shape
carat
color
clarity

How careful are you with your engagement ring?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you take your ring off when you washing the dishes, sleep, laundry? I’m curious because I will never get to wear my ring if I don’t do some things with it on my finger.. I’m always rinsing something off...getting water for the dog, cooking, etc.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to see scratches on my nice crystal wine glasses, but never knew how they got there.
After solving the mystery I now remove my ring before hand-washing the dishes.

I guess that makes me more careful with my glasses than with my diamond. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
I only take it off to clean it in the ultrasonic once a week. It is very difficult to take off and put on, mostly in the morning but I literally need soap and water. It fits perfectly though so I don’t want to size it up because it’ll spin too much. I clean it daily with Dawn and a toothbrush while I’m still wearing it (often while I’m doing the dishes ) so it gets rid of the gunk and residue that might build up from oils and lotions. I don’t clean with harsh chemicals so I don’t take it off for that either.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take all my rings off for sleeping (except naps) showering, washing dishes and cooking food. For a quick rinse I’ll leave them on or if I’m washing my hands after using the bathroom. Anything like cleaning the house, gardening I also take them off. Also, I NEVER take them off in public, I know some folks will take them off to wash their hands after the restroom but not me!

So I guess they only get worn during the day when I do school online with the kids, at night watching tv and when I go grocery shopping or go out of the house.

I am super careful with them but most of my rings are antique so they require a little more care.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because of terribly arthritic knuckles (I really should investigate those opening shank devices) I rarely take them off. Like PP if I sized up, they would spin terribly.

I am of the mindset to wear your gems. We only live once and most everything is replaceable:fixable.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear it only when I leave the house. With 4 cats, my hands are in water a lot and I don't like having to dry under the ring all the time. And, it's a spinel, not the softest stone, but less durable than diamond.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I take all my rings off for sleeping (except naps) showering, washing dishes and cooking food. For a quick rinse I’ll leave them on or if I’m washing my hands after using the bathroom. Anything like cleaning the house, gardening I also take them off. Also, I NEVER take them off in public, I know some folks will take them off to wash their hands after the restroom but not me!

So I guess they only get worn during the day when I do school online with the kids, at night watching tv and when I go grocery shopping or go out of the house.

I am super careful with them but most of my rings are antique so they require a little more care.

Same here!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have a few rings but most of them are not for daily wear. My latest solitaire might fit the bill, if I just put it on--except for most tasks. LOL. So I wear bands or no rings at all. I'm boring....zzzzzz....

cheers--Sharon

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've tried to wear them at home constantly, but once DD comes home, I put it away because I'm either washing her hands, my hands, or she's gotten her sticky paws on them ;-)
She likes the sparkle, lol!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to see scratches on my nice crystal wine glasses, but never knew how they got there.

I guess that makes me more careful with my glasses than with my diamond. :mrgreen:

Years ago we borrowed Gary's son's van to go down south to get some of my stuff from home
we left our car with them

it came back with a scratch on the inside of the windscreen from his partner's ring:(2

What can you say when its family doing a favour
Sigh

Oh well
i think we got a stone click not long after that and got a new windscreen with insurence

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear my rings at all when I'm home unless I'm working (teaching on ZOOM). I would say overall that I'm very careful. I've seen enough damaged ones coming back for repair (or insurance replacement) that I know better.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee - you read my latest debacle, leaving my rings in the post office. So my answer to your question is - clearly - not careful enough.

I take them off whenever I'm doing something that would make them really dirty - like - stripping the meat from a chicken carcass, for example, cleaning with harsh chemicals, grooming my dogs, working out - and so on, but that means I'm always putting them places. This is a dicey thing to do, and I wouldn't recommend it.

It's part of the reason I'm trying to de-stash. I find the older I get, when I take off my rings, the more frequently I have no idea where I've left them. I don't have this issue with earrings, pendants, or bracelets / bangles. I'm honestly (and I do mean this sincerely) starting to think I'm one of those people who should have a collection of huge earrings, pendants and bracelets - but for rings? Just a few sturdy, plain ones.

It's actually a compelling argument for me, my lifestyle and my time of life and one I'm genuinely considering.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was cleaning a delicate wine glass and managed to chip the edge with one of my rings:roll2:

I take them off now to do any hand washing.
Otherwise I take them off to sleep unless I’m in a hotel or somewhere unfamiliar; to garden; cook or to do anything physical that might damage them like weightlifting etc.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually take off my Octavia when I juggle running chainsaws blindfolded at the circus, slapping DF, or collecting bovine semen.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very careful. I haven't even been wearing them in favor of bands due to all the hand washing and sanitizing.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take it off when doing kitchen stuff, washing dishes, cooking, and household cleaning, and usually when showering. Other than that, I keep it on. I am fine sleeping with it. My hand feels weird not to have something on that finger. But I'm a person that wears jewelry at home.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear mine 24/7 except when washing my hair, my rings get loose with the shampoo.
I wear it to bed, walking the dogs, taking the rubbish out, gardening, cleaning, vacuuming, cooking, all the time. That way I always know where it is.
so yes, with my $8 T shirt and $15 shorts I wear oh, $50k plus in jewellery.

K98

Rough_Rock
Because of terribly arthritic knuckles (I really should investigate those opening shank devices) I rarely take them off. Like PP if I sized up, they would spin terribly.

I am of the mindset to wear your gems. We only live once and most everything is replaceable:fixable.

