shape
carat
color
clarity

Home Office Make-over ... calling ‘designer-types’ for input

Which style rug would you choose for this space/furniture?

• Option A

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Option B

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Option C

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Option D

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Option E

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Option F

• None/something else/please specify in comments

• Total voters

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @yennyfire :wavey:

I found a few more round rugs that I liked for various reasons ... any of these strike anyone’s fancy or would get a hard-pass? I keep teetering between liking something with a little/lot of color vs ones that are more muted & neutral. :doh:

EEE2E661-385F-434B-9237-040551FCC1FC.jpeg

I like this one because it has color, but it looks soft and understated... I'd do some similar colored accessories and a nice arrangement of flowers in very neutral colors - with a few pops of bright green.

Of the first choices, I voted A... but I like the idea of round and subtle colors better. :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I’ve landed on this rug. While it doesn’t have a ‘punch of color’, I really like the Ogees, that the pattern is symmetrical, not overwhelming but yet has ‘presence’, and will be versatile enough to allow me to add color in the room in other ways.
AA14B382-E26E-43AE-BC96-6AA9FC62A6AE.jpeg
4193B12A-937A-4C83-9CFD-BDBA39E505C5.jpeg
903D8B0D-DF0E-48A0-9BFA-269E5DAE1FB0.jpeg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous rug!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again to everyone for the input! I placed the order for the rug (and a few other items I will need for the new set-up). I will definitely be back with pics once it’s all here & set-up. :wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a quick update: everything has arrived except the desks, which are being delivered Saturday afternoon. That works perfectly because it won’t interrupt my regular work day. I’ll have time to finish my day tomorrow, then get things moved out of the office tomorrow afternoon, do a quick deep clean in there (e.g., wipe down baseboards that were behind furniture, etc.), and have it ready to go for the delivery Saturday. I can’t wait; it’s almost as exciting as waiting for a new piece of long-awaited jewelry to arrive ... almost. :lol:

The rug I chose is really pretty in person, and I think it’ll look perfect in the room with the furniture. I’d say it’s almost exactly like the ‘model room’ picture I posted above, in that the color that appears super light gray in the static rug pic is a slightly more light blue/gray color IRL. I also ordered new monitor stands and glass desk protector pads, but that’s it for now, as I didn’t want to buy too much until I saw how the desks & rug will look together.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! Need pics when you are all done.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Furniture guys just arrived and are doing their thing, so I am just sitting here waiting to put my office back together when they finish. In the mean time, here is the rug I chose in the room; I really like it!

654A04C8-CCED-4E8A-94E0-0E0F622BB1DB.jpeg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Furniture guys just arrived and are doing their thing, so I am just sitting here waiting to put my office back together when they finish. In the mean time, here is the rug I chose in the room; I really like it!

654A04C8-CCED-4E8A-94E0-0E0F622BB1DB.jpeg
Love it! Great choice! Looking forward to seeing the finished room.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welllllll we won’t be seeing a ‘completed room’ today ... or for another week or so at this point. :cry:

Only half of the L-shape desk was shipped, and the half that did ship ... was damaged on the rounded end which would be facing you as you walk into the room. So for right now, I only have the one big desk which I’ve placed along the wall since that is where my computers/monitors need to be for hard-wired network connectivity. The L-shaped desk may be here as early as this coming week or it could be another two weeks.

I’m not thrilled right now, as I had to take everything apart/out for this delivery, need to set my entire office up to work on Monday, then take it allllll down/apart again and reset it up a second time once the replacement desk arrives.

So for the time being, here is what I have to share. At least it looks pretty (I think). =)2
4DAEB000-F3ED-4488-A914-A38D103BD251.jpeg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, what a pain! I don't blame you for feeling frustrated @the_mother_thing. But the desk and the rug look perfect together!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once it's done you will have a beautiful workspace! So sorry you are having all the trouble.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @junebug17 & @redwood66 It’s frustrating for sure, but I am trying to remember - in the grand scheme of things - it’s totally a first world problem to not have new furniture delivered as expected.

I won’t know until Monday when the other/replacement desk will arrive, but hopefully they can expedite it somehow so it’s not another two weeks.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooooo guess what L-shaped desk is no longer in-stock/available. :wall:

The new plan B ‘second’ desk (for the work computer set-up) and matching cabinet will arrive on Wednesday. They also have a distressed finish and a gray top-surface, so I’m crossing my fingers it works/matches close enough to the big desk that did arrive. Both items look to be slightly ‘creamier’ off-white than the big desk in the Wayfair pics; however all of the customer pictures show it being more ‘white’ than ‘cream’ (but still not ‘stark white’), and the hardware is close in style/complimentary (I think) and same color, so I’m hoping overall it will match close enough to not drive me bonkers. If it doesn’t, I’ll likely return the big desk that did arrive and choose another ‘main’ desk in a contrasting color.

