shape
carat
color
clarity

J color in very open setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello:

Hope this question hasn''t been covered before--if so, apologizing in advance
saint.gif

My question revolves around how a stone of J color might appear in a very open setting; is it possible that it might "face up" white, but appear less so when viewing from the side in a very open setting? Would this be a moot point if the stone is a "very well cut"?
Up until now I have been considering oval or RB stones in the 3-5CTW range, well cut, J color & SI1 (to save $); but the setting I want is high and very open. With much of the stone exposed, should I be looking to increase the color to an H or I, lest the stone should look "yellow" from another angle? Hope this makes sense.
confused.gif

cheers

Sharon

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
I have a J colour Regent with strong blue fluor in a very open, high 4 prong setting. I cannot see any hint of yellow, not even when viewing it pavilion down.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Unless the diamond is blue or white UV fluorescent, it will look a tiny bit off-white to my eyes at an accurate J color grade. If the J is a slightly fudged (liberal) grade, then it will look a bit more colored yet.

Diamonds with moderate to strong blue UV fluorescence can trick the eye on color grade when they are in a lighting environment that contains UV. They will revert to whatever their actual body color is if little or no UV is present. Sometimes that lighting is off-white and one can't begin to estimate the actual diamond color grade in that lighting anyway. Even a D color will not look totally colorless is yellowish lighting.

Ovals, and many other fancy shapes, tend to intensify body color in certain zones. Rounds tend to make the appearance more evenly distributed. It is easier to mask J color in a round than any other shape.

YOU are the one who needs to closely look at the diamond in both sparkly store blue lighting, outside in daylight and also in standard cool white lighting, such as found at home or in most offices. There may be quite an observable difference in different lighting environments and there may be little that bothers you at all. It is not a simple decision, and is up to YOU.

A fine cut diamond, with lots of life and sparkles, is harder to immediately notice body color in that a lifeless, window pane diamond. This is more true with rounds than any fancy shape. Your eyes are taken by the glitter and it is difficult to do two things at one time with the eyes. If you tone down the sparkle with diffused, non-UV containing, lighting, you may have more of a chance to analyze the body color of the stone.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Well, there's no absolute answer to your question: some J's, like tomatoe's and PQcollectibles, look really bright and white front to back, others show a little yellow or brown tint... And it depends a lot on the observer: some folks are very sensitive to color, other are not. One important point is, in your case, the ct weight you're considering: 3-5ct is quite an important size and color will be much more evident than in a 1-1.5carater. It also depends on your shape choice: a J colored oval WILL show some color --especially on the edges--, while a J color H&A diamond may hid the yellow hue better and face up really nicely. I strongly advise you to get a stone with at least medium blue fluorescence, which could help the diamond's face up in mostt light conditions.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I have a gorgeous J color ACA from White Flash set in platinum. When I've told jewelers it's J color, I get the "You gotta be kidding!" look. If I put it side by side against a F/G/H color diamond, you can see a slight difference. Standing alone, there is no noticible color to my diamond.

Whether or not to go J color depends on several variables. Your eye. Every person's color sensitivity is different. The presence or lack of fluorescence. The quality of the make, CUT. The hue of the rough the diamond was cut from. Diamond rough comes in a variety of shades. Lots of diamonds have a yellowish or brownish tint. My J was cut from bluish hue diamond rough.

If you find the right J that suits you, you can maximize your budget. J color diamonds offer great bang for the buck!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results