shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Cookie Recepies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2005 3:54:32 PM
Author: crafftygrrl
I''m sitting at home.

It''s snowing in DC.

I went home from work early. My kids are home. I made hot cocoa and slice and bake cookies for me and my kids. Warm slice and bake cookies are an easy decadent treat.

Life is good.
10.gif
Sounds perfect Craftgrrl. Enjoy!

Loved all these cookies. As someone who likes "shortcuts" in the kitchen. I saw that Pillsbury now makes red and green sugar cookie dough! That''s going to be a great timesaver and will make cute cookies! Can''t wait to try them!

These cookies sound great! Cinnamon-Toffee Pecan Cookies
Sugar cookie dough gets all spiced up for some nutty drop cookies.
Ingredients:
1 (18-oz.) roll Pillsbury® Refrigerated Sugar Cookies
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup toffee bits

Preparation Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. In large bowl, break up cookie dough. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla; mix well. Add pecans and toffee bits; mix well. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls 3 inches apart onto sprayed cookie sheets.
2. Bake at 350°F. for 11 to 14 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheets.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love to cook, love to bake, but I hate rolling out cookie dough, cutting the shapes out, blablalba. Give me drop cookies or icebox cookies any time.

I went to the store and saw that Nestle''s Toll House makes chilled precut (assorted holiday shapes) cookie dough...just gotta bake ''em up. That''s my kind of sugar cookie.
1.gif
They were even on sale. 50 cookies for $6....now we''re talkin''.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I have 2 recipes that my hubby begs me to make and they''re really easy!! The first is your typical choc. chip cookie dough (I usually use the one on the back of the Nestlie''s bag) but instead of choc. chips, I use white choc. chips and dried cranberries. Pretty and delish!
The second is one of Maaaatha''s recipes. It''s her Lime meltaway cookie and it''s a slice and bake once you roll the dough into a log and chill. Here''s the recipe:
Lime Meltaways

Makes about 10 dozen
The dough for these icebox cookies can be frozen in logs for up to two months.

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup confectioners'' sugar

Grated zest of 2 limes

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon salt

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream butter and 1/3 cup sugar until fluffy. Add lime zest, juice, and vanilla; beat until fluffy.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add to butter mixture, and beat on low speed until combined.

3. Between two 8-by-12-inch pieces of parchment paper, roll dough into two 1 1/4-inch-diameter logs. Chill at least 1 hour.

4. Heat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Place remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Remove parchment from logs; slice dough into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.

5. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag; toss to coat. Bake or freeze remaining dough. Store baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

I''ve also frosted them with an icing made out of confectioner''s sugar, lime juice, and food coloring (green) instead of tossing them in powdered sugar. I basically mix the juice and sugar until I get a consistency I like and frost.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
does anyone else have problems rolling the dough into a log? my log is normally very lumpy and unappealing looking.
39.gif
tips?

still trying to figure out what i want to make this year....i may do some cookies for my best customers so that they have a handmade feel to their gifts rather than just storebought.

oh but is anyone drooling over the williams sonoma croissants in their latest catalog? chocolate? bake them at home. YUM. they are on Oprah''s favorite things for christmas, i gotta agree oprah!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Paula, those lime meltaways are my absolute favorite cookie of all time! Someone brought them to one of my Christmas parties several years ago...and I was instantly hooked. Asked her for the recipe, only to find out I already had it in my issue of the magazine, but it seemed like a lot of work so I didn''t try it. Once I made them, I realized how easy they were and now I make them all the time. My ultimate favorite!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the most wonderful shortbread recipe I know. My mother got this before (or during) World War II and she used to make it for Christmas every year. (I posted the recipe on Pricescope before, but I don't think anyone baking Christmas cookies this year will find it there!)

Scottish Shortbread

(I think my mother originally called this, "Mrs. Smith's Shortbread".)

1/2 lb butter
scant 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
3 cups flour (My notation says, "use less!" and is heavily underlined; I think you should listen to me. I believe it gets too crumbly with a lot of flour.)

Knead butter and sugar together, then work in flour, a little at a time. Form into two small cakes and prick fork right through to the bottom. Bake in a slow oven until light brown. (About 325 degreesF-20-25minutes-about 1/3 " thick.)

This is a great Christmas cookie recipe. I have never tasted shortbread that approaches this. And it is EASY!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t seen them this year...but last year at Target Super Center they had preshaped sugar cookies in the freezer...you had to bake them. I think there were Christmas Trees and Snowmen and maybe a Santa. You got about 12 I think...

It is making th edough that makes me so crazy...then rolling then cutting, then baking...oh my!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DKS, you are too funny. Thanks for the tip, I may just try that, ordering plain cookies ahead of time!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2005 3:54:32 PM
Author: crafftygrrl
I''m sitting at home.

It''s snowing in DC.

I went home from work early. My kids are home. I made hot cocoa and slice and bake cookies for me and my kids. Warm slice and bake cookies are an easy decadent treat.

Life is good.
10.gif

Hi, Claudia-

I thought of you and of this posting today when my daughter got out of school early due to snow (and upcoming ice). I picked up a chicken to roast *AND* some slice-and-bake Toll House cookies! I don''t believe I have ever made the slice-and-bake Toll House before, although I have made slice-and-bake shortbread and sugar cookies! (You inspired me...even though I don''t think you made Toll House cookies!)

Deb

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Deb,

I''m glad I inspired you. I hope you like the cookies. I am about ready to go out into this mess. I''ve got to meet with my boss before a 9:30 meeting tomorrow morning. My kids are safe and sound at home.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
mmmm..... too bad I refuse to bake
7.gif

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
I usually make these every year. They''re a big hit with all!

Zebra Cookies (I know they''re not festive in any way)

4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped 125g
2 cups all-purpose flour 500ml
2 tsp baking powder 10ml
3 Eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 375ml
1/2 cup vegetable oil 125ml
2 tsp vanilla 10ml
1 cup icing sugar 250ml
60 white and dark chocolate
striped chocolates (Hershey Kisses)

In large heatproof bowl set over sucepan of hot (not boiling) water, mely unsweetened chocolate. Let cool.

In bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder; set aside.

Whisk eggs into chocolate; whisk in granulated sugar, oil, and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, one-third at a time, until smooth. Cover and refridgerate until chilled and firm, about 2 hours.

Sift icing sugar into pie plate. Roll 1 tsp of the dough into a ball; roll in sugar. Repeat with remaining dough and sugar.

Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased rimless baking sheets. Bake in center of 325F (160 C) oven until edges are firm and tops are cracked, about 10 minutes. Let cool on pan on rack until warm but not hot enough to melt chocolate, about 5 minutes. Gently press 1 striped chocolate into center of each.

Transfer to rackes and let cool completely.

Makes about 60 cookies. They are yummy. I will attach a pic when I get it loaded onto the computer.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
This if a good recipe if you don''t like rolling out dough.

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

1 cup Butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 - 1/3 cup sugar

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on meduim to high speed for 2 minutes. Add the 1 1/2 cups sugar; beat until completely mixed; beat in the eggs, cream of tartar, baking soda,vanilla and salt until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll balls in the 1/4 - 1/3 cup of sugar. place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in a 375F oven for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Tranfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.

Makes about 60 cookies.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results