shape
carat
color
clarity

how can I tell if a diamond is "eye clean" by looking at an AGS certificate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigToque

Rough_Rock
I''m 99% positive I''ll be buying a stone online without ever seeing it before purchase, so how do I tell if something is eye clean?

Red indicates inside the diamond, and green indicates on the surface right?

Do you have any pointers? I''d like to get an SI1 or SI2 (RB 1ct/F/ideal) as long as it''s eye clean, because it will save me a bunch of money.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
have the vendor look it over for you and give a description of the inclusions. looking at the report does not guarantee anything
2.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your answer isn't on the lab report grasshopper.

Ask the seller to look at it and give an opinion. Make them agree that if you or your appraiser don't agree then they will give you a 100% refund, no questions asked. Most of the good dealers will happily do this if they are selling stones that they actually have. They don't want to see it back any more than you want to return it so they're normally pretty straight about it. Pick your dealer as carefully as you pick your stone and you can avoid quite a bit of headache.

Neil Beaty
GG (GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
You definitely need to call the vendor and have someone look at the stone for you. It helps for them to look through a consumer''s eye and not an expert''s eye. Experts will be able to spot out inclusions because they know what and where to look for, but a consumer might not be able to see it. For me, if it''s out of sight, it''s out of mind.

Just make sure they give you as much detail as possible to where the inclusions are and if visible or not. I''m repeating what Belle said, but it''s true, you can''t tell by the stone''s certificate.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto what belle said. The vendors are very good at eye balling the stones for you and will be very honest about the nature of the inclusions etc... Good luck!!!!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2005 7:18:31 PM
Author: Milly
You definitely need to call the vendor and have someone look at the stone for you. It helps for them to look through a consumer''s eye and not an expert''s eye. Experts will be able to spot out inclusions because they know what and where to look for, but a consumer might not be able to see it. For me, if it''s out of sight, it''s out of mind.

Just make sure they give you as much detail as possible to where the inclusions are and if visible or not. I''m repeating what Belle said, but it''s true, you can''t tell by the stone''s certificate.
Great points from Milly: Different people have different standards depending on their trade experience, eyesight and even their age. Your exact definition of ''eye-clean'' as described to (or by) the vendor is important.

This thread in the FAQ may be of interest.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2005 7:18:31 PM
Author: Milly
For me, if it''s out of sight, it''s out of mind.
I LOVE THAT!
36.gif

That is SOOOO perfectly true for me, too!

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results