soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. No words.

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 9.42.06 AM.png

ABKIS

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's fine. You can find me as vile and disgusting as you like. I'm pretty (read: totally) unbothered by your hatred.

I am, however, bothered by the shocking number of mass murders committed by guns in the US. And being told by second amendment absolutists (most of whom laughably refer to themselves as 'originalists') that it's "not the time nor the place to “prevent further tragedies” with anti-gun messages when bodies are still bleeding out on the floor" smacks of emotional blackmail from a group who will never believe there's an appropriate time or place for that discussion, and so, carries zero weight with me.

Exactly. There's never an "appropriate" time. :nono:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump said his lawyers told him he could change the 14th amendment LOL. He only hires the best! What a liar. Can this man EVER tell the truth?
IMO, At least one of the parent should be a US citizen before the child is granted as a US citizenship at birth.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The behavior he/she condoned is why I find him/her vile & disgusting. Read the entire exchange. No different than you or others on here finding my inabaility to ‘believe all women’ the same. Opinions ...
I have been following this thread since the start along with the Kavanough thread which you are referring to in the quote above...not one single person suggested or demanded that you "believe all women".

People were dismayed that when the hearing was examined as a whole, you found him to be more credible than Dr Ford That conversation escalated when you were unable to debate why you believed him over her without the conversation deteriorating into a castigation of feminism and the insinuation that anyone who believed her to be more credible, was clearly spellbound by the "me too" movement.

No one suggested that you were vile or disgusting for not believing her. While many may have disagreed with you on that point you decided to start with the name calling and feminism bashing and the exchange went down hill quickly from there. I believe that many on both sides have realized that they let things get heated and out of control in that thread and many apologies were made.

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the intention of the 2nd amendment was for citizens to have as many guns as they want, to have AK 47s. The intention was for a group of 'men' to form a militia together, but we live with the over the top interpretation by the right.

I have been thinking about this today and I am not sure how he plans to do this. There are several different explanations/interpretations of the 14th being discussed out there. The intention was not for foreign born people to come here to have babies in order for them to be US citizens as is happening now. I guess we'll see how this pans out but he is probably talking out of his ass on the EO because of midterms coming up. He can't change an amendment to the Constitution with an EO.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the intention of the 2nd amendment was for citizens to have as many guns as they want, to have AK 47s. The intention was for a group of 'men' to form a militia together, but we live with the over the top interpretation by the right.

I think the intent was to keep the government from being able to overcome the people. I think the Founding fathers, fighting one revolution against King George III, wanted the Americans who came after them to be able to have the arms to fight against any future oppressive government that might come along.

I do not think they foresaw a world where people would use weapons such as semi-automatic rifles on schoolchildren.

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump cannot control himself. His need to fight anyone who dares to disagree with him will always get him to to step on his own feet.

This is excerpted from today's "The New York Times".

"Trump Attacks Ryan, Who Scoffed at Birthright Citizenship Plan

WASHINGTON — President Trump lashed out at the top Republican in the House just six days before the midterm elections, elevating a fight within his own party over the president’s desire to end birthright citizenship.

Paul D. Ryan, the retiring House Speaker, said on Tuesday that the president “obviously” cannot do away with birthright citizenship with an executive order, as the president said on Tuesday and again on Wednesday that he would do. The guarantee of citizenship for those born in the United States is the long-accepted interpretation of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.

With the election less than a week away, Mr. Trump not only introduced this new element to his immigration portfolio, he also moved to ignite a fight within his own party over an issue that does not have wide Republican support and that would immediately face legal challenges."

AGBF

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
PS MEMBERS, You are about to lose this thread.

No name calling, death threats, disparaging names tossed at political leaders, etc. Keep it civilized discussion.

Fair warning that if you break these rules, you'll be given a time out. And if this is your second offense it will be a long one. If people cannot behave themselves, we will close this thread and others on similar topics.

Act.Like.Adults.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yea, especially in Chicago ... Why isn’t Obama Monday-morning quarter-tweeting about the violent gun crime there after repeated weekends of bloodshed on his own hometown streets? :crickets:

I can't tell what you are complaining about. Originally it was that you felt strongly that our gun violence problem should not be addressed while there were bodies still on the ground. Now it sounds like it upsets you that Obama spoke out about tougher gun control laws before visiting UCC victims families but didn't regularly do the same for the families of Chicago gun violence victims. Which is it - should he be have been speaking out or not? When? What did you feel so strongly about again?

