shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I find a ring with Tiffany''s FIRE???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
Cynthia,

You sound like me a month ago.
9.gif
As soon as I received the tracking number, I was refreshing that bookmarked page every hour. Yes, I'm a nut.

As far as I know, there is no specific percentage range for culet. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) As long as it's pointed or none, very small, small or medium, it still counts as ideal. The culet is the diamond's bottom tip, so the part that faces your finger when you're wearing the ring.

Stone sounds beautiful! I think you should buy some halogens for your house or put in an elevator. You'll be mesmerized!

Appraisals are generally recommended on a loose stone. Flaws can be hidden under prongs and can bump up the appraised clarity. It's probably also easier for the appraiser.

I got 1.1 on the HCA when I tried. Even better.
9.gif
Congratulations on a present to yourself! Pictures please!!!!
love.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Hey, Princess~~
4.gif

Yeah, I feel like a nut.... But I'm soooo excited!! I have some kind of confidence that it'll be better than a Tiffany & CO. ring displayed in showcase... but somehow, I have a fear that I'll be disappointed also...

I sound like a little kid...

I will difinitely post pics when I recieve it.... probably the week after next..

Cynthia
12.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check out this thread for info on appraisals.
click here

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, what a beautiful stone to purchase for yourself!!

Have Barry/his team take pictures of the stone and ring BEFORE he ships it out. He did this for another person on here and the pictures came out lovely. Probably better than anything you could do as an amateur...I know...I've tried many a time to photograph my ring!!

Can't wait to see the finished product. Personally I would have gone for the 2.30 as the size difference would be large and I love size mixed with great cut; but it was alot more expensive which may not have been worth the extra $$....the stone you chose sounds very lovely as well.

1.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Mara~~~

Yeah, I know what you mean about choosing the 2.30 stone. But I was thinking it's $4000 more and the HCA is not as good as this one. And the Brilliance scope showed pictures not as bright as the smaller stone....

Man!! All this talk is making me more excited!!
appl.gif

cynthia

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'm a bit late on this thread, but of the two stones you initally posted, I'd have chosen the second one .....for one reason and one reason only.......the pavilion angle is 41.0.

In speaking with many of the experts and vendors in person this week.....the common consensus is that the "demarcation" point on the pavilion angle is 41. Anything 41 and over tends to warp the image. Nearly ALL of them agreed that the optimal pavilion angle range is 40.6 to 40.9.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Barbug, You saved yourself 4 grand on something you probably won't be able to tell the difference on...Spend it on a nice vacation...Somehwere sunny so you can blind people with your new ring..
9.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Hey~~ Josh

Thanks for the reassuance.

Let me get you opinion on something that happened today.

The eightstar company that I contacted before you filled me in on being able to get great stones without the 40% markup contacted me by phone today since I had sent them by email...

They are offering me a 2 carat with an I color vs2.... saying that the I color seems a lot whiter than other ideal cuts...... around $21,000

what do you think... stick with my 2.00 vs1/ G color $21,560 or go with theirs? Do you think their cut is unique with more fire?

Cynthia
rolleyes.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The eightstar company that I contacted before you filled me in on being able to get great stones without the 40% markup contacted me by phone today since I had sent them by email...

They are offering me a 2 carat with an I color vs2.... saying that the I color seems a lot whiter than other ideal cuts...... around $21,000

what do you think... stick with my 2.00 vs1/ G color $21,560 or go with theirs? Do you think their cut is unique with more fire?

Cynthia
rolleyes.gif

Cynthia...I think you have done well in your search.. Buying a diamond a personal choice...

With the priorities you and I have discussed earlier in the thread I think you have made the right decision.

As far as Eightstar...There are larger broader flahes of spectral color being returned to your eye, but there is a little trade off in scintillation and white light return...(My Opinion from what I have read and what I have observed in my Eightstar) They are unique in their own way just as other Super Ideals....

Do a quick pricesearch and for what your priorities are I think you have maximized your options....Personally at this point I think buying an Eightstar would kind of like buying the ring in the blue box...Eightstars are top notch performers, but I like the look of other Super Ideals cut differently..They seem to provide more intense light return vs. the broader flashes of color Eightstars provide...
twirl.gif

----------------

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Got it!! Thanks!!

My funds are almost clearing!!!

Can't wait...

Cynthia

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's interesting...8* is offering you a 2c I VS for $21k? Josh, doesn't that seem somewhat low? From what I have seen of 8*'s at the store, their markup was around 40% over regular H&A....much more $$ typically than anything online.

BTW I would take a same size G over an I anyday....if the cuts are comparable. My two cents
2.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 12/3/2003 1:12:41 AM Mara wrote:

That's interesting...8* is offering you a 2c I VS for $21k? Josh, doesn't that seem somewhat low? From what I have seen of 8*'s at the store, their markup was around 40% over regular H&A....much more $$ typically than anything online.

BTW I would take a same size G over an I anyday....if the cuts are comparable. My two cents
2.gif

----------------

Mara...Actually the stone they offered her for $21000.00 is a 2ct. i/vs2..

Comparatively other i/vs2 Super Ideal Hearts and arrows stones with some of the finest optics run from 14,000-15,000.00..With this in mind it puts the mark up at around 40%...

So no it doesn't seem low to me
9.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
oh, by the way, I didn't mention this... cuz I want to keep the ring so badly.... When my mother's birthday comes up, I want to give this ring to her as a birthday present.

hehe,, so i don't think she'll no the difference between the colors and all that stuff...

just kidding...~~!!

but I'm sure she'll love it. Because she has never bought herself a luxury gift...

