shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ Looks super yummy!

I *love* crustless quiche almost more than traditional pastry quiche ... I make an egg-based casserole-y meal at least one night a week and got hung into a Mexican version and an artichoke/sun-dried tomato version, and now you've inspired me to alternate in the tomato/spinach/feta combo ... thank you jaysonsmom!

Quiche is my fav. mmmmm fav I will add more of SDT and arti's . Good combo.mmmmmmmm

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
Beef stir fry with snow peas, mushrooms, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts..
IMG_20200703_2317141.jpg

Wonton soup..
IMG_20200705_0015212.jpg

Garlic butter chicken breasts..
IMG_20200715_2251408.jpg

Blackberry chicken salad..
IMG-20200715-WA0000.jpg

And drive through Dairy Queen :dance:
IMG_20200707_1951439.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish we had butter pecan ice cream in Australia!!!!! I love pecans. It sounds like it's right up my alley. We do not have it!!!!! Whhyyyyyyyyy

They have Reece's peanut butter ice cream for goodness sakes! But no butter pecan!

So it was my turn to host a play date and I served up a big pasta bake for lunch. Everyone started asking why I wasn't eating.

DS7 calmly stated in the most matter of fact voice:

Oh Ma does not eat pasta unless it is cabonara. She will make herself a beef udon later if she's still in the mood. So next time she refuses to eat at your place don't be offended. She's a very difficult woman to feed.

Clearly my child knows me too well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish we had butter pecan ice cream in Australia!!!!! I love pecans. It sounds like it's right up my alley. We do not have it!!!!! Whhyyyyyyyyy

When this is all over and if you ever decide to come to our neck of the woods we will treat you and your family to as many LARGE butter pecan ice creams as you want. It's Greg's favorite flavor. I love it too but sadly Dave doesn't offer non dairy butter pecan.

homemade-butter-pecan-ice-cream-700.jpg

pecan-ice-cream-3-1.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @missy we were going to do a food tour of your country. We had it all planned. We were going to sell the old house and free up some cash to take DS7 travelling.

I'm part of a Vietnamese food group on Facebook. Many of the Vietnamese members live in CA and they get these GIANT, like GIANT jackfruits from the supermarket (Usually they say it's from Costco or Trader Joes????) for crazy cheap prices.

It's our favorite fruit and I would just love to go look for one in a US Costco one day.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Keto lasagna made with layers of cabbage "pasta", tomato sauce, ground beef and sausage, and of course, plenty of ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella.
Keto Lasagne.JPG

And for dessert, a low carb/keto chocolate cake with sugar free chocolate and caramel sauces and sugar free whipped cream.
Keto Chocolate Cake.JPG

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keto lasagna made with layers of cabbage "pasta", tomato sauce, ground beef and sausage, and of course, plenty of ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella.
Keto Lasagne.JPG

And for dessert, a low carb/keto chocolate cake with sugar free chocolate and caramel sauces and sugar free whipped cream.
Keto Chocolate Cake.JPG

Looks amazing!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very much not healthy... Went to the state fair today (fair closed, a few food vendors only, masks required, in car only) to get scones. The scones at our fair are delicious! I got hungry waiting so had an elephant ear (which I thought DH would enjoy but he didn't want any) and a Dole Whip.

Now having warm scones at home. They come like this. Already stuffed with butter and raspberry jam. Fresh baked in a huge oven in the building they sell out of. Took two hours in line (plus an hour each way to get there), but so worth it!

IMG_20200719_164247425.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lychees...

IMG_1265.jpg

Yum
yum
yum
yum
yum

never liked the tinned ones until i had them fresh of a tree in South Africa

I brought a handful one day - about $26 Kg
I still remember Gary spitting his out on the floor and it got carpet fluff all over it :(2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very much not healthy... Went to the state fair today (fair closed, a few food vendors only, masks required, in car only) to get scones. The scones at our fair are delicious! I got hungry waiting so had an elephant ear (which I thought DH would enjoy but he didn't want any) and a Dole Whip.

Now having warm scones at home. They come like this. Already stuffed with butter and raspberry jam. Fresh baked in a huge oven in the building they sell out of. Took two hours in line (plus an hour each way to get there), but so worth it!

IMG_20200719_164247425.jpg

Im sure it was delicouse but i just don't get the scone hype
maybe growing up with them ...
But you could have made about 5 batches in the time it took to buy those
they really are soooo eaay to make
even i can make really good ones

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@TooPatient same old question...are you using your smoker? I wouldn't mind a little hint of smoke here and there..peaches with asparagus and meatballs?

cheers--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im sure it was delicouse but i just don't get the scone hype
maybe growing up with them ...
But you could have made about 5 batches in the time it took to buy those
they really are soooo eaay to make
even i can make really good ones

I love making scones. There is just something different about these than what I do. Super light texture. It is actually a little different than you'd think for a traditional scone as far as texture goes. My homemade are delicious too but I can't duplicate this texture no matter what I do. (which is okay with me as the plain, blueberry, and other yummy scones I make are amazing anyway so these are a once a year treat)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@TooPatient same old question...are you using your smoker? I wouldn't mind a little hint of smoke here and there..peaches with asparagus and meatballs?

cheers--Sharon

We smoked a NY roast, potatoes & onions, and carrots again on Friday. Will be doing a corned beef brisket tomorrow (in pastrami rub) to thin sliced for DH's sandwiches.

