shape
carat
color
clarity

Home Office Make-over ... calling ‘designer-types’ for input

Which style rug would you choose for this space/furniture?

• Option A

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Option B

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Option C

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Option D

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Option E

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Option F

• None/something else/please specify in comments

• Total voters

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m about to redo my home office ... new furniture, area rug, and maybe paint (once I decide on the furnishings). After MUCH deliberation, measuring, consideration about how I use the space, layout, etc., I’ve settled on two new desks (one credenza style and one L-shape) to serve my functional needs. I have artwork for the walls already that comprise black & white landscape prints (not the artwork shown in the picture of the office). The room is north-facing, so it gets lots of natural, in-direct light throughout the day.

Now, I’m down to choosing an area rug. I’m attaching several images with a picture of the room, the two desks I’ve chosen, and a few rugs I’ve picked out. My eye is mostly drawn to Options B, D & F; but I do like the others as well. I would love feedback from those with a better eye for this stuff than I have. Which would you choose, or would you do something entirely different with the area rug (like a bold punch of color or something incorporating more color)? Note in the layout below the placement of the L-shape desk, which will appear ‘open’ from the entrance to the office, so the rug will largely be visible given the open style of that desk. I’m hoping that style desk will also help from the office appearing overly ‘furnished’ given the size (~10x11 not including the bump-out).

Room Layout w/two desks (to scale; each square is 1sq foot):
82EBE34C-2334-4D47-85A2-844CAE3F3B73.jpeg

Option A:
71CF867D-0CBB-436E-BB54-6BA10D0CBA4D.png
Option B:
D6C0BCF3-93AA-4840-B925-9507D92C2E1D.png
Option C:
E612EE65-6345-49C8-A510-9EE81B9E5167.png
Option D:
9A726815-C118-4F45-9EBE-09AC6BC40D57.png
Option E:
6D2CEBAD-AD56-4506-9AC7-D14A1FE7E3EE.png
Option F:
13E7E89D-CAC8-4CFD-ABD8-ADEFF8F6B4D5.png

Thanks much in advance for any feedback you might offer! :wavey:

DiamondGal28

Rough_Rock
What a fun project! Your office space is lovely and the bay window is TDF!
Personally, I would choose the L shaped desk for the more open leg room and for the two work services. The L shape gives you the option to have your computer / laptop on one side and the other one free to do writing or analysis work without feeling cramped.

For the rugs, I would personally choose option C because of the symmetrical quieter pattern. I like B but have never order one that has the "worn" look because when I magnify it, it always looks like the pattern is printed on and worry I would hate it in person.

As for bold colors in rugs versus what you've selected, I think you could go either way. It just depends on what you want your focal point to be. If you have something else in mind for your focal point, I would stick with the tones you have above. If you don't have that eye drawing piece yet - then a bold rug could be lots of fun!!

Good luck with your project and please post pictures when it is complete.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for weighing in @DiamondGal28

I probably should have been more clear about the desks: I am actually planning to buy/use them both - credenza desk for work (laptop + 2 monitors so need the full work surface), and the other L-shape desk for my personal laptop & stuff, and when I occasionally need to spread out more work stuff.

On the area rugs, I agree about those ‘worn look’ styles ... it’s so hard to tell what they will really look like once in place. I should also note that I am not planning to spend a ton on the rug. I feel like it will get a lot of ‘use’ and likely to be changed in/out every other year. I feel like that is an easy way to change up the room a bit when I feel like it by keeping the rest of the furnishings more neutral in design.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all the options. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I think you need to decide if you want the rug to be a focal point or blend in. Choices A, B and perhaps C will blend while C and D will draw your eye right to them. How dramatic is your artwork? Is it strong enough to compete with a more stand out rug?
Your lay out looks great, but I would so want my desk to enjoy a view out of the window. The room looks flooded with light and wonderful even without the desk being right by the window. It works perfectly~that's just my personal preference.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all the options. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I think you need to decide if you want the rug to be a focal point or blend in. Choices A, B and perhaps C will blend while C and D will draw your eye right to them. How dramatic is your artwork? Is it strong enough to compete with a more stand out rug?
Your lay out looks great, but I would so want my desk to enjoy a view out of the window. The room looks flooded with light and wonderful even without the desk being right by the window. It works perfectly~that's just my personal preference.

Thank you for your thoughts! The artwork isn’t too ‘dramatic’ I don’t think ... just simple b/w prints of a couple winter scenes. Good point on the rug being the focal point or not; given the office size (not huge) coupled with this furniture (not tiny), I may go with something not too ‘busy’ or bold and keep with something more muted so that it doesn’t make the room look/feel too small. I initially dismissed the idea of having a desk in that bump-out because the only heat/a-c register in the office is centered on the front window there. But in measuring that part of the room for the desk, I think it might actually be okay. And seeing it drawn out, I rather like it! :dance: The room seems to ‘breathe’ a bit better like this, I think. Of course, once the new desks are here, that may change. I was originally going to go with the credenza style desk, but when placing my order this morning, went with the slightly-deeper executive style desk instead, so it might actually work better to put it in that bump-out so it doesn’t eat as far into the room. Then I would just put the L-shape desk on the wall beside it, like this:

12BC77E9-7882-40C5-89DF-9463D2AAB692.jpeg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B but only if the option looks authentically worn in real life. Read the reviews.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B but only if the option looks authentically worn in real life. Read the reviews.

