shape
carat
color
clarity

How come you guys bash.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BleedingGem

Rough_Rock
Topaz????

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think people are bashing topaz in general, just the cheap-looking coated/treated ones. FWIW, I actually like mystic fire topaz. But most people on this forum tend to prefer naturally colored gems over treated ones.

BleedingGem

Rough_Rock
thank you for your input...

i just bought a reallly nice flamingo topaz and i''m scared to post about it because of the topaz bashing i see alot of....

i like mystic also btw...
21.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some topaz that is natural in color is very nice, such as imperial topaz in red and pink colors. I just have a problem with electron and neutron bombardment in my gems, or gem coatings. Most topaz on the market is treated in either manner.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 12:18:29 AM
Author: BleedingGem
thank you for your input...

i just bought a reallly nice flamingo topaz and i''m scared to post about it because of the topaz bashing i see alot of....

i like mystic also btw...
21.gif

Post it anyway! I bet people will think it''s pretty even if it''s not their personal style.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don''t bash it! I love it, both natural and irradiated. I only mind treatments that have the potential of wearing off, thus not a huge fan of coated topaz. But I love precious, imperial, and irradiated blue topazes - in fact I just bought myself a huge round blue. Everyone''s treatment threshold is going to be different - if you love it, that''s good enough!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I like topaz. I have a swiss blue concave cut topaz that I really like. I don''t think people here bash topaz, they (we?) just bash certain treatments. The same is true for sapphires or any other stone.
Post pics.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I think the treated topaz are fun, but tacky. Except Chernobyl blue topaz, which I actively dislike. I am okay with heat treating a gem to make it pretty, but if it needs as drastic measures as irradiation or beryllium treatment, the gem loses its charm for me.

Untreated topaz I have nothing against, but it doesn''t wow me - probably because it has poor dispersion and covers a range of colours that don''t particularly appeal to me. Sapphire and spinel do pink way better than topaz in my book, and after seeing a fiery spessartite, I simply don''t think orange topaz has much to offer.

But if you love topaz, buy away! And be thankful that there is at least one member here who doesn''t contribute to raising the price of topaz.
2.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never seen anybody bashed about Topaz! Not sure where you''ve been looking. If people like it they should buy it.

However, the Topaz you''re talking about, Flamingo, Mystic, Twighlight etc etc have all been heavily coated. This forum has members who are gemstone and jewellery collectors. Many prefer more natural gemstones rather than treated stones that don''t have durability.

In actual fact untreated natural Topaz is sought after - but the price reflects that and you won''t be able to buy it in Malls or on jewellery shopping channels.

In all honesty, Topaz is the one gemstone that I truly hate. I have no affinty with it and I would rather spend my money on a natural gemstone that will last. That''s not bashing Topaz it''s purely my own opinion.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Personally, coatings (no matter what the base stone) is just too much treatment. To me, it is similar to BE diffused, but less lasting.

I do like natural topaz. I have a small pink that is very lovely, the natural blues are similar to light aquas and true imperals are breathtaking.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think there’s any bashing of any particular stones. Liking it or not is a personal preference. Most PSers just happen to prefer their stones to be untouched with only Mother Nature making it as she pleases which means they prefer their gemstones to be untampered with by humans, which means no coating (most topazes are coated), no irradiation (blue topaz, some pink tourmalines), no beryllium heating (colour is infused via very high heat), no lead glass or resin filling and the like. Some even refuse regular heating of sapphires/corundum but most are open to that as it rather common and accepted in the market today.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t bash a topaz (its never done anything to me). I don''t like coatings on stones, thats a personal thing though.

Untreated topaz are extremely lovely and much more my preference but I do have an irradiated stone though. No collection can be complete without at least 1
2.gif

While true, we do like to share our purchases and sometimes we share to get some feedback, ultimately, you''re the one that has to wear it and you''re the one that has to like it. I stress that all across this board. Because my opinion isn''t going to mean jack if you''re not happy with what you''ve bought.

Trust, I got plenty of stuff that dosen''t suit other''s tastes!

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an old citrine pendant with tiny white topazes and demantoids, and it is lovely. Now I do not buy topazes because a) imperial topaz is rare, expensive and in many times heated (and I prefere not to buy heated stones), and, b) because of the situation with irradiation. Mystic topaz had such a weird name and I never bought it just because it was sold everywhere, even at TJ Maxx, at low prices.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 9:23:19 AM
Author: Arcadian
I wouldn't bash a topaz (its never done anything to me). I don't like coatings on stones, thats a personal thing though.

Untreated topaz are extremely lovely and much more my preference but I do have an irradiated stone though. No collection can be complete without at least 1
2.gif

While true, we do like to share our purchases and sometimes we share to get some feedback, ultimately, you're the one that has to wear it and you're the one that has to like it. I stress that all across this board. Because my opinion isn't going to mean jack if you're not happy with what you've bought.

Trust, I got plenty of stuff that dosen't suit other's tastes!

