shape
carat
color
clarity

How can I know if my Hpht diamond is a type 2 a or b ?

floaty97

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone !
I have a few questions, if anyone could help me it would be nice and thank you :)
Okay so first of all
-Do boron always cause fluorescence in hpht diamonds ?
-If a hpht diamond doesnt have fluorenscence does that mean that it doesnt contain boron and that its a Type 2a diamond?
-Is there any other way other than diamond testers (electrical conductibility) to be able to easily know if a hpht diamond contains boron (so is type 2b) or is a type 2a?

I Have a LabGrown hpht diamond graded by IGI 1.25ct with color D, VVS2 super ideal cut + triple ex and the igi certificate says "florescence : none"
How can I know if my diamond is type 2a or 2b without testing it with a diamond tester is there any other way ? (Apparently if I test it It will test as a synthetic moissanite if its type 2b but I can't test it I don't really have that option now)
If i place it under the sun for like two hours and then go to the dark and its not fluorescent does that mean that it doesnt contain boron and is a 2a diamond?
The IGI certificate says that it's type 2 diamond without saying if its type 2a or 2b
Thank you !

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a copy of your IGI report?

floaty97

Rough_Rock
Can you post a copy of your IGI report?

I don't know how to do it but there is nothing particular on the report it just says : "
As Grown - No indication of post-growth treatment
This Laboratory Grown Diamond was created by High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) growth process
Type II"

D color
vvs2 clarity
Ideal cut
Polish and symetry excellent

They don't say if its Type IIa or IIb ..
I know that CVD diamonds are always Type IIa but HPHT diamonds are 70% type IIb and only 30% type IIa, or am I wrong?
Thank you

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know how to do it but there is nothing particular on the report it just says : "
As Grown - No indication of post-growth treatment
This Laboratory Grown Diamond was created by High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) growth process
Type II"

D color
vvs2 clarity
Ideal cut
Polish and symetry excellent

They don't say if its Type IIa or IIb ..
I know that CVD diamonds are always Type IIa but HPHT diamonds are 70% type IIb and only 30% type IIa, or am I wrong?
Thank you

What is the report number?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My opinion is if its hpht and high color grade assume it has boron.
I don't buy that 30% of high color grade stones have 0 boron.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, floaty97!
Please post the report number so that we can try to find a vendor video... we'll usually be able to discern quite quickly if your diamond is Type IIa or IIb.

floaty97

Rough_Rock
Hello and thank you all, the report number is lg573314135
The video of the diamond is available here https://www.ritani.com/products/1-2...vvs2-clarity-igi-lg573314135-sku-d-7iuf5bhxef

I don't have any problem with it being type IIb, I am just curious to know because I think that's interesting. I knew when I ordered it that it was a HPHT diamond and I am just wondering of which type it is
I ordered the ring a few days ago and I am so excited for it to arrive to be able to see it I think it's going to be beautiful anyways :kiss2:

Type 2a are the purest but type 2b are so precious like the type of the famous "Hope Diamond" :bigsmile:

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and thank you all, the report number is lg573314135
The video of the diamond is available here https://www.ritani.com/products/1-2...vvs2-clarity-igi-lg573314135-sku-d-7iuf5bhxef

I don't have any problem with it being type IIb, I am just curious to know because I think that's interesting. I knew when I ordered it that it was a HPHT diamond and I am just wondering of which type it is
I ordered the ring a few days ago and I am so excited for it to arrive to be able to see it I think it's going to be beautiful anyways :kiss2:

Type 2a are the purest but type 2b are so precious like the type of the famous "Hope Diamond" :bigsmile:

Does NOT appear to be a Type IIb to my eyes!

However, there does appear to be some cut precision issues with the pavilion facets...when you receive it, check to ensure that it doesn't appear a bit dull and static in the center at times, depending on the lighting conditions.

floaty97

Rough_Rock

However, there does appear to be some cut precision issues with the pavilion facets...when you receive it, check to ensure that it doesn't appear a bit dull and static in the center at times, depending on the lighting conditions.

Thank you, can it be dull even if it's graded as ideal cut with excellent symetry and excellent polish ?
I know it's not hearts and arrows but I used to think that if it's an ideal cut there's no chance for it to be dull, now I am a little confused...
Do you think that it will not sparkle ?
I don't expect it to be as brilliant as a hearts and arrows diamond, but I thought that if I took an ideal cut it would be brilliant either way?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, can it be dull even if it's graded as ideal cut with excellent symetry and excellent polish ?
I know it's not hearts and arrows but I used to think that if it's an ideal cut there's no chance for it to be dull, now I am a little confused...
Do you think that it will not sparkle ?
I don't expect it to be as brilliant as a hearts and arrows diamond, but I thought that if I took an ideal cut it would be brilliant either way?

