carat
color
clarity

how can i make it work with a 15k budget

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JOENESS|1353293920|3309846 said:
also for this diamond, is it good or bad that there is only a AGS report and no GIA?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2813923.htm

Call and confirm the stone is clear and bright and eyeclean to your specifications, whatever they are, and doesn't suffer from the 'clarity based on clouds not shown' notation. It's an SI2 so best to double check.
Your WF rep will be able to tell you what you need to know.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No that's not bad at all. I would have WF look it over for you.

JOENESS

Rough_Rock
i think my budget will have to be cut to 14k. i learned everything i know about diamonds thru watching Jon on youtube so im thinking of contacting him personally. would i be making a good choice going thru GOG or are their prices too high? it seems like he really knows how to hand pick his stones

justginger

Ideal_Rock
GOG has a lot of very, very happy customers and their videos are an excellent learning/information tool. Personally, whenever I've been looking to purchase, I've found GOG to be a bit more expensive than other vendors. Some people think the extra tools and tests are worth the extra money - it's up to you, what sort of service vs pricing you desire. :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're on a budget, have a particular size AND color I wouldn't go with them, personally. If you're willing to concede in color or size then their stones are beautiful. Otherwise I'd probably go with ERD if you like the setting from there.

JOENESS

Rough_Rock
im def thinking about getting the setting from EDR but i wont be able to shop the diamond until end of january. how long do settings take to make? i was thinking about proposing around mid february(not valentines day). will i have less choices of diamonds then cause i know its the season now to buy diamonds for e-rings and for gifts? do vendors try to get rid of there stock by the end of the year or before tax season?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
1.505 H SI2 expert selection: The cert says "clarity based on clouds not shown." That's doesn't sound too great to me, since it's SI2 and clouds can negatively affect brilliance and scintillation. Also, today's SI2 diamonds often have eye-visible inclusions. But you can inquire about how eyeclean it is and at what distance. I didn't run the numbers through the HCA.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
JOENESS|1353512750|3311992 said:
im def thinking about getting the setting from EDR but i wont be able to shop the diamond until end of january. how long do settings take to make? i was thinking about proposing around mid february(not valentines day). will i have less choices of diamonds then cause i know its the season now to buy diamonds for e-rings and for gifts? do vendors try to get rid of there stock by the end of the year or before tax season?

I've found the best selections & deals in Aug - Oct. It's not a marrying or anniversary or gift season, and vendors are stocking up for the holiday season later in the year.

I'd be worrying about getting the diamond first. The 1.5ct - 1.6ct range is is a breakpoint for a price jump per carat, and also a target for anniversary upgraders. Very competitive and the good deals get bought fast. If you find a suitable diamond in your price range, put a reserve on it ASAP before you ever ask the PS board for an opinion. Use the HCA and also search Pricescope cheat sheet) for proportions that work well together.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a rabid GOG fan, repeat customer and all. You can not beat the amount of data provided on their site and stones. If the price is a little more its worth it. Every stone I've gotten is branded so I already am paying premium as it is but I relied heavily on his eye on my selection from afar being as analretentive as I am.

Don't settle to save a buck, get the best stone you can get for your buck from the best vendor you can.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I bought from Good Old Gold, too. I prefer the smaller tables and steeper crown angles that Rhino likes. I think that I am slightly more biased toward fire and toward diamonds that have taller crowns. GOG provides many tools that helped me to visualize the diamond and the way it reflects light and what its fire looks like (broad flashes, pin fire, slivers, etc.) I like the Brlliancescope - it can be watched live. The GemAdviser is also good, but doesn't take into account the effects of inclusions.

JOENESS

Rough_Rock
honestly i would love to work with Jon at GOG but i do really want to get the best diamond i could get for my 11k. what diamond do u think he would find me cause on his site theres a 1.5ct I SI2 Ideal Cut but im really dont want to get I color. does he go out and find diamonds if its not in his inventory?

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Call Jon and tell him your budget. See what he can do. I am in the process of working with him on my engagement ring and he and Sarah have been amazing. They also have some great settings, so you may be able to get the whole package. But, if you are adamant about having ERD set the stone, it should be pretty seemless. It will take more than a couple of weeks to make the setting so plan accordingly if you want to propose in Feb.

I did a quick search for you...maybe take a look at these stones:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondResults.php?shape=1&ctMin=1.3&ctMax=1.7&clarity=120&color=56&priceMax=11000&resultsColumns=268435471

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking at rounds or cushions now? Im sorry I cant quite remember

JOENESS

Rough_Rock
yeh as for GOG's inventory on his site, there is nothing there i would consider cause i dont want to sacrifice in ct size and color. hopefully around end of january he may have something im interested in but till then im gonna have to keep eye shopping. she definitely wants a round but did mention a cushion wasnt bad but thats not good enough for me to go with a cushion then

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you for sure want a round then I wouldnt worry about going to GOG or EGD, a good H&A diamond with a nice ideal scope will be perfect at either vendor. And sense she sounds like she is very specific about the setting I would pick that first and then get a diamond from the place that supplies the setting.

JOENESS

Rough_Rock
im actually thinkin about the cushion cut now cause i showed her the Perfect halo from GOG. if i dont get a BRANDED August Vintage Cushion, what price difference would i be looking at from the round if i want similar specs? also in temrs of table, depth, crown, and pav how do i know what numbers to aim for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo9Ecvkjy5Q&feature=plcp

JOENESS

Rough_Rock
should i be going for the same specs for a cushion from the round?

JOENESS

Rough_Rock
also if im gonna get a cushion thats not branded, is there a chance i could actually be spending less? that would be great since i was tryin to stretch a lil anyways but im willing to still stretch if the round is a better choice

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get away with lower color on the round. Fancies cost less, usually.

Square hearts and arrows cushions are the most stunning to me, but they are expensive.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nielseel|1353258026|3309412 said:

Those links I linked you your request is totally doable. A high color 1.5 ct branded AVC is going to cost you more. IMHO I wouldn't go with GOG unless you want to concede some size. Which no one could fault you for because those stones are very pretty. But so is ERD and that seems to be in your budget and your specs.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JOENESS|1353545549|3312556 said:
honestly i would love to work with Jon at GOG but i do really want to get the best diamond i could get for my 11k. what diamond do u think he would find me cause on his site theres a 1.5ct I SI2 Ideal Cut but im really dont want to get I color. does he go out and find diamonds if its not in his inventory?

Hi Joe,

Caught your thread here and wanted to say hi & clarify ... while we do feature many brands that are cut for ideal optics, which we do pay premiums for, I also have access to the whole gamut of virtual diamonds and can hand pick an unbranded round, cushion, etc. and show you quite critically how it stacks up to anything we carry so you can decide whether the premium is worth it or not. I see you're not doing anything till January **edited by moderator. please comply with our policies**
Kindest regards,
Jonathan

JOENESS

Rough_Rock
Rhino|1353711973|3313635 said:
JOENESS|1353545549|3312556 said:

Hi Joe,

Caught your thread here and wanted to say hi & clarify ... while we do feature many brands that are cut for ideal optics, which we do pay premiums for, I also have access to the whole gamut of virtual diamonds and can hand pick an unbranded round, cushion, etc. and show you quite critically how it stacks up to anything we carry so you can decide whether the premium is worth it or not. I see you're not doing anything till January **edited by moderator. please comply with our policies**
Kindest regards,
Jonathan

hey Jonathan! im really glad u had a chance to check out this thread. how can i go about emailing you? i cant seem to find your direct email or messaging here on pricescope

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results