shape
carat
color
clarity

how accurate are D&J rare gems photos

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear this. I bought a dark blue spinel from John and it definitely has less sparkle than other spinels I have, however it still shows light blue sparkles in the dark blue color. I don't have any other dark spinel so not sure if they can sparkle more when they are quite dark to begin with.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

S

SparkliesLuver

Sorry it didn't work out, Niel. But it's always good to try!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel: thanks for posting the results; its really helpful to hear that his photos are not far off the mark, though this particular stone turned out to be a loser.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry it didn't work out, but can I make a tiny suggestion? For stones that dark, you might want to look close at Portuguese cuts. Its one way to get a dark stone but because of the amount of facets, you still get some sparkle too. Emerald cuts don't lend themselves well to dark stones like that; you get a flash or 2 but even then the stone has to really be cut really well. Just my experience.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1452545438|3974380 said:
Sorry it didn't work out, but can I make a tiny suggestion? For stones that dark, you might want to look close at Portuguese cuts. Its one way to get a dark stone but because of the amount of facets, you still get some sparkle too. Emerald cuts don't lend themselves well to dark stones like that; you get a flash or 2 but even then the stone has to really be cut really well. Just my experience.

Thanks. Like I siad I wasn't looking, I was just hoping this particular one would be nice.

Live and learn

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It turns out that for darker material, designs with many facets don't work that well. It's better with dark stones to have fewer facets. When I cut darker garnets, I have a round design with larger, fewer facets on the pavilion. The flip side is more facets create more scintillation, but more facets in a dark stone, just create a darker stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene,
Will more facets on the crown help it flash more? Say, a checkerboard style.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1452605534|3974692 said:
Gene,
Will more facets on the crown help it flash more? Say, a checkerboard style.

Yes, you can get what looks like flash and sparkle by more facets on the crown. What you are really seeing is glare on certain facets, but it gives the illusion of sparkle. Often an a dark stone I'll use a very simple pavilion to push light to the crown, but then checkers or multi facets on the crown to create this look of a lively stone as the stone is moved.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1452605352|3974691 said:
It turns out that for darker material, designs with many facets don't work that well. It's better with dark stones to have fewer facets. When I cut darker garnets, I have a round design with larger, fewer facets on the pavilion. The flip side is more facets create more scintillation, but more facets in a dark stone, just create a darker stone.

Hi Gene. I guess it would depend on how dark, right? Maybe a trick of light or whatever, but I always found that Portuguese cuts to be look best on darker stones.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Arcadian|1452625764|3974855 said:
PrecisionGem|1452605352|3974691 said:

Hi Gene. I guess it would depend on how dark, right? Maybe a trick of light or whatever, but I always found that Portuguese cuts to be look best on darker stones.

I have always found it to be quite the opposite. Portuguese cuts tend to darken a stone, and on a dark stone make them look black. Often commercially cut Portuguese cuts are cut with large windows, and the window may make the stone seem brighter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results