No. Even if it says "ideal" cut on IGI it still has the chance to be "meh" and not great.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn't a stone that I consider ideal cut, unfortunately

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Someone can not tell with a reasonable degree of certainly from a video if it has boron. If you mean there is a chance it has none then I won't argue the issue.

The main issue is the diamond is likely fine, remember that the long arrow shaft points the way of tilt.
What should be face up is showing a lot of tilt.
That means the diamond is not properly seated in the pins making the entire video inaccurate.

Keep up the good works, its not often I find something to strongly disagree with you on.

floaty97

Rough_Rock
Someone can not tell with a reasonable degree of certainly from a video if it has boron. If you mean there is a chance it has none then I won't argue the issue.

The main issue is the diamond is likely fine, remember that the long arrow shaft points the way of tilt.
What should be face up is showing a lot of tilt.
That means the diamond is not properly seated in the pins making the entire video inaccurate.

Keep up the good works, its not often I find something to strongly disagree with you on.

Hello, thank you for your reply.

I didn't quite understand, do you mean that we can't really rely on the video/image of the diamond to check if its cut is really ideal or bad because the diamond is badly placed on its support (inclined)?

Does this mean that there may not be any defects in the pavilion and that there's a chance that it's actually brilliant?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, thank you for your reply.

I didn't quite understand, do you mean that we can't really rely on the video/image of the diamond to check if its cut is really ideal or bad because the diamond is badly placed on its support (inclined)?

Does this mean that there may not be any defects in the pavilion and that there's a chance that it's actually brilliant?

Exactly...and, to Karl's first sentence in his reply, your diamond doesn't appear to be a Type IIb. Not a guarantee, but I'm not seeing any *obvious* signs of Type IIb. If there is boron present, then it may be such a miniscule trace that it could have zero impact on the body color, making it indistinguishable from a Type IIa.

floaty97

Rough_Rock
Exactly...and, to Karl's first sentence in his reply, your diamond doesn't appear to be a Type IIb. Not a guarantee, but I'm not seeing any *obvious* signs of Type IIb. If there is boron present, then it may be such a miniscule trace that it could have zero impact on the body color, making it indistinguishable from a Type IIa.

Thank you,
I really hope that in the end the diamond is well cut and that it shines at least normally... I didn't know that some diamonds graded ideal or excellent could actually be badly cut and not be brilliant, I thought that excellent cut, symmetry and polish with in addition good crown, pavilion, table and width angle values were the guarantee of a beautiful brilliant diamond even if the hearts and arrows are not well distinguished!
I hope there won't be any problems with this diamond in real life...
Anyway I guess that the only way to know if its a type 2a or 2b is to test it with a diamond tester (since 2b diamonds from what I've seen are conductive and therefore test like a moissanite)
Thank you !

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you,
I really hope that in the end the diamond is well cut and that it shines at least normally... I didn't know that some diamonds graded ideal or excellent could actually be badly cut and not be brilliant, I thought that excellent cut, symmetry and polish with in addition good crown, pavilion, table and width angle values were the guarantee of a beautiful brilliant diamond even if the hearts and arrows are not well distinguished!
I hope there won't be any problems with this diamond in real life...
Anyway I guess that the only way to know if its a type 2a or 2b is to test it with a diamond tester (since 2b diamonds from what I've seen are conductive and therefore test like a moissanite)
Thank you !

Definitely post your thoughts and impressions when you receive it (and lots of pictures and videos for us diamond enthusiasts to ogle over!) - there may be some local jewelers around you that have diamond testers that can distinguish the Type and Subtype.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi again everyone,
I just found this diamond right now https://www.brilliantearth.com/rings/cyorings/view_diamond/20169737/?loc_option=jscode#
Do you think that this one is better?
Do you think it's worth trying to change the order ?
Because honestly now I'm worried about the cut quality of the diamond I ordered :think:
Thank you !

Don't sweat it right now...wait until your ring arrives and assess it (as you'd do anyway, regardless of the diamond).

This one has a slightly steeper crown angle that is above what most members here recommend for a 40.8 pavilion angle.

It was also listed at Ritani for a fraction of the price that Brilliant Earth is asking (showing unavailable, so may have been recently sold):
Screenshot_20230620-100432-545.png

floaty97

Rough_Rock
Don't sweat it right now...wait until your ring arrives and assess it (as you'd do anyway, regardless of the diamond).

