shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I discipline my overly aggressive cat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
We use the water squirter, our cats are terrified of it!

I just wanted to add that Emma is gorgeous!
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absolutely adorable! Whenever our cats are up to no good, my husband hisses at them. lol

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 11:31:40 PM
Author: MC
Absolutely adorable! Whenever our cats are up to no good, my husband hisses at them. lol
Mine too! Too funny to hear a big tough guy hissing at a rowdy kitty. Two out of three listen to him when he does that; newbie boy cat doesn''t whatsoever.

Claire, I hope your Charlie responds to some of the ideas here. (Boy is he a bad boy cutie! He looks just like my mom''s naughty boy Buster.)

It does amaze me how willful cats can be. The boy cat, Rat, we have who misbehaved until he got his loverboy
20.gif
, is the most incredibly willful 6 lbs of trouble I''ve ever seen. You tell Rat "no" and he''ll be trying to do whatever it is you don''t want him to endlessly. If I have a water glass uncovered in the bedroom and he spots it, he''ll try to dart in there for about a WEEK to knock it over. Usuallly the only solution is to move the water, then show him that it''s gone. Open windows are also impossible. He''ll obsess and obsess until you finally shut the window, because otherwise you''ll be hauling him out from behind the blinds every two minutes, and he''ll keep doing it over, and over, and over- the human always loses this game and shuts the window long before the cat gets tired of climbing up there. (He breaks the blinds trying to crawl behind them, which is why he isn''t allowed to do it.)

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 4:04:22 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten

Mine too! Too funny to hear a big tough guy hissing at a rowdy kitty. Two out of three listen to him when he does that; newbie boy cat doesn''t whatsoever.

Claire, I hope your Charlie responds to some of the ideas here. (Boy is he a bad boy cutie! He looks just like my mom''s naughty boy Buster.)

It does amaze me how willful cats can be. The boy cat, Rat, we have who misbehaved until he got his loverboy
20.gif
, is the most incredibly willful 6 lbs of trouble I''ve ever seen. You tell Rat ''no'' and he''ll be trying to do whatever it is you don''t want him to endlessly. If I have a water glass uncovered in the bedroom and he spots it, he''ll try to dart in there for about a WEEK to knock it over. Usuallly the only solution is to move the water, then show him that it''s gone. Open windows are also impossible. He''ll obsess and obsess until you finally shut the window, because otherwise you''ll be hauling him out from behind the blinds every two minutes, and he''ll keep doing it over, and over, and over- the human always loses this game and shuts the window long before the cat gets tired of climbing up there. (He breaks the blinds trying to crawl behind them, which is why he isn''t allowed to do it.)
OMG. LGK, I love his name...Rat LMAO
9.gif

The water glass obsession is so funny. When we got our first kittens we read that cats want a large vessel for thier drinking water so that their whiskers are not touched by the sides, and how the water should be aired for a day so that any smells dissipate. So we did all this and they never drank.

But....they are obsessed with our night-time glass of water. It is like cat-nip. They follow me upstairs and wait until I put it on the bedside. Then the little tinkers jump up and drink from the glass - which barely fits their head. Oh and it does not work to only 1/2 fill the glass - they just dip their paws in and suck off the water.
20.gif

Cats - gotta love ''em!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 10:48:16 PM
Author: Dannielle
We use the water squirter, our cats are terrified of it!

I just wanted to add that Emma is gorgeous!
1.gif
Aw thank you! I do love my Emma Kitty. She is the first cat that I ever really liked. I spent years of my childhood scared out of my mind of cats because my Aunt''s cat was completely out of its mind and used to attack people all the time (and she had claws). She was actually on valium for a little while (whenever my Aunt could get it into her, that is) but I''m not sure it helped.

When Charlie went to jump and bite me last night I grabbed the water bottle and let him have it. It certainly discouraged him from coming near me for a little bit.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 8:33:02 AM
Author: Steel

20.gif
, is the most incredibly willful 6 lbs of trouble I''ve ever seen. You tell Rat ''no'' and he''ll be trying to do whatever it is you don''t want him to endlessly. If I have a water glass uncovered in the bedroom and he spots it, he''ll try to dart in there for about a WEEK to knock it over. Usuallly the only solution is to move the water, then show him that it''s gone. Open windows are also impossible. He''ll obsess and obsess until you finally shut the window, because otherwise you''ll be hauling him out from behind the blinds every two minutes, and he''ll keep doing it over, and over, and over- the human always loses this game and shuts the window long before the cat gets tired of climbing up there. (He breaks the blinds trying to crawl behind them, which is why he isn''t allowed to do it.)
9.gif

The water glass obsession is so funny. When we got our first kittens we read that cats want a large vessel for thier drinking water so that their whiskers are not touched by the sides, and how the water should be aired for a day so that any smells dissipate. So we did all this and they never drank.

But....they are obsessed with our night-time glass of water. It is like cat-nip. They follow me upstairs and wait until I put it on the bedside. Then the little tinkers jump up and drink from the glass - which barely fits their head. Oh and it does not work to only 1/2 fill the glass - they just dip their paws in and suck off the water.
20.gif

Cats - gotta love ''em!
Charlie is extremely willful. He reminds me of a yo-yo sometimes. Just keeps coming back...

Emma is pretty darn obsessed with glasses of anything. She will dip her paw in there and lap away. I know better than to take a sip of water from a glass that has been out of my site when Emma is prowling. Charlie has no finesse with the water glass drinking. He will try to lodge his whole head in there and end up knocking it over. Thankfully we have an abundance of glasses so the few he has broken haven''t really affected us. When Charlie was a kitten he would often get almost his entire body into one of FI''s big pint glasses. No wonder he always smelled like beer.

