shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl Aaaah steamed pudding, just yummy! I love syrup pudding with a bit of good quality vanilla ice cream! :lickout:

You would have been proud of my ninja moves to get vanilla ice cream.

In and out in 5 min with ice cream and two bottles of cream (for whipped cream) and chicken thigh filets that I plan to marinate with lemongrass.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Vanilla ice cream so deserves ninja moves...... while maintaining social distancing of course! :lol:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vanilla ice cream so deserves ninja moves...... while maintaining social distancing of course! :lol:

Haha definitely!

I prowled around outside the store for 3 days to see when it would be empty at an obscure time in the afternoon.

I'm fortunate to live ten minutes (walk) from the supermarket. I can stand far away across the road, put on my glasses and check the volume of people.

If it's too many people for my liking I just continue on with my walk.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Spam question: For those of you saying you commonly make things with it, where do you live? In America I don't believe it's a widely popular thing. (Admittedly I'm painting with somewhat of a broad brush here, but not in a way that I mean to be condescending or anything else negative, simply thinking back through the things I've eaten over the years, so if I offend anyone I apologize in advance!) Anyway, this spam thing is just fascinating to me -- I'm really curious about how eating habits vary around the world!

Australia

@Dee*Jay

Most Aussies think it's pretty disgusting too. My friends who love it are usually
of Cantonese background. It's served with egg on sandwiches in the Hong Kong cafes or with packet noodles.

I'm Vietnamese and it was usually fried up as an extra dish to serve with rice when we thought there wasn't enough savoury food to go around.

A traditional Vietnamese meal is usually white rice with one or two meat dishes and a vegetable dish. So if the meat dishes were small or the cook was too busy to prep another one that day they might fry up some spam or make a spam omelette as an extra dish.

These days it's a treat for us because of how unhealthy it is. We eat it sparingly because it's rubbish but we long for the taste!
That sounds similar to how we eat it too.

In the US but grew up in Korea. I remember as a kid eating this straight out of the can. I know, gross, but I loved it.

We do almost always keep it around now too. It's usually sliced, dipped in egg, then fried, as quick side dish to eat with rice. I like it chopped in my kimchi fried rice or chunks in kimchi stew too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To reduce the gross and greasy factor, I slice spam really thin and bake it to let the oil out.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A simple way of using spam. I diced and fried it separately to give it a bit of bacon-like crunch and then drained the oil. Nothing special in the dish; some greens and eggs thrown in for a more balanced diet.
IMG_7909[1].JPG

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We grew up eating Spam. Actually, in Canada we had Clik, lol. Well, we still have it. I don't remember it being bad really. Not something I would seek out now, but in the olden days you didn't complain about what you were given to eat.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the replies on the Spam! In my mind it's like vegemite... which is another thing Dee ain't gonna actively seek out to eat any time soon!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering here...

Do you think the FDA will make chips and salsa its own category in the food pyramid this week or next?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made brownies for my son and I ate one...:roll2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg’s eating pretty well. Yummy. CF7A7756-BE83-4A17-933A-37E968642503.jpeg

The bakery order came. Ohhh emmm geee.
107BE554-2531-4E56-931F-2A02596C8465.jpeg

Greg said, and I quote “ it’s a damn good cookie”. :)

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
This thread is making me crave spam.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
Spam question: For those of you saying you commonly make things with it, where do you live? In America I don't believe it's a widely popular thing. (Admittedly I'm painting with somewhat of a broad brush here, but not in a way that I mean to be condescending or anything else negative, simply thinking back through the things I've eaten over the years, so if I offend anyone I apologize in advance!) Anyway, this spam thing is just fascinating to me -- I'm really curious about how eating habits vary around the world!

I want this. I wouldn’t know if it’s common in the Philippines but it’s sold in Filipino restaurants. I like Spam musabi, too.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To all the people that like Spam and to those that like Vegemite - that is just sad and wrong on so many levels!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::eek-2::lol::lol::lol::lol::shock:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I keep eating beef and turkey jerky. Sitting at the computer at home I want to snack. I figure that's better than a chip or something.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To all the people that like Spam and to those that like Vegemite - that is just sad and wrong on so many levels!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::eek-2::lol::lol::lol::lol::shock:

LOL I never tried it but don't think I will start. :lol:

So what you’re saying is you would like some Spam with Vegemite on top? :bigsmile::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Gracie is very determined and has a sweet tooth.
We have a sweet tooth in our household as do our kitties.:lol:

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 7.05.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 7.04.46 PM.png

All 6 plus lbs of her are very determined indeed.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what you’re saying is you would like some Spam with Vegemite on top? :bigsmile::lol:

I gag if I get near either, I only have to smell Vegemite (which my husband loves btw) and I gag!!!! :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Gracie is such a cutie!