This one has a slightly steeper crown angle that is above what most members here recommend for a 40.8 pavilion angle.

It was also listed at Ritani for a fraction of the price that Brilliant Earth is asking (showing unavailable, so may have been recently sold):
Screenshot_20230620-100432-545.png

Okay I see, thank you !
I'm a little worried because I am not from USA and I won't have enough time to return it and remake a new order after the delievery, that won't be possible.
If the one I ordered is bad I will have to accept it as it is I don't really have the choice because unfortunately there won't be enough time for us to change it :???:
Wish me luck, this ring is supposed to last a lifetime I won't be able to change it easily (in 10 years maybe but not now:roll:)
Now I just wish it will at least sparkle normally like any other diamond that we see not specially being super sparkly...

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Okay I see, thank you !
I'm a little worried because I am not from USA and I won't have enough time to return it and remake a new order after the delievery, that won't be possible.
If the one I ordered is bad I will have to accept it as it is I don't really have the choice because unfortunately there won't be enough time for us to change it :???:
Wish me luck, this ring is supposed to last a lifetime I won't be able to change it easily (in 10 years maybe but not now:roll:)
Now I just wish it will at least sparkle normally like any other diamond that we see not specially being super sparkly...

Based on the *very* expert comments by Garry H (Cut Nut) (inventor of the Ideal-Scope and HCA Tool) and Karl_K (inventor of the Octavia cut), I'm inclined to say that you have nothing to be worried about. :)

floaty97

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much !:)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
FYI, if you really want to know if the stone has boron in it then simply see if it will pass a current of electricity.
IIb diamonds are slightly electrically conductive.
These multimeters are cheap as chips - see if it has a level of resistance:
SCA_4405_hi-res.jpg

floaty97

Rough_Rock
FYI, if you really want to know if the stone has boron in it then simply see if it will pass a current of electricity.
IIb diamonds are slightly electrically conductive.
These multimeters are cheap as chips - see if it has a level of resistance:
SCA_4405_hi-res.jpg

Okay thank you so much !
I will keep you updated :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not sure there is enough boron in a colorless IIb to pass a current

Not to the level that low cost meters could measure most likely.
They do not measure very high or very low resistance well.

floaty97

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
So here's a little update !!
I finally received my ring (it literally crossed oceans to get here)
And I'm so happy!
It's super shiny and I love it - I've literally fallen in love with it!
I'm just going to take it to a local jeweler so he can check that the setting is secure and I may have to redo the setting because I find the prongs a bit too thin, don't you? The band is 1.5mm I think it's a bit too thin too, anyway I'm very happy with the quality of the diamond.
I'll keep you updated on the electrical conductivity experiment.
Here's some photos of the ring 20230727_115109.jpg

Attachments

• 20230727_120805.jpg
    20230727_120805.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

floaty97

Rough_Rock
Small update number 2:
Soooooo it's a type 2b diamond !
The jeweler tested it with 2 kinds of testers, the first one measures electrical conductivity and the diamond tested as moissanite. I knew then it was type 2b, since type 2a never gives a false result (it always gives a diamond result, never a moissanite result).
He then tested with another tester, a kind of pen with a large screen that is able to differentiate between natural and laboratory diamonds, but also to identify other types of stones, and he showed us the screen "HPHT or CVD diamond".
It was very interesting, we talked about the "Hope" blue diamond which is also type 2b and can also be tested as moissanite since it contains boron that gives its beautiful blue color but also makes it an electrical conductor

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Small update number 2:
Soooooo it's a type 2b diamond !
The jeweler tested it with 2 kinds of testers, the first one measures electrical conductivity and the diamond tested as moissanite. I knew then it was type 2b, since type 2a never gives a false result (it always gives a diamond result, never a moissanite result).
He then tested with another tester, a kind of pen with a large screen that is able to differentiate between natural and laboratory diamonds, but also to identify other types of stones, and he showed us the screen "HPHT or CVD diamond".
It was very interesting, we talked about the "Hope" blue diamond which is also type 2b and can also be tested as moissanite since it contains boron that gives its beautiful blue color but also makes it an electrical conductor

That comes as a bit of a surprise to me - your diamond looks amazing and not a hint of grayish or bluish undertone that I can see from the video or your pictures.
Do you see any undertones within the body of the diamond in certain lighting conditions?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reading through this post, I am so glad you had a happy ending! It looks gorgeous in your photos! Wear it and enjoy it for awhile before you decide to change the setting. I think the prongs look fine. You don't want them big and bulky where they overtake the diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results