shape
carat
color
clarity

How are these diamonds set? Would it be secure?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
How are these diamonds set? I have never really seen diamonds set this way. Also, would they be secure enough to not fall out with a year or so of wear? Do you think it could be sized one size smaller? Thanks for the help!
ring%20side.jpg

ring%20back.jpg

PS- Does anyone like it? I haven't made my mind up yet but we are considering it as a temporary setting for a year or so and then switching to a Ritani Endless Love w/o halo knock off. Let me know!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks as though the diamonds on the outside are bezel set while the diamonds on the inside are bead set. This ring can''t be sized as the diamonds go all the way around. The other concern I have is the cut outs between the stones, looks as though they could catch on something. They look rather sharp to me. If you can order it in your size, that would be the way to go. Have you tried it on, is it comfortable??

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
No, I haven't tried it on yet. Just seen it online. I didn't think about it catching on things, good point! I figured it couldn't be sized, but how do sizing beads work? My dilemma is that we don't have the money to get the diamond we want and the setting we want, so we want to get a temp setting and upgrade the setting in a year or so when we have jobs! He wants the temp setting to have diamonds on it since the finished ring will have diamonds on it, but most of the settings we like are $1-2k. Even Quest's quote was too much for what we wanted, though we will probably go with them for the upgrade setting. FYI this setting is about $200 so we would be able to spend $4,500 on the diamond. Sorry for babbling... I am just so confused!

ETA: Thank you so much for responding!! I have really valued your advice on this board and I was dying for a reply to this thread. Thanks!!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
This is the one we were considering from quest, but it is more expensive, $700 when all is said and done, and that would mean we would only have $4,000 for the diamond. Would the $500 make that big of a difference with a diamond? We would still be wanting to upgrade from this setting, as we want a 1/2 to 3/4 eternity pave. Also, does it look a little "prongy" to anyone? I just don't want to spend too much on a setting we will only be using for a year. Ugh, I am really living up to my SN!!!

GS-25316ER.jpg

ETA: I know that the Quest one is better quality, I am just trying to guage how important it is for a setting that will only be worn for 1+ year.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the second one better. Let''s be realistic here, you get what you pay for. $200 for a diamond setting?!? Sounds iffy. Also I think you will probably want to put in a gem (sapphire perhaps) in here for your RHR. It would look great in the second setting. I agree with kaleigh $500 is not a big difference and in the long run I think it is money well spent.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I see your point, but I really don''t wear rings much. I am worried about being able to wear an e-ring all of the time!! But it would be something I could pass on I suppose. I wish Quest had a setting upgrade policy
32.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. Either get the nicer Quest setting and use it for a few years and then upgrade your setting and use the Quest one for another stone, or just go ahead now and get a nice 14K wg Tiffany setting for $150 and put the rest toward the diamond. Then save for the Ritani next year (that is probably the smartest option)! I do not like the first setting at all...a plain Tiffany is far prettier than that, IMO!

brum

Rough_Rock
Hi ya,

Just my 2 cents.

If you''re seriously 100% determined to buy a new setting in a years time, surely its better to buy something plain, which can be melted down to support a new custom setting or to maximise trade-off.

Remember, there''s alot of couples out there who are not eager to put a used ring on the finger, though I can''t imagine many would request that the ring to be made from virgin metal!

You can also spend a year educating yourself, find your ideal setting, mix it up with your own artistic desires and locate the right jeweler to make this fantastic thing a reality.

I''m presenty having a ring custom made and I''ve really enjoyed the process so far. I aslo feel that i''m getting something a little unique.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My best advice is to put your money into the stone and get a simple solitaire setting and upgrade the setting when you can afford to. The first setting is going to be heavily included and high in color for that price. Have you decided where you will buy your stone??

