shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Cookie Recepies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone have any great Christmas cookie recepies? I could really use some new ones!

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
These are little labor intensive, but they are so worth the calories.

Coconut Macaroons

1 bag of Bakers Coconut
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla (use the real stuff)
1 container of Dolci di Frutta chocolate (It''s the microwave stuff that''s in the produce section of most grocery stores.
Lots of PAM!!!!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Mix the first 3 ingredients in a bowl.
2. Coat the cookie sheet with a TON of Pam spray.
3. Drop cookie dough onto cookie sheet. Don''t place cookies too closely together. Have a wire rack in the ready to cool cookies. Have 2 spatulas on hand too.
4. Bake for about 7 minutes or until coconut is getting toasty, but not too brown.
5. Remove the cookies from the baking sheet as soon as possible. If you wait too long, the cookies will be impossible to take off the sheet. You need 2 spatulas, because the first one will gum up before you have finished.
6. When the cookies have cooled, lay out waxed paper on a flat surface.
7. Microwave the chocolate according to the directions on the container.
8. Paint half of each cookie with the chocolate. You don''t need to coat the bottoms.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Well, these aren''t homemade, but they are too die for and great for one of my binge-eating episodes. I buy the frozen Pillsbury sugar cookies and frost them with a tub of Duncan Hines cream cheese frosting. To make them look homemade and festive, I put red and green sprinkles on them. Oh lord. Why did I open this thread.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweetpea, here''s an easy one for peanut butter kisses that I will be trying this year, as a working girl/wife!
face23.gif

Go to the store and hightail it to the refrigerated section where the premade cookie dough mixes are. Buy whatever peanut butter flavored cookie dough they have.
emotion-5.gif

Go to the "junkfood/candy/promotional/seasonal" aisle and buy a couple bags of regular Hershey kisses.
emotion-20.gif

Go on home, kiss your man, preheat the oven, break out the cookie sheets. Follow the directions on the PB cookie dough package, but make sure to indent the cookie shapes with your thumb in the center of each. When they are done, slide them on to a cooling rack and after mostly cooled, plop a hershey kiss (take the wrapper off first) onto each indentation! Voila!

P.S. If you have a peanut allergy, DO NOT USE THIS RECIPE!!!
emcrook.gif

Disclaimer: this recipe comes to you from an anti-domestic gal. Any of the above words cannot be used against me, no matter what.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
ROFL Mrs Jam.

I L
30.gif
VE the crumbly, nutty goodness of......

Almond Horns
2.5 cups all purpose flour
0.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1.25 cups confectioners sugar, plus more for dusting
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
0.25 tsp almond extract
1 cup almonds, toasted and finely ground (I use a mini processor)

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl, set aside.
Mix butter and sugar with mixer (I use hand held) on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 min. Mix in egg and extracts. Mix on low speed. Add in flour and almonds till just combined. Wrap dough in plastic, and refrigerate till firm, about half an hour.
Roll 1 Tbs dough into 4 inch log, shape into a horseshoe. Repeat with remaining dough.
Bake on baking sheet lined with parchment (or spray sheet with Pam) till pale golden, about 20 min (check cookies halfway through, and rotate baking sheet). Transfer to cooling rack, and dust cooled cookies with confectioners sugar.

Yum, Yum, Gimme Some!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's one for those who can't have or don't like nuts.

I also l
30.gif
ve these....

Butter, Currant, and Coconut Cookies
2 sticks unsalted butter
0.75 cup packed light brown sugar
1.5 cups self rising flour (or 1.5 cups regular flour plus 1.5 tsp baking powder and the tiniest pinch of salt)
1 cup packed flaked, sweeted coconut
0.75 cup currants

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease 2 baking sheets or line with baking parchment paper.
Beat butter and sugar together till fluffy. Beat in flour and coconut. Stir in the currants. If dough is too soft to handle, refrigerate for about an hour to firm.
Form cookie dough into a roll about 2.5 inches in diameter. Cut into 0.5 inch slices and place well apart to allow for spreading as the cookies double in size. Reshape into neat rounds, if necessary.
Bake in batches in the oven for about 8 to 10 minutes until light brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes to firm on the baking sheet before removing with a spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
more cookies, anyone got sugar recipes they care to share?

