shape
carat
color
clarity

How accurate is James Allen's videographies?

SNsPS

Rough_Rock
Hi All. Both stones below are exactly what I'm looking for in terms of proportions and budget. However, even though both are scored as H in color, there is a noticeable color difference between the two. The one on the right is slightly larger (2.26 AGS vs 2.12 GIA) and a $400 cheaper. My understanding is that there are ranges within in color range so if indeed JA videos are accurate then it's a no brainer for me and I'll get the one on the left. Asking the JA reps online they were giving the politically correct answer of course (won't notice it in person), but as the buyer, it matters a lot to me. Any ideas from the community here?

comparison.jpg comparison3.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any knowledge of their video process but the backgrounds appear the same color in both pics. I'd go for the left one.

anik7648

Rough_Rock
Hi All. Both stones below are exactly what I'm looking for in terms of proportions and budget. However, even though both are scored as H in color, there is a noticeable color difference between the two. The one on the right is slightly larger (2.26 AGS vs 2.12 GIA) and a $400 cheaper. My understanding is that there are ranges within in color range so if indeed JA videos are accurate then it's a no brainer for me and I'll get the one on the left. Asking the JA reps online they were giving the politically correct answer of course (won't notice it in person), but as the buyer, it matters a lot to me. Any ideas from the community here?

comparison.jpg comparison3.jpg

Most of these videos are not recorded by JA but by manufacturers (mostly in India now). I am not sure how prescribed and controlled the lighting conditions are and I personally wouldn’t use these videos to asses the color. It’s a very different thing when someone like Whiteflash puts diamonds next to each other and takes an image/video under the same lighting.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
If they are filmed in the same lighting, the diamond on the right appears to have much more body color. However, if it doesn’t bother you, and it’s bigger, I feel like cut quality would be a good tie breaker.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I purchased two stones of the same color from JA. The one that had more tint in the video was actually the whiter one IRL.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I trust the color grades from GIA or AGS more than what I see in pics or videos.

There are many reasons I do not believe color in pics and videos.
Why?
I am a photographer.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
JA diamond photos and videos definitely have a lot of variation. Their customer photos are even taken under different light so that sometimes really big differences in color are switched — an H looks colorless but a D has warmth. And the photos online magnify the difference in color between the side stones — usually f-g-h — and the warmer center stones. When I got a JA ring the side stones looked whiter in person FWIW. It’s hard to go off the cert if the certs say the same color. Since the certs are the same and the sales rep is not much help, go with the better cut first then the one that looks whiter to your eyes. Not much more to be done. Hope you find something lovely.

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
I trust the color grades from GIA or AGS more than what I see in pics or videos.

There are many reasons I do not believe color in pics and videos.
Why?
I am a photographer.

that's neat. Is it a matter of like a little bit of sunlight leaking in from a window or the setting on the camera not being right?

pandalicious

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to chime in and say I’ve spotted two incorrect videos from JA in the past, having seen other pictures and videos of the same diamond elsewhere. In both cases I asked the rep and they agreed that the videos they have up were completely wrong based on the inclusions and color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results