Wayfair picture:
EDCC0D05-D1AB-4E53-AC38-86E0D40653C8.jpeg

Customer picture:
FF1E577A-628E-4469-B0B6-63EB5A74A2BA.jpeg

Wayfair picture:
D6024C98-9A48-4317-97CB-7ADA29A71BB2.jpeg

Customer picture:
FEB91E61-5A3F-4B98-AD00-6AB02AA710A6.jpeg

My picture of the ‘Big Desk’ that did arrive:
E481A81B-5D40-4E11-9772-3C567513862B.jpeg

Stay tuned for more on this episode of ‘T_M_T’s home office makeover’. :wavey:

Attachments

• F7BA782B-6EBC-47A0-8A17-DFEF876D336F.jpeg
    F7BA782B-6EBC-47A0-8A17-DFEF876D336F.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 17

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
@the_mother_thing I'm following you along this saga as I am currently turning my upstairs loft area into the homework area for the kids (and hopefully has enough space to stick a small desk for me to use too). I hope the new desk turns out good for you so you don't have to deal with returning and shipping again.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a bummer! The out of stock is super annoyo. Your rug looks fantastic, and I love the desk that did come... I hope the Plan Bs coordinate so you can keep it!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crap. The other one already went back? So sorry. The new ones look nice though.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well shoot, that stinks :(2 But I really like your plan B! Going by the customer pics, it looks like the new pieces will match the desk you have...hoping this all works out for you!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry that I am late to the party. I have one thought about putting a desk in front of the bay window. First, the sun can cause damage to wood, and make sitting in front of desk unbearable when the sun is brightest. Second, the height of the desk can block a large portion of the beautiful window view.

Instead, I would put in front of the window a sofa, one that has no back or one-end back (good for reading), or a rocking chair. A small sofa or rocker is very useful and nice to have in a study if there is space.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bibiloves I would definitely suggest checking out Wayfair for desks for the kids as well as yourself, if needed. The ability to get so many details, other buyers’ pictures, delivery/returns, etc. from the comfort of home is really great, and they have something for everyone’s decor and budget. I’m hopeful the new desk & cabinet match as well.

@FancyDiamond Funny you should mention that; I was reading the information that came with the desk, and it warned of that very concern ... that direct sunlight may cause discoloration of the wood surfaces over time. While that window only sees semi-angled direct sunlight for about 30 mins in the early morning, I know - over time - it’d have a negative impact, so I’ll be putting it on the opposing wall where it’ll only see indirect natural light. It was too expensive to knowingly risk permanent damage to it. And I agree that a bench or chaise would be nice, but realistically it’d never be used as I don’t meet with customers in my home, and I really don’t want family members coming in there lounging around either.

And another interesting ‘plot twist’ occurred today... the very desk I ordered yesterday to replace the L-Shaped desk dropped in price overnight on Wayfair’s website. Go figure! So I called them about this to see if they would adjust my price paid by the difference since it wasn’t even 24 hours, and the CSR was initially confused about all the notes on my account with the other desk issue, so I explained it all to her. She shared that she used to work from home and had a full office set-up there, so she ‘gets it’ and was aggravated by the trouble & inconvenience I’ve had (a good bit more than I’ve bothered to post here about). She was also irritated that three other CSRs noted in their system they would follow up with me since the order was placed but never did. So, she issued a credit to my CC beyond the price difference I initially called about; this credit made the new desk darn near free. I thanked her profusely for going above and beyond what I’d called about, as she didn’t have to do that, but it was very much appreciated.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, it's a great rug. Sorry to hear about the desk troubles but glad it seems like it's going to turn out ok. Nothing can every just be easy, can it. :(2 Onward and officeward!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crap. The other one already went back? So sorry. The new ones look nice though.
I’m sorry I missed your question. The half-desk is still here; they are picking it up on Wednesday, but they processed the return/refund already which I appreciate.

The new/‘Plan B’ desk is now set for delivery today vs. tomorrow as it’s coming from an in-state warehouse. :dance:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sometimes I long for normal people desk...lol then I work 20 hours in a row and am very thankful for my very ergonomic but rather stark sit/stand desk. wish it were L-shaped to accommodate the 64 inches of monitor space.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sometimes I long for normal people desk...lol then I work 20 hours in a row and am very thankful for my very ergonomic but rather stark sit/stand desk. wish it were L-shaped to accommodate the 64 inches of monitor space.

I soooo hear/feel you there! My company bought me a Varidesk to accommodate my dual monitor set-up; sadly, it broke when we moved. I did love it though given all my back & neck problems. Now, I just make a point to get up and stand/walk around or do a few stretches when I’m on conference calls as much as possible (I use a Bluetooth headset).

I did see and consider a few desk options on Wayfair that were L-shaped and had one side with a lift-up option; they have a LOT of them on there, if you’re looking for something new and sort of ‘normal people desk-ish’. ;)2

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
@the_mother_thing: I'm so glad you've had a positive experience with Wayfair customer service. You totally deserve that big discount after all the hassles with deliveries and out of stock situation. I haven't bought anything off Wayfair yet but will keep in mind in the future. As for the homework/office area I want to stick to a tight budget so I'm DIYing the desk using the Ikea's Alex drawers as the desk bases. The desk will be 8ft long to give both kids plenty of room for homework or craft activities. I'm crossing my fingers that it will turn out like I had imagined in my head.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, it's a great rug. Sorry to hear about the desk troubles but glad it seems like it's going to turn out ok. Nothing can every just be easy, can it. :(2 Onward and officeward!

Ummm, I meant @a_mother_thing . It was late, my apologies!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results