IMO, the reason politicians and citizens in general don't address what's going on in Chicago is because the violence is mostly restricted to the poorest neighborhoods, is gang-related, and usually doesn't qualify as a "mass shooting." It doesn't affect our psyche the way a shooting at a synagogue, temple, movie theatre, rock concert, school, does. We have no reason to be in a gang infested Chicago neighborhood so we gloss over any news about what goes on there. We also tend not to notice ordinary gun deaths. A child killed by a gun accident in a home is no big deal to us. You have to have a whole group of them slaughtered for people to get anguished about it for a couple of months.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't tell what you are complaining about. Originally it was that you felt strongly that our gun violence problem should not be addressed while there were bodies still on the ground. Now it sounds like it upsets you that Obama spoke out about tougher gun control laws before visiting UCC victims families but didn't regularly do the same for the families of Chicago gun violence victims. Which is it - should he be have been speaking out or not? When? What did you feel so strongly about again?

IMO, the reason politicians and citizens in general don't address what's going on in Chicago is because the violence is mostly restricted to the poorest neighborhoods, is gang-related, and usually doesn't qualify as a "mass shooting." It doesn't affect our psyche the way a shooting at a synagogue, temple, movie theatre, rock concert, school, does. We have no reason to be in a gang infested Chicago neighborhood so we gloss over any news about what goes on there. We also tend not to notice ordinary gun deaths. A child killed by a gun accident in a home is no big deal to us. You have to have a whole group of them slaughtered for people to get anguished about it for a couple of months.

I’m not complaining. I merely voicing my opinion - just like EVERYONE else here does. It;s only ‘complaining’ when it;s opposing views. SSDD.

My point was clear.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been following this thread since the start along with the Kavanough thread which you are referring to in the quote above...not one single person suggested or demanded that you "believe all women".

People were dismayed that when the hearing was examined as a whole, you found him to be more credible than Dr Ford That conversation escalated when you were unable to debate why you believed him over her without the conversation deteriorating into a castigation of feminism and the insinuation that anyone who believed her to be more credible, was clearly spellbound by the "me too" movement.

No one suggested that you were vile or disgusting for not believing her. While many may have disagreed with you on that point you decided to start with the name calling and feminism bashing and the exchange went down hill quickly from there. I believe that many on both sides have realized that they let things get heated and out of control in that thread and many apologies were made.

You didn’t read posts close enough if you didn’t see ALL the posts chastising me, Red, and at least one or two others for not “believing all women” ... your comment is laughable, seriously! :lol-2:

I outlined why I found her to not be credible. And coupled with NO evidence or corroboration from her or anyone else (even after the additional FBI investigation), the law in this country is the accused is innocent until proven guilty. You may not agree with it ... that’s your prerogative ... but that is the LAW.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Octo2005 PS - Kavanaugh has declined the GoFundMe money raised for him, which doesn’t surprise me in the least. Has Ford? Last I read, she is shopping book deals ... ‘nothing to gain’ my backside. :roll:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just over here wondering where these trolls will go next...
Been here for it--super entertaining! But now what?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Maria D Quote. IMO, the reason politicians and citizens in general don't address what's going on in Chicago is because the violence is mostly restricted to the poorest neighborhoods, is gang-related, and usually doesn't qualify as a "mass shooting." It doesn't affect our psyche the way a shooting at a synagogue, temple, movie theatre, rock concert, school, does. We have no reason to be in a gang infested Chicago neighborhood so we gloss over any news about what goes on there. We also tend not to notice ordinary gun deaths. A child killed by a gun accident in a home is no big deal to us. You have to have a whole group of them slaughtered for people to get anguished about it for a couple of months.Quote

:confused: Chicago has some of the toughest gun laws in the country for one thing, along with a long standing corrupt Democratic government. Gang related, yes. Poorest neighborhoods only? Not exclusively, no. Your comments are offensive to say “It doesn’t affect our psyche the way a shooting at a synagogue, temple, movie theater, rock concert, school does. We have no reason to be in a gang infested Chicago neighborhood so we gloss over any news about what goes on there.” In your opinion (and you are speaking collectively for the rest of us apparently) as long as we (I take that to mean privileged white people) don’t frequent poor black neighborhoods in Chicago, we can gloss over the thousands of shootings that occur there because that doesn’t effect “us”. What an interesting interpretation you have. Certainly racist comes to mind and uninformed.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have to agree with @Bonfire here...maybe MD will rephrase.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Octo2005 PS - Kavanaugh has declined the GoFundMe money raised for him, which doesn’t surprise me in the least. Has Ford? Last I read, she is shopping book deals ... ‘nothing to gain’ my backside. :roll:
How can she write a book if she have forgotten so many details of the ordeal? Where is the house? how she got there? how she left?
Idunno1.gif
none of her friends can corroborate her story.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Maria D , We are at the point where we are desensitized by mass shootings because have become the norm in our country. We had three mass shootings in a day last month and it was reported on the news for a few moments and no one mentions it afterward. For those of us living near Chicago, its never easy to hear yet another person has lost their life do to gun violence. My thoughts always go to how these families will never be the same or that they will get over the loss of their loved one.

