shape
carat
color
clarity

How closely are you following Trump's trial, and aftermath?

How closely are you following Trump's trial, and aftermath?

• Not at all

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • Very little

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • Little

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Averagely

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Much

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Very much

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • As much as possible

Votes: 4 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, OboeGal, I agree with their assessment. We currently have a banana republic which is a dictatorship or an absolute monarchy; that is the problem. But what is the solution? Many of us are unwilling to accept a banana republic as a permanent way of life and would like to return to Constitutional norms. In other words, we would like to keep the republic that Benjamin Franklin challenged us to keep.

The solution in the short term is to get out the vote, in a way that is indisputable. The solution in the longer term is to examine and repair our political system. The last 2 republican presidents have not been elected by the people.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find a 9 year sentence for a non-violent crime with no victims committed by an old man to be excessive. He's not Bernie Madoff. Still he probably would do only 3 years of it anyway if they have sentence reduction statutes.

And my opinion has nothing to do with politics. Do we want fewer people in prison or not?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find a 9 year sentence for a non-violent crime with no victims committed by an old man to be excessive. He's not Bernie Madoff. Still he probably would do only 3 years of it anyway if they have sentence reduction statutes.

And my opinion has nothing to do with politics. Do we want fewer people in prison or not?

The problem is that the decision was taken away from the judge through corruption. I was not debating its leniency or harshness.

Your opinion has political implications since you would be allowing corruption to slide and whether one wants more or fewer people in prison is irrelevant.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Roger Stone debacle makes a mockery of the justice system, but we shouldn't be surprised by that considering we have a cheat/thief/liar as president.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem is that the decision was taken away from the judge through corruption. I was not debating its leniency or harshness.

Your opinion has political implications since you would be allowing corruption to slide and whether one wants more or fewer people in prison is irrelevant.

My opinion is based on the crime committed by the individual receiving the sentence. Why did the prosecutors recommend such a sentence? Is it commensurate with other similar crimes and sentences? Your article doesn't say. Political retribution? As far as the number of people in prison it's always relevant no matter who the convicted happens to be.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Has no victims? Every citizen in this country is harmed by what Roger Stone did (impeding investigation). You do the crime you do the time. People using marijuana will have longer jail terms than this guy. And it sets a TERRIBLE precedent for people in the future, who know people in high places to commit crimes, knowing that their "friends" will abuse the system to get them off. Terrible precedence. Along with the "moral majority" I think Republicans will also have to give up their "law and order" cap as well. Under Trump white collar crime is at a all time high. Didn't start with him but it has gotten worse. I don't consider things like this a victimless crime because it erodes the very fabric of our society. It creates two tiers, those who follow the laws or be punished, and those who do not need to follow the laws, and profit off of it. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/white-collar-crime-prosecutions-have-hit-lowest-level-in-33-years/

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has no victims? Every citizen in this country is harmed by what Roger Stone did (impeding investigation). You do the crime you do the time. People using marijuana will have longer jail terms than this guy. And it sets a TERRIBLE precedent for people in the future, who know people in high places to commit crimes, knowing that their "friends" will abuse the system to get them off. Terrible precedence. Along with the "moral majority" I think Republicans will also have to give up their "law and order" cap as well. Under Trump white collar crime is at a all time high. Not a coincidence. I don't consider things like this a victimless crime because it erodes the very fabric of our society.
Terrible precedence is set every day by people with money receiving lighter sentences than those without. Regardless of their political affiliation. I want to know if this sentence recommendation is commensurate with others they have done for similar crimes. If it's not then a review by DOJ is in order.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I too, think its a pretty severe sentence for lying about something that no one , which means Mueller, could prove that a crime was committed. The same will hold true for Gen Flynn. Trump should have waited until the Judge sentenced, but he has no control. He will pardon him, but did want to show his power. This is what Trump is. However, imo he is right-- too long a sentence. I was a bit shocked myself.
Annette

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I too, think its a pretty severe sentence for lying about something that no one , which means Mueller, could prove that a crime was committed. The same will hold true for Gen Flynn. Trump should have waited until the Judge sentenced, but he has no control. He will pardon him, but did want to show his power. This is what Trump is. However, imo he is right-- too long a sentence. I was a bit shocked myself.
Annette

I agree Trump should have kept his big mouth shut.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree Trump should have kept his big mouth shut.

Setting aside the R/D debates, Trump seriously looks like he is losing it. The Superbowl party video was bizarre. We should all be concerned.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Blue Diva, I wanted to reach out of my screen to hug you. We have been concerned since before he took office. I used to get stomach aches and I had my last cry just before the impeachment hearings. I now realize I have adapted to the constant stress and no longer get a stomach ache when the Orange Man does something awful again. Humans do adapt but my concern is great--just no more symptoms.

To Karl and DF. You know, of course, your guy wears make-up every day. They caught a great picture of him. What lip gloss goes with orange.

Annette

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
To Karl and DF. You know, of course, your guy wears make-up every day. They caught a great picture of him. What lip gloss goes with orange.
So,
What does that have to do with anything?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(answers by AGBF in bold print)

My opinion is based on the crime committed by the individual receiving the sentence. Why did the prosecutors recommend such a sentence? Is it commensurate with other similar crimes and sentences?

