carat
color
clarity

How about this one?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a diamond I would buy.
HCA = 1.2 and Idealscope pic looks superb.
G VS2 is a wonderful comfort zone IMHO and it has no feathers.

GOG is an excellent vendor with great policies, with whom I have done business.

The only question I'd ask GOG is whether it is eye clean and discuss exactly what eye clean means.
GIA VS2s are almost always eye clean.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should be gorgeous. Go for it!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm.
Tough one.
Both are superb.

Have you seen GIA/AGS Hs in person?
If you are color sensitive you may want to stick with the G even though the color in person is VERY close especially when the diamonds are set.

I think I'd get the larger G, but it's not my money. :naughty:

If you have the means or credit, I'd buy them both, spend a couple days with them and return one.
You will have to pay for return shipping and insurance.
If you do this you can't use USPS Registered mail since their limit is $25K.
You'll have to use a secure carrier like Brinks or Malca Amit.

There is nothing like comparing diamonds in person in the comfort of your own home, and away from those deceptive jewelry store lights!!!!!

IbrahimSS

Rough_Rock
Let's put it this way... the extra money isn't going to make or break me but I won't be making any large purchases any time soon.

I think the G it is. I just spoke to the GOG folks and they seem really lovely. They said it's completely Eye Clean except under a loop or microscope. They were having a look at it when I called them.

I'm just going to do it. It's worth the extra cost in just the security have having a great stone, great vendor, and the relief of being done (for now). My friend was going to get me something from his uncle, who is a jeweler at cost. Frankly the problem is his brokers only provide me with GIA reports and no additional images, light analysis, or Idealscope photos. This is more assuring.

To answer your question, I honestly haven't even gone to see a single diamond. I'm completely ignorant with this stuff. It's one of those things where I'd rather just find trustworthy people to help me (which is why I ask people on this forum like yourselves!). Not to mention I'm not the one wearing it so even if I had an opinion I dont' think it would much matter.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can't go wrong with either one. I give the slight edge on CS to GOG, though. So I think you are making a fab decision! She is going to adore it! :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of those look nice as well.

As PPs have said depends on your personal preferences - how much you want to spend, how you feel about colour/size (size difference btwn those two will be visible and memorable, I think).

I know you are looking for higher clarity, but since it does seem that both colour and size are important on the budget I'll toss this one out there - it's a 2.4 G SI1 $34k. Numbers are fine, request IS if interested (JA will do three ISs for free)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1372124.asp
The crystal(s) are the grade-making inclusions (the reason it's SI1 instead of higher clarity) - and look perfectly placed to put under a prong, if you go with a pronged setting (again, ask JA for their opinions). This is what I did with my own stone, so I'm always on the lookout for these types.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nfowife|1310148023|2964826 said:
I think you can't go wrong with either one. I give the slight edge on CS to GOG, though. So I think you are making a fab decision! She is going to adore it! :love:

What does CS mean?

I've seen this before.

IbrahimSS

Rough_Rock
the JA stone gets a pretty bad HCA score

Selected: 62.1% depth, 58% table, 35.5° crown angle, 41° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish
HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003.

Factor Grade
Light Return Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 4.0 - Good - Only if price is your main criterion

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
CS= customer service

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IbrahimSS|1310160045|2965002 said:
the JA stone gets a pretty bad HCA score

Yeah, I would definitely want an IS to see if it's worth considering. My reply concerning HCA in your other 2.47 thread (which I definitely think is worth having shipped out to look at if the price is good).
If you were looking for a 1ct H SI you'd have tons of options, so using the HCA to mercilessly weed through the huge inventory is to your benefit - you know HCA has limitations that mean you're passing some beauties by, but you don't have time to go through all of them and you have plenty of options so you don't need to anyway. But given that you're looking for pricier, harder to find stones and you don't have tons of options, considering stones that might well have fallen through the cracks due to limitations of the tools you're using (like that 2.47) levels the playing field a bit. This JA might be one of them - or might not, IS and gemologist's opinion will tell you more. Obviously if you are not interested that's fine too!

IbrahimSS

Rough_Rock
I'm guessing IS means "independent survey"?

I replied to you on that other thread. (thanks for your reply!) The issue with that 2.47c is I'm not sure what the return policy is etc. The folks at GOG seem very nice. People here say they are reputable. The price and size aren't "that" much different (or are they :???:?). I'm not sure I'd get a light report, etc from the other guy.

Plus I don't know how to evaluate the diamond or who to go to do to it. I'm usually a quick learner but diamonds have really been a struggle for me. So many factors, so many vendors, so much money in the game!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GOG stone looks gorgeous! I have done business with them and can tell you that Jonathan is not only nice, but I have the utmost respect for him.

(IS means idealscope image)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm in love with the GOG stone as well, but that of course is because I have more information about this stone than the others. GOG has a fantastic reputation as well, so it's a purchase you can feel comfortable about making. Very exciting! :appl: I can't wait to see how you set whichever you choose!

IbrahimSS

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1310411508|2966636 said:
I'm in love with the GOG stone as well, but that of course is because I have more information about this stone than the others. GOG has a fantastic reputation as well, so it's a purchase you can feel comfortable about making. Very exciting! :appl: I can't wait to see how you set whichever you choose!

Now you have me curious! What extra information do you have about the stone? I'd love to know!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
IS = idealscope image.

extra information...GOG provides more photos/etc than other vendors.

it looks like a great choice, congrats :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results