shape
carat
color
clarity

how are eternity rings made in different sizes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, just a question for the experts out there!

I have been shopping for eternity rings lately and Im pretty sure I like 15 pointers.

But Im curious about how the rings get made with regards to how many diamonds are to be used. eg. how do the jewellers make the bands go up in half sizes, how do the diamonds fit every size possible? eg. if I want 15 pointers in a size 5 & 1/2 or a size 6.... would both bands have the same anount of stones, and how would one be bigger?

Today a sa told me something weird. She said that if I ordered an eternity band, the jeweller would have to tell me what size stones would fit my size and that could vary between 14- 16 pointers if I wanted 15 pointers.....depending on what ended up fitting best????

Anyway, Im really confused.

Facets site lists sizes with stone amounts and different sizes can have the same qty of (same size) stones. Maybe they space them out more in the bigger size????

TIA, Sharon

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would guess that the stone quantity would differ depending upon the size. A much larger size will have more stone, a much smaller size will have less stones. This is also reflected in the pricing - larger sizes usually cost more. For sizes that are very close, the diamond sizes will be very slightly different. Not all melees are going to be exactly the same carat weight and size, so the benchperson will pick them to fit.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi All,
To add to Chrono's answer:
To build a consistent ring the stones must be matched for millimeter size, versus point size.
You might have .15 and .16ct stones in the same ring as they may be the same mm size. As Chrono mentioned the jeweler will need to pick the stones based on the finger size.
In terms of adjusting the size, the inside of the ring can be beefed up a little to make the ring a little smaller- and a small amount of stretching may be possible if it's a little too small.
But generally, if you need any type of size adjustment on an all the way around., it's very difficult, if not impossible

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it`s the really close size differances that Im talking about.

I thought that a really well made eternity ring had calibrated stones, meaning they were all the same diameter.

Are you saying that for close size differences they use a smaller stone (than the others) here or there to fit them in?

I was wondering if they didnt just adjust the band from the inside, and make it thicker in height for a smaller size, and thinner for a bigger size?

The shop attendant seemed to think it was a very complicated thing that the benchman would work out depending on my exact size!!!! And they would tell me how big the stones would need to be. This seems to indicate that all the stones would be the same.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert.
9.gif

Okay, now that that disclaimer is out of the way, this is how I understand it's done. It's a little of both. The naked eye cannot tell 0.005 mm from 0.025 mm. This is how the benchperson sort of makes the right "mix" to get the stones to fit the size. Of course, such fine measurements can only be done to a certain extent. The rest is taken care of by the thickness of the metal inside the ring. Again, this is a very small amount, nothing that can be detected by the layperson.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results