I was called disgusting here last Saturday when I said a mass shooting was taking place in a Pittsburg Synagogue. This crime stood out because it was a hate crime and Trump has not condemned white supremacy. I tend to think it’s disgusting that our country allows AR-15 and weapons with high capacity magazines to be legal. Last Saturday’s murders were committed with a gun that was legally purchased. Let’s also be honest about the majority of mass shooting are committed by white males, not minorities or people in the county illegally. Stating the facts doesn’t make me a person that has anything against white males. It is just a fact.

Trumps rally tonight was full of more hateful rhetoric. Something is very wrong when the only thing that matters to our politicians is winning at all cost.

@Dancing Fire, Clearly your comment was made to anger those who have been sexually assaulted. Like I have stated before, statistically the odds are pretty great that one of your daughters or granddaughters will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime. If this should happen to one of them I think you may feel ashamed by some of the comments you have made here. In fact I’m fairly sure the only you will feel is their pain. If someone held a gun to your head for 1/2 hour and you felt they were going to kill you, the color of their shoes or the color of the bedspread in the room is probably not something you would be focused on. In moments like this wondering if you will live another few minutes or thinking of your loved ones take priority, Random things will stand out to you too, but they may not be the things the police would think you would focus on. People’s minds generally do strange things to help them get thru these situations. I know you and I may not agree on politics, but I need to know if you enjoy saying things that you know will hurt me or others here. I know with complete certainty if you said one of your family members went thru something awful, I would do my best to be supportive and kind to you.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire, Clearly your comment was made to anger those who have been sexually assaulted. Like I have stated before, statistically the odds are pretty great that one of your daughters or granddaughters will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime.
Ford said she was sexually assaulted by Kav., but none of her friends can corroborate her story ?

And as for gun control? I'm in favor of more restrictions on high power auto rifles which I don't think is legal here in Ca.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS MEMBERS, You are about to lose this thread.

No name calling, death threats, disparaging names tossed at political leaders, etc. Keep it civilized discussion.

Act.Like.Adults.
Yup, Like DF. :praise:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have to agree with @Bonfire here...maybe MD will rephrase.

I suggest you both reread what she wrote. You are inferring far too much. All she said was that individual shootings that occur do not have the emotional impact of mass shootings.

AGBF

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morning! Ella has warned us, fairly, I will do my part to be nicer and professional :)

My husband was directed or found this video which he fthinks explains what happened to our politics in America. So if you would, view it at your leisure. It will sound partisan to republicans/conservatives - as the presenter even says - but the basis of this video is a gentleman from the American Enterprise Institute, a known conservative group. So we all have to push our politicians to work together, not tit for tat. I think anyway. It's a good video, if you disagree then just use the numbers and graphs the presenter presents!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest you both reread what she wrote. You are inferring far too much. All she said was that individual shootings that occur do not have the emotional impact of mass shootings.

AGBF
I comprehend her post just fine , thank you Deb

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From August of 18. (edited because I cant read!) :)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...ce-gun-rahm-mccarthy-0812-20180810-story.html

According to what I read, there has been poor government, systemic poverty, limited to small areas of Chicago, mainly black, and that is not racist, that is fact, there's a difference. Cuts in social programs has hurt these areas, access to guns, uncooperative citizens who fear police and don't want to snitch.

Your post sounds to me as though you perhaps thinks it's entirely just democratic caused, I don't so but certainly they should take a lot of the blame :) crime is declining there. We just need to hone up the commuity and the cops so they can trust each other. I think that would go a long way to catching more of the criminals/killers etc.

