shape
carat
color
clarity

How careful are you with your engagement ring?

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I am interested in people who wear them all day. How have the rings held up over time?

Just had a near miss of dropping onto a stone floor when putting it back on after cooking :errrr:

I plan to continue taking mine off for sleeping and showering, but wonder if by taking them off / putting them on continually throughout the day (for cooking, light cleaning, washing dishes, craft with the kids etc) is actually putting them more at risk of being dropped and more severely damaged than just keeping them on and being careful. I've often heard the phrase "it's safest on your hand" and wonder if just keeping it on all day (barring hardcore manual labour) might be a better option...

I used to be like that when I first got my upgrade. I would take it off any time I had a job to do, then I thought heck I got this ring to wear & it was spending more time in it's box than on my finger! I wear it all the time & it's held up well. It's been nearly 10 years now & some of the milgraining is showing a little bit of wear but other than that my set still looks great. The palladium has a patina to it, but I like that.=)2

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
I wear it when I am out (which is never anymore) and when I am not doing housework. I switch my rings around a lot , I am trying to get some wear out of them all before I vacate this blue marble. I have dozens of rings, mostly gemstone and cz, so the rotation is constant. I wouldn't wear my er when doing housework anyway, as it is cz and thus less durable than diamond...

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
@mrs-b you left your rings at the post office??? :eek2::eek2::eek2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am interested in people who wear them all day. How have the rings held up over time?

Just had a near miss of dropping onto a stone floor when putting it back on after cooking :errrr:

I plan to continue taking mine off for sleeping and showering, but wonder if by taking them off / putting them on continually throughout the day (for cooking, light cleaning, washing dishes, craft with the kids etc) is actually putting them more at risk of being dropped and more severely damaged than just keeping them on and being careful. I've often heard the phrase "it's safest on your hand" and wonder if just keeping it on all day (barring hardcore manual labour) might be a better option...

Millie - I wear my 3 wedding rings ALL the time. Sadly, my original engagement ring was damaged just the way you described here! My eldest daughter, who was about 2 if I recall, was twirling it on her index finger in the kitchen, as I had taken it off (as I always did) to do something. Anyway, she flung it off & it landed hard on the slate floor. It was invisible set princess cuts & the force made one diamond crack the one next to it. The insurance refused to pay to repair it, likening it to a tiled wall: you chip out one tile & the rest will fall. They stated it wasn't suitable for everyday wear & wrote it off :((

They let me keep it for sentimental reasons & I occasionally try it on. It looks great & you wouldn't know it was damaged, but one hard knock & those puppies are all free.

They paid out, Mr T doubled it & I have had my pear solitaire ever since. She went through 2 previous settings within the first year as kept popping out of the head. Crap workmanship. I had this setting custom made & if she had a little polish she would look as good as new. She's a tank!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Millie - I wear my 3 wedding rings ALL the time. Sadly, my original engagement ring was damaged just the way you described here! My eldest daughter, who was about 2 if I recall, was twirling it on her index finger in the kitchen, as I had taken it off (as I always did) to do something. Anyway, she flung it off & it landed hard on the slate floor. It was invisible set princess cuts & the force made one diamond crack the one next to it. The insurance refused to pay to repair it, likening it to a tiled wall: you chip out one tile & the rest will fall. They stated it wasn't suitable for everyday wear & wrote it off :((

They let me keep it for sentimental reasons & I occasionally try it on. It looks great & you wouldn't know it was damaged, but one hard knock & those puppies are all free.

They paid out, Mr T doubled it & I have had my pear solitaire ever since. She went through 2 previous settings within the first year as kept popping out of the head. Crap workmanship. I had this setting custom made & if she had a little polish she would look as good as new. She's a tank!

This is what I worry about :errrr: I don't have any deliberate ring-flingers in the house (any more!), but I am butter-fingered and tend to drop things, and we have a limestone floor in the kitchen. I guess all ended up for the best as you got your gorgeous pear!

I always wear gloves for washing up so will probably just keep it on for most routine kitchen things and be careful. If I'm doing something very messy I'll keep it elsewhere in the house (with carpet).

@LilAlex it's interesting that there is such a difference between diamond and sapphire holding up. I know sapphire is less hard but didn't realise the difference would be so stark in daily wear. I have a smaller sapphire ring so will be more careful with it.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've just finished cleaning with chemicals, with rings on, with rubber gloves on. I think your emerald cut (still waiting on it's thread!) will hold up just fine, as it looks very solidly set.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex it's interesting that there is such a difference between diamond and sapphire holding up. I know sapphire is less hard but didn't realise the difference would be so stark in daily wear. I have a smaller sapphire ring so will be more careful with it.

I know! One's a "9" and one's a "10" but it's a non-linear scale (not like rating your date!); my understanding is that diamond is much harder than corundum.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wear mine 24/7 except when washing my hair, my rings get loose with the shampoo.
I wear it to bed, walking the dogs, taking the rubbish out, gardening, cleaning, vacuuming, cooking, all the time. That way I always know where it is.
so yes, with my $8 T shirt and $15 shorts I wear oh, $50k plus in jewellery.

This made me laugh, @Bron357 ! I wear a cotton unisex agency t-shirt for my job and my husband will joke, “What brooch did you pick out to wear with it today?!” Hah!

I also wear my rings all the time. I do take off to shower and when I wash my face/remove makeup. I wear my rings while cooking, but I turn my diamonds toward my palm when I spray cooking spray! If I’m doing dirty pans and dishes, I will take my rings off for that. I keep a ring holder inside a kitchen cabinet near the sink so that I always know where they are.
I do these things more for keeping the diamonds clean rather than the settings safe!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I've just finished cleaning with chemicals, with rings on, with rubber gloves on. I think your emerald cut (still waiting on it's thread!) will hold up just fine, as it looks very solidly set.

Yes it's a nice sturdy setting. I can't be doing with delicate pave etc. I actually bought it intending it to be a temp setting but I love its simplicity so much I don't think I'll bother changing it! Maybe if/when it wears out in 10-20 years, or however long 14k gold settings last, I'll replace with a platinum setting to match my original WB.

I know! One's a "9" and one's a "10" but it's a non-linear scale (not like rating your date!); my understanding is that diamond is much harder than corundum.

Mohs is an exponential scale isn't it? Very misleading. Lol at rate your date ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results