Thank you; I like that one as well. The reviews for it are great (4.5/5 stars with about 27.5K reviews, so ...) and there are a few customer pics posted of it as well. Here is one a buyer posted that has a similar color theme that I will have which gives an idea of how it looks, though I’m thinking I’ll be ordering a square 8’ x 8’ rug. I kinda like it in this pic.

637AC9BC-D33E-4771-8C38-202F702EFED7.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a customer/buyer-posted pic of Option A, which I also really like ... it’s a little lighter/brighter than Option B.

ETA: I love how these people post pics of their pets loving on their new rugs as well! LOL
837D8C30-F8B0-40F2-BCD1-877454869446.jpeg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you feel about a round style rug? Would A or B come in a round that would fit your space? I think a round rug would accentuate the wonderful bump-window feature and the curve of the L-desk ... and perhaps be more inviting if that makes sense?

upload_2019-7-22_8-46-56.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you feel about a round style rug? Would A or B come in a round that would fit your space? I think a round rug would accentuate the wonderful bump-window feature and the curve of the L-desk ... and perhaps be more inviting if that makes sense?

Oooooh, I like; great idea! :appl: That would also help break down all the “squarish-ness” of the room, furniture, etc. This particular rug doesn’t come in a round, but I’m sure I could find something similar/close. Thank you! :wavey:

DC6F5A34-ACAA-492B-BFB8-EAE99C41AC94.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lol slightly at the fact companies get to sell us things that look 'distressed' nowadays, and probably for more money than a 'normal' rug :lol:

Ignoring that though :D I do think A or B would work quite well as something that will fill the space nicely, make a bit of a statement, but also not draw the eye and be distracting when you're in the room. (On which basis, definitely NOT the D rug :lol: )

ksage92

Rough_Rock
I'd suggest ordering the smallest rug size available to check for color, etc. Much easier to return!

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @ooooshiny. I was worried I was the only one who would say “no” to the D rug. I love all the choices except that one.
When @whitewave was helping her sis (in law? I can’t remember) look for a home, I loved the one everyone here hated! :lol-2: I never replied in the thread but I was so shocked.:-o All I thought was “Do I really have that poor of taste?!”.
I was worried it was happening again with this rug subject so I stayed hushed. Until now.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:(2 @OoohShiny & @JrJ I kinda liked D because it was similar in style to the rug in the pic of the desk ... and - being a true PSer - it reminds me of a lozenge cut diamond.

@ksage92 That is a good suggestion, except I really want to have it here before the furniture so I can unroll it, let it flatten out for a day or two, and protect my hardwoods from the furniture when it does arrive. So I am hoping mocking up all the options with pics of the desks will help me get it right. Fingers crossed!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oooooh, I like; great idea! :appl: That would also help break down all the “squarish-ness” of the room, furniture, etc. This particular rug doesn’t come in a round, but I’m sure I could find something similar/close. Thank you! :wavey:

DC6F5A34-ACAA-492B-BFB8-EAE99C41AC94.jpeg
Yes! Round would be lovely! I was partial
to A or B...

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @yennyfire :wavey:

I found a few more round rugs that I liked for various reasons ... any of these strike anyone’s fancy or would get a hard-pass? I keep teetering between liking something with a little/lot of color vs ones that are more muted & neutral. :doh:

4FEBAB2D-705A-4C17-B458-600172481A74.jpeg
EEE2E661-385F-434B-9237-040551FCC1FC.jpeg
39FDCB6E-839A-40DB-8E99-EED750E95D77.jpeg
10CE483B-81D3-481C-91A5-77C6D256B581.jpeg
95AF16EA-41CA-4218-88AE-97829E44F009.jpeg
8A0970DE-2B0A-4FF3-B01C-E85969D387CE.jpeg
C26F0433-3B20-4436-8E40-0CF2AACD9425.jpeg

And just because - sometimes - I feel this one perfectly defines how my work days go. :lol:
58AB9A4B-51E2-4834-8BD7-811D3449C563.jpeg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the third and fifth ones, but adding color definitely changes the vibe in the space. If you do that, I might suggest adding a few colored accessories...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Round, with color, and bring yourself fresh flowers every few days for color and add some houseplants.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yennyfire I agree ... each rug yields a different look/feel. I think - if I went with color - it’d be #4.