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I know, but my boyfriend wants diamonds on the band of the original ring if there are going to be diamonds on the band of the finished ring, so a Tiffany setting is not an option. This is our ring so I want him to be happy with it too. I guess we will just have to wait and see what we can get for $4,000 vs. $4,500 when we go to GOG in March. I am just worried that people will think I am lying about my future asscher being a 1ct because it will only be about 5.5mm and will look more like a .75. I am just being silly though, so I guess I will have to get over it
15.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well if you are saying you will never wear this ring again once you get your "dream setting" by all means follow Kaleigh''s advice and get a plain tiffany setting. Trying to mimick your dream setting is unrealistic on your budget. I also think you will have NO problems wearing rings once you get used to it
2.gif
Another option is getting the setting of your dreams and use a high end CZ (until you can replace it) I know HOUmedgirl did this and is very happy with her decision. That way no one will ever know.
31.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if he insists on having diamonds on the temporary setting, then find one with CZ''s!!! But that is really money down the drain to use a setting for a year. And you aren''t going to get anything nice with diamonds for $200 unless there is someone here with an old setting they want to sell cheap!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, that was funny, Tacori! We both told her to get one or the other with CZ''s!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock

The first ring diamonds are G SI1 but I am sure they are not the best cut. As I said before, a tiffany setting isn't an option because of my BF's preferences, and I want him to be excited about the ring.

brum- we are going to have the upgrade made in platinum so that wouldn't work either. I also heard that melting down settings and making new ones wasn't really done?

A CZ is definitely not an option for us. Nothing against anyone else's choice but it is not for us. We probably will go with the Quest ring, I am just feeling like we are spending a lot on something that will be only worn for a year. I guess I am spending too much time on PS. Before I felt like a $5,000 budget was absolutely huge, but now I feel like it is embarrassing.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
You shouldn''t worry about what other people think. Most people cannot tell how large a stone is (at least not a difference of 1/4 ct) people either think my 1.72 is 2.5 cts or 1 ct. My 85 year old grandma saw it and her eyes bugged out and said "ohh...that is really big! Is it a carat?!?" So most people (PSers excluded of course) will take your word for it. Also if asscher is your stone of choice it will look smaller than say a pear but I don''t think that should change your mind. A jeweler once said 1/2 ct was portional to my 4.5 finger. She is probably right and that size would look great but I am more of a no rules kind of girl
11.gif

brum

Rough_Rock
Sounds crazy to trade off the carat weight or the quality of this life time symbol for a deposible setting.

See if you can use your amazingly persuasive powers on your fiancee to be!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2006 11:13:28 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Gosh, that was funny, Tacori! We both told her to get one or the other with CZ''s!

haha, yeah I guess we did. I told my FI if the only way I could get my Tacori was to have a CZ that was fine by me. Personally the setting was more important than spending that money on a larger, better diamond. Just a personal decision.

If your BF thinks it is so important than you better curb your spending and save up. Wait longer to get engaged, work overtime, help him pay for it, get a second job. The way I see it is you have to increase your budget OR get a smaller diamond to get a setting worth having. Is it a waste to spend $500 on a setting you will only wear for a year, probably, but honestly what alternative is there?

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your opinions. I guess it is a personal decision, and I probably shouldn''t have asked strangers. Thanks a lot though.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not trying to be harsh, I hope you don''t take it that way, but I am not sure you need our advice. It seems like your mind is already made up. Can you order the first band to see if you like it? Do they have a good refund policy?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes we are strangers to you. But we do care and want to help. I think the extra money for the Quest setting will be worth it. Pete is a great guy and perhaps you can work something out since this will only be a temporary setting. He was very easy to work with when he did my asscher ring. Just a thought, good luck.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I guess I don''t understand, but why must your temp setting have diamonds in it? The reasoning that your temp has to have diamonds since your perm setting will have diamonds just doesn''t make sense to me at all. In the end it obviously really doesn''t matter as long as it makes sense to the both of you, but before you go sacrificing $$ on your center stone, I would really stop and think about what you are saying. Sometimes it''s harder for you to see and understand what we mean since you are so close to the project and we are just bystanders.

Either way, I don''t like the first setting at all, and if it''s only $200, well that honestly scares me. But if you are going to only use it for a year, then why worry whether the diamonds may fall out after a year''s worth of wear? It''s just a temp setting after all.

