shape
carat
color
clarity

How do i find her ring size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TechSales

Rough_Rock
OK, not sure if this should be here or not but...

I need help - I don''t want her to know I''m getting the ring but how do I find her ring size? Any sneaky guys out there that can help.
emotion-14.gif

I''m going to get a platnum setting and I have heard resizing these are very hard and expensive -is that true?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The usual thing would be to pic up a ring of hers and have it measured... or see how rings fit on he finger when she tries something on in a jewelry shop.

Anyway, I am not sure I'd risk any guessing if the design you have in mind cannot be sized - this is the case for tension set rings and any model that has stones or engraving down the shank. There have been some expensive size misses with Tacori rings and one or two others around here, for example.

In general, simple rings can be sized up to two sizes - so there is some room for guessing.

If you put the stone is a cheap temporary setting, there is no problem left to solve
20.gif

Just my 0.2, of course.

TechSales

Rough_Rock
Thanks valeria - I hadn''t thought about not being able to resize due to the stones on the band! Here is a pick of the ring - can anyone tell me if i coudl get this re-sized?

Ring%20side.jpeg

Ring%20top.jpeg

Ring front.jpeg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2005 2:27:51 PM
Author: TechSales

Thanks valeria - I hadn''t thought about not being able to resize due to the stones on the band! Here is a pick of the ring - can anyone tell me if i could get this re-sized?
I can see the side view picture only and it looks like there are tube set sidestones and two more flush set down the shank... Honestly, I don''t know how much this could be sized safely: the setting should be possible to size the usual 1-2 sizes. More I would not try on any ring - and believe me, I''ve had a few in the works and learned my lesson (I need them size 3 and few rings can be deformed down from the usual size 6-7).

Now that I''m thinking... it is allot easier to size down instead of up, so it is preferable to guess up rather than down. Also, a ring that is too small cannot be tried on and this will be frustrating about an e-ring. A large one can at least be put on the finger for the crucial occasion and then brought to a jeweler for adjustment.

Any chance you could sneak away to a jeweler with one of her current rings and have it measured?

Perhaps this is not true in general, but more often than not jewelers can tell my ring and bracelet sizes as soon as I step through their door. Perhaps a salesman who has been working in a jewelry store for a week can''t do this any more than I can (= not at all), but with some experience a jeweler could help you with the guess. It''s pretty odd to have someone ''size you up'' like that - feels like a flirt. Tailors do the same
9.gif

TechSales

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I could grab the old ring she doesn't wear out of her drawer and she wouldn't miss it but (and I'm almost ashamed to admit it) I have no idea what finger she wore it on it - it's been a really long time since she wore it...

I guess I will do that and guess a half size larger just to be sure - The only other idea I can come up with is getting her really drunk and wait for her to pas out and then tie a string aroud her finger!! LOL
emsmilep.gif

The place I'm going to buy it says the do free sizing's within 90 days of shipment so if I can get it close (as you said hopefully larger rather then smaller) we can ship it back to be sized after I give it to her...

TechSales

Rough_Rock
top view...

Ring top.jpeg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2005 3:10:07 PM

I have no idea what finger she wore it on it - it''s been a really long time since she wore it...

That would help! Unless it is a pinkie or thumb ring, the size would be a reasonable approximation within the two size range .

The free-sizing policy is a good thing - it looks like meant for exactly the situation you are dealing with. You may want to ask beforehand if this covers any kind of work needed to size up or down or just a simple intervention. The setting you chose doesn''t seem likely to need much work for sizing, but... it doesn''t hurt to ask either.

Best of luck!
1.gif

Do you have the diamond already?

TechSales

Rough_Rock

I think the ring was for her middle finger - it def wasn't pinky or thumb so I should be good - Pheeeeeeew! Need ot go check my blood pressure - this ring buying stuff is getting me all worked up!

emsmilep.gif

I don’t have either yet - I have just selected what I want. I have another post going about my hesitance of buying on line - I’m getting closer to pulling the trigger though. My goal is to have it settled by Monday - going to go down to her rents for turkey day and I want to ask her fathers "permission" and I feel i should have everything at least 90% sorted when I do...

