carat
color
clarity

Holiday Plans 2023 and beyond

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your upcoming holiday plans?

I have planned all my camping trips with the dog in my RV in 2023, including a trip to France in May, my first solo camping trip in Europe since I started camping on my own in a tent in 2009.

Also a trip to Tucson and Phoenix in Arizona early next year, and I have just paid the deposit for a small group 4-night tour of Iceland in November 2023.

Next year 2024 I shall take my RV and the dog to the Netherlands to visit friends and colleagues, most likely to be in May again. Scotland is on the card for a long distance domestic camping trip.

2025 is Japan and I have planned my itinerary and budgeted for the trip, including plans to visit Takahashi in Kobe and the Mikimoto Pearl Museum. I shall go camping in France again in May, most likely to be in the Loire Valley or in Basel in Switzerland to visit my ex-boss and his family.

2026 nothing planned yet, possibly Los Angeles and San Francisco if the piggy bank can be fattened up in time. However, an European camping trip will be on the card, and I fancy Germany in Cologne.

2027 is Washington D.C. to attend the Lions International Convention (they are very organised and have already planned their international conventions years ahead), and then be a tourist on my own for a few days in the city. Most likely to be France for the European camping trip.

In addition, I shall need to go to Canada to visit my mum and bro, however, those are duties and never holidays, if you know what I mean.

Over to you.

DK :))

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
Wow, sounds like you have a lot on the table. which one are you most looking forward to? I have been to Japan a couple of times, it was a wild experience for me at the time.

My fiancé and I have done a couple of domestic trips in our surrounding states. Plan on going to Italy for our honeymoon. Really looking forward to that. I would love to see the little town my great grandmother grew up in. My soon to be mother in law wants to take an Alaskan cruise. I’m more of a tropical destination girl.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, sounds like you have a lot on the table. which one are you most looking forward to? I have been to Japan a couple of times, it was a wild experience for me at the time.

My fiancé and I have done a couple of domestic trips in our surrounding states. Plan on going to Italy for our honeymoon. Really looking forward to that. I would love to see the little town my great grandmother grew up in. My soon to be mother in law wants to take an Alaskan cruise. I’m more of a tropical destination girl.

I look forward to all of them, as they are all different.

I need to make sure the hotels in Washington D.C. has air con as the trip is in July!

Prefer cooler climates hence I am going to Iceland in November, and would normally visit my mum and bro in latter part of the year in Vancouver.

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
I look forward to all of them, as they are all different.

I need to make sure the hotels in Washington D.C. has air con as the trip is in July!

Prefer cooler climates hence I am going to Iceland in November, and would normally visit my mum and bro in latter part of the year in Vancouver.

pretty sure you’re safe when it comes to all the hotels having AC. Washington DC is really neat to visit. I’ve heard about great restaurants but it’s been a while since I’ve been there.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far, we are planning to go to Iceland in February (Northern Lights bucket list), the Caribbean over the Easter holidays again, then a week in Cyprus at the end of August. The reason for only a week this year (we take our mothers there every summer) is because it’s Mr T’s Big 5-0 at the end of July, so we are planning a fabulous trip to somewhere exotic. We haven’t agreed where yet though, but Bora Bora is on the list. The Maldives & Seychelles are out as it’s rainy season there in July / Aug.

Fabulous suggestions are welcome for this one if anybody has any! Needs to be something we can do with the children that is maybe a once in a lifetime thing. They like hot beaches, water sports & sand. They are not a fan of City Breaks & walking in heat :lol-2:

MoxiRoxi

Rough_Rock
In May 2023 we have family trip to Italy with 3 of our adult children and their significant others. October I’ll have a business trip to either the Nordic region or Central Europe ( hoping for Prague or Norway) will bring hubby along and will make a mini vacation out of it. We also have 2 weddings (Vermont & Newport RI) to attend which will account for a couple long weekends.

2024 is still TBD but I’m sure we’ll have something planned shortly after the New Year. Hubby would really like to visit Scotland so I’d guess that’s most likely where 2024 will bring us.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having just returned from 5 weeks away to Singapore and Australia, we have no plans for major travel this year. Looking to go to Myrtle Beach to see The Worlds Strongest Man in May, and have a Caribbean cruise booked for over Christmas. After that, future travel is going to be around the US, as there are lots of places we haven’t visited yet.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
We bought a NJ shore house last spring so that probably is it for 2023 unless we take our son and his family to St. John in the fall ( we sold our house there in 2021 ).
We are planning a June 2024 trip to Italy with my bff and her husband. They just did 19 days this past June and it looked so amazing that we convinced them to go back with us.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
Having just returned from 5 weeks away to Singapore and Australia, we have no plans for major travel this year. Looking to go to Myrtle Beach to see The Worlds Strongest Man in May, and have a Caribbean cruise booked for over Christmas. After that, future travel is going to be around the US, as there are lots of places we haven’t visited yet.

