shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you transform from hoarder to minimalist?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom had some hoarder tendencies. I didn't like that growing up so I am kind of a minimalistic neat freak when it comes to my house. But.... I have one dresser full of pearls and baubles and the trunk of my car has too much stuff. I think I am a sneaky hoarder. So maybe the apple didn't fall too far from the tree but I can keep my hoarding tendencies contained in one dresser and one car trunk. For others maybe it can be just one closet or one room of the house.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My dear Mother was incapable of throwing anything out . She didn't hoard and was very tidy, but kept everything! My DH and DS are the same--but in their cases I think it is laziness to clean up. Just easier if I do it and I toss everything!!!

cheers--Sharon

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I blame the trend of stuffing as many plastic shopping bags into a cloth holder, that then got shoved into a closet, towards contributing to any hoarding tendencies in the 80’s and 90’s kids.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I blame the trend of stuffing as many plastic shopping bags into a cloth holder, that then got shoved into a closet, towards contributing to any hoarding tendencies in the 80’s and 90’s kid

lol. :saint: :wavey:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I blame the trend of stuffing as many plastic shopping bags into a cloth holder, that then got shoved into a closet, towards contributing to any hoarding tendencies in the 80’s and 90’s kids.

and 70's kids. My grandparents saved everything, so did my parents! and those are depression era hold overs. I do save plastic bags but I do actually use them (in my defense I use them to pick up yard poop from the dogs, dropped fruit from the trees and trash bags for the bathrooms)

And guess what? I needed a freaking box to mail something for tomorrow...all those boxes are gone. :doh:Why do I do this to myself?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian, I save the produce bags (since plastic shopping bags were outlawed in CT) for when I scoop the cat box. So, I have a basket full of them but It beats having to buy bags.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Arcadian, I save the produce bags (since plastic shopping bags were outlawed in CT) for when I scoop the cat box. So, I have a basket full of them but It beats having to buy bags.

we get our groceries delevered and they come in smallish handled paper bags that are somewhat strong
i usually use them all up by the next shop, just kitchen rubbish as we dont use a rubbish bin in the kitchen also after cleaning cat dirt box

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds, you are very resourceful and the fact that you use them all by the next time you get a delivery is very smart.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds, you are very resourceful and the fact that you use them all by the next time you get a delivery is very smart.

mum never had a kitchen tidy
she just wrapped the rubbish up in newspaper and took it straight out to the ashtin (what we called what Oscer the Grouch lives in)

i only do it once a day
leaky tea bags make a mess sometimes but it washes up

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
In the spirit of this thread, does anyone else get all their Goodwill donations together, put them in the car and drive around with them for months?

If not, please disregard :???:

3 months I have been driving with a backseat of folded towels for the local family shelter. Check.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MMtwo at least you got them in the car!

For the past few weeks I've had two bags of clothing for Good Will sitting on my couch -- I move them into my bedroom before people come over and then I move them back on the couch when they leave lol -- I've got a family member spending the weekend on that couch in 2 weeks so this week's goal is to actually bring them out to the car and drop them off -- I think I'll do it :lol:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I now feel determined to follow through, but now feel like pulling them out and re-washing them because of some mind-clean need.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Dropped off a car trunk full of stuff this week and just as much went into the trash. I hope to start clearing out whenever I clean and just not have the clutter pile up anymore.

Why am I snickering to myself right now, thinking "Yeah, right?" :lol-2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Those donation boxes (taken away during covid) are resurfacing again--just saw one in the Safeway parking lot...and I am always at Safeway. Dropped stuff off twice this week!

Also the Goodwill drop off is near to my fav bakery--incentive!!!!

cheers--Sharon

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing that has really helped a path towards being neater is to reduce the horizontal surfaces in the house. This is easier said that done but if there isn’t an easy space for things to get tossed onto, then that is less to cleanup. Unfortunately we do have a coffee table that the youngest tends to take over with Lego creations and such, better than dirty socks though :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
One thing that has really helped a path towards being neater is to reduce the horizontal surfaces in the house. This is easier said that done but if there isn’t an easy space for things to get tossed onto, then that is less to cleanup. Unfortunately we do have a coffee table that the youngest tends to take over with Lego creations and such, better than dirty socks though :lol-2:

lego better on the coffee table than the floor ! ouch !

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I’m a bit of a hoarder and my husband is a purger. So he tends to haul bagfuls of stuff to goodwill without my knowledge…while I’m at work. One place he does not touch is my closet (thank God), but if I’m looking for say roller skates I had in the early 2000’s for a costume party, it is likely gone, unless I kept it in my closet. Therefore the solution to my decluttering is my minimalist husband.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results