Yes.

Your article doesn't say.

I guess it didn't cover everything. I have been reading other sources and listening to other people (informed people who used to work for the DOJ) speak on the radio. It was well within the sentencing guidelines, but the judge had ultimate say and could use her judgement to consider mitigating factors. No one expected her to sentence Mr. Stone to 9 years.

Political retribution?

No.

As far as the number of people in prison it's always relevant no matter who the convicted happens to be.

When you worry about crowded jails in a state being run without control of the executive branch, you are worrying about a grain of sand in the Sahara. Here it is paramount that we restrain a corrupt president and his justice Department who are at fault. The judge knows how crowded (or not) the prisons are and how vile Mr. Stone's crimes are compare with those of others. The president and his minions do not have to get mixed up in the matter!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally do not think that the DOJ and Trump should stepped in and interfered with the prosecutors and judge's job. That's not their job. There is a separation of powers, and that is in part to prevent exactly this kind of thing from happening.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's certainly possible that, based on judicial precedence, the sentence is inappropriately long for the crime. I honestly don't know enough to know. However, in reading about what he actually did, it was pretty bad - it wasn't just a "one-off" or impulsive incident of trying to intimidate a witness, but a premeditated, lengthy, and escalating campaign leading to outright threats of death to the witness and his dog. Pretty sociopathic behavior, and doesn't strike me as entirely victimless. I think what makes this come across as "stinky" for me is the knowledge that, as redwood said, there is a history of people with money getting off with lighter or no sentences, PLUS such highly visual DOJ interference in sentencing for a criminal act that was so highly political in its context. I guess it would be easier for me to see this not as corruption if the DOJ more often spoke up for those less well-off and less connected when they get ridiculous sentences for stuff that really is victimless, like partgypsy pointed out with folks using a little marijuana personally and not driving under its influence.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You mean like when B. Clinton met up with AG. Lynch when his wife was still under investigation ?. OOps, I forgot they were only exchanging Brownies recipes for 45 mins on the tarmac.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@AGBF I'll worry about whatever I deem appropriate thank you very much. Already stated Trump should shut up about the matter.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF I'll worry about whatever I deem appropriate thank you very much.

Be my guest; one's thoughts are free. And my opinion of what is important for a person-for American people- to be concerned about in this crisis remains unchanged,

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be my guest; one's thoughts are free. And my opinion of what is important for a person to be concerned about in a crisis remains unchanged,

Thanks. ;)2 Everything regarding Trump is not a crisis.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. ;)2 Everything regarding Trump is not a crisis.
Yes it is according to the left especially our strong economy under Trump...;))

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The number of people in prison for minor crimes is relevant to me. The number of people in prison who REALLY committed the crime is relevant to me. I have no problem with the death penalty btw.

Stone got the maximum, used to be that pubs loved people going to jail for a looong time, but not when it's one of its tribe today.

I love how this gal gives Trump a bye "first of all it isn't the first time Trump weighed in on something and it won't be the last" hahaha, there's an officer of the court, she's saying "Trump is just being Trumpski, Trump should get away with this stuff because she's a stooge for nutzoid federalists" :) She defends creeps, white collar criminals, thugs and drug dealers, a perfect conservative today btw.

My opinion is based on the crime committed by the individual receiving the sentence. Why did the prosecutors recommend such a sentence? Is it commensurate with other similar crimes and sentences? Your article doesn't say. Political retribution? As far as the number of people in prison it's always relevant no matter who the convicted happens to be.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was stronger and way more honest under Obama. Bring back a democrat asap

Yes it is according to the left especially our strong economy under Trump...;))

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The number of people in prison for minor crimes is relevant to me. The number of people in prison who REALLY committed the crime is relevant to me. I have no problem with the death penalty btw.

Stone got the maximum, used to be that pubs loved people going to jail for a looong time, but not when it's one of its tribe today.

I love how this gal gives Trump a bye "first of all it isn't the first time Trump weighed in on something and it won't be the last" hahaha, there's an officer of the court, she's saying "Trump is just being Trumpski, Trump should get away with this stuff because she's a stooge for nutzoid federalists" :) She defends creeps, white collar criminals, thugs and drug dealers, a perfect conservative today btw.

I hadn't read that one. Thanks for linking. We agree Trump should stay out of it but he can't help himself with the tweeting.

Don't lump all Rs together like that because keeping people in prison with long sentences for non-violent crimes is something I have never agreed with. Too much money wasted. I don't know any Rs who agree with it. The drug war has been a fiasco resulting in too many people spending too much time behind bars.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was stronger and way more honest under Obama. Bring back a democrat asap
Obama was the first Prez. to be re-elected (post war) with an unemployment of over 7.5%.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the economy isn't really stong if people are employed but can't afford the basics of housing, healthcare, and education

That's why we should elect Sanders into office. We can all retire since everything will be free!.:clap:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually nothing is free under Bernie, I DO hope you have read his platform and are not regurgitating repub news.

That's why we should elect Sanders into office. We can all retire since everything will be free!.:clap:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
the economy isn't really stong if people are employed but can't afford the basics of housing, healthcare, and education

:clap::clap::clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results