We watch World’s Strongest Man! My husband claims he wanted to name our 11lb son after Magnus Ver Magnusson. Our son is huge and freakishly strong so it would have worked.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We watch World’s Strongest Man! My husband claims he wanted to name our 11lb son after Magnus Ver Magnusson. Our son is huge and freakishly strong so it would have worked.

We watch it here in the UK too!

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
In Caribbean now for 2 weeks, and in February doing short trips to see daughter in NC and 2 sons in Colorado. March we are doing a transatlantic cruise to Portugal and spending time up in Porto. Most of May we will be in Nevis again.
In June we are doing a couple weeks in Maine with time at Moosehead Lake and on the coast.
Nothing planned July-September as of yet.
October will be a 4-ish week trip to Australia to visit my brother.
January 2024 we head back to Nevis for a month.
Nothing planned beyond that but we are contemplating Antarctica.
Our current plan is to travel 3-4 months per year for at least the next 5 years.

But-we are retired and chose traveling 3-4 months over choosing one place and having a second home.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
In Caribbean now for 2 weeks, and in February doing short trips to see daughter in NC and 2 sons in Colorado. March we are doing a transatlantic cruise to Portugal and spending time up in Porto. Most of May we will be in Nevis again.
In June we are doing a couple weeks in Maine with time at Moosehead Lake and on the coast.
Nothing planned July-September as of yet.
October will be a 4-ish week trip to Australia to visit my brother.
January 2024 we head back to Nevis for a month.
Nothing planned beyond that but we are contemplating Antarctica.
Our current plan is to travel 3-4 months per year for at least the next 5 years.

But-we are retired and chose traveling 3-4 months over choosing one place and having a second home.

That all sounds amazing! We are 8-10 years from retirement but since we are selling our business to our son, my husband, who doesn’t love traveling anyway, will keep working for him. My DIL’s mom has a shore house 9 blocks from us so I see all the women and children spending the summers in Avalon.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

In DC, all hotels I can think of have air conditioning. It is possible there may be some very old janky one that doesn't, but I can't imagine that would be a place you'd ever consider staying. DC can be very humid during the summer months. Things are usually fairly nice in June, but start to heat up mid to late July. August is a beast.

I grew up there, and I believe @PreRaphaelite did too. @yssie is in the general area. So when the time gets closer, I'm happy to give recommendations on stuff to do/places to visit/etc.

If you can manage it, I highly recommend getting out to Annapolis. Such a beautiful historic town on the water. Its cooler out there in the summer, with water breezes, fantastic seafood, and charming shops.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In DC, all hotels I can think of have air conditioning. It is possible there may be some very old janky one that doesn't, but I can't imagine that would be a place you'd ever consider staying. DC can be very humid during the summer months. Things are usually fairly nice in June, but start to heat up mid to late July. August is a beast.

I grew up there, and I believe @PreRaphaelite did too. @yssie is in the general area. So when the time gets closer, I'm happy to give recommendations on stuff to do/places to visit/etc.

If you can manage it, I highly recommend getting out to Annapolis. Such a beautiful historic town on the water. Its cooler out there in the summer, with water breezes, fantastic seafood, and charming shops.

Thanks for that!

I might even try to organise a PS GTG!

DK :lol-2:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Six weeks trip in Europe, early summer, camping from the Volvo we’ll be picking up there. We’ll be visiting the Netherlands (my homeland) and Norway(hubby’s homeland) and my sister-in-law will be joining us for a week or so in Norway.

Probably six to eight weeks cross-country, starting late summer, when we pick up the trailer we have on order in Quebec, Canada. We’ll drive from the West Coast to Quebec tent camping from the Volvo/tow vehicle, and then enjoy the trailer from Quebec to California, with many stops en route. Family get-together stops likely in Minnesota (boundary waters) and Tennessee.

We tend to be point-in-the-right-direction-and-drive travelers.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your upcoming holiday plans?

Scotland is on the card for a long distance domestic camping trip.

We spent a month (mostly) tent-camping in Scotland a few years ago. We took the Ferry to Shetland and the Orkney Islands. It’s all lovely and and I’d love to go back sometime!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We only take one vacation a year and we go to North Myrtle Beach the end of August, I already have the hotel booked...I would like to see other parts of the country but for some reason that area has gotten in my blood and keeps pulling me back every year. The desire to see the ocean is very strong in me right now and it's taking everything I got to not book a vacation now and go south, if money wasn't an issue for me I would have already done so...sigh....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update on the 2027 trip to Washington DC...

I decided to make the most of the time and effort for transatlantic travel, to make it a longer 3-city trip, with NYC before and Miami after Washington DC.

In 2024, I shall go to Canada to visit my mum and brother, with a side trip to Edmonton with my bro to have a holiday on our own without mum. He needs to have a break from her and I said I would go to Edmonton with him. May pop into Jasper and/or Banff as part of the trip too.