I''ve posted about Charlie''s brilliance before in this thread about how he locks himself in rooms. I actually watched him do it recently when I was using the bathroom and he followed me in there through a fairly narrow opening in the doorway. When he tried to turn around and leave I don''t think he was convinced he could fit through so he stood up on his hind legs and PUSHED THE DOOR CLOSED. What an idiot.
41.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 2:40:02 PM
Author: Clairitek

Date: 2/26/2009 2:25:00 PM
Author: Elmorton
Our vet suggested a tap on the nose, and though I didn''t like it, I tried it, and it only made his reaction worse (this didn''t surprise me in the least).
I''ve heard this and I''ve also heard about a flick on the ear. When I do try the flick on the ear he normally tries to bite my hand or I miss and flick him in the side of the face.

Has anyone else read how if you want to swat your kitty you should use a rolled up newspaper or magazine? This way they won''t associate your hands with a source of discomfort, allegedly.
I''ve had to employ the rolled up newspaper approach a few times. Use a very small section so that it is lightweigt and completely unharmful to the kitty. It is the noise, and the indignity of being smacked that they will not like; it does have a way of keeping them out of trouble. If my own Emma is being a pain in the . . . . just the act of my rolling the paper will change her attitude!
28.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 4:59:05 PM
A semi-recent glamour shot. You can see he has bulked up a lot. Check out those fangs that don''t even fit in his mouth!
OMG!!! He is TOO CUTE!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 8:20:00 AM
Author: Lorelei

A semi-recent glamour shot. You can see he has bulked up a lot. Check out those fangs that don''t even fit in his mouth!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Heh... cute because he was sleeping.
41.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 8:33:02 AM
Author: Steel

Mine too! Too funny to hear a big tough guy hissing at a rowdy kitty. Two out of three listen to him when he does that; newbie boy cat doesn't whatsoever.

Claire, I hope your Charlie responds to some of the ideas here. (Boy is he a bad boy cutie! He looks just like my mom's naughty boy Buster.)

20.gif
, is the most incredibly willful 6 lbs of trouble I've ever seen. You tell Rat 'no' and he'll be trying to do whatever it is you don't want him to endlessly. If I have a water glass uncovered in the bedroom and he spots it, he'll try to dart in there for about a WEEK to knock it over. Usuallly the only solution is to move the water, then show him that it's gone. Open windows are also impossible. He'll obsess and obsess until you finally shut the window, because otherwise you'll be hauling him out from behind the blinds every two minutes, and he'll keep doing it over, and over, and over- the human always loses this game and shuts the window long before the cat gets tired of climbing up there. (He breaks the blinds trying to crawl behind them, which is why he isn't allowed to do it.)
9.gif

20.gif

Cats - gotta love 'em!
What *is* it with the water glasses? I actually just finally changed their water bowl to one of our glasses because they all wanted it so badly. I've also read that cats want water that's sat for 24 hours, but I guess the don't read the same websites I do- they never got the memo, and prefer their water to be refilled right before drinking. I don't get it! Sonar (girl kitty) is sometimes a bit slooooow, and will sometimes forget how to drink from any container. She'll just knock it over and then drink from the puddle. Sigh. I've seen Rat bap her upside the head for doing that, actually.

Rat started life as Rascal when he was 6 weeks old. Our so-unpleasant roommate at the time nicknamed him (this eensy little fuzzball of a kitten!) "Rat Skull". Horrible. Utterly inappropriate. Infuriating. Of course it stuck.
20.gif
He hasn't been called Rascal by anyone except the vet since he was a kitten; he's always The Rat or Ratling to me (or less flattering epithets on occaision
2.gif
). He also says "rat" a lot, it's his chatty noise... if he's feeling chipper it is sometimes "mmrrrat", but usually just "rat!". He's very vocal; you can talk to him and he'll say "rat" back to you pretty much endlessly.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 8:54:26 PM

Date: 3/1/2009 8:20:00 AM
Author: Lorelei

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Heh... cute because he was sleeping.
41.gif
face23.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Not only does Charlie have a penchant for water glasses (as does Emma) but he is also a compulsive faucet and tub licker. He waits until you turn around after you have exited the tub to slip behind the shower curtain and start licking away.
14.gif

He also licks up the puddles of water from melted snow that gets tracked into the house.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 2:50:13 PM
Not only does Charlie have a penchant for water glasses (as does Emma) but he is also a compulsive faucet and tub licker. He waits until you turn around after you have exited the tub to slip behind the shower curtain and start licking away.
14.gif

He also licks up the puddles of water from melted snow that gets tracked into the house.
How is young Charles???
30.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hi C-Tek - I''m late to this thread, but just wanted to chime in. First, Charlie is darling - what a cutie pie, I just love black kitties
30.gif
30.gif
That kitten picture is priceless
30.gif

I wanted to just add a couple of quick pieces of info - the first is that you shouldn''t worry about him having been fixed. If anything, it would make him more mellow than he would have been if he''d been left intact, and all the studies I''ve ever seen say that with kittens there isn''t any significant harm in spaying/neutering quite young. In fact, it can help prevent the development of certain cancers as well as undesirable behaviors such as marking and straying.

The second is that I wanted to echo Steel on this being a really common issue at this age. For all three of my kitties, they started a wild phase around 6-9 months and didn''t really grow out of it until they were about 18 months old - the girls grew out of it quicker than our boy kitty, but I think all kitties have this adolescent period. One thing we found could help, in addition to discipline, is wearing kitty out. If he''ll go for a laser pointer, that''s a great way to do it - just run him up and down stairs or a long hallway until he gets worn out - a tired kitty is a good kitty
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results