, like if someone forced into a girdle. What do you feel is wrong with you setting? Please tell me all about your thoughts about your reset.Maybe we can commiserate together.

Part gypsy- Good point and tips, fire really is the reason why I picked a diamond. I think I really need to do something. I am going to ask the jeweler if it is feasible to change the bezel otherwise I need to think about what to do. You are right about the half fixes, I need to fall back in love with my stone for what it is ( and later get some yummy warmer stones :naughty: ).

I don't think it is about what I feel comfortable with, my ring is so different for Sweden that no one believes it is real. I wear my ring because it is what I like I do however get sad that no one thinks I am engaged before I tell them. I have even had people ask where my engagement ring is when I tell them I am engaged.

Kcoursolle- You really know where to press. When I read what you wrote my first reaction was " I don't hate my baby!" I think that is pretty telling. Is it my dream stone? No, it is too white. But when I think back before my reset, I did love it. I do think that I would be happy with a well- executed setting but I worry that I will end up convincing my hubby to get a warmer stone say in 4-5 years and then the money would be down the drain. With a new setting I think I would need to go handmade, this one is cad and cast and I am starting to realize that it just feels wrong. My stone is a wonderful OMC and it needs an appropriate setting, not a modern looking one. My design is based of a original art deco setting but it came out looking modern and not delicate. I have found a bench that seems to do incredible work, I am going to have them do my earrings and pendant ( as soon as I decide what I want). The only problem is that they know what they are doing but they are not the hand holding types. They will tell you what is best and what is possible but you need to know what you want before going in. The don't have the time to sit for hours with you.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
I was playing with my ring and when I take it off and hold it against a light (light coming in backwards) then it goes all pastel and the facets under the table light up. When I put my finger in those same facets turn of and go kinda grey. They did not do that in the old setting, then it was a light show all the time.

So question, how open does the setting have to be so that the above doe not happen? I really want to keep having a halo. Would just raising it a bit in prongs be enough?

Here is a photo of the old setting from the side, here there were no problems.

DSCF0212ju'.jpg

DSCF0198ju.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Kcoursolle- You really know where to press. When I read what you wrote my first reaction was " I don't hate my baby!" I think that is pretty telling. Is it my dream stone? No, it is too white. But when I think back before my reset, I did love it. I do think that I would be happy with a well- executed setting but I worry that I will end up convincing my hubby to get a warmer stone say in 4-5 years and then the money would be down the drain. With a new setting I think I would need to go handmade, this one is cad and cast and I am starting to realize that it just feels wrong. My stone is a wonderful OMC and it needs an appropriate setting, not a modern looking one. My design is based of a original art deco setting but it came out looking modern and not delicate. I have found a bench that seems to do incredible work, I am going to have them do my earrings and pendant ( as soon as I decide what I want). The only problem is that they know what they are doing but they are not the hand holding types. They will tell you what is best and what is possible but you need to know what you want before going in. The don't have the time to sit for hours with you."

I certainly didn't mean to press any buttons and sorry if I did! Your stone and setting are a knockout and I think perhaps that's why you're dealing with some guilt about not feeling that the ring is quite right. I can relate to this completely and I have perfectionist tendencies which makes it hard to decide on something and to be completely satisfied once I do. I'm going through this right now as I decide on a reset... I think the fact that you "don't hate your baby" is a really good sign that you could probably be happy with your ring if you modified it, at least for a fair amount of time. Personally I would think it's worth it to do this if it gives you a good feeling about your ring, even if you do upgrade in 4-5 years. I would just dump the guilt, especially since it sounds like it's something you can easily afford right now. In terms of your locale, I really doubt anyone would notice if you modified your setting.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I really wonder if the halo would continue to block light even with prongs, and not a bezel. The original looks very open to light coming from the sides. Some old stones really do need that extra light coming in- plus you can clean them so much better!

I'd just go with a reset. You may find that it's perfect in a new setting. I really had no idea how much difference a great setting can make until I finally shelled out for the Victor Canera one- it seriously was worth every penny! Yeah, you may end up talking your husband into a larger, warmer stone down the line, but you know what? You should love the one you've got until then, not look at it and feel disappointed constantly. That sucks! It sounds like any upgrade/anniversary stone would be years down the line, so... reset that puppy! :bigsmile: It would *not* be money down the drain- it'd be the difference between loving your diamond or feeling frustration over it, for a number of years. I think that's worth some $$$, really. And who knows, maybe you'd even go for a new stone "in addition to" rather than "instead of" :naughty:

(I swore I posted to this thread earlier but where did it go? Weird...)

Have you talked to a jeweler with a laser welder about resizing the original? It sounds like you loved it in that setting but the sizing was the only problem, with the enamel, right? I strongly suspect a laser welder could do the job. Because, good LORD the original setting is amazing, unique, and beautiful. I don't wear yellow gold and I'd make an exception for that one in a heartbeat!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
natascha|1315947891|3016781 said:
Cehrabehra- Great explanation. You diamond is actually one of my first loves :love: I remember doing the math to see if mine would look like little sister to yours I agree about the wonkiness. My stone just looks wrong in this setting, like if someone forced into a girdle. What do you feel is wrong with you setting? Please tell me all about your thoughts about your reset.Maybe we can commiserate together.