i love cookies but i don''t seem to have quite the talent for baking as much as others, though i do make a great oatmeal chocolate chip cookie!

what gets me is the decorating part. i love doing cutout cookies, i have a bunch of shapes.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a small plate of hot cookies next to the computer who beg being shared
2.gif

At least the recipe:

500grs flour
200ml white wine
200grs sugar powder
200ml oil
100grs finely grated walnuts (look like an oily, flaky powder when ready to go in)

I don't use any more flavors than the walnuts come with. Sometimes almond oil.

Mix. Make little shapes (thumb-size crescents are the norm for me) put in preheated oven at medium heat on an oiled sheet of baking paper. Never timed the baking, but it is short (10 min or so). It smells to good to get far, and the quantity above makes several batches. The mix is a bit soft for cutting shapes, but I suppose it would work for simple ones.

They are hard (in a good way) the first day and get progressively softer... if they survive.

The recipe has a deadly version, in which small balls (less than 2cm across) of the dough get rolled into a pile of larger bits of crushed / sliced walnuts. The result looks like a hedgehog (and so they are called). During baking the walnuts get a gorgeous taste. Very bad.
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2005 3:21:03 PM
Author: Mara
anyone got sugar recipes they care to share?
...​

I have a butter cookie (and accompanying frosting) recipe that I have made with cookie cutters that is to die for! I haven't made it in several years. They are incredibly addictive and incredible fattening! Children love them, too. You can make up a bunch and put our bowls of colored frosting so that a group of kids can frost their own cookies. I once has such a cookie-making party when my daughter was in nursery school. A psychotherapy client of mine dressed up as Santa Claus and came in through the kitchen door with a sack over his shoulder during the party, too!

Now I have a teenager
26.gif
!

Deb

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb,
Ok spill it what are the ingredients??

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2005 9:27:07 PM
Author: kaleigh
Ok spill it what are the ingredients??

OK, Lisa. You caught me. I was trying to escape that prayer that had me in tears by thinking about baking, but I will now look up the recipe!

Deb :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Christmas Butter Cookies​

1 cup soft butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp.s vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups sifted flour

Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar gradually. Stir in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Stir in flour and salt. Chill two hours. Use pastry canvas and covered rolling pin. Flour both lightly. Roll out one-quarter of the chilled dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes and with wide spatula transfer to cookie baking sheet. Place cookies one inch apart. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) about 10 minutes, to a light brown appearance. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on rack. Frost and decorate.

Yuletide Butter Frosting​

1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup cream or milk
2 tsps.s vanilla
Confectioner's powdered sugar

Cream softened butter, adding powdered sugar and cream alternately until thick enough to spread. Add vanilla. Divide into equal parts and tint with edible food coloring for decorating.

Deb

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
omg i am so going to try that one deb...and maybe a few others.
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Deb, I can''t wait to try this, yummmm.
18.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2005 10:36:24 PM
Author: crafftygrrl
These are little labor intensive, but they are so worth the calories.

Coconut Macaroons

1 bag of Bakers Coconut

1 can of sweetened condensed milk

1 tsp. vanilla (use the real stuff)

1 container of Dolci di Frutta chocolate (It's the microwave stuff that's in the produce section of most grocery stores.

Lots of PAM!!!!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Mix the first 3 ingredients in a bowl.

2. Coat the cookie sheet with a TON of Pam spray.

3. Drop cookie dough onto cookie sheet. Don't place cookies too closely together. Have a wire rack in the ready to cool cookies. Have 2 spatulas on hand too.

4. Bake for about 7 minutes or until coconut is getting toasty, but not too brown.

5. Remove the cookies from the baking sheet as soon as possible. If you wait too long, the cookies will be impossible to take off the sheet. You need 2 spatulas, because the first one will gum up before you have finished.