@monarch64 I don’t see me buying flowers all that often, but I do have an orchid hubby gave me when we started dating in there now by the window. It must be happy there because it’s had blooms on it for over two months now and it had finished blooming about two months before then. I can see me adding one other house plant in there maybe ... maybe something big, green and leafy like a bird of paradise in the corner.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As suggested by my earlier post :razz: I think that if it is your home office, you should aim for a relaxing environment without too many things 'shouting' for attention - that would mean nothing too vibrant, such as the original D option! :D

I understand that we are all different, though, and some people do get energy from stimulating environments :)

Me... I need things to be calm so my mind is calm, otherwise I have the attention span of the dog in the film Up :tongue: lol

On that basis, I like 2, 6, 3, 5 of the round options :) although 1 would also pass muster if I wanted a bit of colour!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rug you get will probably depend on how well your chair handles it. If roll your chair a lot, you might want to be careful of "distressed" rugs. Also if you're in there all the time, you might want to consider something other than a rug.

In my office I don't have any rugs and the one I did have I beat the crap out of with my chair, but I'm also in there sometimes 60 hours a week. I now have rubber flooring over the tile (massively comfortable and easy to roll over) Its not cute or romantic though but does dampen the room massively!

I keep saying someday I'm going to redo my office when I have some time... (that day has not yet come)

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
The reason I didn’t like D was because it looks to be a different style compared to everything else in your office. That pattern looks kind of southwestern to me. I just don’t think it will look right with your bright, cheery yellow walls, white furniture...I think it would look better in a western, Spanish, or bohemian themed room and I don’t get that vibe from your new desk and all.
I want to also say I don’t think you need a round rug since your desk has that rounded area in the “L” and the room has that bay window that curves from the room a little, so it isn’t so boxy that you need to break it up.
Basically, I like pretty much all the rugs you picked and I think any would work, except D.
I hope that all makes sense, I am in the middle of making my morning coffee.:snore:

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
One more thing, if you really love D, go for it. I am remodeling my home right now and going against the grain. Everyone wants gray and greige, there is NO WAY I am doing that, I love my warm colors. I was basically in the middle of making my home a very old Mediterranean style when everyone hated that style when Whitewave was helping pick a home.
It sure didn’t stop me! Don’t let us stop you.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot thank each of you enough for weighing in, and giving input & additional things to think about & consider ... especially the suggestion to go with a round rug!

@JrJ I hear what you’re saying about there being ‘round’ elements in the room between the desk and the window, but everything else is still very boxy/square ... especially once the desks are in here; so I do think I’ll be going that direction in terms of rug shape.

I spent time this morning looking at each option again with ‘fresh eyes’, and am leaning toward something like #3 or #5 (of the round rugs). I like how they have some color, but also not overly ‘busy’ in that the pattern is ‘all over’ the rug, but centralized/organized if that makes sense. It just seems “cleaner” and less busy to me. And @OoohShiny to your point, they’re somewhat ‘calming/orderly but with color’, which is what I think I want in the office. I want it to be ‘pretty’ and/or visually pleasing, as the office is immediately to the left of the front entryway in our home, and it’s usually open; so I want it to look nice in that regard.

I hope to look a little more today at the options, make a decision, and place an order so it’s here by end of week. The furniture is expected to ship out Wednesday and (hopefully) be delivered sometime next week. So my plan is to spend this weekend moving everything out of the office to get it ready. The furniture in there now is going into our bonus room upstairs so hubby has a dedicated place for his laptop, bills, etc. though I’ll probably have to work from up there for a few days until the new stuff is here. I’m so excited and will definitely circle back with pictures once it’s all here. :appl:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you can go wrong. If you're buying online maybe see if there are clues about how the rugs feel underfoot also....i bought 3 different rug/mats for my house a few years ago, they all look good to me but one feels amazing to walk one, one is meh, and one feels weird.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought and returned the third one in the second round. Sadly its printed worn-look was really obvious and blurry. It just did not look good in person. I was so sad because it was just what I was looking for and it took me forever to find something else. I bought and returned many rugs until I found the one I have, which is perfect. I also almost bought the first one (again, second round), so I am partial to that of all the choices.

I just revamped our living room to have neutral walls (good ole BM Revere Pewter) and chose a rug with the color to keep it current and interesting. I love the look! I think that's the way to go for your room and the furnishings you are choosing. IMG_2104.JPG

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bludiva & @Arcadian Regarding the ‘wear’ issue, I am not overly worried about the rug wear from my chair. I have one of those rug protectors so my chair moves around more freely and protects the rug/floor surface. I am in there a good number hours/week, but it’s very light traffic compared to if I were in a regular office environment with people in & our all the time.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bludiva & @Arcadian Regarding the ‘wear’ issue, I am not overly worried about the rug wear from my chair. I have one of those rug protectors so my chair moves around more freely and protects the rug/floor surface. I am in there a good number hours/week, but it’s very light traffic compared to if I were in a regular office environment with people in & our all the time.

I was thinking more what feels nicest for your feet if you don't wear shoes in the house but if it's minimal traffic that probably doesn't matter. We have one rug that is some kind of wool which feels sooooooo nice to walk on :mrgreen2:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be the odd one out I like E, I say go bold or go home!!! :lol::lol::lol:

And of the round ones I like no.1 and the second last one....

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted D, the others look too living roomy to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results