shape
carat
color
clarity

Hot Spring and diamond and precious metal

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Dear All,

I would greatly appreciate some professional advice regarding the safety of wearing my diamond jewelry in a hot spring spa resort. The vacation that I will be going to includes hot spring spa pools both outdoor and indoor, and I would feel safer to keep my jewelry "on me" instead of in the hotel room.

Is the hot spring water safe for platinum and diamond? I also have a pendant that is rhodium plated over 14K yellow gold. Will the sodium bicarbonate of hot spring do damage to any of them?

Are there any other gem stones and metal that would be safe to wear while soaking in the hot spring?

Thank you!!!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Platinum and diamonds I'm sure will be fine. Keep anything rhodium plated or delicate stones out just to be safe.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Agree - with platinum there is very little you need to worry about. Anything with plating, I'd keep out.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not damage for Pt, diamonds but probably will get salt deposit. Might need a good cleaning, soaking afterwards?

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all!
I was also wondering, if a 14K white gold chain may turn yellowish because of the chemical reaction from the spring? Thanks!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
zhuzhu|1313408145|2991114 said:
Thank you all!
I was also wondering, if a 14K white gold chain may turn yellowish because of the chemical reaction from the spring? Thanks!
Yes, it's probably plated too.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I dont think 14K white gold is "plated". I believe white gold is made "white" by differing composition of metal.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a little too nervous nelly, as many of you know, and I would not wear jewelry of any metal or kind in this situation. You have no idea really what alloys you have going on and what kind of reaction could happen to any chemical compound in the water, or the heat even.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
zhuzhu|1313503660|2991859 said:
I dont think 14K white gold is "plated". I believe white gold is made "white" by differing composition of metal.

Most WG is plated with Rhodium. I'd be safe and leave it out. I generally leave most of my good jewelry at home when doing a vacation that involves water, beaches, pools etc. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results