Here’s a thought/idea - maybe you ladies can help me out. Do any of you ladies know any of your friends ring size? Did you try your girlfriend’s e-ring on when they got them or anything like that? Point is: do you think her best friend might know? Or be able to find out in a sneaky way? I wanted to keep it "hush hush" - they talk about everything and I’m not sure she would/could keep the secret. Although my GF kept it from her friend (or so they say anyway) when her husband was going to ask - hmmmmmmmmm

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2005 3:27:11 PM

I think the ring was for her middle finger - it def wasn't pinky or thumb so I should be good - Pheeeeeeew! Need ot go check my blood pressure - this ring buying stuff is getting me all worked up!
emsmilep.gif

I don’t have either yet - I have just selected what I want. I have another post going about my hesitance of buying on line - I’m getting closer to pulling the trigger though. My goal is to have it settled by Monday - going to go down to her rents for turkey day and I want to ask her fathers 'permission' and I feel i should have everything at least 90% sorted when I do...

Here’s a thought/idea - maybe you ladies can help me out. Do any of you ladies know any of your friends ring size? Did you try your girlfriend’s e-ring on when they got them or anything like that? Point is: do you think her best friend might know? Or be able to find out in a sneaky way? I wanted to keep it 'hush hush' - they talk about everything and I’m not sure she would/could keep the secret. Although my GF kept it from her friend (or so they say anyway) when her husband was going to ask - hmmmmmmmmm

Hey TechSales. The bar of soap idea is one of my favorites, though Val's suggestion of taking an actual ring to a jeweler would be best (make sure it's for the right finger)
1.gif

Here is a list of ideas that has surfaced in various threads:
- - - - -

Make an Impression
If she’s in the habit of leaving any of her rings lying about, make an impression of one. A bar of soap, a piece of clay or even a piece of bread can be used to take a reliable measurement.
Put it in Writing
You could even trace the inside of the ring on a piece of paper which the jeweler can then use to determine an accurate measurement.
Try it on for Size
Simpler still, just put one of her rings on your own fingers. Push it down as far as it will go and then mark the spot with a pen. Then just show the marking to your jeweler who can measure it for you.
What are Friends For
A friend of the soon-to-be bride’s can be of great assistance in this particular endeavor. It’s not uncommon for one friend to ask another for their ring size as a matter of curiosity. Just be sure you choose a friend who can keep a secret.
The Real Thing
If you can bring one of her rings to the jeweler without arousing any suspicion, this will probably be the safest course of action. Offer to take her jewelry to be cleaned and have the jeweler measure her ring at the same time."

- - - - -

TechSales

Rough_Rock
thanks for the idea''s John - She has a ring in one of our drawers she doesn''t wear any more so I think I will go that route.

Would you know if the rumer I heard about sizing platnum (harder and more expensive)was true?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2005 6:45:54 PM
thanks for the idea's John - She has a ring in one of our drawers she doesn't wear any more so I think I will go that route.

Would you know if the rumor I heard about sizing platinum (harder and more expensive)was true?

Not really... it is a cheap service anyway as long as it is not a fancy ring that needs to be taken apart for sizing.

I've looked over your other posts trying to figure out how large is the ring etc. I am not sure how much I subscribe to this theory, but you may find dozens and dozens of threads here (nearly every ring's story!) saying that thin bands are better to show off stones and sidestones are better small relative to center etc. Most rings seem to hover around 2mm these days and that is very narrow and dainty, IMO... and may save you a bunch: both cash and headache because such a simple narrow band is really no trouble sizing / replacing or whatever.