As for the trip to Iceland later this year, that was changed to Norway, and now deferred to 2024 as I have another event to attend - the opportunity to attend this event is an one-off, and Norway is unlikely to disappear in a year!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I was as organized as you @dk168 ! I dont even have anything planned for 2024...I have to work around my daughter and
DH so I'm a little handicapped when trying to plan things. DH isn't much of a traveler.:roll2:

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in Chicago right now. It’s a beautiful city but I may need a vacation afterwards from all the walking I am doing. My feet hurt!!! It is an absolutely gorgeous city though.
Yesterday I was at the Chicago Botanical Garden. It was so beautiful and serene.
This winter I would like to go Punta Cana. 8640ADE2-908D-4691-8F04-44189C5A63FA.jpeg 474F809F-39B8-4A75-8BAC-FAC3118EB128.jpeg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom owns some houses and property next to a state forest. Doing maintenance on them has been our "vacation" for years now. We get to swim and take walks and stuff but it's remote and no opportunities to eat out or anything like that. I'm lucky that hubby likes to do it for mom but long for a "real" vacation. I love hearing about all or your vacations and seeing the pictures. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the summer.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Update on the 2027 trip to Washington DC...

I decided to make the most of the time and effort for transatlantic travel, to make it a longer 3-city trip, with NYC before and Miami after Washington DC.

In 2024, I shall go to Canada to visit my mum and brother, with a side trip to Edmonton with my bro to have a holiday on our own without mum. He needs to have a break from her and I said I would go to Edmonton with him. May pop into Jasper and/or Banff as part of the trip too.

As for the trip to Iceland later this year, that was changed to Norway, and now deferred to 2024 as I have another event to attend - the opportunity to attend this event is an one-off, and Norway is unlikely to disappear in a year!

If you're going to Edmonton, perhaps you can time it to coincide with the Edmonton Fringe? I've been there visiting a friend, and it's great fun. My favorite thing there - don't know if they still do it - is a Shakespeare play, in its entirety, but without scene or costume changes. Shakespeare in 90 minutes is daffy and unexpected but enormous fun.

I also visited Edmonton in winter multiple times. Unless you're a fan of terrible cold - one trip it was -40 Fahrenheit AND Celsius. 0/10, do not recommend.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're going to Edmonton, perhaps you can time it to coincide with the Edmonton Fringe? I've been there visiting a friend, and it's great fun. My favorite thing there - don't know if they still do it - is a Shakespeare play, in its entirety, but without scene or costume changes. Shakespeare in 90 minutes is daffy and unexpected but enormous fun.

I also visited Edmonton in winter multiple times. Unless you're a fan of terrible cold - one trip it was -40 Fahrenheit AND Celsius. 0/10, do not recommend.

Thanks for the recommendations.

The trip to Canada is in April 2024, and my bro and I are planning to stay at West Edmonton Mall, to eat, drink, shop and whatever we can find there in the evenings; only staying for 3 nights. :lol-2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a trip to Denver planned, and will be meeting up with a fellow PSer and her DH for lunch before we return home.

Loose plans to visit our friends in Phoenix when it cools down.

Caribbean cruise later in the year too.

Talking about a trip back to the UK early next year to visit our friends.

I want to get another dog, and it keeps getting pushed back because of the trips! :wall:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have a GTG if you are in UK, pretty please!

DK :lol-2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’re going to be staying with friends, so won’t have any transport @dk168. If we weren’t, I’d be happy to be part of a GTG.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I love reading about everyone's travel plans! @dk168 I'm so impressed by your advance planning. We never manage to plan more than a few months in advance these days, due to our respective work schedules. But this year has been great so far - 2 weeks in Portugal in April, 1 week in England in June, and we're about to head off to Denmark for 2 weeks.

I would love to do a big trip to Colorado next year, but it all hinges on when DH gets vacation, and how his time off aligns with my work schedule.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a trip to Denver planned, and will be meeting up with a fellow PSer and her DH for lunch before we return home.

Loose plans to visit our friends in Phoenix when it cools down.

Caribbean cruise later in the year too.

I want to get another dog, and it keeps getting pushed back because of the trips! :wall:

Your last sentence struck me. I may start a new thread about it so as not to derail this lovely one.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in Chicago right now. It’s a beautiful city but I may need a vacation afterwards from all the walking I am doing. My feet hurt!!! It is an absolutely gorgeous city though.
Yesterday I was at the Chicago Botanical Garden. It was so beautiful and serene.
This winter I would like to go Punta Cana. 8640ADE2-908D-4691-8F04-44189C5A63FA.jpeg 474F809F-39B8-4A75-8BAC-FAC3118EB128.jpeg

Love this! If I’d known you were in Chicago I would’ve requested at least a quick meetup, even though I don’t live there anymore. I’m close enough to drive, though. Glad you enjoyed it, and yes, it really is a beautiful city. You look beautiful and summery.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results