I take mine off for exercise or doing anything that requires a lot of grip strength (using tools, etc) so as not to catastrophically damage them, and for bathing/swimming. Chemicals and raw meat and stuff, I’m more likely to just use disposable gloves over top. I wear them sleeping and for everything else. Totally agree that life is short and I have them because I love to look at them! I want to be able to see them all the time.

When I do take them off, they either go in the ultrasonic to soak & jiggle (I have one in the kitchen and the bathroom), or in a ring dish in the bathroom, so I don’t lose them.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I believe that the safest place for my ring is on my finger. I take my ring off to wash dishes and when I am exercising with dumbbells. Other than that, I wear my ring. I have a personal belief that I want to use and love my ring, so I wear it. It is kinda like I do not believe in only using the good dishes when company comes over- I use the good dishes for me. I know that my ring will get scratches, but to me, I don’t care. I shower with my ring, I sleep with my ring etc. I also constantly wear my diamond stud earrings.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take mine off to work out, but that's essentially it. I shower after my workout so I don't wear them in the shower. But I wear them to walk dogs, cook, etc, unless I'm working with dough/ground meat/something that could get gummed up in the rings.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, it’s more a case of when do I put it on, rather than take it off.

I only wear my rings outside of the house, as soon as I get home, I take them off and put them back in their boxes. I don’t do any household chores with my rings on, as Bella is an antique, I prefer to keep her protected when not wearing her.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never wear Bubbalah doing chores or just hanging out with the kitties. She could hurt someone or get hurt :). Cooking/cleaning/washing/vaccuming etc. Bubbalah comes off my finger and goes into her jewelry box to a safe place.

As soon as I come back home in fact she comes off my finger and into the safe. I am too absent minded and klutzy to do anything else.

Here she is in her "ivory" tower haha.

bubbalahinivorybox.jpg.png

In fact, unlike many PSers I never wear bling in the house. I prefer being unencumbered inside the house. That is not to say I don't take out my jewelry and gaze at it occasionally when I am home. LOL I do that more often than I care to admit. :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend not to wear my rings (not an ER, just one ring on each hand) when I am at home, and would take them off when I am doing the washing up.

However, when I used to work in an office, I would wash my glass/cup with my rings on, and had been known to make tiny scratches on the inside.

DK :))

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take off my rings, watch, and bracelets when I cook. I usually leave them on for light cleaning (wiping counters, vacuuming). I never wear any jewelry to sleep or shower. I need to remember to remove them when I do laundry but I have been lucky so far and no damage from hitting my rings on the washer or dryer. I have started to remember to take off my jewelry before unloading groceries. I do a large grocery trip weekly and loading up all those sacks could easily damage my rings. I also clean my jewelry daily. I have 2 spots for jewelry (in the jewelry box or in a small tray in the kitchen). I have trained myself to never place my jewelry anywhere else. I guess I am on the "pretty careful " side.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I take off my ring when cooking with my hands (like meatloaf). I keep a ring holder by the sink for this reason. I keep a clean tooth brush in the kitchen dish drainer to clean the ring with Dawn dishsoap after I work in the kitchen. I drop it into the jewelry cleaner when I take a shower...and pick it up on the way out. I don't like how rings do feel encumbered, but my slim solitaire and wedding band are easier and lighter. The platinum set tends to stay in the jewelry box. I do sleep in them too.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s been really interesting to see how people take care of their ring during the day doing normal activities. Winter is new to me..so I think I’m being extra careful...I will probably loosen up as time goes on. I was also super careful with Summer because I knew I was trading her in..In my mind she wasn’t mine.
Before I sold Libby I did pretty much the same thing. I always put my ring on a high built in that I have in my kitchen. It’s eye height so if I’m not wearing my ring I can pass by and visit..haha When I’m washing dirty dishes I take it off and put it on that shelf...or wear disposable gloves.. Sometimes I will put her back on at night when I watch tv. If I‘m doing laundry I do keep it on but I was known to whack Libby on the washer and dryer..It never caused her harm but I would run to loupe her. Now that I have Winter I’m just extra careful when I’m doing the laundry.
When I‘m ready to go to bed I put my jewelry that I wore that day in my little organizer and take it to bed with me. It sits on my bedside table. I like them near me...haha
111C065D-E5DC-4ABC-8F5E-FCD5FDD5D6ED.jpeg

Attachments

• 61DDE610-816F-450A-83CB-A343F4D66B26.jpeg
    61DDE610-816F-450A-83CB-A343F4D66B26.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 15

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s been really interesting to see how people take care of their ring during the day doing normal activities. Winter is new to me..so I think I’m being extra careful...I will probably loosen up as time goes on. I was also super careful with Summer because I knew I was trading her in..In my mind she wasn’t mine.
Before I sold Libby I did pretty much the same thing. I always put my ring on a high built in that I have in my kitchen. It’s eye height so if I’m not wearing my ring I can pass by and visit..haha When I’m washing dirty dishes I take it off and put it on that shelf...or wear disposable gloves.. Sometimes I will put her back on at night when I watch tv. If I‘m doing laundry I do keep it on but I was known to whack Libby on the washer and dryer..It never caused her harm but I would run to loupe her. Now that I have Winter I’m just extra careful when I’m doing the laundry.
When I‘m ready to go to bed I put my jewelry that I wore that day in my little organizer and take it to bed with me. It sits on my bedside table. I like them near me...haha
111C065D-E5DC-4ABC-8F5E-FCD5FDD5D6ED.jpeg

Omg. Is it bad I didn’t read your post yet. Just drooling over Winter. ❤️❤️❤️

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results