Well for one - it wasn't what I asked for. In fact she told me she didn't do a few things I asked after she already had it in the mail. It is the most perfectly made setting I've ever seen though, the quality is amazing. But that got it off to a bad start. Also, because it's an old style cut it has a lot - a TON of green on the aset and is better in a setting where it can get light in the pavilion. I know super-ideally that's not a popular quality in a diamond, but in MY opinion that glowy thing it does is something I love that a well cut stone doesn't do as well when seen from the side etc. Third, it's really hard to clean - I was warned about that but I thought I would have more room on the sides than I did. The sides were much higher up on the diamond than I expected or hoped they'd be. I'm going to reset it in something airy... in fact I've spent time looking at your old setting and thinking how amazing it is how much light got in there... wondering if there are aspects of it I could incorporate :)

Let me ask you a question - why didn't you like it in the other setting? I read somewhere you thought it was too big but I really liked that rock suspended in mid air look - loved it!!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Cehrabehra|1316013454|3017338 said:
natascha|1315947891|3016781 said:

Well for one - it wasn't what I asked for. In fact she told me she didn't do a few things I asked after she already had it in the mail. It is the most perfectly made setting I've ever seen though, the quality is amazing. But that got it off to a bad start. Also, because it's an old style cut it has a lot - a TON of green on the aset and is better in a setting where it can get light in the pavilion. I know super-ideally that's not a popular quality in a diamond, but in MY opinion that glowy thing it does is something I love that a well cut stone doesn't do as well when seen from the side etc. Third, it's really hard to clean - I was warned about that but I thought I would have more room on the sides than I did. The sides were much higher up on the diamond than I expected or hoped they'd be. I'm going to reset it in something airy... in fact I've spent time looking at your old setting and thinking how amazing it is how much light got in there... wondering if there are aspects of it I could incorporate :)

Let me ask you a question - why didn't you like it in the other setting? I read somewhere you thought it was too big but I really liked that rock suspended in mid air look - loved it!!

How could she not tell you until it was already shipped? That is why I wanted CAD and cast, I thought that way I would get exactly what I wanted :roll: . My stone used to do the glowy thing too, I really miss that. My old setting was great for cleaning, it is completely open underneath (I had them make my current one open underneath too, it drivs me bonkers not being able to clean it). Hope your new setting is easy clean.

If you want some specific photos of my old setting please don't hesitate to ask ( it is now reset with a spinel). That setting is such an amazing piece of art, the goldsmith was definitively a master. It was set so low that the culet exactly hovered over your finger. Wish I could go back to 1866 and ask him to do a new setting :lol: .

Regarding the reset, it was due to several different reasons. The biggest was that the ring size was too big, I am a 5-5 1/4 and the ring was 7 1/2. Since it has enamel I could not find any jeweler that knew how to resize it without damaging it. Secondly I have always wanted a halo for my engagement ring, and before I had ever seen one I wanted a carmose, I think in English it's called a cluster, but with small diamonds surrounding a big center stone. Another big reason is that I am a total clutzh, I wear this ring 24/7 and I end up whacking it into something a couple of times a day. The diamond already had a significant chip in one of the corners so I wanted the safest setting possible, how much safer than a bezel + halo can you get was kinda my thought process.

You do realize I am going to stalk your reset threads? Your stone is still one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's very sweet of you to say :) I totally get your reasons... one of the things I like about the current setting mine is in is that it is very safe. I'm trying to find a balance. It's not going to get reset until next summer though because of the whole location issue. I wish there was an easy solution for you... :)

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
kcoursolle|1315978413|3017126 said:
"Kcoursolle- You really know where to press. When I read what you wrote my first reaction was " I don't hate my baby!" I think that is pretty telling. Is it my dream stone? No, it is too white. But when I think back before my reset, I did love it. I do think that I would be happy with a well- executed setting but I worry that I will end up convincing my hubby to get a warmer stone say in 4-5 years and then the money would be down the drain. With a new setting I think I would need to go handmade, this one is cad and cast and I am starting to realize that it just feels wrong. My stone is a wonderful OMC and it needs an appropriate setting, not a modern looking one. My design is based of a original art deco setting but it came out looking modern and not delicate. I have found a bench that seems to do incredible work, I am going to have them do my earrings and pendant ( as soon as I decide what I want). The only problem is that they know what they are doing but they are not the hand holding types. They will tell you what is best and what is possible but you need to know what you want before going in. The don't have the time to sit for hours with you."

