shape
carat
color
clarity

How careful are you with your engagement ring?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy! I miss so much myself..I do a lot of skimming...With life lately that’s all I can manage!

Ain’t that the truth. I’m texting you now.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I wore my engagement ring most of the time until I had a baby. I took it off when sleeping or doing something messy/strenuous. I wear a wedding band these days for practical reasons but I can't say that I've ever been very concerned about damaging my engagement ring. My approach was to take some precautions and check it periodically for damage.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also in the camp of wearing my wedding rings (plus studs & pendant) pretty much 24/7. I wear rubber gloves for washing up, cleaning the kitchen or bathrooms, not technically to protect my rings but to protect my skin from chemicals. I also remove them if I'm messy cooking, so dough or mince etc, but leave them on other than that. If I do take them off at night (wedding band aside as that's never been removed) I pop them in a little jewellery box on my bedside cabinet. I like to know where they are, plus they're insured, for which they get a 'health check' every 12 months. So far they have been fine & never needed any repairs. Married 14 years this September.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only when I leave the house.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
My rings/bracelet are last things to go on when I leave the house and first thing to come off when I get home. When I go visit (like in the olden days) my mum's house I also take my rings off when there. I have absolutely one spot in the house where I leave jeweler so I always know where it is (I also have a spot in my mum's house and when we go on holiday I choose a spot and tell everybody "that's where I'm leaving my ring!" (followed by a collective family eyeroll). My 'one spot' is **edited coz my paranoia got the better of me** so I do get to enjoy little firey flashes all day long.

Last edited:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I am also in the camp of wearing my wedding rings (plus studs & pendant) pretty much 24/7. I wear rubber gloves for washing up, cleaning the kitchen or bathrooms, not technically to protect my rings but to protect my skin from chemicals. I also remove them if I'm messy cooking, so dough or mince etc, but leave them on other than that. If I do take them off at night (wedding band aside as that's never been removed) I pop them in a little jewellery box on my bedside cabinet. I like to know where they are, plus they're insured, for which they get a 'health check' every 12 months. So far they have been fine & never needed any repairs. Married 14 years this September.

Pretty much the same as the above, except I don't always use rubber gloves when washing dishes, my rings and hands get a nice detergent cleaning every time I do dishes. I also have the big knuckle issue like Slick1, so I try to minimize taking my rings on and off too often.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty much the same as the above, except I don't always use rubber gloves when washing dishes, my rings and hands get a nice detergent cleaning every time I do dishes. I also have the big knuckle issue like Slick1, so I try to minimize taking my rings on and off too often.

My Great Aunt, who had the most beautiful collection of jewellery, always said washing up dishes was how she kept her engagement ring so clean & sparkly. I have also been known when I'm finished to whip off my gloves, sud up my ring finger with the sponge, then rinse under warm water. Works a treat for a little buff up & sparkle!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
My Great Aunt, who had the most beautiful collection of jewellery, always said washing up dishes was how she kept her engagement ring so clean & sparkly. I have also been known when I'm finished to whip off my gloves, sud up my ring finger with the sponge, then rinse under warm water. Works a treat for a little buff up & sparkle!

I take mine off when washing dishes, but I use dawn and a baby toothbrush to scrub it every night and keep the brush on the windowsill over the sink :)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take my rings off as soon as I get home and I never wear my rings when cooking or cleaning. Most of my collection is colored gems so I tend to baby them a bit.

I like to wear an Enso silicone band around the house. It gives me the feeling of something on that finger and I don’t have to worry about damaging it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear my rings around the house so with covid and staying home most of the time I'm barely wearing them!

Makes me double think about wanting to go bigger or buy more (blasphemy I know!)

sth66

Rough_Rock
Do you take your ring off when you washing the dishes, sleep, laundry? I’m curious because I will never get to wear my ring if I don’t do some things with it on my finger.. I’m always rinsing something off...getting water for the dog, cooking, etc.