-A
Arc - you're not telling me that I've got to buy one are you??????? Nooooooooooooooooo pleaaaasssseeeeeeeeeeee!
23.gif
9.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 12:49:16 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Date: 2/5/2010 9:23:19 AM
I wouldn''t bash a topaz (its never done anything to me). I don''t like coatings on stones, thats a personal thing though.

2.gif

While true, we do like to share our purchases and sometimes we share to get some feedback, ultimately, you''re the one that has to wear it and you''re the one that has to like it. I stress that all across this board. Because my opinion isn''t going to mean jack if you''re not happy with what you''ve bought.

Trust, I got plenty of stuff that dosen''t suit other''s tastes!

-A
Arc - you''re not telling me that I''ve got to buy one are you??????? Nooooooooooooooooo pleaaaasssseeeeeeeeeeee!
23.gif
9.gif
just make sure its reely reely tiny!
9.gif
. Its not that bad.

TL on the other hand I HEARD through the grapevine has a secret shrine decorated with humongus hunks of Mystic Topaz.
12.gif

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 1:22:15 PM
TL on the other hand I HEARD through the grapevine has a secret shrine decorated with humongus hunks of Mystic Topaz.
12.gif

-A
I don’t have any topazes either because the colours just aren’t up my alley. Hmmm....TL is awfully quiet this morning; she must be off checking her secret stash of Mystic Topaz.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 2:06:03 PM
Author: Chrono

12.gif

-A
I don’t have any topazes either because the colours just aren’t up my alley. Hmmm....TL is awfully quiet this morning; she must be off checking her secret stash of Mystic Topaz.
I believe TL has a bikini made from Azotic Coated Topaz.
36.gif
23.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 2:25:25 PM

12.gif

-A

36.gif
23.gif

Yikes! All those cutlets!
39.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

12.gif

-A
How did you know!!?
23.gif

. . . and you guys better keep your hands off my topaz bikini. Victoria''s Secret wanted to model it, but I said "no way!!." They chose to model that ugly diamond encrusted bra instead.
emsmilep.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I like Topaz too...the coated ones are not my cup of tea, but that''s OK, if you like it, get it! Just be knowledgeable about what you are getting.

Laura

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I happen to like topaz. I like the swiss blue, which I recently compared to pictures TL posted of paraiba tourmalines. My topaz is the color of top color paraibas. I enjoyed that very much. I now don''t need a paraiba. I also like some London blue topaz. I think the colors are great. If you don''t post your pictures we can''t admire your gemstone.

There are problably closet topaz lovers out there. Lets hear it for topaz.

Thanks,

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

12.gif

-A

36.gif
23.gif

You tend make certain associations basing on the name. I always imagined TL lying on a couch, lazily stroking tourmalines scattered in front of her...Topazes? They don't fit her.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 5:58:36 PM
Author: crasru

12.gif

-A

36.gif
23.gif

You tend make certain associations basing on the name. I always imagined TL lying on a couch, lazily stroking tourmalines scattered in front of her...Topazes? They don''t fit her.
Only because they don''t make Tourmaline''s small enough in a pear shape to fit her thong!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, now I feel like I need to do an extra hour on the Nordic Track today. LOL!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL read again! You''ll see you have to do LESS time on it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL lazes on the sofa lazily stroking tourmalines while LD lazes on the sofa lazily stroking diamonds.
11.gif
9.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noo...that is not how I imagine LD. I have been always viewing her in a silk dress, with decolletage and a huge diamond brooch (that is why I thought it was a brooch in your avatar!).

It is funny to imagine how people you have never seen look like just basing on their names and postings.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I actually like topaz, though I don''t have any of it right now. Especially the natural golden ones - very pretty!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 5:37:33 PM
Author: Largosmom
I like Topaz too...the coated ones are not my cup of tea, but that''s OK, if you like it, get it! Just be knowledgeable about what you are getting.

Laura
I feel the same. I like topaz and I don''t think people on PS bash topaz. I think you should buy what you like and I''d love to see pictures :)

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 5:58:36 PM
Author: crasru

You tend make certain associations basing on the name. I always imagined TL lying on a couch, lazily stroking tourmalines scattered in front of her...Topazes? They don''t fit her.
What an interesting picture I got in my head there! Based on that, I find myself wanting a new name on pricescope... How does tanzanite obsession sound?

Back on topic, a few pricescopers do seem to like topaz, but quite a few seem genuinely indifferent, and a few actually dislike topaz entirely. Topaz has far more detractors than, say, spinel, sapphire, or tourmaline - few categorically dismiss those minerals.

In another thread, monkeypie speculated that topaz is too inexpensive, too common, and too easy to find for pricescopers, who tend to be drawn towards the more awesome stuff.

For me, it is a complex issue. Why am I more drawn towards phenakite than colourless topaz? Probably because phenakite is much rarer. But do they really look that much different? Is the colour and dispersion of spessartite really that much superior to orange topaz that I could never mistake the two? I do not own a single cut topaz, and I''ve never really been wowed by one in person - but I also think that as gem collectors, many of us have also conditioned ourselves to the thought that topaz is a dull dinner guest.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results