If the setting's cost is significant relative to the diamond... I'd give it a thought especially if this particular setting has not been the girl's explicit choice. Simple may be better.
2.gif

TechSales

Rough_Rock
The ring is set with six princess cuts and two round diamonds. The rounds sit next to the center and there is 3 princess cut stones on each side. They are relatively small (total weight is .5 ct). Does anyone know if this would be hard to work on and if having it sized would be a problem/expensive?

one more pic:
R-front.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Buy a box of ChefBoyArdee pizza kit...get all four of your hands in the dough...viola. The one she is wearing must be removed and cleaned. You clean it for her.

I know it sounds stupid...but it is what popped into my thoughts.

DKS

PS. My mother knows my rings size.

TechSales

Rough_Rock

DKS - not a stupid idea at all! Way to think "outside the box". I went rummaging thru her drawer this morning and actually found two rings she used to wear - both were ruined when stripping wallpaper. Anyway I know one of them she wore on her pointer finger, I think the other went on the middle finger. I’m going to go to a jewelry store at lunch today and ask them to size them, the smaller of the two, I THINK is what I want - any thoughts?

Also, I kind of feel bad going to a jewelry store and asking them to do this seeing as I have no intention of buying a ring from them (I guess it''s possible I could see one I like but...) - do I need to make up a story and look at rings while I’m there or can I just tell them I know the ring I want I just need the size?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love DKS''s idea. as for the smaller of her two rings, the pointer finger one? I cannot even get my wedding ring on my pointer finger so chances are it will be too big for her too.

as for the jeweler, i''d just take the ring in and say, "hi, can you please tell me the size of this ring." There is no need to go into any more details than that..

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 11:15:54 AM

Also, I kind of feel bad going to a jewelry store and asking them to do this seeing as I have no intention of buying a ring from them (I guess it''s possible I could see one I like but...) - do I need to make up a story and look at rings while I’m there or can I just tell them I know the ring I want I just need the size?
a jewelry store is about the only place you can find a mandrel (to determine ring size) and it is expected that people will come in only for sizing. it will take less than a minute to get the ring size. as a courtesy, don''t waste any more of their time or yours if you don''t intend to buy.

TechSales

Rough_Rock
Wow - ok i thought with the two rings I would at least be able to come within a size. I''m just trying to get close enough were it wont be a problem to get it to the right size.

Every time I think I have this figured out it gets worse
emangry.gif
Starting to contemplate telling her so I can get the right size but I think it really should be a surprise - ug!
Anyway - can anyone give me any guidelines on the size ratio from pointer finger to ring finger? I could ask the jeweler I guess but given I highly doubt I will buy from there I don''t want to take up any of more of their time as needed...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re not going to be able to get the exact size. if the pointer finger ring that you have is one from her left hand (sizes aren''t usually the same for both hands) then you will probably be pretty close. you definetly don''t want to get it too small...what fun is a ring you can''t wear!? as long as she can put the ring on, you can have the ring sized later.

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if this was already said but you might want to make sure she wears the ring you are going to take for sizing on her ring finger. Most of the rings I have are a size 7, but when I went to the jewerly to get my ring sized for an e-ring, I fit into a size 6. I've had other friends who were surprised at the difference in their ring finger compared to say their middle finger or index. I still sometimes worry that it's wrong but when I look at my ring finger and middle finger, my MF is obvioulsy more meater than my RF.

TechSales

Rough_Rock

Oh geese - your fingers will vary in size form one hand to another?!?!?! I knew god was against me! LOL

Well as long as it''s close so she can wear it to show her fam/friends, like you said, I can get it sized later...

So does anyone know if I will get within the acceptable 2 sizes if I go with size of the pointer finger? Should I go a half size smaller?

HELP!!!
emsmilep.gif

Hamster

Rough_Rock
Tech-

Not so make this more difficult for you, but....

Be careful using any opposite hand measurements. I am right handed and my fingers are noticeably larger on that side (kind of freaky when you look at it close up, but I understand that this is normal). My ring finger on my right hand is more than a size larger than my left hand. Also, hands come in so many different shapes and sizes that trying to deduce anything about her ring finger from another finger could be difficult.