Also, I would ask a jeweler about whether sizing beads will make the ring a whole size smaller. Seems to me that it would make the ring rather uncomfortable to wear since the beads would have to be rather large.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Kaleigh. I absolutely love your ring from Quest, and that is a huge consideration. What I need to do is actually go to Quest so we can see the setting in person. I am worried it is a little "prongy" but the more I look at it the less I think that. We just need to get a break from exams and projects and labs so that we can head home to Northern Va and check it out.

Tacori E-ring- My mind is definitely not made up. I have been playing devil''s advocate with myself and looking at the other options out there. I guess I am my mother''s daughter. I just can''t decide on anything until I have considered all the options. The Quest ring is actually our first option, we were just trying to get the whole picture. We don''t have the funds to get a designer setting and a 1+ct diamond but I don''t think that means we shouldn''t get engaged soon. We are just trying to get the most for our money.

Thanks everyone.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
How about getting this one from Pearlman''s Previously Owned Section: here
It''s $400.

036PO13A.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is $4000-$4500 going to get you a nice 1+ diamond?

Jelly, I like that setting. Nice!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock

I do like that setting. Thanks for posting it Jelly. We would have to have the head changed on that for an asscher anyway though, so it would be about the same as the Quest one. It is so pretty though.

"Is $4000-$4500 going to get you a nice 1+ diamond?"

That is not what this thread is about and we aren''t dead set on the 1ct. We will make that decision on our own, with GOG and we don''t need your advice on that aspect. You have felt very judgmental throughout this thread, but I suppose that is your right.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
How much will your dream setting cost? When I got my engagement ring this year, we started with a small diamond with my dream engagement ring setting. The setting cost just a few hundred dollars short of the center diamond, but I knew I would upgrade in the future. Since WF has an excellent upgrade policy, I knew that every dollar we saved would be used toward my upgrade, not the setting.

Here''s a crazy thought. How about getting your dream setting with a ROUND diamond? You''ll get a lot of bang for the buck all the time saving your money. Upgrade to an asscher in the future. The possibilites are endless!
1.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Haha all of these gorgeous ideal rounds here have tempted me thoroughly but I can''t get past the round as being my mom''s diamond shape!! It is totally silly but it is a mental block. We are going to look at a few Square H&As when we go up to New York though. I feel so bad for my BF, I am never going to make up my mind! My dream setting(of the moment) is only about $2,500 but we would rather keep the diamond that we got engaged with, rather than the setting. The sad thing is I was totally content when we had a 2k budget but now that it has been bumped up to 5k I am being way more picky. So all in all I am just crazy
19.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 12:36:33 AM
Author: indecisive
Haha all of these gorgeous ideal rounds here have tempted me thoroughly but I can''t get past the round as being my mom''s diamond shape!! It is totally silly but it is a mental block. We are going to look at a few Square H&As when we go up to New York though. I feel so bad for my BF, I am never going to make up my mind! My dream setting(of the moment) is only about $2,500 but we would rather keep the diamond that we got engaged with, rather than the setting. The sad thing is I was totally content when we had a 2k budget but now that it has been bumped up to 5k I am being way more picky. So all in all I am just crazy
19.gif
That''s what happens when you hang out on Pricescope too long!

Another warning...You get shrinkage really fast here! I personally am only getting emotionally attatched to my setting. That way, when I get rich and get a 3 carat stone, I won''t feel sentimental about my current center stone. When talking to Lesley at WF, I told her I was done upgrading and she giggled and said, "That''s what they all say!"

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
LOL so true! I think I am already getting shrinkage and that is the problem! I don''t know how much upgrading we will do as far as the diamond though. I also have a very expensve horse habit, so I think all we can deal with is one long term obcession. He is going to have to block PS from all our computers after we get engaged
2.gif
Thanks though Jelly. I have gotten a little too emotional about this and you really gave me a laugh! I will have to tell my BF that this is just one step to the eventual 3cts
11.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Have you lost sleep over which diamond and setting you will get? Do you wake up early just to go online to look at settings? I used to put out my hand and stare at it, imagining what each ring would look like on me!

This is a very exciting time for you. Enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results