I certainly didn't mean to press any buttons and sorry if I did! Your stone and setting are a knockout and I think perhaps that's why you're dealing with some guilt about not feeling that the ring is quite right. I can relate to this completely and I have perfectionist tendencies which makes it hard to decide on something and to be completely satisfied once I do. I'm going through this right now as I decide on a reset... I think the fact that you "don't hate your baby" is a really good sign that you could probably be happy with your ring if you modified it, at least for a fair amount of time. Personally I would think it's worth it to do this if it gives you a good feeling about your ring, even if you do upgrade in 4-5 years. I would just dump the guilt, especially since it sounds like it's something you can easily afford right now. In terms of your locale, I really doubt anyone would notice if you modified your setting.

I meant that in a good way, As in I really needed to ask myself exactly that. So a hugh thank you :appl: . I have to admit that I have been stalking your reset thread, it feel good to see that I am not the only perfectionist out there. By the way your five stone is amazing.

You are right that I need to let go of the guilt. It is my money and I can afford it. Funny thing is the reason I can afford it is that I have been living very lean and mean the last 5 years, always having a hard time with buying stuff for myself.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Cehrabehra|1316019965|3017438 said:
That's very sweet of you to say :) I totally get your reasons... one of the things I like about the current setting mine is in is that it is very safe. I'm trying to find a balance. It's not going to get reset until next summer though because of the whole location issue. I wish there was an easy solution for you... :)
I hate the location issues :angryfire: . At least that way you won't be tempted to speed through the process an then be left regretting something. I guess we both needed to live with our stones before realizing what type of setting they need. It will be interesting to see which setting you pick.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
LGK|1315984573|3017160 said:
I really wonder if the halo would continue to block light even with prongs, and not a bezel. The original looks very open to light coming from the sides. Some old stones really do need that extra light coming in- plus you can clean them so much better!

I'd just go with a reset. You may find that it's perfect in a new setting. I really had no idea how much difference a great setting can make until I finally shelled out for the Victor Canera one- it seriously was worth every penny! Yeah, you may end up talking your husband into a larger, warmer stone down the line, but you know what? You should love the one you've got until then, not look at it and feel disappointed constantly. That sucks! It sounds like any upgrade/anniversary stone would be years down the line, so... reset that puppy! :bigsmile: It would *not* be money down the drain- it'd be the difference between loving your diamond or feeling frustration over it, for a number of years. I think that's worth some $$$, really. And who knows, maybe you'd even go for a new stone "in addition to" rather than "instead of" :naughty:

(I swore I posted to this thread earlier but where did it go? Weird...)

Have you talked to a jeweler with a laser welder about resizing the original? It sounds like you loved it in that setting but the sizing was the only problem, with the enamel, right? I strongly suspect a laser welder could do the job. Because, good LORD the original setting is amazing, unique, and beautiful. I don't wear yellow gold and I'd make an exception for that one in a heartbeat!

I was hoping you would chime in :wavey: .

I really want to keep having a halo, I have always wanted a big stone surrounded by little diamonds. I was hoping that if the stone was raised a bit like in http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/halo-prong-diamond-engagement-ring-521.htm enough light would get in. My stone is pretty shallow in the pavilion ( still has the high crown). I don't know the depth, but the stone is 6,89x6,17x3,62 and weighs 1,07ct. So I was hoping that raising it a bit would be enough, what do you think?

I worry that with an open setting with no bezel and no halo the girdle would be in danger since it already has a significant chip in one corner.

Your reset is amazingly beautiful, Victor Canera seems to make the type of work that I haven't seen outside of antiques. I guess I don't want to know how much one of his settings cost ;( but is it in the range of 3000, 4000 or 5000+?

Don't worry I still wear the old setting as a right hand ring, it is just to beautiful to give up on. Would a laser welder not have the same problems with heat destroying the enamel? How normal is it that a jeweler has one of those?

I am a bit bummed today because I lost out on an amazing pair of earring that would have matching the old setting. http://www.kaplans.se/Kaplans/AuctionArt.aspx?vId=746919&plT=63457446&AuktID=2187 Stupid people bidding on MY earrnings :angryfire:

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Well I finally followed Gypsys inspiration and put two of my rings on auction. I hope that I will feel better about maybe reseting if it's not "new'' jewelry money :roll: . Since I don't were these rings whats the point of them sitting in my jewelry box, right? One is a ring I have never liked but bought at a great price because it had 6 pretty tiny omc at 0.05-0.08ct, I thought that I could use them for a bezeled band project but it never happened. The other one is a stunning OEC at 0.8-0.9ct, seriously the most beautiful cut I have seen in my life, so feeling a bit queasy about that one. Thing is it is a love/hate relationship since it is has a better cut than my e-ring and that just feels wrong. It is this one [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1928-oec-solitaire-ring.157775/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1928-oec-solitaire-ring.157775/[/URL]

I am planning on getting new studs and a pendant. The stones for the studs are OEC and the pendant maybe stone is a tranny. Since the whole debacle of my e-ring I am a bit worried since I want to bezel them. However the setting the OEC are does not really let in any light to the pavilion so I am thinking it might be fine. What do you guys think? [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ugly-ring-but-pretty-diamonds.165403/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ugly-ring-but-pretty-diamonds.165403/[/URL]

konring1.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results