I learned the hard way. Lost my main stone after 17 years. I wore mine all the time. Gardening, cleaning, cooking, everything. I did get it checked once a year, but obviously that wasn’t the answer. I got a replacement stone and although it’s bigger and a better cut stone, I’d give anything to have my original stone back.

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
Through much trial & error I have found that I am most comfortable in a lightweight 4mm domed comfort fit yellow gold band. Wish I could have figured this out years ago! It's smooth like butter and I forget it's even there, that's all I wear most of the time. I wear my solitaire and my bead set eternity only when I'm going out of the house and want some sparkle. As soon as I take them off the gold band goes back on. But that's my personality though, I wear practical/uglier cushiony shoes rather than uncomfortable stylish shoes, I wear shlumpy soft fabrics before I'll wear stiffer classier outfits. Especially when I'm at home. Do what makes you feel the most relaxed and at peace.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I take mine off to cook and clean. And also to do any exercise. I just try to watch as much as possible where my hand is going if I'm doing a quick dishwasher unload. I should take it off for both load and unload but lazy. I pretty much wear it otherwise. I find I'm still wearing it a ton. Im a SAHM so I'm definitely taking care of stuff. Just not 24/7 so I'm getting to enjoy wearing it still. I don't worry about loss either while I'm not wearing it because I have 2 specific spots for it. One holder in the kitchen and one holder in the master bath. And I guess technically while I rotate or remove the stuff that can cause a rash if I wear it too long. That goes in one of the velvet boxes until next wear. I don't put them anywhere else because I lose things and I know I'll lose it. I never forgot losing my lovely garnet after cleaning because I set it down somewhere random in the drying cloths and someone trashed it >.<

Ps I love your organiser!! Its so pretty!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock

I’m the same. I take my rings off to sleep and then put them back on after my morning shower.

I will say that when I was getting engaged the very high-set style of solitaire was popular and that never appealed to me because it seemed impractical for daily wear with my lifestyle. I guess I always had the idea of wearing my ring 24/7 and chose a style of ring to fit that, rather than choosing the ring and adjusting my behavior.

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Now that I'm WFH, I only wear my ER, and I take it off to cook, wash dishes, shower, sleep, and sometimes when washing my hands (I would never take it off to wash my hands in public, though). I wear it for sentimental reasons, honestly. I have a diamond RHR that's sat in its box for months that I wore daily when I worked from the office.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m the same. I take my rings off to sleep and then put them back on after my morning shower.

I will say that when I was getting engaged the very high-set style of solitaire was popular and that never appealed to me because it seemed impractical for daily wear with my lifestyle. I guess I always had the idea of wearing my ring 24/7 and chose a style of ring to fit that, rather than choosing the ring and adjusting my behavior.

My solitaire is very high & one day I hope to have it lowered. But if I sleep in it i just twist the diamond over to the side against my little finger, then it's all fairly flat & comfy.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I leave mine on 24/7; sleeping, working out, showering, cooking, washing dishes, pulling weeds, washing the dog, etc. I'd used to take it off to work out, but weight gain has made that impossible. I'm moderately careful though, it is very rare that it gets knocked on anything. Hope you find a way to wear your ring often to enjoy it!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In fact, unlike many PSers I never wear bling in the house. I prefer being unencumbered inside the house. That is not to say I don't take out my jewelry and gaze at it occasionally when I am home. LOL I do that more often than I care to admit. :)

OK yay, @missy you've answered the question I had immediately upon reading @Austina's reply that she doesn't wear her rings at home, which is when do you ever get to enjoy looking at your pretties if you don't wear them at home?!
I spend the most time looking at my jewellery at home (or when I'm on a plane because window seats seem to produce the best rainbow sparkles, but that's not happening so much right now) so if I didn't wear it there, I would never enjoy it! :lol-2:

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Only been 9yrs, but I wore my ering and eternity band 24/7. But thats also because the center stone is small so it can’t be a lethal weapon. I don’t know if I have a big center I can continue doing that without hurting my kids or scratching anything else in the house. But I just noticed last month that my eternity band is eating my ering prong, so I only wore my ering now.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Only been 9yrs, but I wore my ering and eternity band 24/7. But thats also because the center stone is small so it can’t be a lethal weapon. I don’t know if I have a big center I can continue doing that without hurting my kids or scratching anything else in the house. But I just noticed last month that my eternity band is eating my ering prong, so I only wore my ering now.

