shape
carat
color
clarity

"Holes" in shank and diamond appearance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

I just got an awesome basket set three stone antique style platinum ring. Center stone is 1.07 RB, ideal cut, H SI1, next to it are two 0.17 ct RB, H VS2, and on each side are 5 pave set RB, H SI1. All the stones have great clarity and sparkle. But I noticed something that is driving my mind crazy. The two side stones look ever so slightly "hazier" or "whiter" that the mirror-like center and pave stones. It doesnt matter what light I am in for me to notice (no one else sees this but me,I guess b/c I look at it so much
tongue.gif
) and doesnt get opaque or funky in sunlight. I''ve cleaned it, soaked it, boiled it, and now its very sparklie but still I notice this difference. The jeweler noted to me before that the sides are premium cut.

I did notice that the pave stones and the center stone have "holes" in the shank underneath them, whereas the two sides are enclosed in the basket. The baskets have some detailing on them so it is hard to get a brush in there but like I mentioned I''ve boiled it with water and dish soap,etc to get in there. Could this being enclosed in metal cause a slight difference in the appearance of a diamond, like maybe getting some reflection from the platinum underneath it?

Could having a premium cut stone next to an ideal cut one cause a perceived "color" difference in the stones? I''m thinking this would only affect how sparkly it is, and all the stones sparkle well.

Could it be an optical illusion based on these smaller stones being next to one huge stone? I''m also thinking not.

Any comments to ease my neurotic mind would help. Thanks!

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Could be many things, if you are happy with the ring, pave, and center stone, then you have a fairly small issue no matter how it will resolve. It could be as simple as the inside of the area that the two side stones did not get polished so well, or may have some polishing compound still stuck around the girdle of the stone, it happens. Both a very quick fix. It may be that those stones have a little sleepy appearance to them that sometimes comes out more when set. If someone did that nice of a sale for you, they usually are quite happy to take care of small problems. Diamonds also attract grease so if a small amount of hand lotion or something got on it, that is possible also, but not likely if new. If you got it from a local place, just go back in. If you got it on line, ask if you can go have a jeweler check it to see what it may be. Most good jewelers will do this without being offended that you got it somewhere else. Just talk to the goldsmith or owner, not just a salesperson.
Hope that helps

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The holes in the inside of the shank could be to let what little light can get there to shine through the diamond. I have a band with three gypsy set stones (set into the band and kind of suspended I guess because there is a hole in the inside of the band.) I think it helps the light that gets in there shine through and make em sparkle. But if it looks unclean that way see if theres something else goingo n, maybe those stones are really heavily included? I think mine look white and sparkly and theres just a little reflection from the metal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results