@arkieb1 I’ve never had Vegemite so I’ll take your word for it. I can’t remember the last time I had Spam, but I do appreciate the nostalgic aspect of it.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This! hahahaha

(Actually, I have a confession. I used to like Marmite - a non vegetarian version of Vegemite - but I can't stand it now, lol).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I ate at the hospital for lunch today. It was good. My supper at home, waaa waa waaaaa.

cheers--Sharon

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I ate at the hospital for lunch today. It was good. My supper at home, waaa waa waaaaa.

cheers--Sharon

I think you might be the only person on the planet that says that hospital food is good! lol

(I hope you are ok..being at the hospital. Sorry I may have missed your post(s) about this).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the replies on the Spam! In my mind it's like vegemite... which is another thing Dee ain't gonna actively seek out to eat any time soon!

Ok this i can relate to
big vegemite fan - but one does not spread it on like its nutella

speaking of nuttella
Last night the Easter bunny worked in my kitchen and made 3 ingrediant choc hazelnut brownies
Im actually not a great fan of brownies and i had to bake it longer so it was cakey not fudgy as Gary doesn't like it sticky in the middle
it was just a jar of spread, 2 eggs and half a cup of flour- i added tia maria before and after baking

On the annoying side Gary found 2 weat husks in his ....it was white flour ???

Anyway so much for keeping it to Sunday- its all gone now

we had the strangest good friday breakfast ever
last night i had made curried sussages for tea using the new random sussage brand - Gary didnt like the rubbery texture but he liked the curry sauce
i had used up the rest of the thawed french onion soup i made last week, the end of the carrot salad (carrot, rasins, pinnapple and lenon juice) the end of the apple slaw -again only dressed with lenon juice, the end of a jar of the home made green onion relish, the usual frozen veg
I didn't have picillii so had to use mango chutney so i was really worried it was going to be too fruity but it was good and hot - thank you empire hot curry powder and the cabbage from the slaw seemed to thicken it up

anyway of course there were still left overs
it was so cold in the night so for breakfast Gary had lunch ! the leftover curry sans the sussages went into his tuna and noodles and i had the sussages ....
Followed by the brownie

for tea tonight i made fresh apple slaw (thank goodness i brought that bag of apples 3 weeks ago - they last so well in the fridge) oven fries and a hot dog in a roll with cheese, fried onions, mustard and sauce
Oh and we had a fresh tomato each that had rippened on the window sill
.....It was at least partly nutritous

Id murder for a steak or a piece of lamb and some broccoli and a bottle of sav blanc or even a glass of OJ.....oh well better days are ahead i hope
And thank goodness little Borris ate the store brand cat food today...although Tibby ate around the 3 peas and 2 pieces of carrot

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds are your shops selling limited produce or you can't get to the shops?

I found toilet paper today of all miracles!

And mascarpone! Watch this space for a cake tomorrow!

@missy You have to tell me what you are eating! I am super intrigued because the food you post is for Greg. What are you eating? Is that food not to your liking?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds are your shops selling limited produce or you can't get to the shops?

I found toilet paper today of all miracles!

And mascarpone! Watch this space for a cake tomorrow!

@missy You have to tell me what you are eating! I am super intrigued because the food you post is for Greg. What are you eating? Is that food not to your liking?

Its the getting out safely, im terrified of being around people incase i catch anything and bring it home

Only supermarkets are open selling groceries but its impossible to get our old delivery spot
I don't drive and some days Gary's eyes are not well enough so when we started getting deliveries last year it was brilliant

The smaller neughbourhod supermarket does a great job at what they do but they can only do so much with the space they have and also their prices hurt a bit, especially fruit and veg and meat

They have never run out of toilet paper and apart from flour there are no limits - i asked if it was ok to buy 2 x 2l of milk and she said - of course buy what you need
but 2 bags of groceries came to $100 and some of that was cat food

Im not sure if/ when things will go back to what they were ' hopefully our big supermarkets will employ more drivers and trucks - i can't even get a click and collect slot

Gary now has a cataract due to long term steroid eye drop use - he is surposed to be having it operated on as soon as its been six months since the infection cleared up but everything is now on hold due to covid 19

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are torturing me with delicious food pics! :snooty:
I am now eyeing up the Easter eggs hidden in the kitchen cupboard and I've only just had breakfast! :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results