shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you become so smart ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
... about gems? Do you work in the biz? Read alot of ps? Trial and error? Just always loved sparkles? How do you know so much?

mus

Shiny_Rock
Started with buying a lot of inexpensive stones on ebay.
Reading books and PS.
Now, only buying good gems.

There is one rule:
most of the time, cheap price = cheap gemstone

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Sadly the converse is not always true... high price doesn''t always mean high quality stone.

One fun suggestion I would have would be to visit a museum that has a gem exhibit so you can see with your eyes what are prime examples of different stones. Of course you cant really handle the stones or look at them in differing light but I think that a strong frame of reference is key for buying good stones.

If possible I would then shift to a gem show but the first few times I''d make sure to have a significant other hold the checkbook nice and tight... too easy to get carried away in the moment and its terribly difficult to try to return something in that situation. Also take note what various vendors both in real life and online are charging for the type, color, cut, size stone you are after and so when a good deal does pop up, you will be ready to make an informed buying decision! Good luck
10.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I''m a beginner. I''ve read alot of the archived threads on PS for the stone types I''m interested in. I''ve checked out vendor sites that have education sections to learn about different gems. I''ve only made 2 colored stone purchases and I''m happy with both.

HTH

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I am SO smart yet, but lots and lots of reading.. looking at lots of stones! All of these things help to develop your eye.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2009 4:56:05 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
Sadly the converse is not always true... high price doesn't always mean high quality stone.

One fun suggestion I would have would be to visit a museum that has a gem exhibit so you can see with your eyes what are prime examples of different stones. Of course you cant really handle the stones or look at them in differing light but I think that a strong frame of reference is key for buying good stones.

If possible I would then shift to a gem show but the first few times I'd make sure to have a significant other hold the checkbook nice and tight... too easy to get carried away in the moment and its terribly difficult to try to return something in that situation. Also take note what various vendors both in real life and online are charging for the type, color, cut, size stone you are after and so when a good deal does pop up, you will be ready to make an informed buying decision! Good luck
10.gif
How true!!!

Speaking of museums, not all of them have nice gems. The Chicago Field Museum gem collection is ptitful IMHO.
14.gif
I like the meteorites though.
31.gif

Sorry to get off track!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of museums, if you''re ever in Pittsburgh, I seem to remember the Carnegie Museum of Natural History having a lovely exhibit of minerals and gemstones :) I spend a lot of time there as a kid, but don''t remember too much of it now, lol.

I''m very much still a novice, but I enjoyed Secrets of the Gem trade by RW, and of course just hanging around PS reading various threads has been very educational! The closest I''ve come to being at a gem show is going to Thai gem markets as a little kid when I lived there for 2 years, all I remember is that it was very pretty, my mom picked up some things, but I was too young to really be that into the science of gems back then.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
I guess I was spoiled... I was envisioned the Natural History Museums in DC (Smithsonian) and NYC
12.gif

Meteorites are WAY cool... I have a nice pendant and knife (letter opener) made out of the stuff... it is a form of crystalized metal and its gray... thus it should be posted in the Colored Stones forum
31.gif

Date: 5/30/2009 8:10:31 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

How true!!!

Speaking of museums, not all of them have nice gems. The Chicago Field Museum gem collection is ptitful IMHO.
14.gif
I like the meteorites though.
31.gif

Sorry to get off track!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of reading and seeing lots of varying quality of gemstones in person. A fun way is museums, gemshows and high end jewellery stores. It's going to take some time though - it'll help train the eye and expand your knowledge.

Yes, cheap price usually begets cheap stones but not always. Just the same, an expensive gem doesn't necessarily mean it's a fine quality gemstone either.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I don''t feel very smart when it comes to gems. I know lots more that most but am, by no means, an expert [yet
9.gif
].

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2009 9:59:33 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
I guess I was spoiled... I was envisioned the Natural History Museums in DC (Smithsonian) and NYC
12.gif

Meteorites are WAY cool... I have a nice pendant and knife (letter opener) made out of the stuff... it is a form of crystalized metal and its gray... thus it should be posted in the Colored Stones forum
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
3.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I still know nothing but the experts on this forum helped a lot. I honestly don''t think I could have gotten some of my favorite stones without PS! I would have still been buying expensive crappy stones!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2009 10:19:07 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
I don''t feel very smart when it comes to gems. I know lots more that most but am, by no means, an expert [yet
9.gif
].
Well, I like your taste in gems!
30.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I shot these pictures several years ago at the Natural History Museum in London. I only had a small point and shoot camera, and had to use the flash. While the collection was large, many of the stones were lower quality, and for the most part look like the Queen bought them in India 150 years ago. Pretty poor very crude cutting. But interesting!

DSCN0229.JPG

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
That''s neat Gene, thanks.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most of the stones had labels, it''s hard to make them out, but on the original photo in full size they can be read. There were also uncut stones, and mineral samples. A very nice collection of rough emeralds.

DSCN0232.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hey, number 52 is missing!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The emeralds look fabulous! I wonder if they''ll notice one itty bitty one missing?
27.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 10:49:28 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
I also ran into this pretty large collection of rocks.
Bwah hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2009 11:49:01 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Bwah hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don''t think they''ll fit on my finger though.
9.gif
Not to mention the colour is suspect but at least they are untreated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They need precision faceting!!
11.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well Bookworm, since you don''t sound like someone who would mind reading, I''d suggest just reading a lot for starters. There are even free books online, free gemology e-courses, and not to mention all the gem buying guides (just by typing "gemstone buying guide" into Google will get you a zillion results). Then there are articles, online issues of magazines, fashion/jewellery blogs, PS, Youtube, online vendors (try sorting gems by price and comparing the most expensive ones with the least expensive ones to get the idea of what''s desirable), etc., etc. Hope this helps
2.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 10:50:46 PM
Author: cellentani
Hey, number 52 is missing!!!!
Well, if I read the label correctly, it says "Banana", so it probably went off after a while in the case.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Would you bezel those or 6 prong?????

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock

How would you set those??? Bezel, 6 prong ......so much to learn! Thanks for the replies so far. I am just blown away by the "smarty-pants" on this forum!!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I love gemstones and jewelry so I take the time to find out more about them before I make any purchase, afterall, they are not cheap so I think consumers ought to know more about the items that they are purchasing. I am still a beginner after all these years of buying jewelry, I don''t go too deep into the technical details. When in doubt, I post my question on pricescope and a lot of lovely and knowledgeable people here will be able to advise.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I don''t consider myself the smartest on gemstones, but have learned a lot in the last year. I have read the old posts on this site, educational articles on other sites, as well as the RW wise book. I have also done a lot of window shopping to see some high end colored stones. I think Rodeo drive is the first place I saw some nice examples of colored stones. I kind of imprinted those in my head and use them as comparison points when looking at stones I can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results