shape
carat
color
clarity

How common are colors other than yellow in g-k diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is atleast one blue j here that I know of.

How common are they and what colors are out there?

Do they cost more over other simular color grade diamonds?

I think a blue K would be awesome white with a hint of blue.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah... only it would likely be called "faint blue" and priced as a D color
1.gif

Not common... these colors depend on the type of diamond, so you could take the stats about type II diamonds as a first approximation. Not all those would be "bueish" or "graish" so I'd bet on some (small) single digit percentage.

Wasn't PQ saying that her "J" is "graish" ?
rolleyes.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Was it PQ Collectibles that has the J cut from the blue undertoned rough? How does one go about finding out what the undertone in the rough was that your diamond was cut from? Would it be mere speculation at this point, or is there a definitive way to know for sure? Great question, Storm.

Shay

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
colors other than yellow and brown are not graded on the d-z scale, at least by gia. a j-equivalent blue would be graded "faint blue," not a letter grade.

to answer the main question, colors other than yellow and brown are very rare.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 5/24/2004 1:21:37 AM strmrdr wrote:

There is atleast one blue j here that I know of.

How common are they and what colors are out there?

Do they cost more over other simular color grade diamonds?

I think a blue K would be awesome white with a hint of blue.

----------------

It sounds as though strmrdr is referring to Blue Flourescence.
If that's the question , I don't know of a survey but I'd say about 15-20% of J color diamonds show faint- strong blue flouresence.
But this is a guess - does anyone know if there are stats?

I've seen grey as a quantifying color. THe difference between say, Fancy Blue, VS Fancy Grey Blue is huge ( the pure blue being much more valuable)

I've also seen Fancy Grey Diamonds- not really my cuo of tea- not a lot of sparkle.

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
I think this is what STRMRD was talking about. I know she's mentioned it before and here is a quote by pqcollectibles from this (J color in very open setting) thread :

"My J was cut from bluish hue diamond rough."

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was trying to remember where I read about diamonds with different color traces... here it is:

"By definition, masters are supposed to lie only in the Cape series (yellow series, Type 1a), but again, nothing in nature is 100% perfect. So while GTL will reject stones with obvious color contaminants, subtle contaminants (such as browns, grays or greens) might still get through. Due to Australian production, many stones mined today contain a significant brown component. Stones in this brown family are particularly difficult to grade against Cape series yellow masters."

part of THIS article you may or may not enjoy.

Are gray diamonds "fancy" ? Since light gray are so light and "faint gray" no one bothers to call names (I made up the "faint gray" wording, never heard it) taking the citation above for good would mean that ever-so-slight but not yellowish pieces might pass by with low color grades "GIA style". Arguably, the whole range of colorless could exist with any overtone, but if not Cape type, these would be too few and far between to warrant more than a PS thread, I suppose. If one chooses to define “colorless” diamonds as devoid of yellow tint, these slight-something-else sound great. No one cared to stigmatize them yet
2.gif

read.gif
Here's a quick account of these "other" types and tints (LINK). ALJ might want to tell us whether her diamond works as electric conductor or not !

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was asking about actual color not Flourescence.
Magnum is right its pqcollectibles' diamond that prompted the question.

Her diamond being rated a j it made me curious if the trace colored ones ie: g-j/k range were more common and if there was a price premium for them.
I figured and by the sounds of it incurrectly that they would be too light colored to carry a fancy color price tag.
I wasnt sure so I asked :}
thanks everyone for the replies.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 5/24/2004 10:43:44 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

Capt, is the gray series described by the GIA D-Z scale?
----------------

grey diamonds are graded d-j. if there is more color than a j, it's fancy grey.

grading fancy colors is tricky and should be left to experts who have a lot of experience with them. for obvious reasons, masterstone sets are not easy to come by (imagine what a set of fancy blue masterstones would cost).

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Yep, my J color diamond has a bluish tint to it. Maybe a blue-grey color???? But definitely more blue than grey. When laid on a piece of white paper, you can see the tint thru the pavillion.

Before taking the plunge to go with a J color diamond, I had a very long chat with Brian Gavin. I didn't really want a yellow or brown looking 1.25 carat diamond set in platinum. And, Brian knew I would not be happy if this diamond was yellow or brown looking in any way. Brian spent a great deal of time explaining the color grading process to me in terms of hue saturation. The more saturated the hue, the higher the color grade. Brian also told me he's seen diamond rough in a whole range of colors/hues. Yellow and brown are the most common, but Brian said he's also seen a whole range of tints in diamond rough. How often colors other than yellow and brown are seen,..... I don't know.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results