6. When the cookies have cooled, lay out waxed paper on a flat surface.

7. Microwave the chocolate according to the directions on the container.

8. Paint half of each cookie with the chocolate. You don't need to coat the bottoms.

My wifey2b wanted me to pass along a message:

If you used parchment paper on her pans that the coconut macaroons wouldnt be so hard to get off
the paper will come right off the bottom of the cookies and all she would need to do is line her baking sheet with the paper
it can be found on rolls like wax paper in your grocery store probably...

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/reynoldskitchens/kitchenconnection/products/parchment_paper/index.asp

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love parchment paper...you can also buy it in sheets!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
mmmmmm yummmmm cookies
I''m going to try that Butter Cookie Feast/party idea Deb. thanks
My 9 yr old daughter would love this

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I use a silpat to line the cookie pan and I have never had anything stick to it. It''s amazing. You can get one in houseware stores for around $20. Got my mom-in-law one for Christmas this year. A huge help in baking cookies for sure.

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Strmrdr and diamondsrock,

Thanks for the tips. I will try these out. I have lots of baking to do in the next few weeks.

Deb,

I am going to make those butter cookies. They sound luscious.
9.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I have this nutty drive to decorate cookies. I spend up to 25 minutes a cookie. My ginger bread men wear plaid vests and silver buttons and my gb girls have lace aprons and beaded jewelry. They are now expected to be spectacular...so no one says wow!!! anymore...

Last year I was running behind didn''t have enough GB cookies so I cut out stars in my gb recipe...then I drown them in this crystal like amber colored sugar called demera (mispelled) sugar. Anyway before I baked them I poked a hole in the top and after they baked a ran a red satin ribbon through the hole and tied it in a bow.

Guess which cookies got the most attention? Yup the stars. Did I mention PLAID vests? Some with red suspenders! Oh my little gb girls last year held a gb cookie themselves...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

The decorating is always what gets me...I don''t know how to do it!! I get really intimidated by decorating cookies. I was checking out the ones in the WS catalog today and contemplating the mechanical pastry designer or whatever where it supposedly makes it easier to decorate etc. When you guys FROST your cookies, what does that mean? So do you frost then decorate??

When you say that you string the ribbon through the stars, like an ornament, DKS? Very cute idea!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, DKS. You are now crowned "cookie baking goddess extraordinaire." I decorated cookies like that when I was a teenager one year, they didn''t have clothes or cookies in their hands, but they were pretty detailed, especially the Christmas tree shapes, those were my favorites. However, they just didn''t taste very good! The icing was hard and didn''t taste sweet. Is there a way to get a non-sticky (a la frosted) effect and still have the icing taste sweet? I think I used confectioner sugar and egg whites or something. It was the recipe for icing for gingerbread houses--maybe it was meant to be more functional than edible. Hmm. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to make sugar cookies in fun shapes and decorate the heck out of them for a cookie exchange at work this year.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Monarch,

Wish I had a magic wonder icing for you...it is egg white and powdered sugar! WIth GB it is a nice touch to add lemon flavor. But you can also use a quality vanilla, maple, or amond flavor. The recipe I use is one egg white and 1.5 to 2 cups of powdered sugar. I don''t measure just dump and I get my consistancy. I just realized my cookie recipe is an old fashioned ginger cookie that is quite strong in ginger and weak on sugar. Therefore the icing REELY tastes sweet. My confession I must add is I use my white icing for piping the thread look...and the outline of the clothes...but I then use Wilton icing tubes for the rest. Their icing is probably closer to what you are wanting. It is very sweet and has a butter cream flavor to it. You can also use their white for the outline as mentioned. But For that I would open the tube and squeeze it into a real pastry bag and smaller tip. The warmth of your hand will add in forcing the thicker icing through the tip. It may still need thinning. My powdered sugar/egg white recipe I use for the piping and outline is somewhat translucent...as apposed to Wilton solid white. But hte detail work I use the pure white. Wilton had fabulous green and red. I can''t make them that vivid that is another reason I use premade.