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think thats a lovely gesture..Cynthia...(You will know the ring will carry the sentiment it deserves)...
21.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thx Josh....

So the I to G jump really carries an extra $6k markup? Amazing...

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/2/2003 2:18:50 PM barbug408 wrote:

Hey, Princess~~
4.gif

Yeah, I feel like a nut.... But I'm soooo excited!! I have some kind of confidence that it'll be better than a Tiffany & CO. ring displayed in showcase... but somehow, I have a fear that I'll be disappointed also...

----------------

I didn't mention that I got 1.1 on HCA for your ring. Was that clear? No worries, your ring should be a knockout! I don't think you could be disappointed. I would have been disappointed if I had to keep the Tiffany stones! Have you seen Tiffany stones outside the case? Much less firey than under the little spot halogens they have.

Yes, mine was a promise ring from my boyfriend.
1.gif

I think that's wonderful of you to give the ring to your mom.
appl.gif
She's so lucky!! When is her birthday? I'm getting excited for your mom already! Keep us posted on her reaction, okay?
1.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
princess~~

Yeah, I redid.. the HCA ... 1.1 ..

3.gif

Do you have a pic of your ring?

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
I know this is annoying ,.... but I need some inputs on this ring:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/3_05ct_j_si2__h%26a.htm

it's a 3.06 carat and cheaper than the one I last decided. BUT it's a "J" color. and a SI-2 clarity. But GOG says it's one of the less noticeable inclusions. Christen says if she looks at it real close tilting it in a certain way under the light, she will see a spec. What do you guys think?

Please help!! Need some input on the "J" color which is really my main concern. I'm really torn between these two rings while I'm waiting for my funds to clear.

Here's the one I had last decided on.:

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=290437&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

THank you all so so so much!

C

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
I do have pictures of my ring, but it's not quite finalized yet. It needs a bit of work still, so it was sent back. When all is said and done (near Christmas?), I will have pictures.
9.gif

Are you colour sensitive? If you go to a jewellry store and view similar cuts, can you tell the J from the colourless (D-F) apart? I guess colour isn't an issue if you can't tell which stone it is when they aren't side by side. I don't think the inclusion is noticable unless you specifically look for it. Would it bother you?

sad.gif
I'm a bit useless on the angles part. I haven't been able to get the sarin viewer to work properly for the GOG stone. Can someone else comment here?

The stone you decided on looks just lovely on the BS for colour
love.gif
and the angles are very sweet too.

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
As an aside, the feedback reaction of my non-Tiffany was very favourable. With the *nicer* Tiffany stone of the Tiffany stones (D, VVS1), it was "nice", inspected from about six inches away. With my present stone, I held it out for the same person, at arms length, in direct window light and wiggled my fingers. She squealed with delight and begged me to do it again. The colours were amazing! Later on that same day, she asked me to do it a third time. I stop by sunlit windows frequently.
9.gif
See, Cynthia? No worries!

djoyal

Rough_Rock
I too started out wanting a diamond from Tiffany's. After much reading and observation I went with a Superbcert and am very pleased with the decision (and $'s saved). I have not checked it out in lighting such as the stores have, but I can tell already that it is a fireball. Amazing colors and flashes coming out of it, even with very little light in the room. My initial take is that it exceeds any other diamond I have seen in person. I will be writing and taking more pictures later on down the road, but here is a one of my first efforts.

sc5a.jpg

djoyal

Rough_Rock
One more blurry one, but look at the color even without a flash. I have become addicted and can hardly wait to try this in better light.
21.gif

sc6.jpg

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
ohmygod!! That is awsome!

what are the specs of your ring?????

barbug

djoyal

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I have been checking it out under different kinds of light and continue to get more impressed by the moment. It is really most impressive in a candlelit room or close to my computer monitor in a dark room. Here are the specs:

1.04 Carat, VS1, I Color
Diameter 6.57
Depth 60.9%
Crown Angle 34.1%
Crown Height 14.6%
Pavil Angle 41%
Pavil Depth 43.2
Culet .5
Table Size 55.7%
Girdle 1.4%
Faint Fluoresence

To my great relief the I color has not been an issue at all, it looks fantastic. These pictures do not do it justice, I will look forward to leaving the gloomy weather of Oregon and getting some nice bright daylight pictures. As a side note, Barry at Superbcert has been fantastic to deal with, even after the sale.

Off to Hawaii for the proposal!

djoyal

Rough_Rock
Thought this one was kind of fun. I can almost see weird reflections of my computer room in there. It was fun whipping it out at the mall today after the salesperson had just finished ripping online dealers. All he could say is "oooh, that is a nice one".

sc9a.jpg

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
wow! It does look great! So your lady has not seen the ring yet? Boy!! She's going to love it! You know how girls are about diamonds!!

When will you be proposing?

barbug
4.gif

djoyal

Rough_Rock
Leaving for Hawaii in about 7 hours, if all goes well the proposal should happen there. She has not seen the ring, but does know way too much. I can hardly wait!

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
WISH YOU THE BEST!!! IT'S GOING TO BE GREAT!!

I CAN IMAGINE HOW YOU'RE FEELING RIGHT NOW... AND EVERYTIME YOU LOOK AT HER.

21.gif
appl.gif

Barbug

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
djoyal, Nice Ring!!
wink2.gif

whitediamonds

Rough_Rock
Congratz on your ring !
J is not white enough.. go for the other one..
LOVE
WHITE DIAMONDS!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results