This is a silly idea, but can you get her to make a plaster casting of her hand?
3.gif

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
I would rather be given a ring that''s too big rather than too small. She can always put string on it or get a sizer for it until you can take it to get fixed. One that''s too small, she won''t be able to wear.

Kate Hudson apparently put twine on her e-ring and wore it that way until after they were married.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 11:54:03 AM

Oh geese - your fingers will vary in size form one hand to another?!?!?! I knew god was against me! LOL

Well as long as it''s close so she can wear it to show her fam/friends, like you said, I can get it sized later...

So does anyone know if I will get within the acceptable 2 sizes if I go with size of the pointer finger? Should I go a half size smaller?

HELP!!!
emsmilep.gif
a half size smaller is a lot i wouldn''t suggest it. you are probably going to be within one size with the pointer finger. don''t try guessing or changing sizes. if you get the size of a ring she already wears at least you know the e-ring will fit on some finger! it would be a bummer if you tried sizing down and she couldn''t wear the ring at all. go with what you know works.

TechSales

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone! I think I will go with the same size as the pointer finger - she can always use a sizer or string to wear until we can get it sized properly.

BTW - anyone have any idea what the cost is? The place I'm buying it from (www.adiamor.com) says they do it for free within 90 days of shipment but I know my GF and she will probably want it down locally so she will get it back sooner...

Also, I never got any feed on Adiamor - I guess I should start another thread for that...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
did you try doing a search for the company you are inquiring about? i haven''t heard of them before.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
My pointer is a size 7 and my ring is a size 5.5. That is quite a spread. I really hate pointing out my flaws...one ear is lower than the other and well if you ask my weight...well, you''re asking for it!

One year for christmas my husband bought me a robe. It was beautiful. Deep royal shade of purple velour. As I took it out of the box...I realized there was still more in the box to remove. I eagerly threw it on....and stood up there was a pile of robe on the floor. I am a size 4...the robe was a size 3 X. I asked, honey...did you look at the size? He said, "No I just held it up and pictured your size..." At the time I was livid! ( I could have eaten that whole cheesecake afterall he doesn''t know the difference). Maybe if he had grabbed a size 8 or even a 10 for roominess...but not a 3X!! Now it is actually quite funny. He did the same on our wedding ring-(surprise wedding...) anyway he held up the ring and pictured my finger in it. Mind you he had just bought the engagement ring years before...anyway my wedding band is a size 7...I wear it next to my size 5.5 ering...and still refuse to have it altered. I thought it was cute and it was afterall he way of sizing...

Recipe for a great women men relations- men take note: on age always guess 10 years younger...on clothes...order a size smaller. On jewelry...just order two.

Wish we could be more help. Hey...does she get maincures anywhere? You could ask the manicurist to ask. It can be subtle in conversation. Just a thought...I still like pizza night!
2.gif

DKS

every woman dreams of being like Cinderella...that glass slipper was just the right size...don''t give up on the size hunt, just yet. There has got to be away.

TechSales

Rough_Rock

Wow DKS, you just full of good ideas! Unfortunately she doesn’t; do it with any regularity and honestly, i haven’t the slightest clue where she goes...

emembarrassed.gif

I just went to a local jewelry store and just asked if he could tell me what size the two rings were - one was an 8, one was an 8 1/2. I think will order the 8 and get it sized later. An 8 will probably be big but at least she will be able to wear it for a few days...

Belle: I do a search and didn''t come up with anything - i read all the reviews on the website but how posts bad reviews right?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what made you pick adiamor techsales?

TechSales

Rough_Rock
They had the setting I liked mostly. I saw some better diamonds on WF but there settign were very expensive. I though about buying the diamond from WF and setting from Adiamor but then I would have the charge, hastle and extra time of getting it set somewhere else...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i understand. i took a diamond purchased from wf to a local jeweler to be set and it wasn''t a problem but not everyone is comfortable doing that. you have to do what works best for you. i hope your experience is positive.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results