My mouth hurt so bad that I am only eating real food (carefully) for the last two days. Looking forward to smoking lots more interesting stuff soon!

Oh! Did artichokes in the smoker before my extractions. That was delicious! Mixed butter and caramelized garlic together then wedged bits of it down under a bunch of the leaves. Slit the stem and added a splash of water and lemon juice to the pan. Smoked until browned but not dry. Served with an extra squeeze of lemon juice. So good!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love making scones. There is just something different about these than what I do. Super light texture. It is actually a little different than you'd think for a traditional scone as far as texture goes. My homemade are delicious too but I can't duplicate this texture no matter what I do. (which is okay with me as the plain, blueberry, and other yummy scones I make are amazing anyway so these are a once a year treat)

Well i queed up for two days to get to the front of a Bruce Soringsteen concert so each to their own :mrgreen2:

Its kind of psychological - growing up in the 70s we used to get lots of strikes
when the bakers were on strike and you couldn't buy bread mum would make scones
:(2
Soup and scones for Saturday winter lunch is not the same as soup and toast and i was already a fussy soup eatter
By the time i was 12 i was making bread long before fancy bread makers came along
Mum had to go to a hippy health food shop to get the yeast for me

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We smoked a NY roast, potatoes & onions, and carrots again on Friday. Will be doing a corned beef brisket tomorrow (in pastrami rub) to thin sliced for DH's sandwiches.

My mouth hurt so bad that I am only eating real food (carefully) for the last two days. Looking forward to smoking lots more interesting stuff soon!

Oh! Did artichokes in the smoker before my extractions. That was delicious! Mixed butter and caramelized garlic together then wedged bits of it down under a bunch of the leaves. Slit the stem and added a splash of water and lemon juice to the pan. Smoked until browned but not dry. Served with an extra squeeze of lemon juice. So good!

I hope your mouth is feeling better soon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well i queed up for two days to get to the front of a Bruce Soringsteen concert so each to their own :mrgreen2:

Its kind of psychological - growing up in the 70s we used to get lots of strikes
when the bakers were on strike and you couldn't buy bread mum would make scones
:(2
Soup and scones for Saturday winter lunch is not the same as soup and toast and i was already a fussy soup eatter
By the time i was 12 i was making bread long before fancy bread makers came along
Mum had to go to a hippy health food shop to get the yeast for me

That would be hard to move past! I have a few things that way too. Funny what the mind associates with unpleasant memories...

Homemade bread is delicious! I love that your mom got the yeast for you when it took going to a special store. I forget that yeast and baking bread wasn't always the mainstream thing. Or maybe it still isn't and I just have food loving friends?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That would be hard to move past! I have a few things that way too. Funny what the mind associates with unpleasant memories...

Homemade bread is delicious! I love that your mom got the yeast for you when it took going to a special store. I forget that yeast and baking bread wasn't always the mainstream thing. Or maybe it still isn't and I just have food loving friends?

Times have changed so much
i know grandma used to make butter and ice cream (when it snowed as they didn't have a fridge when mum was a wee girl) but bread always came from the shop
When we first started to get Saturday shopping in NZ one of the first places allowed to open were hot bread shops so all of a sudden bread wasn't just for toast and sandwhiches and filled rolls (a hogie)
Dad would take us all in and we would choose our meat pie and cake and then we would shear a French stick or a Vienna loaf

i used to make bread plats with seeds or cheese
mum even got me some vitiman c tablets - i think that made the bread soft
i guess it kept me out of trouble and was more palatable than the gooseberry pies i used to make from the wild gooseberries as i was a real sour puss and never liked to sugar fruit

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spanakopita from Aldi. It is fabulous and made in Greece. Could not make a better one myself! Someone shared a video of this on Tiktok and now it basically flies out of the freezer as soon as they stack it.

IMG_20200720_110532.jpg

Torta caprese I made tonight! Regular in our home! It freezes really well for when one has a dessert emergency.

IMG_20200720_235129.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yum

I brought a handful one day - about $26 Kg
I still remember Gary spitting his out on the floor and it got carpet fluff all over it :(2
It is late into the season for Lychees. I only pay $2.60 per lbs for these. The ones from a month ago tasted much better.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is late into the season for Lychees. I only pay $2.60 per lbs for these. The ones from a month ago tasted much better.

That's still about 1/4 the price !
Are they grown local ?
The ones i have brought were hardly fresh ....but i still enjoyed them
im planning on making a lychee cheesecake inspired by @mellowyellowgirl
I have elderflower and lime cordial, lime jelly and a tin of passionfruit for garnish and ginger biscuits for the base, cream cheese, cream ....but do you think i can find a tin of lychees anywhere ?????
We usually have the tridant brand and another brand? on the shelf here but everdently some freight it finding it hard to get into the country because there isnt enough flights coming in so air freight is exspensive
Before covid 19 I used to buy a tin of lychers every time i went to the super market

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results