@Maria D Quote. IMO, the reason politicians and citizens in general don't address what's going on in Chicago is because the violence is mostly restricted to the poorest neighborhoods, is gang-related, and usually doesn't qualify as a "mass shooting." It doesn't affect our psyche the way a shooting at a synagogue, temple, movie theatre, rock concert, school, does. We have no reason to be in a gang infested Chicago neighborhood so we gloss over any news about what goes on there. We also tend not to notice ordinary gun deaths. A child killed by a gun accident in a home is no big deal to us. You have to have a whole group of them slaughtered for people to get anguished about it for a couple of months.Quote

:confused: Chicago has some of the toughest gun laws in the country for one thing, along with a long standing corrupt Democratic government. Gang related, yes. Poorest neighborhoods only? Not exclusively, no. Your comments are offensive to say “It doesn’t affect our psyche the way a shooting at a synagogue, temple, movie theater, rock concert, school does. We have no reason to be in a gang infested Chicago neighborhood so we gloss over any news about what goes on there.” In your opinion (and you are speaking collectively for the rest of us apparently) as long as we (I take that to mean privileged white people) don’t frequent poor black neighborhoods in Chicago, we can gloss over the thousands of shootings that occur there because that doesn’t effect “us”. What an interesting interpretation you have. Certainly racist comes to mind and uninformed.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...ce-gun-rahm-mccarthy-0812-20180810-story.html

According to what I read, there has been poor government, systemic poverty, limited to small areas of Chicago, mainly black, and that is not racist, that is fact, there's a difference. Cuts in social programs has hurt these areas, access to guns, uncooperative citizens who fear police and don't want to snitch.

Your post sounds to me as though you perhaps thinks it's entirely just democratic caused, I don't so but certainly they should take a lot of the blame :) crime is declining there. We just need to hone up the commuity and the cops so they can trust each other. I think that would go a long way to catching more of the criminals/killers etc.

This is an opinion piece my a liberal columnist for the Trib. You need to read much more than this to get caught up on the dynamic of gang shootings plaguing Chicago. @maria D’s comment “we have no reason to be in a gang infested Chicago neighborhood so we gloss over any news about what goes on there.” Maybe her opinion, even though she speaks for others, but it’s a blatantly racist and ignorant comment. I guess black on black gangbangers shooting each other and those in their crossfire isn’t worthy of your notice or empathy. It’s only about what effects YOU. Democratic leadership is only one of the problems in Illinois...research more.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Is it your opinion that we, as a society, pay as much attention to shootings in Chicago as we do to mass murders in churches, concerts, schools, etc? I don't agree. People are getting killed and maimed in violent gun shootings everyday everywhere in the U.S. We only seem to gasp in horror when it's a mass shooting in a place we can relate to and then only for a short amount of time. I never said we "can" gloss over, as if it were justifiable, I said we as a society do and I gave my opinion on why that is. Maybe you personally don't - maybe you hold vigils and are distraught for all victims. I don't see that IRL but maybe it is different for you.

Getting back to the point, @the_mother_thing feels strongly that Obama shouldn't have spoken out about tougher gun laws when the UCC victims were still bleeding on the ground. Not the time and place for that. I responded that there's always bodies on the ground, inferring that there would never be a "right" time and place. @the_mother_thing then complained that Obama never said enough or did enough about gun violence in Chicago. I was confused by her contradiction. (Now I see it wasn't a contradiction so much as a random "whataboutism" statement.) I offered an opinion on why Obama may have been more inclined to speak out about gun control in Oregon (mass shooting at a college) than in Chicago (mostly gang related shootings in mostly poor neighborhoods). I believe he's reflecting the psyche of the American people. Is this racist? (You brought up racism.) Yes, and also classism, in my opinion. All lives, including black lives and poor lives, should matter.

Personally, I am emotionally unaffected by all of it. The Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre was the turning point for me. I actually believed change would come. Not only did legislation for tougher gun laws not pass, gun sales in the Newtown area increased dramatically. When there's a mass shooting now I don't shed a tear or feel a thing. Even when it's a high school massacre - and I teach high school. (Just blew half a prep period on this comment.)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was a really interesting video @Tekate. We have a similar movement happening here with our two more socially liberal parties remaining pretty consistent, and our conservative party that has historically been fairly centrist is now seeming to be going in more extreme directions. I wonder if it’s because people feel that their world is changing in directions they are uncomfortable with (multiculturalism, global economies, the loss of rural communities as jobs become increasingly more urban, increased secularism, increased acceptance of non-traditional gender roles, etc.), and are getting more and more desperate to turn back the tide. It’s easy to see how people can get extreme if they genuinely feel that their way of life, their values, and their faith based beliefs are being lost. What makes me sad is that I don’t see it as an either or. Being respectful of other people’s choices doesn’t mean that you have to live your life the same way. But perhaps that’s part of the divide.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results