Oh thanks for the crown. I may have to relinquish it before I put it on...Since I am in charge of the Christmas gathering this year...it may only be stars they get. I will let you know of my plans within the week. Will the crown go to you next?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL as usual at your posts DKS! You can keep the crown for another year! Hee hee, I am but a 28 year old wannabe baker, and it sounds like you''ve had a couple more years of practice. I think I will try the powerdered sugar and egg white recipe once again, this time with gingerbread dough..and see how it goes. Do they make a premade gingerbread dough, BTW?
emwink.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock

Here are the cookies my sister and I did last Christmas. The cut out cookies are not some of the prettier ones. I like decorating them, but get bored after a while (you know, 5 hours

3.gif
) and then just want to finish them quickly.

So we did the sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies with the super cute red stocking and green tree chips, and brownie biscotti dipped in chocolate. They were all a big hit! But then who doesn''t like cookies???

IMG_0255d.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock

Snickerdoodles Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
1 C. Shortening - part butter
1-1/2 C. granulated sugar
2 eggs
2-3/4 C Flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp. colored sugar
(or 2 tbsp. gran sugar + 2 tsp. cinnamon) --use colored sugar to make them holiday pretty
INSTRUCTIONS
Heat oven to 400 degrees
Mix shortening, 1-1/2 cups sugar, and eggs thoroughly
Blend flour, cream or tartar, soda and salt add to wet mix
Make 1" dough balls
roll in colored sugar
Place 2" apart on baking sheet
Bake 8-10 min.
These cookies puff up at first then flatten.
Makes 6 dozen cookies

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Here my new favorite! They are quick and easy to make too... less steps than Toll House once you chop the chocolate (which could be done in a food processor)! I''ve been under baking them so they are more like brownies... yummy!
18.gif

BAKER''S® ONE BOWL Chocolate Bliss Cookies
2 pkg. (8 squares each) BAKER''S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, divided
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, slightly softened
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
2 cups chopped PLANTERS Walnuts

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Coarsely chop 8 of the chocolate squares; set aside. Microwave remaining 8 chocolate squares in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 min., stirring after 1 min. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla; stir until well blended. Add flour and baking powder; mix well. Stir in chopped chocolate and walnuts. (Note: If omitting nuts, increase flour to 3/4 cup to prevent excessive spreading of cookies as they bake.)
DROP rounded tablespoonfuls of dough, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased baking sheets.
BAKE 12 to 13 min. or until cookies are puffed and shiny. Cool 1 min.; remove from baking sheets to wire racks. Cool completely.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Monarch!! Gee whiz, girlie...you make me sound like a little ol lady in a rocking chair! I started cookie work in High School at 17 trying to convince a beau I was a catch. The cookies were magnificant but the girl with the long spiral hair got him. It wasn''t a cook he was after after all.

...but I did begin my baking at 17-and you are what 28??? Now whos the old lady?
emotion-5.gif
Just kidding.

Yes, betty crocker or pillsbury has a mix on the bakery isle. If you promise not to tell anyone...I will give you my BEST kept secret...promise? Ok...call your local bakery and ask for prebaked...non decorated cookies. THen spend your time on the decorating. I have HEARD this works well. Don''t tell any one. I am glad I am writing this in a PM instead of on the public board!!
emotion-5.gif
I am arent'' I?

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2005 2:55:57 AM
Author: monarch64
LOL as usual at your posts DKS! You can keep the crown for another year! Hee hee, I am but a 28 year old wannabe baker, and it sounds like you''ve had a couple more years of practice. I think I will try the powerdered sugar and egg white recipe once again, this time with gingerbread dough..and see how it goes. Do they make a premade gingerbread dough, BTW?
emwink.gif
Pillsbury makes a great one in the "tubes". I used to make gingerbread from scratch, but the tube taste just as good and is 500 times easier!

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
I''m sitting at home.

It''s snowing in DC.

I went home from work early. My kids are home. I made hot cocoa and slice and bake cookies for me and my kids. Warm slice and bake cookies are an easy decadent treat.

Life is good.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results