@munchee Try a spacer band. I purchased a knife edge spacer band through Blue Nile. It protects the prongs from getting sawed...

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
@munchee Try a spacer band. I purchased a knife edge spacer band through Blue Nile. It protects the prongs from getting sawed...

I was thinking of getting a thin ring, is a 1.3mm enough for a spacer? Or do I need a thicker one? I never get a spacer so I don’t know what’s the minimum width

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking of getting a thin ring, is a 1.3mm enough for a spacer? Or do I need a thicker one? I never get a spacer so I don’t know what’s the minimum width

@munchee I tried thin spacers like the size you mentioned. For me, personally, I didn’t like the way it looked. It would go under the ring instead of separating them. I had to get use to the spacer because I would rather do without...but not at the expense of getting my ering damaged. The knife edge spacer is higher so it really separates the rings. I’ll see if I can find a pic and get back to you.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@munchee
I tried to find a pic of my spacer..but I didn’t see any. I’ll take a pic tomorrow.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
@munchee
I tried to find a pic of my spacer..but I didn’t see any. I’ll take a pic tomorrow.

Thank you so much!!!!!! Take your time, my new ring won’t be here for long time :lol:

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take off my rings with stones when I’m cooking, washing the dishes or doing yard work. If I’m having a party I always take off my rings and just put them away bc I know my hands will be constantly busy and I don’t want to worry about them.
I wear my rings around the house otherwise but I’m always aware they are on so I’m extra careful with my left hand. I’ll mostly use my right hand to do things anyway bc I’m a righty.
The same goes for bracelets. I always wear them on my left wrist so I’m always just extra cautious with my left side. I try to avoid banging my hands and arms on tables, etc.

I purchased these ring holders around the house so I always know where my rings are when I do take them off. One by my nightstand, another in the kitchen cabinet above my stove and another in my bathroom.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I take off my rings with stones when I’m cooking, washing the dishes or doing yard work. If I’m having a party I always take off my rings and just put them away bc I know my hands will be constantly busy and I don’t want to worry about them.
I wear my rings around the house otherwise but I’m always aware they are on so I’m extra careful with my left hand. I’ll mostly use my right hand to do things anyway bc I’m a righty.
The same goes for bracelets. I always wear them on my left wrist so I’m always just extra cautious with my left side. I try to avoid banging my hands and arms on tables, etc.

I purchased these ring holders around the house so I always know where my rings are when I do take them off. One by my nightstand, another in the kitchen cabinet above my stove and another in my bathroom.

Good idea to put the ring holders throughout the house!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good idea to put the ring holders throughout the house!

Thanks! These are the ring holders. I like that they are small and have different areas on each holder to place different rings. I didn’t want a ring holder where all the rings stack on top of each other, to avoid the diamonds touching.
I put my engagement ring on a separate spot (for example on the rabbit- one ear) away from any bands I put on it. That way they don’t scratch each other.
I don’t use a tray bc the rings can slide around.
These get the job done and they are cheap too! 3946327A-5235-4CE7-8470-A5495AFC60F6.jpeg

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks! These are the ring holders. I like that they are small and have different areas on each holder to place different rings. I didn’t want a ring holder where all the rings stack on top of each other, to avoid the diamonds touching.
I put my engagement ring on a separate spot (for example on the rabbit- one ear) away from any bands I put on it. That way they don’t scratch each other.
These get the job done and they are cheap too! 3946327A-5235-4CE7-8470-A5495AFC60F6.jpeg

Nice! Thanks for sharing them! I like the not touching idea!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock

Those are so cute!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results